Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Updated roadmap! A look beyond...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Updated roadmap! A look beyond... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/22/2009 2:46:13 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

A few things to look for in my development! NOTE: The below is subject to change and not final but you should know that there is work to be done and I'm here to do it!

Simultaneous Diplomacy and Economic in PBEM. YEP, that's right you no longer need wait on your buddy!

Integrated Email transfer for PBEM. Turn files will auto send when turn is ended.
Integrated ZIP file creation for PBEM. Turn files created in the COMMOUT dir will auto zip! ZIP files placed in the COMMIN folder will auto extract!

AI improvements for diplomacy. Will try to add some 19th century personality!
AI improvements for military. Will add more code to smarten the combat/military moves.

IP (Tentative)

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 1
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/22/2009 5:35:01 PM   
Mardonius

Great Stuff Marshall. I'd love to see some revised naval rules in here as well, at least as an option.

best
Mardonius

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/22/2009 7:03:35 PM   
Skanvak

Great, thought 1.11 should come before 1.10...

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 3
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/22/2009 7:53:33 PM   
bresh

I would, still like to see, options like no-quick combats for single corps. (As mentioned in couple other threads, its very unbalanced).

We still encounter a couple bugs at times, as far as i know, Host-editor cant fix bugs in ongoing games, but require Marshall to fix. This in general is a problem, since maybe someday Marshall moves on, and we are stuck.

In one of my pbm games, one of Turkeys, Anatolia Cav-corps seems to have changed "owner province" to Thrace. (We have no idea when it happend, and to avoid delay, we waiting to get it fixed, till we get another bug).

We also, still miss a several of EIA, options, that where almost 2 years ago, promised to come :).

Regards
Brrsh

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 4
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/23/2009 3:36:06 AM   
Dancing Bear

While I am ecstatic about sim dip and rein in 1.08. My thoughts on future work beyond 1.08 is there should be a return to the basics, in particular improvements to the interface. I hear a lot of complaints from those new to the game that the game interface is not very intuituve of forgiving. Some improvements along the lines that Larry suggested would help with this aspect, along with a better undo button (or at least a warning when an action can not be undone).

Some minor changes to make the game more EIA like would be good too.

Post #: 5
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/23/2009 3:41:49 AM   
gazfun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

A few things to look for in my development! NOTE: The below is subject to change and not final but you should know that there is work to be done and I'm here to do it!

Simultaneous Diplomacy and Economic in PBEM. YEP, that's right you no longer need wait on your buddy!

Integrated Email transfer for PBEM. Turn files will auto send when turn is ended.
Integrated ZIP file creation for PBEM. Turn files created in the COMMOUT dir will auto zip! ZIP files placed in the COMMIN folder will auto extract!

AI improvements for military. Will add more code to smarten the combat/military moves.

IP (Tentative)

Improvement looks good, let me know when you are testing 1.08, my other tesing requirement are diminishing now, so its getting better for me

Post #: 6
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/23/2009 6:35:22 PM   
DCWhitworth

Marshall,

Are any of these updates going to include -

1. Dardanelles movement restrictions (Original rule 6.2.1.3). A crucial, non-optional rule from the boardgame that has been omitted.

2. Adding extra territories to new political combinations. In the case of the Ottoman Empire and Confederation of the Rhine this is compulsory in the board game.

3. The forced access rule. Another compulsory rule (albeit added by errata) that has significant implications but has been omitted.

4. A fix for the 'Too many units' error

Regards
David

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 7
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/24/2009 5:29:05 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Don't know yet. I will try to add what I can when I can. The four above issues may require a game format change which could obsolete older games so that is a consideration. It may be easier to add all of the above into one major update???

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 8
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/24/2009 6:21:38 PM   
DCWhitworth

Well all these issues are long, long overdue for inclusion having been requested pretty much since the game was released.

Could you use the recent idea of parallel installations (for beta testing) as a way of working around this ?

Regards
David

Post #: 9
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/26/2009 9:13:09 PM   
Skanvak

DC suggestion is good.

Thought I think that this point is moot as people having ongoing game will either chose to finish the game with the past game version or start a new game. The solution to continue a game with the new version is non existant as it will change lots of parameter that have lead to the current game situation. (imagine an english fleet which enter black sea, and cannot leave due to patch change.

The last point is that you will always have ongoing party so you need to decide a time and implement them. I agree that implementing them all at the same time might be better but the sooner the better (I guess DC will agree).

Best regards

Skanvak

Post #: 10
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/27/2009 5:42:40 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

Well all these issues are long, long overdue for inclusion having been requested pretty much since the game was released.

Could you use the recent idea of parallel installations (for beta testing) as a way of working around this ?

I cannot argue that these are overdue but they are some of the most complicated additions/changes. I simply do not have methods of working these yet. BUT yes the separate BETA installations could help here!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

Post #: 11
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/27/2009 6:40:08 PM   
DCWhitworth

Skanvak makes the point very well here. There will *never* be a good time to make these changes as there will always be ongoing games

These need to be dealt with, and keep getting pushed back because of the difficulties. At some point they need to be looked at seriously, not continually deferred.

Regards
David

Post #: 12
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/27/2009 8:07:44 PM   
Dancing Bear

Hi Marshall
are all the changes complicated or are some easy? Can we do the easy ones?

What about some of the other EIA features we could be added? British trainning, Napoleon's decreased ratings with time, increase to Prussian tactial corps rating in 1810, voluntary fleet scuttling, restrictions on territorial losses, adding manpower to vp totals at the end of the game, limits to number of corps supplied by depots, and likely a few others. Are any of these relatively easy to implement?

I'd also push for improvements suggested by Larry in other posts (and by a few others) to make the game much more intuitive, particularly for the beginners.

Post #: 13
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/29/2009 1:33:50 PM   
Spartan07

Great work Marshall. For me whatever we can do to increase the game speed in Pbem has my priority. I see you have some plans to automate email trun sending. It would be really nice to be able to control click on all the countries you wish to send a diplo message to. t the moment we can do one at a time or all. Along with all the other nice things eveyone works.

Getting closer all the time and still having fun along the way.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike - Nego

(in reply to Dancing Bear)
Post #: 14
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/29/2009 9:17:30 PM   
Dancing Bear

I think for PBEM speed improvements, we down to the following options

1. A land phase skipping
2. Option to delay cav reinforcements a month
3. Ability to roll calendar forward over several months to skip a season
4. No file exchange for seige battles
5. Option to have battles completed on opponents computer (i.e. no file exchange after chits are selected, useful for battles where reinforcement and guard commitments are not required, with pre-set pursuit selected).
6. Trival battles

(in reply to Spartan07)
Post #: 15
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/29/2009 11:06:37 PM   
gazfun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

IP (Tentative)

I dont want to seem to be pushing the barow all the time, but is there going to be reinforcements enabled in the Third Party Combat system, somewhere here

Post #: 16
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 12/30/2009 12:49:44 AM   
pzgndr

Mantis has an unused Roadmap feature?  Maybe Marshall and Del could start grouping issues together for future versions, at least the next 2 or 3 out.  These would be estimates of course, but it would be helpful to see a bigger picture than just a couple of bullets.  The v1.08 change log already has a couple dozen resolved issues besides just #68 Simultaneous Diplomacy and Economic in PBEM.

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 17
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 1/4/2010 2:24:59 PM   
Marshall Ellis

I could do that but my changes forecast change so much :-). At the moment I am very dynamic in what I am adding and when. I'm afraid that If I did do this it would not be very accurate!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 18
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 1/5/2010 3:53:51 PM   
Sorta

I second (or third) the focus on PBM speed issues - Simultaneous Diplomacy and Economic would be a significant improvement.

I realise that there are many other requests but speed seems to me to be a priority over gameplay improvements as the game is playable and fun right now.

Thanks for continually improving the game.

Post #: 19
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 1/6/2010 2:29:23 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Thanks Sorta! That is still our focus for 1.08! I realize that the AI needs some help but I don't want the builds to get too big which increases testing time and slows our release rate!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Sorta)
Post #: 20
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 1/6/2010 5:55:29 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

the game is playable and fun right now

Wow, be careful, there are a couple folks around here who will disagree with you.

quote:

I realize that the AI needs some help but I don't want the builds to get too big

There seems to be some misconceptions that the proposed AI improvements will be a major effort detracting from all other work. I don't see it that way. A few modest improvements in v1.10 should be the first of several/many iterations over time, not all at once. There should be balanced development between pbem/ip, AI, classic map and campaign, other scenarios, other optional rules, etc.

Post #: 21
RE: Updated roadmap! A look beyond... - 1/7/2010 3:00:57 PM   
Marshall Ellis

pzgndr:

Maybe I did not explain ... It's not the AI work is detracting??? It is that adding content to be tested slows releases! I was taking too much time for releases and so I need to draw the line for cutt offs a little more often.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Updated roadmap! A look beyond... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI