Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Important Question to DEVs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Important Question to DEVs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Important Question to DEVs - 11/10/2009 4:32:23 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I thought there was lots to do on DG, but it depended on the era. Pre-1980 it was an armpit. After the RDF ships arrived they dumped billions in there. I was there in 1985. There were lots of pretty women, good welfare & rec services, good clubs, bike races, trips to the plantation (with British permission), sailing across the lagoon, etc. I was never bored.

Wow, I've only seen photographs including overheads from the likes of Google Earth and Google Maps - where did they put all that stuff? It seemed like there was room for ships, airplanes, and not much else!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 31
RE: Important Question to DEVs - 11/10/2009 8:39:55 PM   
Venividivici10044

Evil laughter in the background...Its November 10th...No patch today....sorry I had to say it

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 32
RE: Important Question to DEVs - 11/10/2009 9:50:58 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Some sailors would not even notice such things.  Of course, we actually spent time on board ships.  

Pfffft!

Beer every day!!!

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 33
RE: Important Question to DEVs - 11/11/2009 2:56:20 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Some sailors would not even notice such things.  Of course, we actually spent time on board ships.  

Pfffft!

Beer every day!!!

Chez

That explains a lot!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 34
RE: Important Question to DEVs - 11/11/2009 1:35:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I thought there was lots to do on DG, but it depended on the era. Pre-1980 it was an armpit. After the RDF ships arrived they dumped billions in there. I was there in 1985. There were lots of pretty women, good welfare & rec services, good clubs, bike races, trips to the plantation (with British permission), sailing across the lagoon, etc. I was never bored.

Wow, I've only seen photographs including overheads from the likes of Google Earth and Google Maps - where did they put all that stuff? It seemed like there was room for ships, airplanes, and not much else!

DG is a fraction of a mile across at the widest spot. At the narrowest, up near the curve of the "horseshoe", the IO frequently washes over the road and into the lagoon. Half of the island was not open under the treaty with the UK. "The plantation" area was unpopulated and kept as a memorial/shrine/whatever to the workers who lived and died there in previous times. Very limited passes to visit and photograph were granted by the British representative. Everything on the US side was fit in around the air strip. That thing was truly awesome. I don't recall the length, but it was built to take the SR-71 and fully-loaded B-52s. The 737 I flew in and out on didn't use a quarter of its length. At the wide end of the horseshoe they built all the barracks and support structures. When I was there I think there were about 6000 on the island, mostly contract workers from the PI and Mauritius. Military was only there to supervise the joint venture contractor; maybe 10% of the total. There were Marines to guard the magazines and invasion beaches, both USMC and Royal Marines. There were also some activities on the island better not discussed here for which the Marines were also present, and deadly serious about their jobs.

In terms of space, things like gyms, pools, sickbay, and PXes don't take up much room. We watched movies outdoors under pretty intense starlight. There were always people around, but you could go "up island" past the airstrip on a bike, or jogging if you could do a 15 mile round trip, and get alone time.

If you're active duty and ever get offered DG, I'd take it. It's a unique duty station, and you can save virtually a year's pay there in a one year tour.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 11/11/2009 1:37:47 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 35
RE: Important Question to DEVs - 11/12/2009 1:01:51 AM   
witpqs

Thanks Bullwinkle, very interesting.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Important Question to DEVs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI