Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arsenal of Democracy is out!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Arsenal of Democracy is out! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/23/2010 5:57:57 PM   
dogancan

and it is receiving good initial comments. I think I am sold. check the forum and the development diaries from here. Although it is a remake of HoI2, it seems to have regenerated HoI2.
Post #: 1
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/23/2010 6:03:48 PM   
freeboy

well it is only 19.95

(in reply to dogancan)
Post #: 2
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/23/2010 7:19:48 PM   
JudgeDredd

You know, I'm not willing to shell out MORE money on that game. I already bought the game plus the two addons. Whilst this might make it a proper game, I just won't justify it to myself...

However...looking at those screens, and in particular the part zoomed out map, makes me want to reinstall HoI2 and remove HoI3. I fins HoI3 map is quite useless in so far as zoomed out to an acceptable level gives no information at all (in particular all the areas seem to meld together) and zoomed in enough to see regions and detail seems too zoomed in! I do understand it's probably down to the number of provinces...but it does make it difficult to see the map detail at acceptable levels. (Tough crowd to please...I was one of the ones that always wanted more provinces for more tactical play!!)

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/23/2010 7:26:32 PM   
jjax

I am very much on the fence in regards to AOD. I have HOI II:DD and still play it to this day. But I am just not sure if there are enough additions to justify another purchase.

--JJAX

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/23/2010 8:01:51 PM   
killroyishere

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjax

I am very much on the fence in regards to AOD. I have HOI II:DD and still play it to this day. But I am just not sure if there are enough additions to justify another purchase.

I agree and with the way all Paradox games hit bargain basement prices not long after release now (HOI III was like $7.49 shortly after release) I'd suggest just waiting it out as it's not like you just have to have it right now? Or is it?

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 5
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/24/2010 2:59:55 AM   
Greybriar

I would buy Arsenal of Democracy in a heartbeat if it were available in a retail box.

There's this Arsenal of Democracy Release Trailer in case anyone would like to watch it. (It's just the into.)

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 6
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/24/2010 3:14:03 AM   
htuna

I'm tempted.. but how much better is it?.. would be disappointed if it just seemed like the same ole HOI II with a few enhancements.. not that HOI II is a bad game (had many fun hours).. but if there's not that much added to it, is it worth it?

Haven't even attempted HOI III yet, even though I bought it when it came out.. wanted to make sure it was all patched up before I dove in.. but even just starting it up.. just doesn't seem that attractive..

Again with HOI II, I had many enjoyable hours with..

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 7
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/24/2010 1:36:18 PM   
Feltan

Not going to buy it.

I have both HOI2 and HOI3. Many good hours of gaming; however, I am dismayed at the direction the games have taken. HOI3 is not as enjoyable to play as I had hoped, and I am not about to sink more money into a franchise in which I have lost confidence.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 8
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/24/2010 7:02:44 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

... I do understand it's probably down to the number of provinces...but it does make it difficult to see the map detail at acceptable levels. (Tough crowd to please...I was one of the ones that always wanted more provinces for more tactical play!!)

RE Pardadox, the reason they created more provinces in HoI3 was to enhance tac play by creating more avenues for armor penetrations.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/24/2010 7:06:56 PM   
JudgeDredd

I know....like I said, I was one that was looking forward to the increase in provinces...it just didn't turn out like I'd hoped. Sure the tactical level has increased as hoped, but the map is pretty useless zoomed out. There doesn't seem to be a happy middle ground for map zooming for me.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 10
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/24/2010 7:57:57 PM   
htuna

Resistance was futile!!!

Downloading now..

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/24/2010 11:54:39 PM   
bairdlander2

Let us know if its worth getting.Even though i felt ripped off by HOI3 I know AoD is not the same and still might get it.As I have stated before AoD should have been released before HOI3.HOI3 wasnt ready to be released.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 12
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/25/2010 3:26:50 AM   
Southernland

is there an arsenal of fascism or Communism (maybe even a arsenal of armed neutrality)?  or are these going to be expansion packs? 

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 13
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/25/2010 3:50:05 AM   
bairdlander2

"The Arsenal of Democracy" was a slogan coined by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in Dec. 1940 promising to help the British and Russians fight the Germans by giving them military supplies while staying out of the actual fighting. It was announced in a radio broadcast on the December 29, 1940, a year into World War II and a year before being attacked, at a time when Nazi Germany had occupied much of Europe and threatened Britain.So I doubt there will be an exspansion called "Arsenal of Facism" or whatever.They do plan on releasing a AoD2 with some features from HOI3 such as the diplomacy triangle and some others I dont remember.It should work out better than HOI3 as they are using the HOI2 engine which is very stable.AoD is what HOI3 should have been.

< Message edited by bairdlander -- 2/25/2010 3:59:08 AM >

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 14
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/25/2010 12:03:25 PM   
htuna

If you don't have HOI II yet then I would definitely buy it!.. if you already have Amegeddon, I don't know.. wait till the price comes down.. I'm not a 'hardcore' HOI II player, so the differences don't jump out to me... Think there's some more automation put in to make life smoother, but I haven't played in awhile so hard to critique.. Started a game as Germany, but still in 1936, so haven't really gotten 'into' the game yet..

Again if you don't have the HOI II series yet, then definitely worth getting, most seem to like it way better than HOI III

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 15
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/27/2010 7:38:00 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

Again if you don't have the HOI II series yet, then definitely worth getting, most seem to like it way better than HOI III

I sure like it better than HoI3.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 16
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/27/2010 8:25:58 PM   
freeboy

weell if you liked HOI2 it is HOI2 and that tweeked.. ai ruetines changed.. combat sea air all tweeked... looks to be MUCH improved .. so again if you like H2, my advice get it.. if you did not then you won't liek this version.. but it is a very much improved version..

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 17
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/27/2010 10:52:24 PM   
D.Ilse

If you have just HoI2 w/o addons and hardly play it, but HOI is just unplayable, is AOD worthwhile?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 2/28/2010 1:47:34 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.Ilse

If you have just HoI2 w/o addons and hardly play it, but HOI is just unplayable, is AOD worthwhile?

I think it is, and I did not like HoI2 with Doomsday and Armageddon installed. However some complain that the $20 is too much for too little.

You could go to the forum and make a decision from that. Here is the link Arsenal of Democracy.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 19
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 3/2/2010 8:11:46 AM   
D.Ilse

I meant HOI3..yea I was a sucker(feeling like the dope from Clerks(the movie) who was Ohhh, Navy Seals! buying HOI3)

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 20
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 3/2/2010 8:14:04 AM   
wodin

The whole RTS thing at this level turns me to mush. I bought the first HoI and couldnt cope with the clock ticking

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 21
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 3/2/2010 3:11:28 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

The whole RTS thing at this level turns me to mush. I bought the first HoI and couldnt cope with the clock ticking

I'm the same way with RTS games. If it were not for the pause function and the ability to turn the speed way down low, I would never have bought it.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 22
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 3/2/2010 6:30:23 PM   
Knavery

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

weell if you liked HOI2 it is HOI2 and that tweeked.. ai ruetines changed.. combat sea air all tweeked... looks to be MUCH improved .. so again if you like H2, my advice get it.. if you did not then you won't liek this version.. but it is a very much improved version..

Haha what if you only have HoI2 vanilla, and HoI3 vanilla, but have not played either because of the complexity. :)

That's my dilemma with games. Some of these games take more time to learn than I have or have the attention span for. Yet, I am still thinking of purchasing AoD. I'm mentally ill.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 3/2/2010 11:56:53 PM   
htuna

If you don't want complexity.. you should try World War 2 Time of Wrath... I almost didn't want to like it, when I first got it, cause I thought it seemed to simple.. Then I found myself totally addicted.. "Just one more Turn" type thing. hard to quit for the night... very easy to get into it quickly... but the game to me is still a challenge.. I'm still on my first game.. in 1944.. and the Russians are starting to create Level 5 Tank Corps.. that easily bust through my lines.. I sense I may lose this one and have to start a new game....

But again.. Easy to Get into.. and Lots of Fun.. a real I think people call it Beer and Pretzels type strategy game!

(in reply to Knavery)
Post #: 24
RE: Arsenal of Democracy is out! - 3/3/2010 12:00:56 AM   
Knavery

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

If you don't want complexity.. you should try World War 2 Time of Wrath... I almost didn't want to like it, when I first got it, cause I thought it seemed to simple.. Then I found myself totally addicted.. "Just one more Turn" type thing. hard to quit for the night... very easy to get into it quickly... but the game to me is still a challenge.. I'm still on my first game.. in 1944.. and the Russians are starting to create Level 5 Tank Corps.. that easily bust through my lines.. I sense I may lose this one and have to start a new game....

But again.. Easy to Get into.. and Lots of Fun.. a real I think people call it Beer and Pretzels type strategy game!

Yeah I own this one but have only gotten through the tutorial. I think I may give that one a shot tonight.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Arsenal of Democracy is out! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI