Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/14/2009 7:48:02 PM   
Pergite!

Hello!

I am (just like everyone else here) eagerly awaiting the release of BFTB and belive its high time to get the PWC project going again. I have been invading Crete quite a few times this last week, and I am still amazed on how good and realistic the engine portrays combined arms operations. Real life military tactics, good logistics planning and intelligence preparations wins the day, every day. No complicated rules, just a good simulation with just the right level of abstraction. The few gripes I have had will be long gone with the updates the BFTB brings.

Now back to the point...
I was one of the few that participated as a "student" in the PWC for COTA. It was a great initiative that sadly faded away . I however feel that it deserves a fresh start with the upcoming release and I would like to step forward as a volunteer to do some "classes" to promote the game and bring a wider understanding into the mechanichs of the game, offer tactical thinking and planning (i.e an optional even deeper level of realism)

Is anyone else interested?

< Message edited by Pergite! -- 9/14/2009 8:16:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/14/2009 8:43:26 PM   
dakuman

I would certainly be interested to join as a student. I am eagerly awaiting this game. I love Highway to the Reich.

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/15/2009 2:35:24 AM   
MarkShot

Pergite,

So, you must have been the one who graduated? Well, I am glad to have met you!

Yes, PWC was not one of the most fruitful initiatives over the years. Only rivaled by my effort to provide French language support and get an abridged game manual in French. Quelle domage! :)

Never more! (I've had enough. Sliterine has raised mediocrity to an art form!)

(in reply to dakuman)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/15/2009 5:07:15 AM   
sabre1

I never could seem to find the time to learn COTA, but I would be willing to sign up for the College...

I want to learn COTA, but I would start the tutorials and never have time to finish them. By the time I got back into the tutorial at a later date, just repeat last sentence.

I really do want to learn the game.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/15/2009 5:48:30 AM   
Arjuna

sabre1,

I'm hoping that by using a series of short tutorial movies for BFTB we can cover the ground in stages and make it easier for people to get into the system.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/15/2009 5:52:26 AM   
MarkShot

I would say try this.

(1) Turn off order delays.
(2) Just issue [D]efend, [M]ove, and [A]ttack orders (skip the others) in a simple scenario with no bridge stuff or exits.

See what happens and see what you can accomplish. Learning by playing and self experimentation is just as valid as intense manual study.

Give it a try.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/15/2009 8:22:18 PM   
Pergite!

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

Pergite,

So, you must have been the one who graduated? Well, I am glad to have met you!

Yes, PWC was not one of the most fruitful initiatives over the years. Only rivaled by my effort to provide French language support and get an abridged game manual in French. Quelle domage! :)

As for the PWC I thought Chelco did put in a good effort while it was up and running. If I write up a few basic short articles (something in the lines of the principles of warfare in a panther games perspective) is there any interest of putting them on the homepage as a tactics primer of sorts?

I can only recommend you for your unselfish work with promoting the rights of often so overlooked francophone people of the world.

Bonne nuit!

< Message edited by Pergite! -- 9/15/2009 8:29:10 PM >

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/15/2009 8:27:18 PM   
MarkShot

Whose home page? Matrix? PG? You could also publish at the WG or elsewhere. Also, I believe there are a couple of PG series fan sites.

Well, for Matrix or PG, that would be for Dave O'Connor to address. For the WG, I could introduce you to the right guy.

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/15/2009 8:33:10 PM   
Pergite!

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

Whose home page? Matrix? PG? You could also publish at the WG or elsewhere. Also, I believe there are a couple of PG series fan sites.

Well, for Matrix or PG, that would be for Dave O'Connor to address. For the WG, I could introduce you to the right guy.

We have a saying over here that its not advisable to sell the pelt before the bear is slain, i.e I better write something before I start to worry about where to put it.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 9/15/2009 8:43:27 PM   
MarkShot

Speaking of phrases with animals, one I have heard quite a bit is "running too many hares", but I don't recall the French. I guess the English would be "too many irons in the fire". :)

Yep, you best write something first. I had a guy who was translating the COTA manual into Korean (Hangul). He actually sent me an early draft, but then he simply disappeared. However, he possibly got further along than our team of four working on the French version.

Oh well ... Although unfair, it seems the best wargaming experience will continue to be denied to those who cannot read English.

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 10
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 11/23/2009 1:01:01 PM   
Pergite!

Immersion tip #1 "Planning"

I had a couple of hours to spare this morning so I got productive. I usually do this in my head before starting up a battle, regardless of wargame. I now however decided to put something on paper for the masses to glout at.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 11
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 12/12/2009 3:50:56 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pergite!

... I was one of the few that participated as a "student" in the PWC for COTA. It was a great initiative that sadly faded away . I however feel that it deserves a fresh start with the upcoming release and I would like to step forward as a volunteer to do some "classes" to promote the game and bring a wider understanding into the mechanichs of the game, offer tactical thinking and planning (i.e an optional even deeper level of realism)

I might be interested if I knew what PWC actually was.

I read the thread, but I still don't get it; perhaps because I couldn't get into CoTA, but I still have HttR while eagerly awaiting BftB.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 12
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 12/12/2009 4:08:39 PM   
Pergite!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

... I was one of the few that participated as a "student" in the PWC for COTA. It was a great initiative that sadly faded away . I however feel that it deserves a fresh start with the upcoming release and I would like to step forward as a volunteer to do some "classes" to promote the game and bring a wider understanding into the mechanichs of the game, offer tactical thinking and planning (i.e an optional even deeper level of realism)

I might be interested if I knew what PWC actually was.

I read the thread, but I still don't get it; perhaps because I couldn't get into CoTA, but I still have HttR while eagerly awaiting BftB.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=415

You need to show older posts because otherwise the forum looks rather empyt.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 13
RE: Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? - 12/12/2009 8:24:25 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

... You need to show older posts because otherwise the forum looks rather empyt.

Yes, I only saw Lesson 1; it looked like an illustrated AAR of a CoTA scenario.

Interesting WW II history.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Is it not time to mobilize the Panther War College? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI