Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

One unnussual question :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> One unnussual question :) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One unnussual question :) - 7/1/2009 9:18:01 PM   
Monkeys Brain

About counters,,,,

OK, I know, you all love NATO counters etc...

While I am also veteran of wargames - I am not very fond of NATO counters. Of course if that is only choice OK but when I play TOAW I play it with those tanks (so pseudo 3D mode). I like those tanks, planes, infantry in TOAW and I know that not many people play in that mode but ahem that doesn't make me bad player hehehe.

Well, I know that maybe I am asking this in vain and that most probably you will only have one set of counters...
(which again tells how developers before had bigger teams, bigger budgets - and could make that additional graphics).

No worries, I will play the game anyway (German side of course hehe).

Mario
Post #: 1
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/1/2009 9:53:07 PM   
Terminus

NONONONONOOOOOO!!! No 3D models!!!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Monkeys Brain)
Post #: 2
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/1/2009 9:58:28 PM   
Joel Billings

It would be easy for an art modder to swap out the Nato counter set with another counter set with tanks and men. Hopefully someone will do that, but we're not planning on doing it.

Post #: 3
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/1/2009 10:39:41 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

It would be easy for an art modder to swap out the Nato counter set with another counter set with tanks and men. Hopefully someone will do that, but we're not planning on doing it.

Thanks Joel !

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/1/2009 10:41:00 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You be quiet or we will send British fleet to bombard Copenhagen

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/2/2009 11:22:29 AM   
Cavalry Corp

The one reason the game looks better is the improvement in art work - please no tanks or soldiers stick to the Nato symbols ( or use the WW2 ones )

IMO Matrix games art work still trys to simulate minatures in most games - it simply does not work.

Cav

Post #: 6
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/2/2009 7:00:05 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I agree 150%!!!!! Arrrrggghhhh!!!!NO 3D Units!!! Don't waste your programing resourses!!!

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/3/2009 12:00:17 AM   
GaryChildress

I agree with no miniatures. It would give the wrong feel to a game like this IMO. Counters are much better, although I would rather see counters with unit information on them such as 1st SS or something like that. Korsun Pocket does this and it's cool looking.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 8
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/3/2009 12:05:28 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeys Brain

About counters,,,,

OK, I know, you all love NATO counters etc...

While I am also veteran of wargames - I am not very fond of NATO counters.

Well you are not alone. Im also sick and tired of the same nato counters in every game. Som variation is always preferrable especially graphical but even authentic ww2 german ones would do. Hopefully somone will mod it for this game.

quote:

Counters are much better, although I would rather see counters with unit information on them such as 1st SS or something like that. Korsun Pocket does this and it's cool looking.

Yeah the ones in korsun series are brilliant. The best counters I have ever seen in any wargame. Its like the artwork of genious mastermind when compared to the old dry cardboard nato symbols.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 7/3/2009 12:07:14 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

Post #: 9
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/3/2009 12:15:33 AM   
Monkeys Brain

Well you are not alone. Im also sick and tired of the same nato counters in every game. Som variation is always preferrable especially graphical but even authentic ww2 german ones would do. Hopefully somone will mod it for this game.

quote:

Heh

Hearts of Iron 2 was also example - everybody including their grandpa were telling me how counters were cool and they pretended that they are big grognards (lol) when most of them didn't in fact read 2 books on World War II - and I told them that I love the sprites in that game. And then Johann Anderson told me that sprites would not be like in HoI 1, we had argument on Paradox Forum long time ago... Well another case of developer wanting that community do their own work. HoI 3 I hope will be better in that, but who knows... Well, at least they are making games that I want to play (this included).
I just don't like NATO counters. And count me in anti NATO thingie as well lol.
Some modder will take care of that.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 10
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/3/2009 2:22:02 AM   
Fred98

I prefer counters.  They don't have to be NATO counters. Instead they need to convey information at a glance.

SSG place a small light in the top right corner. You can see at a glance how many counters are in the stack and, at a glance, whether or not they are in supply.

-

Post #: 11
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/3/2009 2:40:52 AM   
Torplexed

One problem with using a graphic image like a plane or tank to replace the Nato symbol counters is that it will have to be the same plane and tank throughout the war. There is only one counter art type for regular armor I assume, so if you replace it with a PkwIII image for Operation Barbarossa it'll still be a PkwIII come Operation Bagration unless you want to go through the trouble of swapping in upgrades of the unit art as you go.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 12
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/3/2009 7:58:07 AM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I agree with no miniatures. It would give the wrong feel to a game like this IMO. Counters are much better, although I would rather see counters with unit information on them such as 1st SS or something like that. Korsun Pocket does this and it's cool looking.

When you select any unit or stack of units, you get a bigger pop up of them on the right sight of the screen with lots of info: Name, HQ they belong to, % of supply, ammo, fuel, attack/defense value, movement points left, if they're combat ready, on reserve or reffiting, if they're entrained...
Right clicking will bring up a new screen with more info.

We can't post screenshots yet, but believe me the counters give lots of information.
Also when placing the cursor over each counter there is a pop up with info.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 13
RE: One unnussual question :) - 7/3/2009 2:54:18 PM   
sol_invictus

I prefer counter with NATO symbols in all wargames except in horse and musket games at the tactical level.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> One unnussual question :) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI