Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have disadvantages?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have disadvantages? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have disad... - 2/8/2010 9:25:58 PM   
fflaguna

Are there any negative dice rolls for amphibious assaults or land attacks for an infantry fragment that was formed when it was put on a ship? For example, pretend a 100 AV unit is put onto four boats. Are there any downsides to sending 3x ships to hit a strong target, and sending the remaining ship to hit another target? Or splitting them between four targets?

< Message edited by fflaguna -- 2/8/2010 9:26:19 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have d... - 2/8/2010 9:36:38 PM   
aprezto

If you knew the targets had no opposition on them then I'd say this was fine. Since you could only allocate prep locations to the fragments once they were fragments (on board ship), and that units on a long journey on a ships take fatigue. I'd not like to find opposition, not only would your fragments not be very well prepared to hit the beach they are targeted with, but they'd be stuffed when they got ashore.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 2
RE: Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have d... - 2/8/2010 9:51:39 PM   
Smeulders

I also find that this sometimes has the tendency to put a lot of support on one ship and a lot of combat troops on others. If you split units for invasions this way, you may find your cooks storming the beaches, or that you have no support for your troops once ashore.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 3
RE: Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have d... - 2/8/2010 10:48:24 PM   
wwengr

Other than the fact that an xAK is about the worst possible choice of a ship to load an LCU on for an amphibious invasion?

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 4
RE: Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have d... - 2/8/2010 11:00:43 PM   
fflaguna

quote:

ORIGINAL: wwengr

Other than the fact that an xAK is about the worst possible choice of a ship to load an LCU on for an amphibious invasion?

Could be worse... maybe an AKE or something ;)

What ships would you suggest focusing on besides xAK and xAP for all of Japan's early invasions? All of my xAK-supported landings so far have unloaded all troops within one turn, or two turns in rare cases.

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 5
RE: Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have d... - 2/8/2010 11:25:00 PM   
wwengr

Well, the Japanese have limited choices, but for a short haul over the beach opposed landing, the LB is good (properly supported). They will completely unload in one phase

For over the beach landings, especially opposed landings, regular AP's and AK's are best. xAP's and xAK's unload slowly. Early in the war though, the Japanese xAP and xAK work as well as the regular AP and AK though.

The key is to get troops into troop space. When loading, ensure the TF you are loading into has more than adequate troop space.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 6
RE: Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have d... - 2/9/2010 2:59:55 AM   
Mynok

Agree on the troop space, but the reality Japan faces is she doesn't have enough to prosecute her invasion plans without using xAKs. There will definitely have to be some conversions made if invasions are intended after the early war bonus goes away.

I've been upgrading to APs as fast as I can in my Guad scenario for just this reason. Still...one should always divide a unit among multiple ships for any invasion just to limit losses. Even if they are just xAKs.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 7
RE: Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have d... - 2/9/2010 3:22:56 AM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Agree on the troop space, but the reality Japan faces is she doesn't have enough to prosecute her invasion plans without using xAKs. There will definitely have to be some conversions made if invasions are intended after the early war bonus goes away.

I've been upgrading to APs as fast as I can in my Guad scenario for just this reason. Still...one should always divide a unit among multiple ships for any invasion just to limit losses. Even if they are just xAKs.

I agree. I drifted off topic with my quick response and then sort of ignored the "early in the war" in my second response. Early in the war the xAK's are fine, but every effort should be made to load troops in troop space and for opposed landings, understand the 1200 point unload per turn to get your troops ashore quickly and to divide the units up among multiple ships to avoid loss at sea.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 8
RE: Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have d... - 2/9/2010 2:03:40 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

... you may find your cooks storming the beaches ....

Every remf should have that experience at least once.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Does using xAKs to split LCUs into fragments have disadvantages? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI