Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn Based Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Smugglers IV - Doomsday >> Turn Based Question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 5:51:11 PM   
Hanal

Well this game certainly slipped in under the radar...Can someone provide a bit df detail as to how turn based combat is played out? I just want to avoid any real time proxy...thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 5:59:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi JP,

I should note that we are planning to release an updated demo by next week. In the meantime though, the way the turn-based combat works is as follows:

Each combat round you have a certain number of Action Points (APs). Each action costs APs. For example, you may have 6 APs and it could cost 3 APs to lock on and fire a missile. It may cost 2 APs to fire your laser, perhaps 2 or 3 APs to actively use ECM to try to jam an enemy missile, or 2 AP to focus your shields, etc. You have to choose each round how to use your APs given the mix of actions. Some actions give you lasting benefits, for example for 1 AP you can taunt the enemy which can affect his accuracy, that can last for several rounds. When you've used up your APs, you end the round, the enemy now gets his round and then it goes back to you.

The various improvements you can make to your ship and to your own abilities can give you more things to do with your APs, various special abilities, or can increase or decrease the AP cost of some of the existing actions. For example, you can upgrade to a turbo-laser that can fire with only 1 AP cost, but has a chance of overheating, you can get a much more effective ECM system but it may take more APs to use, and so on. Each ship type has different upgrades, each career has different options for skill/ability upgrades as well, so battles can end up quite different depending on the choices you make both before and during the battle.

As you get to bigger ships too, things like crew composition and boarding actions come into play as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 2
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 6:05:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

I should also note for those of you who will try the demo that the game starts small, with you effectively piloting a small fighter or fighter-sized transport and you may not get much past that in the demo. In the actual game, once you break into larger ships and as the storyline continues, things open up a lot more and get quite a bit more in depth.

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 6:08:35 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Turn based space combat... sounds fun.

Yet another reason I should really just give up on this whole work thing.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net and www.skybirdart.com, copyright John Meeks

Post #: 4
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 6:12:31 PM   
Terminus

Shades of Master of Orion...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 5
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 6:41:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

... and it's up! Enjoy, it's a fun game and a great "casual" space game to entertain you when your brain needs a rest from grognard-level stuff.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 7:28:47 PM   
Hertston

I thought 1024 x 768 was bad enough, but fixed 800 x 600?!! C'mon guys, this is just getting ridiculous. You'll be shipping 'new' games with a DOS emulator next.

Post #: 7
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 7:40:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hertston,

It's not as bad as it sounds. The central play area stays at 800x600, but the star background expands to fill the available screen size. The net result is that it's not stretched or distorted and looks crisp and clear. This is not an ancient-looking DOS game and it runs fine on all the wide screen systems we've tested, it's a modern game but the main play area is small enough that it would work fine on a Netbook. I did not miss having a larger play area with this game, honestly if we'd described it as variable resolution I think no one would have noticed, but we felt it was more accurate to describe the size of the play area rather than how it scales the background to the whole screen.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 7:42:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

Here's how it looks on my 1440x900 laptop:

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 7:44:50 PM   
Mike Parker

When do you think the Demo will be up and where can we get it?  I wouldn't mind taking a look at this one.

Post #: 10
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 7:46:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

Our updated demo will be up next week. There is also an older demo at the developer's site now, but we don't want to overload his site.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 11
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 7:50:58 PM   
Mike Parker

No problem.  I have enough on my plate with messing with the WiF beta and WW2:ToW anyway :) I will be happy to wait till next weeks demo release!

Post #: 12
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 7:54:48 PM   
d0mbo

Ninja edit: Please be advised the review is about Smugglers IV, not the doomsday Variant. I am curious if there is much difference?

I found this review interesting, especially when looking at what is osted in this thread.

http://www.outofeight.info/2008/09/smugglers-4-review.html

Regards,
d0mbo.

< Message edited by d0mbo -- 10/20/2009 7:56:33 PM >

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 13
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 8:12:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

I think that's a decent review - it's definitely got a "casual game" style to it and that may not be everyone's cup of tea, though there is plenty of depth and replayability as well and it is a quality game within the sci-fi "space trading" sub genre. I would rate it a bit higher myself, it happened to go over well with us and we felt that it was under-rated and we should help that out by bringing it to our customers.

I will make one note about his review. He complains that the trade screen obscures the map and can't be moved off to the open background area on larger monitors. That has not been my experience with our release. I move the buy/sell screen over to the unused space and it works fine. That's part of why it's hard to really define the resolution on this game, the play area stays the same size, but it definitely scales the background to your native resolution.

Here's a screenshot that shows the trade screen moved over to the side of the map where it's not in the way of the main play area.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 10/20/2009 8:16:28 PM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 14
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 9:30:23 PM   
killroyishere

(nevermind on the open ended I read that it is) Best thing I read about it:
quote:

(Realistic supply-and-demand based pricing for those who love to trade)
When I read it has a realistic market that sold me as long as it's not linear. I just wanna space trade and pirate ships until I died.

EDIT: Also does the physical game come with a printed manual?

EDIT: What about random galaxies for new games do they change each new start or do the planets move within the galaxie(s) we play in?

EDIT: Can you show us a screenshot of boarding ships and innership combat? How many men/women can fight during innership battles? This part sounds a bit like X-Com in space. Will each member have their own stats like X-Com? That would be kewl. Can we name them?

< Message edited by killroyishere -- 10/20/2009 9:39:12 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/20/2009 11:29:53 PM   
JudgeDredd

Digital Express version m8...so no printed manual.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 16
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/21/2009 12:29:55 AM   
kaybayray

Sounds interesting for Beer & Pretzels sessions

I will check out the demo when it is up. I read through all the general game info stuff. Sounds like it may be kind of akin to some old games I really liked way back in the infant days of PC's. Stellar Crusade and Stellar Conquest. Old DOS games I ran on the first 286 I built. Although this is not quite the same scope but it looks like the same genre. Might be some casual fun. Could take a break from getting my head pounded in BTR or WITP

Later,
KayBay

It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/21/2009 12:46:25 AM   
killroyishere

I'm hoping the inner ship combat is like the old SSI games like Buck Rodgers or X-Com. Since it has no manual though I think I'm gonna wait and read the newer reviews. I didn't know this game has been out awhile and found some old reviews that weren't so good. Out of 8 only gave it a 5.

(in reply to kaybayray)
Post #: 18
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/21/2009 2:42:04 AM   
Rosseau

I am "up" for anything Matrix releases, but some of the comments in that Out of Eight review concern me. From what Erik says, the demo will not go so far as to fully flesh out the game. Unless this new version has addressed the "bland" nature of combat in the game, as described in the review, it's a wait-and-see for me.

Post #: 19
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/21/2009 4:37:16 AM   
Hanal

Well once I played Operation Barbarossa to death, then I'll pick this one up....

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 20
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/21/2009 7:40:09 AM   
Awac835

I just tried the demo. This game have crazy potential.

Defo going to buy it when salary is comming in the first.

Also looks like the game/franchie have really good support from looking at the devs own forum.

edit:

Oh well bought it good independent games need to be supported.

< Message edited by Awac835 -- 10/21/2009 7:49:06 AM >

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 21
RE: Turn Based Question - 10/21/2009 9:28:45 AM   
killroyishere

Where did you get the demo? Erik said it would be sometime next week before a demo was released? Is this the like old demo of the origional release? Link?

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 22
Mod potential? - 10/21/2009 1:48:58 PM   
rhohltjr

Erik,

Looking at the innards, do you think it can be modded in any way?

Etc, changing planet names or substituting pictures (face) ???

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

Post #: 23
RE: Mod potential? - 10/21/2009 4:34:33 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Humm , i may well give the demo a fair go at least .. looks interesting to me.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 24
RE: Mod potential? - 10/21/2009 7:03:30 PM   
killroyishere

Where's all the feedback? Usually new game threads are packed with impressions and inside information about the game. I didn't even get answers to my questions except from Judge on the printed manual (thank you JD).

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 25
RE: Mod potential? - 10/21/2009 8:04:08 PM   
Justascratch

I downloaded the game this morning and I'm having a blast. One thing for sure this game has wonderful game play and could easily be programmed up to a much larger scale to become a very competitive space epic. The interface is not clunky it is just limited to 800x600 resolution, but it is very responsive. I've been killed twice so there is definitely a reasonably competent AI at work.

I usually avoid the lower cost titles - glad I made an exception.

I'll try and post more specifics once I get a little further along - but so far I'm having a great time.

Post #: 26
RE: Mod potential? - 10/21/2009 8:14:10 PM   
JudgeDredd

I would probably give this a punt at the price, but I am snowed under with my model making, ED:BTR, Operation Barbarossa...and others.

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 27
RE: Mod potential? - 10/21/2009 8:15:07 PM   
killroyishere

Whenever you can spare a moment Justrascratch I'm very interested in the boarding combat? Is it generic or tactical? Generic meaning quick calc. Is there an option for quick calc? I'm a great fan of space trader and turn based tactical combat games. Anything you or anyone else can tell me about it as far as how it actually plays (screenshots are weak and don't tell enough information from the ones I've seen) I'd appreciate it.
I'm really surprised someone from Matrixgames hasn't popped in here for more info on it.

quote:

I would probably give this a punt at the price

punt? As in meaning you wouldn't buy it?

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 28
RE: Mod potential? - 10/21/2009 8:27:58 PM   
JudgeDredd

Punt as in "give it a try" as in buy

Give it a punt means give it a go in Britain (or at least, some parts )

Post #: 29
RE: Mod potential? - 10/21/2009 8:51:34 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Punt as in "give it a try" as in buy

Give it a punt means give it a go in Britain (or at least, some parts )

Punt in the U.S has the opposite meaning. basically on 4th down you "punt"the football to the opposing team.

How about some basic AAR? An early effort with a player getting destroyed would be a nice intro.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Smugglers IV - Doomsday >> Turn Based Question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI