anybody else have randomly sinking US subs?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JohnDillworth

anybody else have randomly sinking US subs?

Post by JohnDillworth »

It seems every turn or so I see a message saying "floundering or flotation failing" and then a sub sinks somewhere between Hawaii and San Fran. When I look at the info screen it says the location and the cause as "unknown" I know subs disappear but I think I have 10 20 subs that have just sunk far from any action. Almost as if they run out of fuel and sink. anybody else?
thanks
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Dixie

RE: anybody else have randomly sinking US subs?

Post by Dixie »

I just had a similar problem.  Several other subs are in the area and out of fuel with rising damages.  I'm sure I had them set to return to PH, but they seem to be trying to get to San Fran without any fuel [:@]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

I just had a similar problem.  Several other subs are in the area and out of fuel with rising damages.  I'm sure I had them set to return to PH, but they seem to be trying to get to San Fran without any fuel [:@]

I have a similar problem with several Jap subs. Having between 50-80 system and or floatation dmg. They were not in combat though.

Either this is random damage happening to subs (which would be too much then) or this is the known problem of attacks by patrol planes not beeing shown in a combat report window. Or something else I have no idea of. [:D]
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

In the Naval problem discussion there's comments being made about subs randomly running out of fuel long before they ought to, and once a ship runs out of fuel the System damage starts piling up really quickly.  That may be what's happening to the subs sinking in midocean.  It will be fixed in the first patch according to the developers.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: TheTomDude

ORIGINAL: Dixie

I have a similar problem with several Jap subs. Having between 50-80 system and or floatation dmg. They were not in combat though.

Either this is random damage happening to subs (which would be too much then) or this is the known problem of attacks by patrol planes not beeing shown in a combat report window. Or something else I have no idea of. [:D]

It's not patrol planes, my subs are far away from the Jap patrol. Between PH and the WC.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

For example, I had quite lot of subs based on Soerabaja. When IJ captured that base, all subs switched their home base to SF and started to move there... Of course, very few would have had fuel for that distance. And as said, subs (and ships) start to accumulate sys damage when out of fuel. When sys damage is high enough, sub/ship sinks.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Dili

Post by Dili »

Maybe hit a rock like a certain USS sub...
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

I never knew boats needed fuel to stay afloat. I'll have to bring a jerry can with me on my next kayaking trip just in case :)
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

ORIGINAL: carnifex

I never knew boats needed fuel to stay afloat. I'll have to bring a jerry can with me on my next kayaking trip just in case :)

WWII subs need motion to stay level underwater, and thus energy by fuel or batteries. If not it becomes incredibly difficult to maintain depth using the planes and the sub will sink deeper until back in motions or crushed.
T Rav

Post by T Rav »

I've had subs run out of fuel sooner than I thought in GC scenario. Fortunately I caught the first two subs soon after their fuel went to zero and right as they were passing Brisbane, so I was able to save them. Since then, I look at the ships list sorted by endurance remaining, as part of my crosscheck. I send them home when they get close. I've asked Admiral King that they start teaching "Fuel Guages 101" at Annapolis.
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

you might want to watch out for Air ASW attacks. They are easy to miss. Chk your operations report.
jtareb

Post by jtareb »

The ai is doing a lousy job with the subs--it runs them till empty then trys to make it back to harbor with no fuel causing alot of system damage

I find myself watching the ships screen every turn for subs low or out of fuel and subs with damage.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, Although the combat generally works great and the AI handles the subs well on patrol, the AI is not getting low fuel subs home in time and I find I have to check my subs every two or three days and micromanage. I finally went into the preferences and turned off AI computer control for subs. You can then turn computer control back on for individual subs but they won't leave port without you giving orders.

This is working for me until it is fixed.

On another note, any ship with high flotation damage can have a critical failure and sink right away. The higher the damage the greater the chance (it seems). Best to patch damaged ships as best you can in a small port before sending them on long voyages-and never use full speed on a damaged ship.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

I am only a week into my first game (took a long time to read the manual - love the made in China sticker). I'm contolling allied subs directly and so far no problems. Thanks for the head-up on this issue.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Yes, definitely the AI not getting these back in time.  Might all be related to the fall of the Phillipines but as the Gatos are starting to show up it is AI of until this is patched.  Already lost 12 for no good reason
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
MikeToth

Post by MikeToth »

The problem here is quite obvious....   [;)]    Due to the lack of readily available alcohol on board said subs, they (the crew) have been
bribing the Torpedoman's mates to obtain the high content alcohol "torpedo juice" from those Mk-XIV torpedoes.

This is a two-fold problem... not only does the crew get hammered and run out of diesel/battery power,  it is also is the reason those torpedoes were crappy.  

There ya go...   [;)]  
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

ORIGINAL: Dili

Maybe hit a rock like a certain USS sub...

It was a mountain [;)]
medicff

Post by medicff »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yes, Although the combat generally works great and the AI handles the subs well on patrol, the AI is not getting low fuel subs home in time and I find I have to check my subs every two or three days and micromanage. I finally went into the preferences and turned off AI computer control for subs. You can then turn computer control back on for individual subs but they won't leave port without you giving orders.

This is working for me until it is fixed.

On another note, any ship with high flotation damage can have a critical failure and sink right away. The higher the damage the greater the chance (it seems). Best to patch damaged ships as best you can in a small port before sending them on long voyages-and never use full speed on a damaged ship.

Note, even if subs are human controlled with a patrol zone they still are running out of fuel before making port. This occurs whether or not home port changed by base capture, just isnt allowing enough fuel for return trip home.
joey

Post by joey »

I lost about 6 subs mysteriously also with the same messages as mentioned above. I don't use AI control of any ship. They should have had plenty of fuel, and I changed their homeport due to base lose. Each had some fuel. Eitherway being out of fuel should not sink the boat. So they should not have simply sunk, but there you have it; since they did!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”