Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tactical: How to Activate generals and Defend by Attacking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Tactical: How to Activate generals and Defend by Attacking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tactical: How to Activate generals and Defend by Attacking - 10/30/2009 10:40:06 PM   
MPHopcroft1

This is probably an alarmingly simple question but here goes: when a General is inactivated, how do you activate him? I've tried to play the First Bull Run scenario as the Union and can't figure out how to get McDowell moving (because, the way I see it, the only way to prevent the Rebels from taking Washington is to block the main attacking army). I'm also wondering in the same scenario how one saves Harper's Ferry from the Rebs.

The AI is probably unpredictable, but is there at least something I can try?

I iomagien that as the Rebs I would have the same problem with the defense of Richmond.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.
Post #: 1
RE: Tactical: How to Activate generals and Defend by At... - 10/31/2009 2:49:03 AM   
Arsan

Hi!
Each turn a leader "rolls" a die for activation. If he gets less than his strategic rating he becomes activated. If not, he will be inactive for the turn.
WIth the standard activation rule (the middle one o the options) an inactive leader can deffend normally if attacked but would move with a speed penalty and won't be able to use offensive postures (orange/red) at all.
So McDowell won' have problem defending Washington, but will definitely had it for taking Richmond, as he use to be active 1 turn out of 3.
Check the manual for this, and understanding activation and postures is one of the main parts of the game's rules.
For an introductory scenario, i would recommend you Shiloh better than Manassas. It's a little bigger/longer, but much more interesting ans with different strategic possibilities. Better to learn the ropes of the game

Cheers

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Tactical: How to Activate generals and Defend by Attacking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI