Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

monsoon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> monsoon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
monsoon - 11/26/2009 6:14:15 AM   
freeboy

maybe I am so tired I cannot read, but I do recall monsoon season being a serious need to await the patch, although in the word doc notes I did note see Monsoon... did the monsoon changes get put off till latter? or are they called something else?

ALSO

There are very generic sounding things like, changed supplies or combat etc.. will these be expanded upon?
Post #: 1
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 7:54:52 AM   
Andy Mac

Monsoon is in as a side effect of the new supply movement issues in the border region on Burma - so its in there but its not a full scale re write of th eweather model its a limitation of the amount of supply that can flow to bases along the assam/burma border when the monsooon season hits

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 2
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 2:09:43 PM   
freeboy

ok, does this show up in the regional weather map? not really sure what the supply changes are... will you be commenting on how the changes play out?
Thanks for taking the time to help.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 3
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 2:20:07 PM   
Andy Mac

No it doesnt show up in weather as I said we did not re write the weather system.

Its purely that for those bases affected when the monsoon hits which in that region is Jan - April the amount of supplys that bases can recieve per day is reduced by 50%

The main bases affected are the north Burmese ones north of Mandalay and the Assam bases east of Terapo plus Akyab and Chittagong.

The way the new restriction works is that the amount of supply a base can recieve per day is X x (Port+AF+Fort) so a base that is a trail base with no main road or rail connection may have a value of 50 say it starts as port 0, af 0, fort 3 then that means the base can recieve 50 x 3 or 150 tonnes of supply per day over the jungle trails.

During the monsoon season all bases are reduced to 50% of normal capacity therefore the base will only recieve 75 tonnes per day by land.

Thus the little unbuilt up bases cannot sustain huge forces

A single Div of 1600 devices consumes about 50 supply points per day if not in combat so you can see the importance of gettign your infrastructure built up along the Assam/Burmese border

A base with a road rail or river connection has a higher X value and so is inherantly more valuable.

Andy

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 4
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 2:34:13 PM   
Smeulders

Thanks, this formula for the max supply pull per day is very interesting. I take it this works for every part of the map ? Does this also mean that a base that only receives supplies once per week (because of low trace values), can only pull in this daily max one day per week ? This would make supplying bases in the jungle pretty hard indeed.
Last question, is all this new ? I think I've once managed to pull supplies tens of thousands of supplies up to Darwin using the supply pull system and the different intermediate bases, but according to this formula no base, not even something like LA should be able to get that many supplies a day pulled to it.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 5
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 3:49:23 PM   
Andy Mac

This is ONLY applied to key bases in the Assam/Burma border area.

So supplying in that area and therefore into China will be difficult

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 6
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 3:53:17 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

No it doesnt show up in weather as I said we did not re write the weather system.

Its purely that for those bases affected when the monsoon hits which in that region is Jan - April the amount of supplys that bases can recieve per day is reduced by 50%

<snip>

Andy

Andy,
I was under the impression that the monsoon for that area starts in June and runs into September? Please confirm dates. Thanks.

Dave Bradley

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 7
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 5:40:59 PM   
Barb

May-June to September-October was my impression on monsoon too 

The main campaining in Burma was done in dry "winter" season:
Japanese invasion in 1941-1942
1st Arakan Campaign 1942-1943
2nd Arakan Campaign, Ledo Road Campaign 1943-1944
U-go (battle for Imphal) - march-april 1944
IV and XXXIII Corps offensive into central Burma - spring 1945
Race for rangoon - until may 1945

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 8
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 6:08:37 PM   
Andy Mac

Yuh actually I am no longer 100% sure. I may have this wrong - its certainly in Jan - April at present.

What we have is the North East Monsoon but I think I have gotten myself turned round by the map angle because the area we are talking about should be more impacted by the south west.

"Burma has a tropical monsoon climate - cloudy, rainy, hot, humid summers (south-west monsoon from June to September); less cloudy, scant rainfall, mild temperatures, lower humidity during winter (north-east monsoon from December to April). The terrain is marked by steep rugged highlands surrounding central lowlands. Natural resources include petroleum, timber, tin, antimony, zinc, copper, tungsten, lead, coal, some marble, limestone, precious stones and natural gas. Burma is subject to destructive earthquakes and cyclones, flooding and landslides common during rainy season, and deforestation."

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 9
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 6:46:10 PM   
Micke II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Its purely that for those bases affected when the monsoon hits which in that region is Jan - April the amount of supplys that bases can recieve per day is reduced by 50%

The main bases affected are the north Burmese ones north of Mandalay and the Assam bases east of Terapo plus Akyab and Chittagong

Monsoon peak is definitly in July August in India.
I have tried to find Terapo on the map. It's in New Guinea west of Port Moresby.
Does there is also monsoon here ?

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 10
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 6:54:37 PM   
witpqs

My understanding is that 'monsoon' doesn't necessarily mean rain - it describes a weather pattern. According to the information below, in Burma the northeast monsoon has little rain and lower humidity. Meanwhile, the southwest monsoon seems to be what we are after - rainy and humid from June to September.

CIA World Factbook information for Burma

quote:

Climate:

tropical monsoon; cloudy, rainy, hot, humid summers (southwest monsoon, June to September); less cloudy, scant rainfall, mild temperatures, lower humidity during winter (northeast monsoon, December to April)

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 11
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 6:54:37 PM   
witpqs

My understanding is that 'monsoon' doesn't necessarily mean rain - it describes a weather pattern. According to the information below, in Burma the northeast monsoon has little rain and lower humidity. Meanwhile, the southwest monsoon seems to be what we are after - rainy and humid from June to September.

CIA World Factbook information for Burma

quote:

Climate:

tropical monsoon; cloudy, rainy, hot, humid summers (southwest monsoon, June to September); less cloudy, scant rainfall, mild temperatures, lower humidity during winter (northeast monsoon, December to April)

EDIT: Just reinforcing your source, in case that wasn't obvious.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 11/26/2009 6:55:11 PM >

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 12
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 7:03:51 PM   
witpqs

And here's a helpful map from Wikipedia:

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/India_southwest_summer_monsoon_onset_map_en.svg[/image]

< Message edited by witpqs -- 11/26/2009 7:36:15 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
RE: monsoon - 11/26/2009 7:11:25 PM   
witpqs

OK - how do I get that image to embed in the post?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> monsoon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI