Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/22/2010 2:55:56 PM   
MikeS4269

[Michael U.... please don't look through this one!]

My arch enemy / good friend "Michael U" and I have been playing a trial game of WitP AE to get the kinks worked out before debating trying a full game together. I took Japan in the GC scenario (with reservations) and now it's Nov 1942.

I made my gambit for the island of GC itself, and after a slaughter unparalleled in recent decades, I was forced to pull back like whipped dog. Sure, troops are still on "Starvation Island", but there time in this world is being counted in days at this point.

Now I am in that point where I know the inevitable counterattack is going to begin. I have to sit back and take punches in the face until, what, April of 42 or something?

I wanted to start getting more and more troops to key places like Buna and Lae.

The last time I tried to get supplies there with transports (not APDs and DDs), I got a rude surprise from Port Morseby. Raid after raid came over, and in two days (we play two day turns), I had scores of damaged transports and oilers.

Having just lost ten to twelve transports along Iron Bottom Sound (and loads and loads of men), I flinch every time I think of Allied air power.

I just started loading a ten troop convoy with a full regiment (assault value at like 140) for Lae.

Should I even both trying to send them with Port M loaded to the gills?

I don't want another "Battle of the Bismark Sea" on my hands.

Still, if he skips Buna and goes straight for Lae, there isn't all that much to stop him from taking it. He might have a little McArthur in him with the cartwheels...... I feel I need to get something in there, and I've sent all my "Tokyo Express" abled troop to die miserably on GC...

-Lb
Post #: 1
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/22/2010 7:22:27 PM   
topeverest

FIGHT!

Seriously, follow your strategy, but as a rule I fight where I can slow down or beat the enemy. All you assets will be destroyed by the end of the game anyway when you plan campaign. Also...try air transport, it can work wonders for supply and lightly equipped units.

Andy M

(in reply to MikeS4269)
Post #: 2
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/23/2010 1:44:11 AM   
MikeS4269

I do plan on fighting. It's just a question of whether the transport run is a good way to do it or not.

I spent 110% effort to neutralize Henderson Field and the waters around GC for the big push in with my 25 - 30 transports taking up the rear. I lost the first wave of ten or so transports in a single two day turn. In a "full game" I would have turned back, but it was do or die for this shorter campaign.

Now, I am faced with the same dilemma with Lae and Buna. I can no longer send in the small units to shore up my defenses. I need to get those big regiments I keep getting for reinforcements. Right now, Truk is busting at the seams with huge amounts of troops and tanks.

How do I successfully get them into the area?

I can hear his plane engines starting up at Port Morseby already. Waves of 60 or more of them at a time!

I can see no way.....

-Lb

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 3
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/23/2010 2:52:30 AM   
topeverest

I agree it is tough at this point. It takes a different mind set to play when outright victory is no longer a realistic option.

I'm afraid I cannot answer apecifically due to the unique nature of your campaign. Take a close look at the VP conditions and how much more the Allies have to take to win. Consider how hard that is. In general, there are three strategies you can choose if you are cedeing the initiative. If you choose a counterattack strategy, you pulse in your air naval and ground forces at the point of contact. If you choose static defense, choose a single base or bases and throw it all in there. If you favor defense in depth, then spread them out and hope to slow them down. By not choosing one of these strategies, you are minimizing your chances of winning. Be dedicated to whatever strategy you choose.

FYI, fast transport is specifically designed for quick in and out. It has to be a combination of that and air transport to get troops to those forward bases

Good hunting...

Andy M

(in reply to MikeS4269)
Post #: 4
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/23/2010 3:23:23 AM   
Mynok

Fast transport is definitely the way to go. You have gobs of CA, CL, and DDs that can do this. You can also build up Madang a bit and use it for LRCAP over transport TFs. But it is certainly not a guarantee they'll all get through.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 5
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/23/2010 3:56:53 AM   
MikeS4269

Fast Transport cannot carry a regiment, can it? It also can't carry tanks and artillery, right?

Are my AKs and APs and all the rest basically useless at this point in the theater?

If I do decide to spread out the defense to three or four key areas (which I have), and I have the troops, is there no way to get them forward anymore?

-Lb

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 6
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/23/2010 5:42:48 AM   
Mynok

Fast transport can carry a lot of things. Enough of them can carry a regiment.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to MikeS4269)
Post #: 7
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/23/2010 10:10:45 PM   
topeverest

Please dont think of your assets as useless. Attitude is very important in these games. get a bad one, and you will make repeated major mistakes, and the game wont be any fun. I guarantee there are many uses for your AK & AP. There always is a loss rate when using forces in the presence of the enemy.

At a minimum, anything can be fodder / kami style in a naval battle when you are trying to resist a final battle outcome. You should also expect that your opponent will react in a certain way if you present them. That in itself is an opportunity for a naval and air battle on your own terms.

Fast transport does work very well, but it does risk different types of assets in troop and supply transport.

Good Hunting

Andy M

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 8
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/24/2010 6:45:13 AM   
MikeS4269

quote:

ORIGINAL: topeverest

Please dont think of your assets as useless. Attitude is very important in these games. get a bad one, and you will make repeated major mistakes, and the game wont be any fun.

Well said, Andy M.

I often wonder if I have the iron stomach it takes to play Japan in the full campaign game.

I still think that I don't have the answer to my original question though:

Can those transports stand a snowsball chance in the oven of reaching Lae / Buna with Port M full loaded with planes?

Should I cancel the operation and try something else?

As a learning game, this one has been huge for both Michael U and I.

-Lb

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 9
RE: GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? - 2/24/2010 4:07:55 PM   
topeverest

If the enemy has proven his ability to reach out and destroy your AP convoys en-route or at these bases, then another attempt is likely to have similar results. A fast transport mission when the weather forecast is poor probably is a better bet. You might also try air transport and sending a single small ship to see if that gets through.

Set fighter sweeps and caps to maximum for the next attempt. Sprint the ship in and see what you get. If you PM me the file, I will take a look and try to provide you an XO's opinion.

Andy M

(in reply to MikeS4269)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> GC Scenario - Jpn Troops to Lae? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI