Was on the verge...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

Was on the verge...

Post by JudgeDredd »

...of buying Rise of Flight. Tallied up all the extra planes and bundles and software and it was coming to a cool £61 ($97).

Trouble is I went to the forumsto check it our beforehand and I have read quite a few posts suggesting it's still got issues...

I'm very scared about spending this amount of money on a sim that doesn't work...I know some people have it here, does the game still have problems? What kind of issues have any of you experienced?

Thx
Billy
Alba gu' brath
Lützow

RE: Was on the verge...

Post by Lützow »

Why would you need to purchase all aircrafts?

Play the demo and see if you can cope with controls. I'd also suggest to read the review on avsim.com, because this one comes from a simmer perspective.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I have played the demo...twice.

The demo seemd to work fine for me...but I gather there are still lots of wee problems from my insight into the game.

And why buy all the aircraft? Why not? [:D] Seriously, yes...I could just buy the game at £24 and see then...but I still don't want to pay £24 if it's buggy. I already have HoI III taking that honour!

No, it's ok. I don't really know why I posted here except I knew a couple of people here have it...I just wanted their trusted views on it. I think I've read enough issues on the forums over there to have made my mind up

I will read that review though - thx
Alba gu' brath
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Great, I am interested in buying this game having just watched Red Baron.... now I can sit back and await your judgement. Go on buy it, play it and reveal all......[;)]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

When you don't need an internet connection to play off line, (and for now, you do, though I heard that might be fixed.), it will make my list.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

Hi Judge,

I bought this just the other day along with all the extra aircraft and I am having a great time with it. I've not encountered any critical bugs to date and it seems to work fine for me. I've only platyed single player missions and I am having a great time fighting the AI. I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer so single player missions will be my main mode of play.

Each aircraft behaves very differently making them unique to fly which makes for good longevity in my book. Dog fighting is tense, the missions are varied and the realism seems pretty high. I was a big player of Red Baron and the campaigns and missions remind a little of that game.

I use a Saitek X52 and the game recognises all keys buttons and axes without any trouble.

I'm not really too pleased with the requirement to log on to play, but the developers have anounced that single player campaigns and missions will be made available offline in a future patch. I've no reason to doubt this as they seem to be patching the game quite regularly taking into account user comments.

All in all, if you are in to flight sims, I recommend you pick it up. Other gamers have experienced bugs but I've not encountered any.

There is also a bundle deal on at the moment for the extra planes so it's a good time to buy.

A great and enjoyable flight sim experience!

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

When you don't need an internet connection to play off line, (and for now, you do, though I heard that might be fixed.), it will make my list.
That is the one major important thing holding me back
Alba gu' brath
uncc

Post by uncc »

There is another choice! Go check out Over Flanders Fields: Beyond Heaven and Hell.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/info.htm

This is a great WWI flight sim. You'll also need a copy of CFS3, but don't let that dissuade you*. OFF BHaH is an add-on to CFS3 that completely changes CFS3. I know CFS3 never had a great reputation, but what the developers did with OFF BHaH is nothing short of amazing. Dozens of flyable aircraft, thousands of skins, check out all the features.

OFF BHaH is actually the 3rd iteration (or phase). Phases 1 and 2 were freebies, but believe me, OFF BHaH is worth the price ($29). Also, they just released the first add-on, Hat in the Ring ($19)

Heres a link to the forums. Check it out...

Heres a list of some of the flyable aircraft:

Albatros DII, DIII, DVa
DFW C.V
Fokker EIII, Dr1, DVII, EV**
Halberstadt DII
Hannover CIII
Pfalz DIIIa
Roland CII

Airco DH2, DH5**
Bristol F2B, Scout
RAF F.E.2.B, BE2C, RE8, SE5a
Nieuport 11, 16, 17, 24**, 28**
Sopwith Strutter, Camel, Pup, Triplane
Spad VII, XIII

** -- part of the Hat in the Ring add-on

* from the OFF website:
Note: Some of you may be instantly put off trying OFF BH&H because it is based on the CFS3 engine. There is a lot of prejudice found against even trying OFF BH&H because of CFS3 reputation, some of it deservedly earned by CFS3! HOWEVER we can assure you (as many users will attest in our forums!) once you play OFF BH&H you will realise it is a TOTAL REVAMP and a TOTAL TRANSFORMATION of CFS3, into a stunning, absorbing, addictive, immersive and enjoyably WW1 flight simulation. Most of the annoying parts of CFS3 are gone, many new features are added, great AI, High Res Scenery, Flight models, Damage models etc.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
htuna

Post by htuna »

9 bucks to ship a DVD!!! [:@]
uncc

Post by uncc »

I agree that the shipping is high, but the devs are a small company (actually the main developers are spread out across the globe) who had to out-source that part of it. The Hat in the Ring add-on is a download...
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Before I address Rise of Flight, I also have the "Over Flanders Fields" mod for M$ Combat Flight Sim 3, and it's great!

But....

IMO, not quite as great as RoF will be.

So, Judge Dredd.....

Yes, many people are still experiencing various issues. A new patch(v1.010) just came out on 12/23 which seems to have fixed a great deal of what was broken. Some folks are having stuttering issues with Track IR, but my Track IR 4 works just fine with it. Other problems seem to be related to video issues, but there again I haven't had these, either.

What I can say is that if you are a WWI flight sim nut, you can't live another day without RoF (or OFF for that matter). It's not perfect, and there are still some things missing(functioning wind socks being one of the features most whines about), but it's the most impressive, immersive flight sim I've ever flown. The flight models, damage model and physics just feel so right and real.

Did I fail to mention that you can see rips in the fabric of the canvas in your target as your bullets strike home? Or, the pieces of wing/struts/bracing that fall apart and flutter away after you've nailed them? Or the engines and fuel tanks that leak fluid and catch fire and roast your opponent all the way down to his fiery grave? [:D]

Of course, YMMV.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

That is the one major important thing holding me back

The place to go for info: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/f ... Great.html
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
htuna

Post by htuna »

Original: uncc

I agree that the shipping is high, but the devs are a small company (actually the main developers are spread out across the globe) who had to out-source that part of it. The Hat in the Ring add-on is a download...

Yes.. but Microsoft Combat Flight Simultor 9.99 (free shipping at Amazon) plus that add on 29.99 + 9.00 = 48.98....
I can get that Rise of Flight on Direct 2 Drive for 39 bucks.. or on Amazon with free shipping..

Only thing is the scary DRM... you guys think they'll fix it in a patch? I don't mind Steam, where you can go into offline mode... but to have to always be connect to their server even to play single player is ridiculous!
htuna

Post by htuna »

Off topic.. that Message board for Rise of Flight has link to a Model Website that looks like an awesome product!!! WW I in 1/32 scale!... a little pricey for a plane, but the kits look awesome!
WingNuts Models
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I am very interested in this but I refuse to pay $97 even with the 'discounted' bundles. I do not care if they are a small developer or not. $7.62 is simply too much money to pay for a single aircraft. It also does not help that the screen shots I have seen look like the graphics are IL-2 quality.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Where is a good place to download the demo? I do not want to have to register at fileplanet and the developer does not seem to offer the demo on their website. I also need a reasonably fast website since the demo is 2.6 GB
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Judge

check with the bundles, that may cut the cost down some (my hassle was I bought some of the planes before the bundles came out)

I had some trouble with it, but that was on my end, once I got it going again, it was fine

overall, I think it is a good sim, but think it got a chance to be one of the better ones down the road

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Thx all. The price I stated was looking at the bundles.

I think I'm going to give it a go...got some Christmas money to spend, and I haven't had a WWI flight sim since the Red Baron (I think)

As for OFF - I had looked into it before, but the cost of shipping put me right off. If I can't get cheap shipping or digital download, it's a no sale. I hate wasting money on shipping...it's money that can go to a good game!

So why don't they have the game as DD but they do for the addon? If they got their act together and sold the game via digital download, I'd pay today.

RoF is the easiest option, so I'll take a punt on it. I WILL have to get the aircraft though as they are in bundles
Alba gu' brath
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Good man, Judge. You'll probably want to spend some quality time adjusting the response curves for your joystick and rudder pedals. I found that the default curve is too sensitive for my ham-fisted flying style.

Oh, word to the wise: After you adjust your video/audio settings in the config utility, don't use that same utility for setting up your controls. There's currently a bug where if you make a profile in that utility, and then make changes to it from inside the game itself, you can corrupt the profile.

It's best to create a profile and set up your response curves and program your HOTAS buttons from inside the game. You can do this while inside the hanger, or even more handy....after you start a mission you can pause the game using "p" and then bring up the menu to fiddle with your controls with a right mouse click. That way, you can make adjustments to your profile and test them out quickly and efficiently. I recommend selecting a "free-flight" mission where all you do is fly around and enjoy the scenery and practice your take offs and landings. 

Make sure to program a "blip" switch to one of your buttons, you'll need it for all the rotary engine planes. You may also use manual fuel mixture and radiator adjustment, too. But that's optional.

I highly recommend reading this RoF newbie guide: http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2517

There's a lot of good info in there, especially the info about which planes have the ability to use manual mixture and/or radiator settings.

Good luck and I hope you have fun! [8D]
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Hartford688

Post by Hartford688 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Thx all. The price I stated was looking at the bundles.

I think I'm going to give it a go...got some Christmas money to spend, and I haven't had a WWI flight sim since the Red Baron (I think)

As for OFF - I had looked into it before, but the cost of shipping put me right off. If I can't get cheap shipping or digital download, it's a no sale. I hate wasting money on shipping...it's money that can go to a good game!

So why don't they have the game as DD but they do for the addon? If they got their act together and sold the game via digital download, I'd pay today.

RoF is the easiest option, so I'll take a punt on it. I WILL have to get the aircraft though as they are in bundles

Good choice and game. Impressed at the no messin', go buy all the planes approach! Even the Pfalz D XII...

Re OFF, agreed the shipping is a pain...but at $30 for the game itself, it does not add up too badly. Good offline game. The no download option may be to do with the file size - it is about 3.5 GB. But I'm guessing.

Return to “General Discussion”