Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 7/29/2009 6:03:08 PM   
rroberson

My old nemesis is up to his old tricks. I'm not sure how much I will be able to update this in the next month or so, it being the start of football season and august being my insane month, but here we go.

Pearl Harbor

Sources within the War Department report that around 7 am Pearl Harbor was attacked by one and maybe more midget submarines. The subs penetrated the defenses at Pearl and attacked a battleship. No reports of damage from this attack. About 45 minutes later bombers from the Empire of Japan struck Hawaii at various places. The War department is reporting that more then 100 planes were destroyed by this raid across all air fields. Unnamed sources within the Naval department say that a single battleship was sunk as well as a submarine and two destroyers. A number of other battleships were heavily damaged but its likely they can be salvaged as long as Emperor Xarguns minions don't return for a second helping.

PI

General MacArthur held a quick press conference on his way to the beaches in the north part of the Philippines today. He said that while most of the bomber force was caught on the ground (as well as the fighters) during this morning's raid over various PI airfields. The Japanese raids were very ineffective and the Air Corp boys would be taking the fight to the Xargs later today. No reported landings with the exception of the useless island of Batan. American and Philippine troops were rushing to the beaches and MacArthur says he can push back any landings at the beach.

Naval authorites at Davao report that Xargun's did manage to sink one ship with carrier air.

Malaysia

The BBC at Singapore is reporting lots of air raids over the Malaysia, with various effects, though none debilitating. The biggest attack saw the torpedoing of Force Z as it was rushing north to face the Imperial Navy. It is unknown the condition of Force Z as there has been no contact with it since this afternoon's attack. The BBC has also reported that Imperial Xargun forces have begun landings at Kota Bharu. The RAF reportedly had a go at the invasion force and scored two hits on invasion transports.

China

BBC Hong Kong has reported Xargunite Dive bombing raids over both the city of Hong Kong and the harbor. There was quite a bit of damage from the attacks. Commonwealth troops continue to prepare for what their commander feels is "an impending attack" by imperial forces located just outside Kowloon.

< Message edited by rroberson -- 7/29/2009 6:15:27 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 7/29/2009 6:13:56 PM   
grraven2004

Anyone willing to lay odds on how long it takes Rob to lose his first Carrier?

I'll say within the first week and it will be the Enterprise

Sorry Rob had to do it

Human by birth

Klingon By choice!

Sig changed per Erik's request

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 2
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 7/29/2009 6:41:54 PM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: grraven2004

Anyone willing to lay odds on how long it takes Rob to lose his first Carrier?

I'll say within the first week and it will be the Enterprise

Sorry Rob had to do it

Oh I am sure I will squander them soon as always.

(in reply to grraven2004)
Post #: 3
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 7/31/2009 6:59:13 AM   
rroberson

The war 9 December 42

Pacific Fleet

ALL BATTLEWAGONS COULD BE SAVED

US Naval sources say that its very likely that all the damage warships from the infamous attack at Pearl Harbor two days ago could be floated and back in action with in a few months.  At the moment only one ship attacked by Imperial Xargunite forces is in danger of being lost forever according to a well placed Captain within US Naval Salvage command.  It was very fortunate that the American carriers were not at Pearl Harbor and all three Pacific warships remain gone from the heavily damaged port.  The death toll from sunday's attack has now jumped to over 1000 sailors and soldiers as well as 50 civilians. 

Wake Falls!

CINCPAC has reported the sad news that Wake Island and it's defenders were forced to surrender today to Japanese invaders.  No word on what has become of the remaining marines or pilots who were trapped on the Island.  As many as a thousand civilians were rumored to also be on the island prior to the war breaking out.

Philippines

ROYAL NAVY TO THE RESCUE

Sources in the British Embassy in Manila say that 3 Royal Navy destroyers seriously disrupted a landing off the coast of the Philippines near Vigan in an early afternoon raid on the Japanese landing there.  What the Royal Navy was doing off the coast of the Phillipines is unknown.  The raid came during Xargun's afternoon landings at Vigan despite the claims by American General Douglas MacArthur that all was well and the Japanese could not get ashore.  It is unknown what became of the Royal Navy destroyers after the attack. The British embassy is claiming that at least 4 Japanese destroyers were damaged as well as one Cruiser forcing the landing ships to disperse. 

Malaysia

Kota Bharu Falls!

BBC Singapore says that Kota Bharu fell to the Japanese today despite 48 hours of heavy fighting to repel the landing there.  The British Army lost as many as 7000 men.  Japanese air and naval forces continue to pound Malaysia, it is unknown at this time where the Japanese will strike though their air force seems content to pound the northern part of Malaysia for the time being.  Singapore continues to evacuate women and children in anticipation of a Japanese move to the south.

< Message edited by rroberson -- 7/31/2009 8:38:20 AM >

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 4
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 7/31/2009 7:22:55 PM   
Cuttlefish

Back in early 2005 I belatedly learned that my old favorite Pacwar had been redone and greatly expanded. When I finally found the forums here I checked out some of the AARs and one of the first that I read was yours. Your sig banner at the time read "War in the Pacific - the struggle against Xargun!" and that somehow caught my imagination. I read yours and a couple of others, notably Pzb's, and was hooked. I promptly ordered the game.

It's good to see the two of you back at it again. Best of luck, hang on to those carriers (or at least sell them dearly), and I look forward to updates when you get the time to do them.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 5
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 7/31/2009 9:52:14 PM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Back in early 2005 I belatedly learned that my old favorite Pacwar had been redone and greatly expanded. When I finally found the forums here I checked out some of the AARs and one of the first that I read was yours. Your sig banner at the time read "War in the Pacific - the struggle against Xargun!" and that somehow caught my imagination. I read yours and a couple of others, notably Pzb's, and was hooked. I promptly ordered the game.

It's good to see the two of you back at it again. Best of luck, hang on to those carriers (or at least sell them dearly), and I look forward to updates when you get the time to do them.

Well that's great to hear :-).

I'd like to think I have learned a thing or two with carrier ops since those early days. We shall see.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 6
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 7/31/2009 11:51:46 PM   
rroberson

< Message edited by rroberson -- 7/31/2009 11:53:26 PM >

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 7
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 8/1/2009 1:54:33 AM   
rroberson

11 December 1942

Pearl Harbor

American officials have expressed regret at being forced to scuttle the USS West Virginia today. Earlier in the week it was felt that the Battlewagon could of been saved despite the heavy damage she sustained from the Xarg attack on Sunday. Fires continued to rage out of control throughout the once proud warship and Navy officials decided it just wasn't worth the potential loss of life to save her. USS West Virginia was torpedoed on the 7th of December by an early morning raid from what appears to of been multiple Japanese Aircraft Carriers off the coast. The loss of life from that attack has continued to climb as officials now report as many as 2000 men women and children were killed by minions of the Xargunite empire.

Germany and Italy have announced they are at war with the United States. America immediately responded by declaring war on the two Axis powers.

Following the shock of Pearl Harbor, American citizens are flocking to volunteer for the US Navy and Marine Corps which do not take conscripts.

Philippines

General Douglas MacArthur's staff is denying reports that the bulk of America's bomber force was cut down during the opening day of the war still parked on the runways of Clark Field. The unnamed staff member also said despite the recent successful landing at Vigan and Apari that the American and Philippine army would "easily" be able to throw the Japanese invaders back into the ocean. In the south of this island nation flashes of gun fire could be seen from the coast line where a Japanese surface force attacked and destroyed a group of transports attempting to escape from the area. No report on loss of life or civilian deaths.

Malaysia

The BBC is reporting that the Royal Navy has issued a warning that travel through the Java Sea is "at your own peril". A heavy concentration of Japanese submarines has been discovered in the area, mostly by the sound of their torpedoes exploding against the side of several civilian tankers in the area.

Royal Air Force leaders continue to bomb Japanese ground forces in Malaysia saying "Sinking ships is all well and good but we need to slow the chaps on the ground down a bit to give us time to build our defense up here in Singapore. It's unknown how effective the strategy will be, but the RAF states that they will continue attacks through the end of the week.

According to sources in Singapore, the British colony of Miri has fell to enemy forces, despite the intervention of a pair of American warships. While sucessfully driving off the Xargunite transport forces, the Americans were unable to do anything about the troops already on the ground.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 8
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 8/6/2009 2:52:44 AM   
rroberson

16 December 1942

Pearl Harbor

It's rumored that a change at the top of the leadership in the American Pacific Fleet is about to take place. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, a little know admiral currently serving in the Bureau of Navigation was spotted on a cross country train headed for the west coast. It is unknow when the Admiral will arrive. Clean up continues in and around Pearl Harbor after last week's devastating attack. The death toll now stands at 2213, with many still missing.

Adolf Hitler became commander-in-chief of the Nazi German army, replacing Walther von Brauchitsch.

Philippines

Japanese bombers struck the Port of Manilla today damaging the ship yard as well as several structures on the pier. There were no reports of deaths from the attack, but many many civilians were injured.

An American floatplane attacked a Japanese transport today near Legaspi. The pilot of the aircraft claimed he put the pickle dead amidships causing a small explosion and fire on the Japanese vessel.

Malaysia

MURDER ON THE HIGH SEAS!

BBC Singapore is reporting that Japanese submarines torpedoed a British liner evacuating civilians from that embattled city. The SS Kudzah was struck by multiple torpedos and sank 300 miles south of the British Colony. Survivors from the attack report that the enemy submarine surfaced and attacked men, women and children with small arms for an hour after the sinking before moving away from the ship.

DEI

An American/British task force lead by the USS Marblehead attacked a Japanese task force of Kuching destroying it will heavy loss of life for Xargun's forces.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Kuching at 58,87, Range 1,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
PB Kantori Maru, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
xAP Hakusan Maru, Shell hits 15, and is sunk
xAP Kobe Maru, Shell hits 13, heavy fires, heavy damage
PB Nako Maru #2, Shell hits 23, and is sunk
PB Fuji Maru #4, Shell hits 12, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 1
DD Barker
DD Bulmer
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Stewart
DD Thanet

Japanese ground losses:
423 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 35 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 35 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 19 disabled
Guns lost 16 (2 destroyed, 14 disabled)

The task force was attacked later in the day by a Japanese task force but American sources are saying that the damage to the ships was very light.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 9
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 8/7/2009 12:20:46 AM   
rroberson

18 December 1941

China

HONG KONG FALLS!

It took just 11 days, but British colonial governor Mark Young has surrendered all Commonwealth forces to the Japanese today. About 8 thousand troops laid down arms this morning as Imperial Xargunite forces swept in to take control of the island colony.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 10
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 8/7/2009 12:34:25 AM   
rroberson

So just what the hell am I doing with AE?

As many of you know I have been playing WITP off and on more then 5 years. AE represents a scary challenge. I originally had not planned to put details of my plans here, but Xarg and I agreeded that he wouldn't read so as I begin to string together Operations, Ill try to go in as great of detail here as possible.

Currently, I'm in survival mode. Just trying to slow him down as much as I can without losing too much of my core forces. I faired very well at Pearl Harbor (lost just 2 BBs so far though one is on the ropes). I am loving the new surface rules (though they suck if you are the Japanese) and continue to sting Xarg anywhere he fails to cover his landing forces. At this point I have at least 3 surface action groups, all three are steaming around Borneo.

Two of my 3 carriers are steaming to Australia right now. I am toying with the idea of moving parallel and trying to catch his forces landing in and around Papua. I seriously doubt he will cover those landings with carrier assets....but we will see.
Right now fuel is a problem as my oilers are moving slowly from the west coast with Saratoga who I intend to patrol with beween Pearl and Suva. While splitting carriers is always a bad idea in vanilla (and lord knows I have paid for it enough in the past). From what I have seen so far, attacks against carriers don't appear to be nearly as deadly by either land or sea forces. We shall see.

I have an Australian brigade head north to Port Moresby with a bunch of supplies. It won't be enough if he decides to push there right now.

My british forces in Burma are currently not doing much of anything. Trying to push forces into place quickly from the off map areas. In Malaysia they are fighting for thier life. Rather then go after his naval assets I have been pounding his ground forces hoping to slow him down somewhat. Every day Singapore lasts is a day that he can't be on the offensive somewhere else.

In the PI, my ground forces are folding up before him pretty quickly, but my air units have been raising hell. I have even been flying Seagulls against him (and they are doing a great job). He isn't really capping his navy prefering to use his air against my airfields. Wierd, but ill take it. The P-40s have been doing a nice job here.

At any rate thats my stream of consciousness after 11 days of the war.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 11
RE: The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR - 8/7/2009 1:45:30 AM   
AttuWatcher

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 12
Merry Christmas - 8/14/2009 4:24:20 AM   
rroberson

USS Houstan gets her day in the light of glory.

Caught one of Xargun's lighter landing forces after they had delivered troops of off Manado and as you can see they didn't enjoy my visit.

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara, Shell hits 17, and is sunk
DD Yukikaze, Shell hits 3
DD Tokitsukaze, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Yamakaze, Shell hits 3
DD Kawakaze, Shell hits 14, and is sunk
xAK Macassar Maru, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Nittai Maru
xAP Horai Maru, Shell hits 8, on fire
xAP Takatiho Maru, Shell hits 5

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Shell hits 1
CL Mauritius, Shell hits 1
DD Peary
DD Vendetta
DD Stronghold
DD Tenedos
DD Electra
DD Jupiter

The battle opened up at 5000 yards got as close as 3000 before we begun to separate. I only which I had caught him before he had delivered the Xargunites at Manado.

I will update the entire map with tomorrow's turn and try to finally dig into what IM doing now that football is slowing down a touch.

The only other things to report is Enterprise and Lexington have arrived at Australia, keeping in fuel is going to be entertaining, but I have high hopes Xargun will try to make a quick move on Rabaul without proper carrier support and give me the opportunity to bloody his nose again. I have acquired two small AOs which won't be able to keep the entire task force in fuel should give me a bit more staying power should I forced to go into combat. I do have several bits (given the transport space Im dealing with) of Australian troops bound for Port Moresby.

At rate, just a bit of an update, Ill try to break out the maps and the like tomorrow or the next day.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 13
1 January 42 - 8/17/2009 1:49:55 AM   
rroberson

USS Houstan the raider finally ran out of luck today. Took on what I thought was a small surface group off of Morotai. Turned out to be 3 cruisers and 2 destroyers. The Houstan group which had Houstan, a CL, and six destroyers proved to be no match for the Xargunites and USS Houstan ate a torpedo about halfway through the engagement and sank. I also lost one of the destroyers. The remaining task group is making for Darwin.

Xargun's advance throught the PI has been somewhat slow. From the north he has manged to work his way to Lingayen. The south has seen troops only make it to Lucena. From appearances it seems like the Phillipines is a backwater front to him.

He also doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry in Borneo. Though I have a feeling my surface raiders are forcing him to slow down with all his landings as he has to cover his amphips with warships (thus my loss off of Morotai.).

His advance down Malaya has been equally as slow. He has only managed to take Alor Star on the western pincer and he has troops outside both Kuantan and Temuloh on the east and central trails.

Enterprise and Lexington are in the Coral Sea right now. If Xargun makes a move towards Rabaul they will move up to contest it. I have been kicking around moving one of them to the Timor Sea, but lack of Oilers will prevent that.

Saratoga is currently south of Canton Island. I have her steaming hard to get up to Ocean Island to deliver some bombs to Xargun amphib groups which are bouncing around making landings there.

I don't have a clue where KB is, but I believe they are in Tokyo rearming which gives me more freedom of motion.

Guess we will see :-)

< Message edited by rroberson -- 8/17/2009 1:50:50 AM >

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 14
Well look what I found. - 8/19/2009 12:46:19 AM   
rroberson

I have been reconning Truk now with B17s since I got them moved out of the PI and today....

Afternoon Air attack on Truk , at 112,108

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 2

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Soryu, Bomb hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 5000 feet *
Port Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Now while this is great, assuming it was an actual hit on Soryu it would appear I am wrong regarding KB and its location. I have had Lexington and Enterprise making circles south of Rossel Island, but those two carriers would be no match for KB so the question is where to point them now? There is no way I can operate them in the Timor Sea (which would be fun) without proper Oiler support and major replenishment Oilers are still operating with Saratoga as she makes her painfully slow crawl west. I do have 4 or five of the TAN class Oilers, but those are hardly fleet oilers...

ponder ponder.

Saratoga is about 500 miles south of Tarawa. He grabbed Nauru Island a couple of days ago and it is my hope to catch him off of Ocean Island which Sara should be in range of by tomorrow. I may press my luck a bit now that I know where KB is and move north towards Kwajalein and see if he has taken care of his air defense in the area. I doubt I will go far enough north to actually raid Kwajalein but one never knows :-).

He now has control of 5 of the 8 Sarawak/Borneo North bases. The only two he is lacking is Singkawang and Sambas in Sarawak. He still hasn't made much head way in Malaya...every day he creeps down the trails is a day Singapore's defenses grow in strength. I am now up to a level 3 fort there and considering ways to start sneaking supplies in that don't involve submarines (which I always felt where very ineffective.).

All in all its another day for the American fleet as transport ships bearing planes and supplies inch their way to Australia.

< Message edited by rroberson -- 8/19/2009 12:47:12 AM >

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 15
RE: Well look what I found. - 8/22/2009 12:25:35 AM   
rroberson

5 January 1942

I got bold (which as you know is always a bad thing for me) and sent Saratoga north from her location to raid Kwajalein, on her way north she caught a single AMC and one of her Dauntless squadrons sank it killing a few Xarguns, (no doubt a base force). Later that after noon my other Dauntless squadron hit the port at Kwajalein and found it mostly empty. We did supposedly plant a 500 lb bomb in one of his subs, but all in all, given the risk, it was dissappointing.

Needless to say Sara is now screaming south to get out of harm's way. I actually hope he sends KB out from Truk (my last believed position of them) and at the very least it forces him to wait for more warships the next time he thinks its a good idea to reinforce his southern gains. The one change in AE that I like in my allied games (and despise in my Japanese ones) is you can sneak warships through the air umbrella. It really forces the Japanese to actually cover thier landings or risk disaster (something I have been the victim of in more then one of my games).

Enterprise and Saratoga continue to steam south of PM. If I can get Sara's fuel train close to them soon I may hit the timor...we will see.

Not much else is happening, he shock attacked in a number of different places in China and got thrown back with heavy losses.

The most important thing I did today was find 8 destroyers waiting for me at the Panama Canal. They are now on their way to San Diego to meet up with Yorktown.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 16
Another shiny day, - 8/25/2009 1:45:34 AM   
rroberson

for the American navy.

Lexington and Enterprise began their career in the Timor with a bang. Caught and pounded the bulk of his landing forces at Sorong. Killed about 600 of his troops. It's my hope (and plan) that this will hamper his operations in the entire area as now he has to account for enemy naval air. Needless to say Enterprise and Lexington will be high tailing it out of the area now given that the last believed position of KB was Truk. I may slide them through the Java Sea next after a stop for fuel to see what kind of Chaos I can cause in the south China seas. I need to be mind full of his available betty/nells, but I do not believe he has set any air up at Borneo yet as he continues his Malaysian campaign.

At any rate, if nothing else I hope this keeps him honest as this is the second time in a matter of days that my naval air caught under escorted transports out by themselves.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 17
RE: Another shiny day, - 8/25/2009 3:11:36 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Lexington and Enterprise began their career in the Timor with a bang. Caught and pounded the bulk of his landing forces at Sorong. Killed about 600 of his troops. It's my hope (and plan) that this will hamper his operations in the entire area as now he has to account for enemy naval air.

Nice work! That should slow the Japanese expansion a bit . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 18
RE: Another shiny day, - 8/27/2009 7:14:43 AM   
fmonster

Well done reports! I look forward to the battles to come!

Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 19
RE: Another shiny day, - 8/31/2009 7:04:28 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

and good ole rob is still on usn kamikaze missons out there

(in reply to fmonster)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> The Xarguns are coming. A Xargun - Rob AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI