Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where the heck did those guys go....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Where the heck did those guys go.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where the heck did those guys go.... - 6/28/2002 10:17:41 AM   
msvknight

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but my Base Forces keep disappearing. Not the where did they go type vanishing, but more the "Hey they were there two months ago" type vanishing. I am presuming that it is malaria that is culling them down, but I thought that Base Forces were supposed to expand automatically when placed at bigger bases?

Am I going nuts? (On second thoughts don't answer that question)
Post #: 1
- 6/28/2002 10:38:39 AM   
Fred98

Would this be Michael Knight, the former Minister for the Olympics in the Carr government?

You did a good job :)

(in reply to msvknight)
Post #: 2
- 6/28/2002 11:06:26 AM   
msvknight

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I just go out and drive my talking black Trans Am

(in reply to msvknight)
Post #: 3
- 6/28/2002 12:39:15 PM   
Caltone

One of the base forces at a base should expand to cover the aviation support needs. Is the unit completely gone from the map? Have you checked the "list all land units display"?

Oh and say hi to Kit for me :D

(in reply to msvknight)
Post #: 4
- 6/28/2002 1:53:50 PM   
cpt_Venomous

only one way to dissapear, once your airfield gets bombed, in AAR you'll see how many man you're loosing, thats your Base Force personal, but then dont worry they usually get replaced, and reappear either in Brisbane, Truk or Naumea. Once you get those 100-150 Betty's and Nels over Port Moresby, your Base Force would expire real quick after few such strikes.

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to msvknight)
Post #: 5
- 6/28/2002 3:05:57 PM   
msvknight

They don't vanish entirely, but when you've spent three months building them some really neat barracks, its frustrating to find hardly anyone's living in them. My frustration stems from having enough support guys one day and having to evacuate aircraft the next because the support has dropped below the minimum.

I understood that the Base Force was supposed to expand, but in the Malarial zones, does this expansion exceed the losses to disease? I may not have played long enough to have observed it properly. In addition, do Base Forces ever get replacement units. I haven't seen one yet.

(in reply to msvknight)
Post #: 6
- 6/28/2002 6:59:00 PM   
cpt_Venomous

look in the manual pg. 114-115 it says it all

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to msvknight)
Post #: 7
- 6/29/2002 7:56:39 PM   
dgaad

Guys, this is a really simple problem that, I admit, the manual lacks details on -- though there is *some* information. But, if you have played the game and observed, its easy to figure out what's going on.

Basically, in a malaria zone, you will lose more men than replacements will replace. On average, you will lose about one Aviation Support squad in a base force every 2-3 days. If the Base Force (BF) is in a malaria zone AND is in a hex that does NOT have enough ground support, you can figure on losing an Aviation Support Squad about every day. It gets worse if the hex also does not have enough supplies.

The key is : don't think of a set of one or even two base forces as capable of keeping a base up at optimal (for what you are trying to do) for that base. If you want to keep a base at a certain level of aviation support, best to have some base forces back in a non-malaria zone and well supported, a central location where all base forces can go to rest and recuperate.

Here is what I do : I make sure I have one base in a non-malaria zone that has more than enough regular support, and a good starting airbase size. (note : lack of regular support will also cause attrition to all forces at the base lacking support). I mentally designate this spot (usually T'ville for the Allies), as the place where I will dump all my base forces when I get them as reinforcements, and where I will pull them when they've gotton depleted on the front line. On average, up to half of my Base Forces are back in either Noumea or T'ville, rebuilding. But, the ones on the front line are almost always at 85+% strength. If they were all on the front line, due to attrition, I'd actually have less available.

Stick with me here : usually, as an allied player, you want to keep PM up above 250 aviation support. So, what do you do? You get a couple of base forces up there that total 250+. After a month or so, they are worn down and you might be in danger of dropping below the key 250 level. What do you do? Oh My! You transport in 2 more base forces from your pool, and pull the two worn down ones out. The worn down ones will rebuild at about the same rate they lost squads, so by the time the new guys have gotton wasted from malaria, the old BFs will be back up to snuff.

A quick way to do all this BF shuffling is with air transport. I routinely move two Dakota groups to the hex that I want to pull the BF from, and I have 3 or more Dakota groups in T'ville, which can air transport the new squads in. Do this simultaneously, and it gets pretty seamless.

Here is an added bonus if you are allied for this strategy : Radar. Most of your base forces do not start with Radar. However, if you keep them in a non-malaria zone and let them build up to full strength, they just might get one or two radar squads. You do get radar squads as replacements, and they can theoretically get added to any squad. Air combat in a hex with radar benefits the side that has the radar. Watch the Japs shy away from air combat in PM now that your old but new again squads now have radar added. The only negative to a BF that now has radar is that you can't move the radar by air, you must load them on to sea transports. So, its actually a good idea to have a mix of non-radar and radar BFs. The non-radar ones can move quickly with Dakotas, the radar ones become a more permanent move. Usually, the malaria will kill off the radar squads, but not always.

If you have been following this strategy, at certain points of the game, you can go "offensive" and put all of your BFs up front, giving all your bases maximum 250+ support. The allies can do this because they have a lot more planes and airgroups. Prepare for it. Build up supplies first at the bases you are going to do this at, so that your bombers will fly when you make the offensive move. In the space of two days, you should be able to get most of your BFs up front, and pile on the aircraft at those bases. The enemy will be mightily suprised by the appearance of 150 fighters at a base that was previously only putting up 24.

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

(in reply to msvknight)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Where the heck did those guys go.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI