Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

UK-USA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> UK-USA Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UK-USA - 12/30/2009 8:18:40 PM   
andym

There was a thread about a TV show in UK that sort of ended up as a sort of UK-USA Primer.Seeing as we are cousins(even if you did bin the Tea in Boston and Revolt against the King)I thought it might be interesting to post stuff thats "perculiar" to each Country in an effort to get a greater Understanding.So to kick off i thought id post this.Its not serious,but the accent is a genuine South Yorkshire one and reminds me of my childhood and Grandfather when i hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AcJSkUw6M

Oh ,yeah and heres the Words.

I'll never forget that first day at t'pit.
Me an' mi father worked a 72 hour shift, then wi walked home 43 mile through t'snow in us bare feet, huddled inside us clothes med out o' old sacks.
Eventually we trudged over t'hill until wi could see t'street light twinklin' in our village.
Mi father smiled down at mi through t'icicles hangin' off his nose. "Nearly home now lad", he said.
We stumbled into t'house and stood there freezin' cold and tired out, shiverin' and miserable, in front o' t' meagre fire.
Any road, mi mam says "Cheer up, lads. I've got you some nice brown bread and butter for yer tea."
Ee, mi father went crackers. He reached out and gently pulled mi mam towards 'im by t'throat. "You big fat, idle ugly wart", he said. "You gret useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock." ('E had a way wi words, mi father. He'd bin to college, y'know). "You've been out playin' bingo all afternoon instead o' gettin' some proper snap ready for me an' this lad", he explained to mi poor, little, purple-faced mam.
Then turnin' to me he said "Arthur", (He could never remember mi name), "here's half a crown. Nip down to t'chip 'oyl an' get us a nice piece o' 'addock for us tea. Man cannot live by bread alone."
He were a reyt tater, mi father.
He said as 'ow workin' folk should have some dignity an' pride an' self respect, an' as 'ow they should come home to summat warm an' cheerful.
An' then he threw mi mam on t'fire.
We didn't 'ave no tellies or shoes or bedclothes.
We med us own fun in them days.
Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see George Formby at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.
We'd lots o' things in them days they 'aven't got today - rickets, diptheria, Hitler and my, we did look well goin' to school wi' no backside in us trousers an' all us little 'eads painted purple because we 'ad ringworm.
They don't know they're born today!!!

< Message edited by andym -- 12/30/2009 8:25:12 PM >

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
Post #: 1
RE: UK-USA - 12/31/2009 5:47:54 AM   
Chijohnaok2

There is the little matter of us sharing a common language. ;-)

To check the oil in our car, we lift the hood; I believe you lift the bonnet.

If you live in the city, and take public transportation, an American may take the subway, while a Brit rides the tube.

An American may ask the person next to him to borrow a cigarette. A Brit would use quite a different word. A Brit looking for a smoke, and asking an american if he has any to spare, may find himself being punched in the nose.

I found a website that illustrates many of these diferences.
http://us2uk.tripod.com/index.html

Oh, before I forget, to an American, there is nothing more peculiar than haggis. ;-)

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 2
RE: UK-USA - 12/31/2009 4:01:56 PM   
andym

I can assure you to a Yorkshireman or Englishman,Haggis is also peculiar!When you get down to Regional Dialects it gets very tricky to those that dont live in the UK.For instance,up in the North west,The Lake District,there is an ancient dialect spoken by a few remaining souls which is fully understood by Scandinavians today.We do share alot of common dialectic words with scandinavia.In certain parts of Scotland and North England the work for church is Kirk,which is similar to the german Kirche.Also the term "Geld" for money is used in parts of Yorkshire the same as the german word.I also beleive the UK and the US have a different meaning for the word "Beer"

(in reply to Chijohnaok2)
Post #: 3
RE: UK-USA - 12/31/2009 9:22:38 PM   
Jevhaddah

quote:

I also beleive the UK and the US have a different meaning for the word "Beer"

..and fanny too

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 4
RE: UK-USA - 12/31/2009 10:26:14 PM   
jwarrenw13

Just remember, in America we still call the language English.  However, I teach English in high school, and technically we call it American English.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 5
RE: UK-USA - 1/1/2010 12:49:06 AM   
Doggie

We all know the English language evolved from it's primitive roots amongst the savages in the British Isles and eventually reached it's highest form in the mountains of Appalachia and the plains of the American southeast.

As representatives of one of the few truly civilized societies on the planet, we are far too sophisticated to make fun of our less advanced cousins on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Perhaps there will come a day when they will catch up.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 6
RE: UK-USA - 1/1/2010 12:57:23 AM   
Mac67

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

We all know the English language evolved from it's primitive roots amongst the savages in the British Isles and eventually reached it's highest form in the mountains of Appalachia and the plains of the American southeast.

As representatives of one of the few truly civilized societies on the planet, we are far too sophisticated to make fun of our less advanced cousins on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Perhaps there will come a day when they will catch up.

England and the Usa, separated by a common language and a bloody great ocean. Thank Christ!

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 7
RE: UK-USA - 1/1/2010 7:28:30 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac67

England and the Usa, separated by a common language and a bloody great ocean. Thank Christ!

Good thing. I can only imagine the insanity it'd cause if we were somehow unified in breeding out everyone else. Damn Spaniards are testing us!

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 8
RE: UK-USA - 1/2/2010 11:54:13 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym

I thought it might be interesting to post stuff thats "perculiar" to each Country

The (so called) United Kingdom is a state (in both senses of the word) made up of countries; the United States is a country made up of states. No wonder we get confused.

< Message edited by CSO_Talorgan -- 1/2/2010 11:55:11 PM >

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 9
RE: UK-USA - 1/3/2010 5:17:20 PM   
andym

Well seeing as "British English" was born before "American English" i use the word "Country" as opposed to State.One thing always coinfuses me about the US,and thats your Police.You have County Sherrifs,State Troopers,Highway Police,Federal Police,so whats that all about?In UK we have Police Constabularies for each County including The City of London(which is a special case) and the Transport Police,its a lot simpler.

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 10
RE: UK-USA - 1/3/2010 6:36:45 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

... You have County Sherrifs,State Troopers,Highway Police,Federal Police,so whats that all about?In UK we have Police Constabularies for each County including The City of London(which is a special case) and the Transport Police,its a lot simpler.

Sherrif, as in the "Sherrif of Nottingham"?

"Sheriff is both a political and a legal office held under English common law, Scots law or U.S. common law, or the person who holds such office. The term 'sheriff' originates from the older office position of 'shire reeve'. "

And it gets better: see http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/sherrif

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 11
RE: UK-USA - 1/3/2010 7:02:32 PM   
Jeffrey H.

And some people still refer to the inch-pound system of units as "English" units, even though the English don't use them for the most part. Slowly the inch-pound system of units is becoming known as "US Customary" or something along those lines.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 12
RE: UK-USA - 1/3/2010 7:44:48 PM   
andym

The Office of Sherrif of Nottingham etc is no longer a position for a Constable or Copper.Its now more of Ceremonial position.I do beleive that Mr Steven Segal is a Sherrif.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 13
RE: UK-USA - 1/3/2010 8:00:34 PM   
bairdlander2

Canada and USA also use different words.We call a chesterfield a couch and USA calls it "sofa".We call soft drinks pop,USA calls them "soda".As Brett Hart once said "The USA is the world's largest open toilet"

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 14
RE: UK-USA - 1/4/2010 11:13:44 AM   
sprior

"American English" is a dialect as much as Geordie or Brummie is. And Scots come to that.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 15
RE: UK-USA - 1/4/2010 1:45:54 PM   
Karri

English is a good language, unless you're speaking with the british in which case you won't undrestand a word unless they for some reason decide to drop the accent. Get's only worse in Ireland.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 16
RE: UK-USA - 1/4/2010 5:46:23 PM   
andym

Karri,have you ever tried speaking to a Scouser?First you need to have your pockets sewn up and your wallet welded to your body,then comes the language,its an immense mass of incomprehensive jabber,and i'm English!

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 17
RE: UK-USA - 1/4/2010 8:24:28 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

And Scots come to that.

Scots Standard English (SSE) is a dialect; Scots is a language.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 18
RE: UK-USA - 1/4/2010 9:27:12 PM   
andym

How can this be Scots English????

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty
Wi bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murdering pattle.

I'm truly sorry man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, earth born companion
An' fellow mortal!

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen icker in a thrave
'S a sma' request;
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't.

Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!
An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
O' foggage green!
An' bleak December's win's ensuin,
Baith snell an' keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,
An' weary winter comin fast,
An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
Thou thought to dwell,
Till crash! the cruel coulter past
Out thro' thy cell.

That wee bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,
Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
Now thou's turned out, for a' thy trouble,
But house or hald,
To thole the winter's sleety dribble,
An' cranreuch cauld.

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Still thou are blest, compared wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 19
RE: UK-USA - 1/4/2010 9:35:12 PM   
leastonh1

quote:

If you're talking about our American friends....it'll never happen!! For one thing, they drive on the wrong side of the road. Nuts!

Doggie, I'm still not sure whether you are English or American, so can't decide whether to be insulted or your best friend

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 20
RE: UK-USA - 1/4/2010 9:50:55 PM   
Doggie

I was born in West Virginia, the most advanced of the fifty United States. Here is a typical evening in the mountains

I do maintain a venue for culturally culturally deprived Britons

As you can see, civilized people are in a constant state of confusion trying to translate British to English. My moderator is some drunk from Scotland who is barely coherent, but he was elected by the popular vote of his peers.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 21
RE: UK-USA - 1/4/2010 9:59:48 PM   
leastonh1

quote:

I was born in West Virginia, the most advanced of the fifty United States. Here is a typical evening in the mountains

Ahh, that explains a great deal. You do have my deepest sympathy.

quote:

I do maintain a venue for culturally culturally deprived Britons

I've seen the forum and even toyed with joining. When I finally visit the US and do find myself "cuturally deprived" as you so eloquently put it, I will be sure to drop by

quote:

As you can see, civilized people are in a constant state of confusion trying to translate British to English. My moderator is some drunk from Scotland who is barely coherent, but he was elected by the popular vote of his peers.

If you mean destroy our wonderful English language by translating to American English, then I'm not surprised by the confusion. You yanks never cease to confuse the hell out of me. As for the Scottish. Well, I'm English with a fair portion of Irish blood in me, and proud of it. Yet, I lost my heart to Scotland when I saw those Highlands. I won't even begin to attempt a poor and woefully inadequate description of the jewel that is Edinburgh. Beautiful.

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 22
RE: UK-USA - 1/8/2010 8:09:24 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

How can this be Scots English????

Exactly!

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 23
RE: UK-USA - 1/9/2010 3:30:43 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

If you're talking about our American friends....it'll never happen!! For one thing, they drive on the wrong side of the road. Nuts!

Nuts ? You think that side you're on is correct ? You've got a real problem. You guys have ruined many otherwise safe and sane societies with your cack handedness and driving. Give it a break will ya ? I almost got ran over in more countries than I care to think about because of your wrong headed driving preferences.

To think a guy from Leeds has the nerve to question the proper order of things. Sheesh !

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 24
RE: UK-USA - 1/9/2010 4:34:30 AM   
105mm Howitzer

And yet, the rest of the colonies stand silent, as if waiting for the outcome...What of Canada? Australia? NZee? or even India? The King's British WAS exported to areas beyond the USA's.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 25
RE: UK-USA - 1/9/2010 9:50:22 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

And yet, the rest of the colonies stand silent, as if waiting for the outcome...What of Canada? Australia? NZee? or even India? The King's British WAS exported to areas beyond the USA's.

They're waiting out the conflict, as before. Though, you may be able to launch an attack from there.

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 26
RE: UK-USA - 1/9/2010 9:52:07 AM   
NefariousKoel

We get France!

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 27
RE: UK-USA - 1/9/2010 10:10:02 AM   
sapper32

I think most of the teenagers and kids here in the southwest of England speak American English but with an apple crunchers twang

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 28
RE: UK-USA - 1/11/2010 12:19:31 AM   
Fred98

Civilised countries eat chips.

Americans eat French Fries.

-

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 29
RE: UK-USA - 1/11/2010 12:25:11 AM   
newoldposter

I have lived in both places...french fries taste better than chips..however the UK is the place for good curry..so its a trade off

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> UK-USA Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI