Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Can anyone explain these combat results?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Can anyone explain these combat results? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Can anyone explain these combat results? - 12/10/2009 5:03:09 PM   
Nemo121

Shark7,

Aye, I was joking a bit and referring to my rather sanguine reputation as a CO ;-).

You are, of course, correct. Just cause the first 90 died doesn't mean the COs won't order the next 90 forward etc etc.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 61
RE: Can anyone explain these combat results? - 12/10/2009 8:13:05 PM   
BigJ62

Number of devices x anti-soft value = firepower.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Very succinct summary.

Thanks Erik.

p.s.

Since you state that it's important for the players to gauge potential casualties by the firepower of a unit rather than it's assault value, where on the LCU info screen do we find the firepower values of the unit?

Where on the base screen do I find a summary of the firepower of the combined units in the hex as I find the combined assault value?

It's not something I have made a point of looking for, will I find it if I do look?.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 62
RE: Can anyone explain these combat results? - 12/10/2009 8:21:17 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

Number of devices x anti-soft value = firepower.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Very succinct summary.

Thanks Erik.
p.s.

Since you state that it's important for the players to gauge potential casualties by the firepower of a unit rather than it's assault value, where on the LCU info screen do we find the firepower values of the unit?

Where on the base screen do I find a summary of the firepower of the combined units in the hex as I find the combined assault value?

It's not something I have made a point of looking for, will I find it if I do look?.

Thanks. I am aware the data can be extracted and computated by the player if they want to invest in the proper teeth pulling pliers. (poking fun so please don't feel insulted )

What I was attempting to point out by asking the question I already new the answer to is that this very, very vital information is not compiled and displayed to the player right alongside the assault value (either for individual LCUs or bases) where it ought to be.

p.s. It was a somewhat fascetious question to illustrate the point. Erik has already told us of the difficulty of reporting that data to the player so it may or my not be moot depending on what they may decide to do with the next patch.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 12/10/2009 8:30:31 PM >

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 63
RE: Can anyone explain these combat results? - 12/11/2009 12:22:48 AM   
Kwik E Mart

Geez...if i can get a report of practically every bullet fired from a machine gun or cannon from every aircraft during an A2A engagement (not to mention "so-and-so's aircraft sprung an oil leak and is returning to base"), then why can't i get a report of each phase of a land combat? for example,

Allied ground losses:
1180 casualties reported (400 in indirect fire, 780 in assault phase)
Squads: 16 destroyed, 55 disabled (etc)
Non Combat: 39 destroyed, 36 disabled (etc)
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 9 disabled (etc)
Guns lost 17 (2 destroyed, 15 disabled) (etc)
Vehicles lost 26 (7 destroyed, 19 disabled) (etc)

at least then i have a chance to learn from the results...i whole heartedly agree about reporting AAMG's and such as "guns" in the reports as well...list them as something else...heavy support devices? i understand that this would be some work...and definitely was not a priority with the AE roll out or the first couple of patches, but this has been one of my "sore spots" since UV...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 64
RE: Can anyone explain these combat results? - 12/11/2009 12:26:48 AM   
Kwik E Mart

Theatre Commander: General, it says here in your report that you attacked the enemy at 1:113 odds!!! Explain yourself!

Army Commander: Well, I looked up all of our device values in the database and we actually had a distinct advantage in firepower...I think the results speak for themselves.

Theatre Commander:Very, well. Carry on then.

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 65
RE: Can anyone explain these combat results? - 12/11/2009 2:51:55 AM   
Jim D Burns

I think a big part of the problem we see with these results may stem from the sequential nature of combats in WitP, and the apparently still too overpowered effect of artillery in AE.

It appears that the Japanese artillery pretty much damaged or destroyed just about every single allied tank or squad that passed checks to allow them to be eligible for combat in Japan's fire phase (which apparently was first), so when the allies got their chance to respond, they had hardly anything left in decent shape that could shoot at the Japanese. So the allies take massive casualties and Japan is hardly scratched.

Had artillery not been so beefed up, then perhaps some allied equipment would have survived the Japanese fire phase to shoot back in the allied fire phase. But with artillery now so powerful, I think the sequential nature of how combats get resolved needs to be changed to always benefit a defender.

Or in a perfect world, the fire phase should be a mutual phase where all equipment gets to fire before results are applied to either side.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 12/11/2009 2:53:35 AM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 66
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Can anyone explain these combat results? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI