Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do I desensitize myself to violence and human suffering?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do I desensitize myself to violence and human suffering? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do I desensitize myself to violence and human suffe... - 6/16/2009 10:29:51 PM   
Perturabo

I have a problem, I don't like violence. I feel sick when I hear about personal accounts of violence, also I feel bad when I kill dangerous animals like wasps.
About a week ago, I saw a magpie fledgeling on a pavement. Later when I was going the same way it turned out that it was driven over by a car near the other side of a street. I felt horribly sad for a few days after that and I still feel sad when I think about it.

Also, I feel sad and pissed off when I see people near me suffering.

What can I do about it?
I tried playing violent computer games and watching violent movies and it didn't work.

Any ideas?

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.
Post #: 1
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/16/2009 10:39:11 PM   
Hertston

Have you been drinking, mate?

Just on the off chance you haven't, though, not liking violence is not a problem. It's liking violence that's a problem.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 2
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/16/2009 10:53:26 PM   
madgamer2

Having spent 30+ years in the hospital environment both as a army medic and as a civilian worker I have seen the real violence or rather the result of it. Human suffering is something we all have to live with.
I am now old (68) and I have a volunteer job at the local animal shelter where we try to save every animal that comes through the door. We can't but our mission is to try. I don't know your age or what you do but it might help if you got into volunteer work such as I have it might help. Violence and its aftermath is something we never get used to we just have to learn to accept it and do what we can to help.
I work with cats some of which have been through more hell than we humans can even think of and it is a great feeling when one of these littl3e guys coms out of his cage any lays in your lap and purrs. We can't save them all but we can sure as hell try. You might try something like this also.

Madgamer

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 3
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 12:26:18 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

deleted due to following complaint

< Message edited by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer -- 6/17/2009 12:38:17 AM >

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 4
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 12:32:13 AM   
Greybriar

I think you got the wrong thread, SS Hauptsturmfuhrer.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 5
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 12:41:10 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I think you got the wrong thread, SS Hauptsturmfuhrer.

Okay I deleted it. Gotta love the forum spirit here.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 6
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 12:46:33 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

I have a problem, I don't like violence. I feel sick when I hear about personal accounts of violence, also I feel bad when I kill dangerous animals like wasps.
About a week ago, I saw a magpie fledgeling on a pavement. Later when I was going the same way it turned out that it was driven over by a car near the other side of a street. I felt horribly sad for a few days after that and I still feel sad when I think about it.

What can I do about it?
I tried playing violent computer games and watching violent movies and it didn't work.

Any ideas?

Pertuabo,

You're sounding a little like Vincent van Gogh.

Two quick points...

Depression is nothing to be ashamed of

and

Pharmaceuticals can turn your blues around, PDQ.

If you don't feel up to seeing an MD, let those to whom you're closest know what's going on.

You owe it to them and to yourself.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 7
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 12:47:04 AM   
Brigz

quote:

What can I do about it?

Any ideas?

If you are being honest and this isn't some kind of joke post, then it's sounds like you are suffering from depression. If so, that's very serious and you need to see a doctor. No one on this forum is qualified to help you.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 8
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 1:35:53 AM   
06 Maestro

Violence isn't a good thing, violence isn't a bad thing-it's just a thing. Sometimes it is necessary for good people to do violence.
Rather than seeing a "shrink", perhaps you could just search for some historical Polish Knight hero that slew the enemies of the good people by the hundreds. Wouldn't you want to be there with him? Surely you wouldn't consider him evil because he killed. What would be even better would be to look into hunting. To kill a big deer is something special. You should clean it yourself (gutting, skinning. Professional butchering is OK for the meat packaging. Enjoy the meat that was put on this earth for you to enjoy. IMO, hunting helps men to appreciate and respect life more-which makes you more valuable to all those around you.

If you have problems killing an insect, you need to re-analyze things.
Good Luck.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 9
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 2:07:09 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Have you been drinking, mate?

Just on the off chance you haven't, though, not liking violence is not a problem. It's liking violence that's a problem.

Well, it's apparently not a normal reaction, because everyone else seems to be desensitized.
Though, it kinda sucks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

I am now old (68) and I have a volunteer job at the local animal shelter where we try to save every animal that comes through the door. We can't but our mission is to try. I don't know your age or what you do but it might help if you got into volunteer work such as I have it might help. Violence and its aftermath is something we never get used to we just have to learn to accept it and do what we can to help.
I work with cats some of which have been through more hell than we humans can even think of and it is a great feeling when one of these littl3e guys coms out of his cage any lays in your lap and purrs. We can't save them all but we can sure as hell try. You might try something like this also.

Madgamer

Wow, how are you enduring this?

Anyway, it's an interesting idea. Maybe one day when I'll have some more free time, I'll try find out if it's there an organization that helps birds. I love birds, especially the Raven-likes

quote:

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

I don't get all this uproar about violence in games and movies.

Well, me too. Especially that the terrible mechanism of desensitisation to violence doesn't even allow to kill a wasp without feeling horrible.

quote:

So I say no to all this politically correct, anti-gaming close-mindedness which is trying to put restrictions in a form of art. The evil politicians like in Germany are just old foggies who hate games and entertainment and want to force everyone to only do lawn bowling and beer drinking for 'fun'.

A true patriot

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

Violence isn't a good thing, violence isn't a bad thing-it's just a thing. Sometimes it is necessary for good people to do violence.
Rather than seeing a "shrink", perhaps you could just search for some historical Polish Knight hero that slew the enemies of the good people by the hundreds. Wouldn't you want to be there with him? Surely you wouldn't consider him evil because he killed.

Well, the problem is that using violence for a good cause is almost an extinct thing nowadays. Now it's used mostly by criminals, at least in my country.

For example such a hero is in completely different situation - he has his pagan warrior traditions from old days, he has the Church telling him what is right and what is wrong, he has his brothers in arms that would fight beside him.

It's very different, now it's individual people versus well organised groups of violent people that have different goals.

Though, it's very probable that the heroic knight wasn't like normal people at all, but like a stadium hooligan.

Then it would be impossible to search companions at arms among normal people and they could be found only in already existing violent groups.

For example, it's possible to join a gang or a hooling group, but starting a citizen militia that would cooperate with police would be almost impossible, because thinking that something can be changed is considered insane.

quote:

What would be even better would be to look into hunting. To kill a big deer is something special. You should clean it yourself (gutting, skinning. Professional butchering is OK for the meat packaging. Enjoy the meat that was put on this earth for you to enjoy. IMO, hunting helps men to appreciate and respect life more-which makes you more valuable to all those around you.

Hmmm...
Hunting sounds interesting, but despite being a fan of eating various animal parts, gutting and skinning sounds very unappealing to me.

quote:

If you have problems killing an insect, you need to re-analyze things.

Well, I don't know. It stops one from needless killing. Some people kill spiders, etc. just because they don't like how it looks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

If you are being honest and this isn't some kind of joke post, then it's sounds like you are suffering from depression. If so, that's very serious and you need to see a doctor. No one on this forum is qualified to help you.

Hmm...
Isn't depression more about being numb than about feeling negative feelings when something negative happens?

BTW. I meant mostly violence against innocent people - war, rapes, murders, muggings beatings, etc. not violence against terrorists, bandits, etc.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

Pertuabo,

You're sounding a little like Vincent van Gogh.

Two quick points...

Depression is nothing to be ashamed of

and

Pharmaceuticals can turn your blues around, PDQ.

Well, I'm not very eager to take any psychoactive drugs. They have nasty side effects like liver damage and obesity. And then there's a question of how they affect perception - they can make one spend money like crazy, go on a school rampage, attempt suicide, etc.
At least I know that the first and the last is true I know it from people who were affected and it was confirmed by their doctor as caused by "medicines".

One thing that I find really depressing, is loneliness - a sense that one is alone. Not a part of greater group of people who can work together on realising their group will, but one is just a single isolated island and somehow it's impossible to come together.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 6/17/2009 2:43:44 AM >

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 10
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 4:22:17 AM   
vonRocko

I suggest Cannabis! You will get a new outlook on life.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 11
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 4:30:42 AM   
Doggie

Good Grief.

"Oh the poor birds and bees. I cannot bear it any longer"

Some of my best friends are dead people. I've picked up pieces of people I know out of a potato field and dropped them in garbage bags. It's called "life" and part of life is death. People have dealt with it for more than a million years.

Violence is one way we keep ourselves from getting killed. It's a good thing when we kill something and eat it, or kill aomething or someone to keep it from killing you. Senseless violence is another thing altogether. Normal people do not kill things for fun, or because their religion tells them to. And normal people don't sit around and feel guilty because they're alive and other things aren't.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 12
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 5:13:03 AM   
Terminus

Given his previous thread about his "beloved gaming culture", I think this IS a joke thread...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 13
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 6:44:18 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Given his previous thread about his "beloved gaming culture", I think this IS a joke thread...

That's what I was hoping. Strange world though-you never know...

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 8:57:17 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

Good Grief.

"Oh the poor birds and bees. I cannot bear it any longer"

Some of my best friends are dead people. I've picked up pieces of people I know out of a potato field and dropped them in garbage bags. Golly, what kind of business are you and your friends in? You're not going on my Facebook friends list and not because I don't like you. It's called "life" and part of life is death. People have dealt with it for more than a million years.

Violence is one way we keep ourselves from getting killed. It's a good thing when we kill something and eat it, or kill aomething or someone to keep it from killing you. Senseless violence is another thing altogether. Normal people do not kill things for fun, or because their religion tells them to. And normal people don't sit around and feel guilty because they're alive and other things aren't. That's right but you forgot to mention that you can get a wonderful buzz from killing the hell out of badguys or bad things. I know a guy who claims he blasted a raven with a shotgun after several days of it stealing his lunch. The only tears for that bird came from laughter and joy. I'm sure even Perturbo would have been happy about that killing.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 15
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 9:04:09 AM   
Arsan

Poor raven!!
Ha also had the right to have lunch!!

Post #: 16
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 9:11:09 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

Poor raven!!

Ya once or twice is cool, but he was stealing the poor fellow's lunch everyday and leaving him hungry.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 17
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 9:15:29 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Ah, because Gamers are desensitised to violence, yes? Get real, dude, watching red pixels doesn't do such thing. *click*

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 6/17/2009 9:31:08 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 18
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 9:20:26 AM   
Arsan

quote:

quote:

Poor raven!!

Ya once or twice is cool, but he was stealing the poor fellow's lunch everyday and leaving him hungry.

Better share than shoot!
The poor hungry bird just wanted some scraps...

Post #: 19
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 9:25:23 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Poor raven!!

Better share than shoot!
The poor hungry bird just wanted some scraps...

The dude didn't even ask! Just takes everything!

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 20
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 9:40:58 AM   
Perturabo

I guess, evolution says that stealing people's lunch isn't a viable survival strategy. It's still kinda sad, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

Violence is one way we keep ourselves from getting killed. It's a good thing when we kill something and eat it, or kill aomething or someone to keep it from killing you. Senseless violence is another thing altogether. Normal people do not kill things for fun, or because their religion tells them to. And normal people don't sit around and feel guilty because they're alive and other things aren't.

So, normal people have no emotional reaction to death?

quote:

Rather than seeing a "shrink", perhaps you could just search for some historical Polish Knight hero that slew the enemies of the good people by the hundreds. Wouldn't you want to be there with him? Surely you wouldn't consider him evil because he killed.

Actually, I would consider him "evil", because he was a part of an oppressive religious regime. Hell, even the 3rd May constitution had a death penalty for leaving Catholic Church.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 6/17/2009 9:42:41 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 9:50:16 AM   
Arsan

quote:

I guess, evolution says that stealing people's lunch isn't a viable survival strategy. It's still kinda sad, though.

No, the problem is when you steal lunch several consecutive days to a guy that have access to firearms and don't like birds.
In other cases its a perfectly viable way of life.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 22
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 12:13:18 PM   
Sarge

This forum is getting exceedingly creepy..........

We all float down in Matrix's general forum

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 23
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 12:17:23 PM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

quote:

quote:

No, the problem is when you steal lunch several consecutive days to a guy that have access to firearms and don't like birds.
In other cases its a perfectly viable way of life.

hehe funny and most probably true

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 24
RE: How do I desensitize myself to violence and human s... - 6/17/2009 1:26:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

Oh look, another discussion that mentioned religion. Locking this up.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do I desensitize myself to violence and human suffering? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI