Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Original WiTP Scenarios in AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Original WiTP Scenarios in AE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 7/30/2009 9:27:45 AM   
moonraker65

Would it be possible to re-do some of the original WiTP Scenarios for AE ? Or is it a mammoth task ?
Post #: 1
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 7/30/2009 9:29:10 AM   
Terminus

It makes a mammoth look quite small by comparison. But by all means, go ahead...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 2
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 7/30/2009 8:59:31 PM   
moonraker65

I might do if I can find the time although I've never actually done any modding or scenario creation.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 7/30/2009 9:25:30 PM   
Terminus

The main problem with porting over old scenarios is the new map, with all the extra bases.

Post #: 4
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 7/30/2009 9:43:33 PM   
moonraker65

I can imagine. Would it be difficult to do or is it a really time consuming job ?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 7/30/2009 9:53:28 PM   
Terminus

It's more time consuming than difficult. The data is there, but you have to be sure where you put it; does this unit in stock WitP go into that hex or that hex, sort of thing.

Post #: 6
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 7/31/2009 1:43:18 AM   
Bearcat2

So; there will be no Coral Sea to the end of the war campaign? 

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 8/21/2009 11:04:10 PM   
HerzKaraya

Terminus,

is there any utility/program/... that can assist moving data from the old WitP into AE? Even if you have to shuffle things around later or fill in the blanks (new values,...), it would be tremendous help to copy/paste whatever data there was from WitP into AE without having to retype everything from scratch!

I guess WitPEditorX and Michael Fleshman´s WitPExcel can´t help, or do they?

Thanks for the help! A WIR-AE Mod in the works......

Vista, suerte y al toro!

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 8
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 8/22/2009 5:50:53 AM   
jwilkerson

If I was going to try to "port" over a WITP scenario to AE - I would use the following process:

01 - Use WITPload to move the WITP scenario files, for the scenario in question to Excel.

02 - Use WITPloadAE to move the AE master scenario (scenario 001) files to Excel.

03 - Put the airgroup Excel files from WITP and AE side by side and manually adjust the AE excel files to reflect what I want to be reflected in the new AE scenario.

04 - Put the Ship Excel files from WITP and AE side by side and manually adjust the AE excel files to reflect what I want.

05 - Put the Location Excel files from WITP and AE side by side and manuall adjust the AE excel files to reflect what I want.

06 - I would not change the device, aircraft or class files as these files contain data that has been calibrated to work with the AE code.

07 - I might adjust the pilot or leader files if necessary.

08 - If I wanted to produce an AI version of my new AE scenario I would start from scratch and create my AI files.

09 - Then use WITPLoadAE to push the new scenario back into the scenario data file format.

Anyway, that is the high level process I would use. Note this might take days to months depending on the nature of the scenario I was trying to convert. One can use a lot of "cut and paste" in excel to accelerate the process - and I would do that as much as possible.

The AE Team currently has no plans to convert any WITP scenarios - so if someone has a "hankering" to do so - one need not be too worried that we are comming along behind you. Of course our plans might change one day - but as of today we have no plans - nor any discussions about plans - to port over any WITP scenarios. Our AE scenarios were all created from scratch and I suspect any new scenarios our team would do - would also be created from scratch, or at least be modifications of our master scenario (001). Since scenario 001 contains the entire OOB for the war it is the best place to start to create a new AE scenario. So if I wanted to make a new AE scenario, I would copy scenario 001 and get crankin' !!!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 9
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 8/22/2009 5:53:29 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bubi Hartmann

I guess WitPEditorX and Michael Fleshman´s WitPExcel can´t help, or do they?

The game provided AE Editor is EditorX for AE - done by the same guy (BigJ62) - with plenty of enhancements!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 10
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 8/22/2009 4:29:42 PM   
HerzKaraya

quote:

The game provided AE Editor is EditorX for AE - done by the same guy (BigJ62) - with plenty of enhancements!

Well, the AE Editor is great and has many new features, but has lost something in return......, the Tab called "VIEW PWHEX", which allowed you to tinker with hex info, roads, rivers,... Could we get that back???

Thank you jwilkerson for the "import" procedure, I will try it out. I thought you had used the data you already had from WitP and moved it into AE with some program, that´s why I asked. Man, you did a tremendous work!!!!

Vista, suerte y al toro!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 11
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 8/22/2009 7:17:20 PM   
BigJ62

Eventually but I am a little busy right now and there is a lot more going on in the new map data file.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bubi Hartmann

quote:

Well, the AE Editor is great and has many new features, but has lost something in return......, the Tab called "VIEW PWHEX", which allowed you to tinker with hex info, roads, rivers,... Could we get that back???

Thank you jwilkerson for the "import" procedure, I will try it out. I thought you had used the data you already had from WitP and moved it into AE with some program, that´s why I asked. Man, you did a tremendous work!!!!

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 12
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 8/23/2009 4:20:57 AM   
Creeper

Unfortunately the mapeditor which was included in the normal WitP (activated with command line parameter -mew) has been removed in the AE Version.
I´m wondering why? jwilkerson can you say a few words about the reason?

< Message edited by Creeper -- 8/23/2009 7:17:27 AM >

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 13
RE: Original WiTP Scenarios in AE - 8/23/2009 3:27:14 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigJ62
Eventually but I am a little busy right now and there is a lot more going on in the new map data file.

We've said several times that we would bake "map editing" into the game supplied editor at some point - until then - if you are adventerous you are welcome to use a hexedit program to edit these files. Here is the one I use - I like it just fine - no complaints.

http://www.expertcomsoft.com/

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Original WiTP Scenarios in AE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI