Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help understanding LCIs and LSTs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Help understanding LCIs and LSTs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help understanding LCIs and LSTs - 10/4/2009 2:42:51 PM   
Mozo

Can someone please help me understand LCIs and LSTs (now that I'm into 1943 and I'm getting a bunch).

I tried the set the task force to Amphibious - but the next turn it changes itself to "landing craft". Then I had trouble getting troops out. How am I supposed to use these? The same as APs? Is there something special I need to do?

Thanks for any and all help,

Mozo.
Post #: 1
RE: Help understanding LCIs and LSTs - 10/4/2009 3:54:02 PM   
Terminus

LST's are for carrying vehicles and cargo, not troops. LCI's are small vessels, designed for hopping between close islands with very small detachments of soldiers.

To transport plenty of troops, use AP's.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 2
RE: Help understanding LCIs and LSTs - 10/4/2009 4:47:37 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

LST's are for carrying vehicles and cargo, not troops. LCI's are small vessels, designed for hopping between close islands with very small detachments of soldiers.

To transport plenty of troops, use AP's.

To be even more specific, LSTs are designed to carry tanks and land them directly on the beach. These ships are flat bottom and have a bow ramp for driving the tank directly off the ship into action. LST stands for Landing Ship Tank, though the alternative name of 'Large Slow Target' has often been applied by crews at various times.

An LCI is Landing Craft Infantry. These will often be carried piggy back on troop transports and then be used to ferry troops from the mother ship to the beach. Just ilke the larger LSTs, these ships are flat bottom and have a bow ramp for quick unloading.

In game, Terminus is absolutely right, these ships are best used on short transports with small amounts of troops and cargo.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Help understanding LCIs and LSTs - 10/4/2009 10:16:16 PM   
FOW

Don't know why your TF is changing to 'Landing Craft' - it didn't happen in WITP with those classes of vessels
Both LSTs and LCIs are sea-going vessels (didn't handle well to be called 'ocean-going' by those who served on them).
They should function to carry vehicles (LST) and infantry/support squads (LCI), although the LCI has a limited capacity. Put them in Amph TFs with other assualt vessels (APD/LSD/small APA), perhaps these vessels will stop the TF changing to 'landing craft'.

Just to correct Shark7, the LCI was too big to be carried on deck, it's a ship not a boat, despite the 'craft' designation - after the war they were reclassified as LSI, Landing Ship Infantry. The landing craft carried piggy back were the LCVP/LCA/LCM, the types you get when using the create barge option. Also there is the LCT, Landing Craft Tank, which may be what Shark7 was thinging of. Carried as deck cargo from CONUS in pieces, then assembled in theatre and used for short-haul inter-island supply/assualt.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Help understanding LCIs and LSTs - 10/4/2009 11:07:00 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOW

Don't know why your TF is changing to 'Landing Craft' - it didn't happen in WITP with those classes of vessels
Both LSTs and LCIs are sea-going vessels (didn't handle well to be called 'ocean-going' by those who served on them).
They should function to carry vehicles (LST) and infantry/support squads (LCI), although the LCI has a limited capacity. Put them in Amph TFs with other assualt vessels (APD/LSD/small APA), perhaps these vessels will stop the TF changing to 'landing craft'.

Just to correct Shark7, the LCI was too big to be carried on deck, it's a ship not a boat, despite the 'craft' designation - after the war they were reclassified as LSI, Landing Ship Infantry. The landing craft carried piggy back were the LCVP/LCA/LCM, the types you get when using the create barge option. Also there is the LCT, Landing Craft Tank, which may be what Shark7 was thinging of. Carried as deck cargo from CONUS in pieces, then assembled in theatre and used for short-haul inter-island supply/assualt.

No I was thinking of the LCVP or LCM. In a modern sense you have LCAC (Landing Craft Air Cushion...IE a hovercraft). I believe the LSI's might be currently referred to as LSMs which might be why I got confused.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 5
RE: Help understanding LCIs and LSTs - 10/5/2009 12:35:28 AM   
Mozo

Thanks so much! The awesome support for this game is worth more than the price of the game. I can't thank everyone enough for all of their generous support every time I ask a question.

Mozo

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 6
RE: Help understanding LCIs and LSTs - 10/5/2009 1:47:24 AM   
oldman45

I have found that if I put LST's in with the AP's the formation will switch to landing craft, not a big deal unless you want to add ships to it other than more LST/LCI. You have to change it back to amphib and add your ships.

In the second part of the OP, it was stated that you had trouble getting the troops out? What were you refering to?

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Help understanding LCIs and LSTs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI