Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question AE's modified AI capabilities

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question AE's modified AI capabilities Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question AE's modified AI capabilities - 7/3/2009 1:50:16 AM   
fcam1387

Sorry to drag this out, but I am just curious about the modifications this expansion will bring...

Is it possible to make an AI that won't just follow scripts, but can react to situations as they arise - or does AE's AI contain part of this ability as well?

What I'm getting at is if I, as Japan, decide to invade Hawaii or go all out against India in 1942 will the Allied AI maneuver their forces to react to that threat? The same goes for a US invasion of Okinawa in, let's say, 1943?

Does AE's AI have the ability to sustain itself for the duration of the entire war? So if I were to play as Japan in 1941, would the US start to adopt an offensive posture when they have capability and gradually push me back to the Home Islands - or if I was playing as the US would Japan's AI have any capability of playing an enjoyable game until the end of the war?

Post #: 1
RE: Question AE's modified AI capabilities - 7/3/2009 2:16:45 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcam1387

Sorry to drag this out, but I am just curious about the modifications this expansion will bring...

Is it possible to make an AI that won't just follow scripts, but can react to situations as they arise - or does AE's AI contain part of this ability as well?

Yes...that AI capablility is a bit slower and refered to commonly as PBeM.

quote:

What I'm getting at is if I, as Japan, decide to invade Hawaii or go all out against India in 1942 will the Allied AI maneuver their forces to react to that threat? The same goes for a US invasion of Okinawa in, let's say, 1943?

There are contingency scripts built in with particular triggers.

quote:

Does AE's AI have the ability to sustain itself for the duration of the entire war? So if I were to play as Japan in 1941, would the US start to adopt an offensive posture when they have capability and gradually push me back to the Home Islands - or if I was playing as the US would Japan's AI have any capability of playing an enjoyable game until the end of the war?

Hopefully... there have been numerous late and mid-war scripts developed for the purpose of providing a challenge through to the end....but remeber its still not a human and can't think.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to fcam1387)
Post #: 2
RE: Question AE's modified AI capabilities - 7/3/2009 7:33:29 PM   
msieving1

Don't know if it's possible, but it would be nice if players could write and add their own AI scripts to the game. This would allow a lot more people to come up with unusual contingencies.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 3
RE: Question AE's modified AI capabilities - 7/3/2009 7:36:58 PM   
Don Bowen

The AE AI is script driven but the scripts allow certain reactions. In this condition - do this reactions.

The scripts are exposed in the editor.

But wait, there's more! Details later...

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 4
RE: Question AE's modified AI capabilities - 7/3/2009 7:55:39 PM   
AttuWatcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: msieving1

Don't know if it's possible, but it would be nice if players could write and add their own AI scripts to the game. This would allow a lot more people to come up with unusual contingencies.

If allies capture Tsingtao = unleash hell

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 5
RE: Question AE's modified AI capabilities - 7/3/2009 8:59:10 PM   
Andy Mac

Lets just say take the piss at your peril take a base you shouldnt be anywhere near and the AI should react for some bases at least

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 6
RE: Question AE's modified AI capabilities - 7/3/2009 9:12:08 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

The AE AI is script driven but the scripts allow certain reactions. In this condition - do this reactions.

The scripts are exposed in the editor.

But wait, there's more! Details later...

Thanks for info Don!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 7
RE: Question AE's modified AI capabilities - 7/4/2009 1:12:05 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAsea
If allies capture Tsingtao = unleash hell

The Japanese want their beer back...

I expect there will be mod AI scripts available by people writing their own after release, just as there has been with everything else.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question AE's modified AI capabilities Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI