Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WWII Era Flamethrower Demo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WWII Era Flamethrower Demo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/19/2009 3:56:10 AM   
KG Erwin

Excellent footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dmE-emrrAs

Incredible to think that this weapon was regularly used in the latter part of the Pacific War. At Iwo Jima and Okinawa, this weapon in combination with high-explosives was commonly used to root out the caves and reinforced bunkers employed by the Japanese. It is both awe-inspiring and horrifying.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/19/2009 3:59:16 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/19/2009 5:30:14 AM   
Doggie

From viewing the comments, it appears there are a lot of idiots who like flamethrower videos.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/19/2009 11:13:28 AM   
Lützow

Should be horrible to die by a flamethrower.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 3
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/19/2009 5:40:07 PM   
Doggie

As opposed to the more pleasant causes of death, such as being hacked to death with an entrenching tool or run over by a tank. I shouild think flamethrowers would be just the thing for winning the hearts and minds of cave dwellers in Afghanistan.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 4
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/19/2009 7:54:49 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

As opposed to the more pleasant causes of death, such as being hacked to death with an entrenching tool or run over by a tank.

A nice nuclear blast would be a better way to go than by entrenching tool.

quote:

I shouild think flamethrowers would be just the thing for winning the hearts and minds of cave dwellers in Afghanistan.

I second that idea-just need some longer range flamers.

The age old problem; I really want to set that guy on fire, but I just can't reach him. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 5
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/20/2009 4:02:54 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I'm not a flamethrower expert but I thought there was more to it than that. There was no flaming sticky residue there. That looked a lot more like a gas fire than a napalm fire.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 6
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/20/2009 10:39:19 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

If you had a choice of dying from flamethrower, cancer, leprosy or AIDS, or being ground and pounded to death by GSP, which would you choose?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 7
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/20/2009 11:03:56 AM   
jackx

Cancer, as you did not specify which, and that leaves room to come up with a relatively quick and easy death.  Same for AIDS - if we can pick and choose the secondary infection that does us in, that might be a good way to go, too.
Not very keen on being burned -being beaten to death is probably equally unpleasant, but you might get to fight back, if ineffectually, for a bit.

That said, if I had to chose my own unpleasant violent death, I'd go with "shredded by canister and left to die".

I'm not a flamethrower expert by any means either, but I too feel that it burns a bit quickly (when he's flaming into the air, I was kinda expecting "burning drops" to fall down), but then, I don't know what fuel they would've used historicaly, and what they could and could not use for this demonstrations.

I ignored the comments, but they seem like typcial youtube fare, I only read those on guitar videos, for the added hilarity. ;)

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 8
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/20/2009 11:12:05 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackx

That said, if I had to chose my own unpleasant violent death, I'd go with "shredded by canister and left to die".

That does have a lot of appeal to it. You may also get some glory out of it too if it's part of a brave last charge that will be remembered forever throughout history. Your great grandkids can brag about it on Facebook.

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 9
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/20/2009 4:04:15 PM   
Doggie

According to an episode of Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman rabies is a beautiful way to die. Lots of time for in depth introspective and memorable last words.

The flamer looks like the tank is full of propane. The video does not match stock footage.

As for their use in modern warfare, you can say what you want about the Japanese, but at least they weren't sniveling whiners like certain Arabs we know. Most of the Imams don't even stop to take a breath after a stem winder about how the streets are going to run red with the blood of infidels before they're crying about how unfair it is when the sons of pigs and monkeys shoot back.

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 10
RE: WWII Era Flamethrower Demo - 7/20/2009 4:22:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

Locking this up. Doggie, the original poster had nothing to say about Afghanistan, Arabs, etc. I don't appreciate the attempt to bring current events into this, consider yourself warned.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WWII Era Flamethrower Demo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI