Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Off Map Boxes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Off Map Boxes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Off Map Boxes - 7/21/2009 10:18:50 PM   
Chief Rudiger

Hi,

Long Time Lurker.

Has anyone tried using an "Off Map Box" to represent Naval Artillery or Air Support? A bit like in AGEOD's Birth of America (&c) series of games. The box, as depicted in the screenshot, could be inaccessible and inescapable. Special immobile bombardment unit(s) might be created to represent Naval/Ground Attack Squadron or individual ships, with indirect fire weapons. A dedicated supply unit and Ammo only SEP could also be located there.

How do you think the A.I. would respond to this? If the Off Map Box was in my deployment zone rather than somewhere threatening i can't imagine there'd be any common problem.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Off Map Boxes - 7/22/2009 12:06:13 AM   
Arjuna

Off map fire support to model naval and air forces positioned off map is one of the features on our wish list. In fact it's in our top four for implementation along with realistic mounted/dismounted infantry, minefields and cross river assaults. To implement it effectively we need to write special mods to the force allocation, sighting, route finding, tasking code etc.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Chief Rudiger)
Post #: 2
RE: Off Map Boxes - 7/22/2009 10:42:09 PM   
Chief Rudiger

Understood,

Off the top of your head though, can you see any problems in the method i've described? I know it is crude but a bird in the Aegean is worth two in the Bulge...or whatever... Obviously i'll test it myself but i'm just picking this up and playing with the map maker first, before tackling the scenario maker part.

Also, can i ask here, rather than a PM, whether it is possible, to change a layer's type once drawn? For example, once a 10m altitude layer is deliniated with the drawing tools and the layer name is double-clicked to finalise, is it possible to reselect the string of points and double-click another layer to change the polygon to the 20m layer? What i've done is drawn a (big) polygon on the wrong layer.

Similarly, can you copy the same points and use them to place another layer directly on top, for example, making the Xm layer a broken terrain layer too. I notice the "duplicate" option, what does this do?

I can't find the answers to either of these in the pdf, this, or the HTTR forum. Can you guess what river crossing scenario this map is for?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chief Rudiger -- 7/22/2009 11:30:31 PM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: Off Map Boxes - 7/22/2009 11:36:12 PM   
Arjuna

I just checked the BFTB MapMaker, as I have that loaded, and yes you can cut and paste between layers. Just select the polygon, choose Cut from the edit menu, select the new layer you want to paste into from the layer palette and choose Paste from the edit menu. I'm pretty sure we had this for COTA MM. Try and see.

Re creating an island and using that as a suedo off-map fire support base. Yep that can serve as a crude work around.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 4
RE: Off Map Boxes - 7/22/2009 11:58:22 PM   
Chief Rudiger

Arjuna,

These are the only options i have...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 5
RE: Off Map Boxes - 7/23/2009 3:25:34 AM   
Arjuna

OK, then it looks like that capability was added for BFTB. You'll just have to wait!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 6
RE: Off Map Boxes - 7/27/2009 8:25:34 PM   
Chief Rudiger

Arjuna,

Will it be possible to design backward compatible elevation models in BFTB MapMaker or will any of these new features be ported back into the COTA MapMaker with the next patch, if there is one?

Ryan

Post #: 7
RE: Off Map Boxes - 7/28/2009 12:46:21 AM   
Arjuna

No you won't be able to use the BFTB MapMaker to generate COTA maps. The map classes have changed to cater for BFTB's requirements. We are yet to decide on whether or not to upgrade COTA at some point in the future. As I mentioned in another thread we will be sitting down and reviewing options after BFTB is released.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Off Map Boxes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI