Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hex-based conundrum

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hex-based conundrum Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hex-based conundrum - 12/8/2009 10:29:00 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Guys, I need some help deciding.

I don't have much experience with operational level hex-based war gaming, except for some time with WW2: Time of Wrath.

I've played many complex war games in my day...like Forge of Freedom and Uncommon Valor, but they aren't really hex-based in the traditional sense of the word.

I purchased The Operational Art of War III a couple of years ago, but haven't sat down yet to learn how to play it properly. I'm at the point now where I'm either going to sit down and learn how to play that, or go with another traditional hex-based game.

Which game would you recommend that I dive into as a first "hard-core" hex game?

A) TOAW III

or

B) Something in the SSG line up like Battles in Normandy or Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets?

or

C) Some other game not mentioned?

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Post #: 1
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/8/2009 11:36:19 PM   
SLAAKMAN

I urge you to jump head first into the most glorious game to end all hex-games of all time;

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 2
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 1:02:29 AM   
Fred98

As to the SSG games, Kharkov is the best game engine of the series. By the time you learn the game more scenarios will have been released.

The game before that is Battlefront! It has quite a few scenarios and the game engine is almost the same as Kharkov ( a beginner wil not notice the differences).

As for TAOW, there is so much detail, i feel more work than fun - and not enough shortcuts to help you find things.

-

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 3
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 7:37:55 AM   
Arsan

Stick with TOAW!
Its a great game with a very good systema and you have hundreds (thousands??) of scenarios to chose from.
Take a look at the Korean war scenario. Its a great middle size/difficulty scenario to try after playing a couple smallish ones to learn the system.
Cheers

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 4
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 7:42:25 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

As to the SSG games, Kharkov is the best game engine of the series. By the time you learn the game more scenarios will have been released.

The game before that is Battlefront! It has quite a few scenarios and the game engine is almost the same as Kharkov ( a beginner wil not notice the differences).

As for TAOW, there is so much detail, i feel more work than fun - and not enough shortcuts to help you find things.

-

I think what he means is..By the time you learn the game another scenarios will have been released. But I agree, it's a great engine

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 5
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 3:03:30 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Hey Judge, let me know if you think Battles in Normandy is easier to get into and learn than Kharkov was. 

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 3:04:59 PM   
JudgeDredd

I'm expecting much teh same tbh. I didn't find Kharkov too difficult to grasp - though it was a tough game to play well.

I'll post in my other thread when I've went through the tutorials and played a scenario.

Post #: 7
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 3:06:27 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

I urge you to jump head first into the most glorious game to end all hex-games of all time;

I will, if they ever release it.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 8
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 3:08:39 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

Stick with TOAW!
Its a great game with a very good system and you have hundreds (thousands??) of scenarios to chose from.
Take a look at the Korean war scenario. Its a great middle size/difficulty scenario to try after playing a couple smallish ones to learn the system.
Cheers

Arsan, do you think the "Mons" scenario is a good one to use to learn the system with? I'm really a WWI enthusiast at heart and would like to try that one if it's a good one to learn with.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 9
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 3:16:54 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

I thought you were referring to "Battle of the Bulge", until I noticed the picture.

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 10
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 3:39:32 PM   
milkweg

I vote for TOAW, it is not hard to learn and has a ton of scenarios so has very good bang for the buck value. I have SSG Korsun Pocket and know it is supposedly a good game but just never got into it for some reason. I found TOAW easier to learn too.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 11
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 9:28:13 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg
I have SSG Korsun Pocket .............but just never got into it for some reason.

I found TOAW easier to learn too.

Everybody is different!

The games after Korsun Pocket were much improved and many shortcuts were added.

As for TAOW 3, I never got into it for some reason and found it hard to learn

-

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 12
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/9/2009 10:34:14 PM   
Arsan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

Stick with TOAW!
Its a great game with a very good system and you have hundreds (thousands??) of scenarios to chose from.
Cheers

Arsan, do you think the "Mons" scenario is a good one to use to learn the system with? I'm really a WWI enthusiast at heart and would like to try that one if it's a good one to learn with.

Hi!

Sorry, can't help you, I haven't played Mons
IIRC my first scenarios were Arrencourt 44 and Kasserine Pass, both WW2 (i prefer more mobile scenarios that the standard WW1)
But all this was with the older TOAW version (TOAW ACOW), back in the late nineties.
For what i see on my TOAW 3 scenario folders it seems it now has several tutorial scenarios, including a WW1 (Tannenberg).
They seem like a good place to start.
But don't forget to give Korea scenario a go. In itself it's nearly worth the full game price

Cheers

EDIT: hey! just checked it and it seems the TOAW Tutorial uses the first turns of the Korean scenario to teach the game basics

< Message edited by Arsan -- 12/9/2009 10:39:51 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/12/2009 1:48:35 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Guys, I need some help deciding.

I don't have much experience with operational level hex-based war gaming, except for some time with WW2: Time of Wrath.

I've played many complex war games in my day...like Forge of Freedom and Uncommon Valor, but they aren't really hex-based in the traditional sense of the word.

I purchased The Operational Art of War III a couple of years ago, but haven't sat down yet to learn how to play it properly. I'm at the point now where I'm either going to sit down and learn how to play that, or go with another traditional hex-based game.

Which game would you recommend that I dive into as a first "hard-core" hex game?

A) TOAW III

or

B) Something in the SSG line up like Battles in Normandy or Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets?

or

C) Some other game not mentioned?

I have both and would say TOAW would be a good place to start.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 14
RE: Hex-based conundrum - 12/15/2009 6:26:12 PM   
SlickWilhelm

What about Battlefront? Is that similar to BiN/BiI/Kharkov? Which is better, and why? 

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hex-based conundrum Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread