Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Royal Thai Army

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Royal Thai Army Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 2:37:48 PM   
Yakface

Question for someone in-the-know. Units ot the RTA are in a restricted command which itself is part of the Southern (unrestricted) army. Are they approriate to use in Burma and/or Malaya or should they be considered a home guard army?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 2:41:37 PM   
bstarr

unless I'm sorely mistaken, historical use would be homeguard only.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 2
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 3:00:10 PM   
Andy Mac

Yup

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 3
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 3:02:06 PM   
Brady

They did venture into the North, though briefly, so it could be argued that sending them into Burma is reasionable from that perspective.

Its not as if the Allies dont have scades of units that they can walk across the boarder either howeaver, in a PBEM game it is imo advisable to come to an agreament with your aponet concerning the movements of restricted units across frontears they would not of normaly crosed Historicaly, at least untill we can implement Boarders.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 4
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 3:11:45 PM   
Q-Ball

When I start a PBEM, at this point the only HRs I foresee involve crossing of national borders.

Manchukuo and Collaborationist Chinese should never cross a border

Allied Chinese should only enter Burma, Vietnam, Manchukuo, or Mongolia. They should never be loaded on a ship (well, maybe to Hainan Island). Even moving Chinese units to India is ahistorical, unless they are cut off from China. Just getting Chaing to lend a couple divisions, equipped by the US, to clear the Burma road was like pulling teeth.

And RTA units should stay in Thailand, with the exception of maybe a minor move into Burma (the Shan states).

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 5
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 3:22:04 PM   
Shark7

From looking at it, only part of the units that ventured north are even in there.

Historically, the Phayap (Northern) Army did venture into the Shan states, engaging the Chinese (not the British or Burmese) all the way to Lwoi River near the Chinese border.

However, the Phayap Army OOB is very incomplete in game, as historically it consisted of 4 divisions and several independant Bns and Rgts.

Some quick info on the RTA in WWII: http://www.geocities.com/thailandwwii/oob.html

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 6
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 3:56:32 PM   
Brady

Prety cool link on Chinese Forces in Burma, and Burma in General:

http://homepages.force9.net/rothwell/burmaweb/ChineseXForce.htm

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 4:32:41 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Prety cool link on Chinese Forces in Burma, and Burma in General:

http://homepages.force9.net/rothwell/burmaweb/ChineseXForce.htm

That's a usefull link, Thank you.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 8
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 5:41:41 PM   
sven6345789

t hink paying the political points to attach the units to another HQ should be enough. The Thai units should be restricted, as are Manchukuo and Wang-Tsching Wais Tax collectors (just love that unit);
I doubt they are useful anywhere on the map except as garrisons

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 6:05:06 PM   
Scott_USN

They sent a full division 6th RTA to attack my 11th Chinese Army at Tougoo and were soundly spanked, tied, laughed at and sent back south. Now they have come back another spanking coming.

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 10
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 6:12:01 PM   
Laxplayer

In my GC game vs Allies, the 1st and 2nd RTA joined the IJA in steamrolling me at Pegu and Rangoon. Remains to be seen if they head north.

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 11
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 6:52:01 PM   
Shark7

Actually, the RTA incursion into the Shan States was very successfull. They stalemated at the Lwoi River.

And the RTA had combat experience from 1940 when they fought the Vichy French Indochina forces to a stalemate as well.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Laxplayer)
Post #: 12
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 6:55:44 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
Even moving Chinese units to India is ahistorical, unless they are cut off from China.

Not true, two shattered Chinese divisions that had withdrawn from Burma were reformed into the New 38th and New 22nd divisions and a third Chinese division (30th) was formed from scratch. All were fleshed out, equipped and trained on Indian soil at Ramgarh in the Province of Bihar in India. The men needed for these units were air lifted to Ramgarh from China.

These units formed the core of the allied counter-attacks (commanded by Stilwell) in 1943 that lead to the liberation of northern Burma. It's sad that history has all but forgotten this part of China's involvement in the war, as they performed very well indeed.

http://cbi-theater-1.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater-1/cai/cai.html

Jim

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 13
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 6:59:55 PM   
EwingNJ

Jim D beat me to the punch about Ramgarh and the airlift.

For the American perspective on CBI see: http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-CBI-Mission/index.html

Chapter 6 discusses Ramgarh and the airlift.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 14
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 7:01:39 PM   
Scott_USN

I read a book about Stilwell what a tough old bastard he was! He believed in the Chinese troops too just had no use for the warlords calling themselves generals.

Post #: 15
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 7:09:01 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

I read a book about Stilwell what a tough old bastard he was! He believed in the Chinese troops too just had no use for the warlords calling themselves generals.

I recommend you read the Stilwell papers. It's a collection of his diary entries during the war his wife released after his death, quite a good read. It's full of little nuggets of history that you'd never know otherwise, like the fact the Mexican army was helping US troops look for supposed hidden Japanese airfields in the California deserts in the weeks after Pearl.

LOL, the level of fear and paranoia in those first few weeks are quite telling when you read his comments. His command was even getting reports of Jap planes flying over S.F. and invasion fleets 100 miles off the coast.

Jim

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 16
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 7:12:46 PM   
EwingNJ

What did he write in reference to the great anti-aircraft battle of Los Angeles?

Post #: 17
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 7:15:23 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwingNJ

What did he write in reference to the great anti-aircraft battle of Los Angeles?

Can't remember off hand as I read it several years ago, and I loaned the book to my nephew, so I can't look it up. My impression was he took the reports seriously for a few days to a week, and then grew extremely skeptical and angrier as time went on. He had very little patience for incompetence.

Jim

(in reply to EwingNJ)
Post #: 18
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 7:42:14 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

When I start a PBEM, at this point the only HRs I foresee involve crossing of national borders.

We are actually working on implementing borders - but I doubt it will make patch 01 - hopefully patch 02. But until we can implement borders, I agree that house rules for borders are necessary, as they were in stock.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 19
RE: Royal Thai Army - 8/7/2009 8:13:22 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

We are actually working on implementing borders - but I doubt it will make patch 01 - hopefully patch 02. But until we can implement borders, I agree that house rules for borders are necessary, as they were in stock.

That's great! These kind of restrictions are pretty easy to HR though, because they are clear cut, and easy to see if there is a violation. There are probably more important things to fix in patch 1, like the AK-t conversions.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Royal Thai Army Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI