Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fickle Bavarians

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Fickle Bavarians Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/14/2009 9:33:04 AM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Re other than Hanover (her only legitimate interest in the area)

Not quite so, here's a C&P extract from my RP post on 'No Frills' MB (p12 if you are interested in seeing the whole exchange)

As the French Court seems determined to publicly display its woeful ignorance with regard to the affairs of the German states, maybe a timely reminder will suffice to make clear that His Majesties Government has full and absolute power invested in it to effect any measure it deems fit with regard to the conduct of German affairs; to wit, amongst King Georges many titles are included those of, Elector of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick & Luneburg and Arch Treasurer of the Holy Roman Empire, and, as previously indicated by His Majesty, by virtue of his marriage to Charlotte of Mecklenburg that state can also be included.

Which seems to me to give England far more, "Rights", re Germany than france, at least up to 1806 and the disalution of the HRE.

All the Best
Peter

(in reply to ShaiHulud)
Post #: 61
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/14/2009 7:54:06 PM   
ShaiHulud

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingmaker

HiHi

Re other than Hanover (her only legitimate interest in the area)

Not quite so, here's a C&P extract from my RP post on 'No Frills' MB (p12 if you are interested in seeing the whole exchange)

As the French Court seems determined to publicly display its woeful ignorance with regard to the affairs of the German states, maybe a timely reminder will suffice to make clear that His Majesties Government has full and absolute power invested in it to effect any measure it deems fit with regard to the conduct of German affairs; to wit, amongst King Georges many titles are included those of, Elector of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick & Luneburg and Arch Treasurer of the Holy Roman Empire, and, as previously indicated by His Majesty, by virtue of his marriage to Charlotte of Mecklenburg that state can also be included.

Which seems to me to give England far more, "Rights", re Germany than france, at least up to 1806 and the disalution of the HRE.

All the Best
Peter

I'd be interested if I could figure out where/what "No Frills MB" is..heh.

Regardless, the word 'legitimate' is key. When Attila claimed half of the Roman Empire his 'legitimate' basis was because the sister of the Emperor begged him to rescue/marry her. England's claims are, similarly, self-serving. I daresay she would never recognize a Prussian claim to Scotland based on a mere marriage.

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 62
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/14/2009 10:10:35 PM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Yer Sorry P, bad manners slinging abbreviated addresses around, I know what I mean other folk might not, so to translate, 'Opponents wanted' forum, 1792 "No Frills" Message Board, p12 and just in case RP = Role-play, I don't normally talk like that ...honest!

I think Prussia was still something like the Mark of Brandenburg when England & Scotlands Crowns were united (1603) so yer they probably would give short shrift to any Prussian claims along those lines + some of the folk north of the border took serious objection to a Hanoverian King in the preceding decades, the Gods alone know what they would have thought of a Prussian King!

Seriously though, the moot point re legitimacy as I see it is that George III had personal title to lands in Germany + as Arch Treasurer he was in effect an officer of the Holy Roman Empire which was still at the time (1794) a recognised voice of authority amongst the German states, and of course Louis Bourbon didn't

All the Best
Peter

(in reply to ShaiHulud)
Post #: 63
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/14/2009 10:20:32 PM   
Harvey Birdman

quote:

Does the artillery get created with the morale as at purchase or commission time?
I don't know either.

But I do know most of their morale comes from the factory level.

quote:

10.2.5 Factories
Each level of Factories increases the output of Labor in a province by 50%, and
increases the output of manufactured goods – Iron and Luxuries, and Textiles – by 10%.
Artillery Prerequisites – Factories are a pre-requisite for building certain artillery units in a province:
Level of Factories
Producible Units
Artillery
Howitzer
Heavy Artillery
Artillery Unit Morale – Factories also improve the Morale of artillery built in a province by (Barracks/20) + (Factories/5).Artillery Unit Production – In addition, Factories improve the speed at which new artillery units are constructed. If a province has 4 levels of Factories then the production time for artillery is decreased by 1 month; if 8 levels, 2 months; if 10 levels, 3 months.

Sorry about your bavarian tradegy.

Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 64
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/14/2009 11:48:04 PM   
aprezto

Hi Gents;

Well if nothing else this has drummed up some interest in the game. I must admit it was sort of daudling along. Much better now.

ShiHulud:
We so very nearly had a house rule that no insurrections were allowed. One vote against it, and it wasn't Britain, so now that it is in, he's making hay while the sun shines.

The Turkish move is intriguing. It seems to have so much against it rather than for it. I can only imagine that he knew the Austrians would now go for it. I would have thought he was far more worried about the Austrians having it than the Prussians, even if we do have a Pledge of Defence. It has removed the Bavarian army from the board, but again, that only seems to benefit the Turkish in a very oblique fashion.

I did allow the Austrians to have Saxony since I had obtained Bavaria. While that was in place it seemed fair, I did not want him disgruntled. Which really does bring us back to my plans to woo the French. Am I cutting of my nose to spite my face by turning my back on the Austrians (although I don't plan to 'turn my back' completely, just become neutral, although that may be how the Austrians see it).

Thanks for the note on the Jaegers. I think I read that on the forums, as you say, can't find it in the rules now that I look.

I have put a line in the sand. I don't want it to be too immovable, as being implacable could be just as detrimental to me - must be flexible. But, I have a beef with Britain. I don't have one with anyone else, and that includes the French. The Austrians cannot help me with the British, well not directly. Any move by their forces into the North is like opening a gate in the South and East.
So, if this is my goal: undermine the British, then my best ally is France.

Peter and ShiHulud:
I'll admit quite a level of ignorance of the state of affairs, marriages and whatnot that made up the tangled web of the time we are simulating. The rules of engagement, from my perspective, have been created by ACW and they revolve around glory. In that case Britain has NO grounds in Germany minor other than Hannover (I think maybe Saxony too???) So the rest of his conquests, and his continuing harrassment of Prussia is purely through sour grapes at my diplomatic endeavours (he may say faux pas) and his own 'need', such as that is, for European land.
Keeping this in the forefront of my mind has been difficult, as I know enough about the period that Britain certainly did not see eye to eye with France, and that it bolstered Prussia as a foil to the French. Both of these situations are patently not occuring in this reality, and nor should they have to. Knowing that, I must remind myself that just because the real George III had a claim on whatever minor, or that he hated the revolutionaries, does not mean it must be so here.

Harvey:
Hey thanks for that. Yes I knew of the influence of factories on artillery, just neglected to list it, got a bit one-track-minded. Breslau has level 5 factories (have built 2 upgrades there).
No worries about the Bavarian episode, has certainly added some spice

OK then. Since I seem to have a knowing audience, I'd like to bounce this idea off you, again with the view that I might be just acting in spite of myself:

Not to contest Bavaria again.

The Austrians are asking what my intentions are, and that they are likely to attack. Since I have a rabid Britain on my case, they are likely to continue to undermine me. In which case, owning such a ripe plum as Bavaria seems to be detrimental in many ways.
Instead, I allow Austria to take it, lock stock and two smoking barrels. This should incense the French, show the Turks they are idiots, highlight the open sign the British have lit for Austrian growth, and take Prussia out of the limelight she seems to have found herself in.
The glaring problem with this is that Munich is worth 3 glory, and two of the other regions worth 1 each. But Prussia so regularly doesn't have the benefit of these locations.
I also do not want to take any of Bavaria from the Austrians. Doing so will make me seem very two faced when we come to negotiation about the state of our alliances. The truth is he will desperately want me to continue the pledge of defence because he will be alone, and a target.
I continue to increase the size of my army as rapidly as I can manage. Then sit on the side lines. The idea being that the French attack the Austrians, bring in the Russians and Turks. I gain an enforced peace with the French, and attack the British. Hopefully I can also convince the French to come on board if I make good headway. All this sitting around though, has worked into British hands somewhat. I know he is aiming for uber troops (thank god riflemen aren't allowed yet). But I can't be everywhere, and his ability to land anywhere on my coast will be difficult to offset.

So, am I being stupid to drop my claims on the game's targets for Prussia? Have I reaped a decent return for the time I did own Bavaria? If I am allowed to stay neutral (obviously a pledge of defence with Austria cuts both ways, I will be alone).

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to Harvey Birdman)
Post #: 65
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/15/2009 2:56:38 AM   
Harvey Birdman

quote:

The Austrians are asking what my intentions are, and that they are likely to attack. Since I have a rabid Britain on my case, they are likely to continue to undermine me. In which case, owning such a ripe plum as Bavaria seems to be detrimental in many ways.
Instead, I allow Austria to take it, lock stock and two smoking barrels. This should incense the French, show the Turks they are idiots, highlight the open sign the British have lit for Austrian growth, and take Prussia out of the limelight she seems to have found herself in.
The glaring problem with this is that Munich is worth 3 glory, and two of the other regions worth 1 each. But Prussia so regularly doesn't have the benefit of these locations.
I also do not want to take any of Bavaria from the Austrians. Doing so will make me seem very two faced when we come to negotiation about the state of our alliances. The truth is he will desperately want me to continue the pledge of defence because he will be alone, and a target.
I continue to increase the size of my army as rapidly as I can manage. Then sit on the side lines. The idea being that the French attack the Austrians, bring in the Russians and Turks. I gain an enforced peace with the French, and attack the British. Hopefully I can also convince the French to come on board if I make good headway. All this sitting around though, has worked into British hands somewhat. I know he is aiming for uber troops (thank god riflemen aren't allowed yet). But I can't be everywhere, and his ability to land anywhere on my coast will be difficult to offset.

So, am I being stupid to drop my claims on the game's targets for Prussia? Have I reaped a decent return for the time I did own Bavaria? If I am allowed to stay neutral (obviously a pledge of defence with Austria cuts both ways, I will be alone).

Since your in a weak position, The best strategy to get all of bavaria back is to ask the britain/turkish and/or french/russian alliances if you can have it back.

And what do I have to do for you to help you achieve their goals.

Who is sweden allied with? Sweden is allied with you and britain. That means you and turkey are the weakest links connected to the glory leaders in the alliance network.

< Message edited by Harvey Birdman -- 8/15/2009 3:28:00 AM >

Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 66
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/15/2009 3:49:18 AM   
aprezto

HI Harvey;

A little cryptic for me I'll admit.

Have I got you straight:

Choose either Britain/O.E or France/Russia whether they are OK with me having Bavaria? And if they are take it back from Austria? Because it will be Austria that obtains it next.

I am also struggling with your last statement. The glory leaders are Austria and Spain.

When you say 'weakest' link, as a supposition to Swedish allies I get lost.

Am I not seeing the wood for all the trees?

Post #: 67
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/15/2009 4:38:35 AM   
Harvey Birdman

quote:

A little cryptic for me I'll admit.

I have to be cryptic because I've read the other threads.

Ideally talk to both the b/oe and f/r alliances. See what their intentions are and what they offer.

quote:

I am also struggling with your last statement. The glory leaders are Austria and Spain.
From another pbem109 thread I can tell spain and austria are neck and neck for the glory lead. ie winning

quote:

When you say 'weakest' link, as a supposition to Swedish allies I get lost.

It wasn't meant to be a supposition to swedish allies. I just added that sentence after checking another pbem109 thread to see the alliance stucture. spain to austria are all linked by allies. ie spain to turkey, turkey to britain, britain to sweden, sweden to prussia and prussia to austria.

russia and france are separate. You and turkey are linked to austria and spain. The glory leaders. That's why I consider you both to be the weakest links.

You need to think about AI behavio. T they gang up on the glory leaders. They're following a bance of power strategy. They'll even drop allies to do it.

As far as austria grabbing bavaria. Tell him you want bavaria. Threaten to give him back his polish provinces and leave the alliance. Even if it's just a bluff. See what his reaction is.

In general, don't ever stop negotiating with other players even if your at war with them. Try to get what you want without war. It's better to be neutral because your bargaining position for entering a coalition is better. The last thing you ever want is to be in a inferior coalition and lose a war, because you lose half your glory.

quote:

Winning a war earns the largest bonus, and surrendering earns the largest penalty:
Accepting a Surrender gives a nation up to +32 to Glory, and +3 for each • city the surrendering nation still controls. Limited Surrenders provides up to +16 Glory, and +1.5 for each city the surrendering nation still controls.
Surrendering costs -40 Glory, or -20 for a Limited Surrender.•
If surrendering player’s Glory is positive, he loses 50% of his total • Glory, and 25% for a Limited Surrender, if greater than -40 and -20 respectively.
So, if Russia surrenders and has Glory of 100, she would lose -50 Glory.
Other bonuses

< Message edited by Harvey Birdman -- 8/15/2009 5:56:57 AM >

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 68
Hessian war - 8/15/2009 7:09:33 AM   
aprezto

Turn 34

Harvey;
Much clearer. Thanks a whole lot. However, your advice very much seems to be against what I was hypothesizing. The 'plan' is/was to pull out of the Austrian alliance. Go back to the position of being on the fence. But I want to make it easier for France to unhorse the Austrians, and not go to his aid. To do that I don't really want Bavaria, it is the prize that the three of us will fight for. Let them fight. And if the French get on top, the British will get antsy.

I'll admit that I have fallen out of conversation with Britain. I just can't garner a point out of him, he has to be right about everything and it got tiresome.
Had an interesting go to with the Ottomans, I was a little grumpy to begin, taking your advice I might have to dial that back a bit. He, at least, would concede a point.

Diplomacy
A whole lot of new treaties on the table this turn, or more, they are extensions of old ones. The French offer to extend friendship with the British - very bad news. The British extend their alliance with Sweden and also with Turkey.
We DOW Hesse.
My two diplomats head south towards Ottoman lands. I worry about this now, as he and the British have signed an alliance. The Ottomans could go back to the British and get them to start insurrections against me. As we know, the British are the insurrection kings.

Military
The Prussian army moves on Hesse while the returning Army of the Rhine gathers the light cavalry and moves to Madgesburg. I may have to shell out an overly large amount of cash to stop the Hessians, who I imagine will retreat to British Brunswick. We shall see.

Trade and Production
Two banks and a farm built this turn. I am changing my appreciation for courts. I may have to start purchasing these (otherwise useless for such a small nation as Prussia), to at least have some protection from the insurrections.
I commission a court in Mecklenburg, a farm in Madgesburg.
I build another militia in Poland.

Economy
I am down to 177 cash. Oh how nice it would be to have the British as friends rather than enemies. Income, with all these depots out and with the Prussian army in enemy lands is down to 100.

Post #: 69
RE: Hessian war - 8/15/2009 10:41:48 PM   
Harvey Birdman

quote:

I'll admit that I have fallen out of conversation with Britain. I just can't garner a point out of him, he has to be right about everything and it got tiresome.
Had an interesting go to with the Ottomans, I was a little grumpy to begin, taking your advice I might have to dial that back a bit. He, at least, would concede a point.

You've just had a lesson in why it's not good for prussia to annoy one of the 2 economic ie money superpowers on the map.(britain and france)

Rather then sending your diplomats to harrass turkey, I'd send my merchant to one of the 4 money seas arround britain build your all docks to 7 and bank up them and invite the british to park a merchant in the neighbouring sea zone. Your ports will earn double port income from his merchant.

I don't think most people realize ditching or lowering your feudalism income asap and relying on merchant income and port income from foreign merchants after building dock 7 in all ports is superior.

< Message edited by Harvey Birdman -- 8/15/2009 11:09:59 PM >

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 70
RE: Hessian war - 8/16/2009 12:50:37 AM   
evwalt

Another option for you, contact France and offer to be his toady. Stick with him through think and thin and basically act like a big protectorate. See if you can nibble around the edges of the glory race until you gain make a jump.

Eventually, France will get around to smashing the British and you can have your revenge.

Russia in "Going Again II"
France in "Quest for Glory"
Prussia in "Invitational"

Post #: 71
A piece of the hallowed Bavarian land... - 8/16/2009 5:53:18 AM   
aprezto

Turn 36

Hi Harvey;
Indeed you are right. Obviously you start on the back foot in this scenario being at war with France, but the British situation is all my making. On retrospect I think this is because I had discussed things with him in the mistaken position of thinking we would be 'discussing' as equals. Basically his behaviour since our correspondence has been: 'well stuff you, in the end I put up with you, you do not deserve a place at my table'.
Regarding the merchant, at present I am located in the sea of Zealand, it isn't bad as far as zones go, and the good money spots are taken by France and Spain. I kind of don't want to highlight the merchant situation, he can so easily add to my misery by sticking a merchant in that zone as well and competing with me.
I have actually done the reduction of fuedal income in my Britain game, as Prussia you get so little wood it is difficult in the extreme to build up the docks (obviously there is the option of trade, maybe only with Sweden). I am also so slow at gaining NM and have only one merchant, that I didn't think this was a viable strategy for Prussia. It may be too far down the track to take this tack now? I do have Mecklenbug, Courland, and the two Prussian provinces with ports in the Baltic. It might be worth a dabble. Thanks!

Hi Evwalt
Good news on the French front. They agree that they will aid us in an attack on Britain when they attack Austria. He needs more time to get his army in better condition. I don't know whether this is quite toadying yet, but I think I might offer back that there isn't a need for him to attack at the same time as I do, only that he does attack. This might prove too damaging for my chances however.
Also, I have a nasty feeling that every diplomatic overture I have shared with France is actually making it to Britain. If this is the case I am done for. My refusal of Austrian aid, as my overture to France, would then horribly backfire as it became me versus Britain (and possibly Sweden as well) alone.

Diplomacy
Well things have certainly hotted up. Britain and Austria DoW Bavaria, with Britain breaking neutrality and marching through Prussian Westphalia. I think their target is Berg, one of the Bavarian provinces with a supply centre. It also has two milita defenders, thanks to yours truly who set that up when we owned Bavaria.
The Austrians may have declared a surprise war, as they are already in Munich. The Austrian army is much bigger than the British, they are already in place, but like Britain, have two militia to overcome behind the walls. It would not surprise me too much if Matto charges the walls to deny Britain. Then again, for a close ally, Matto doesn't correspond much, so maybe this is an 'in league' move with Britain. I'd be very surprised if it was though. The British may hate us but violating our neutrality is still pretty drastic action.
So, what to do about the British violation. I think the answer to that is: nothing. Just bide my time. Put my dish of revenge on to cook, have it done and well cold ready to serve if/when the moment arrives.
The Spanish further their lead by gaining the Papacy as a protectorate. I have never played Spain, but considering their Catholicism I imagine this will gain them glory. They will therefore advance further into the lead, but hopefully also become more of a tall poppy. Harvey, I don't know if everyone else playing knows your rules about following the AIs example and ganging up on the leaders.
My two diplomats are still moving south. I would like to try and unhorse Egypt. Britain is now allied with Turkey, but lower Egypt is one of their richest locations for glory. It's a long shot, but I want to sow a bit of discourd their. I fully expect, once I start trying to cause an insurrection, to see the British attempt to cause insurrections with me. I will then have to back off again. 'Do as I say, not as I do' being the British mantra.
As a final thought, the plum of Bavaria might still prove a trigger. It looks highly likely that Austria will gain it all. The British will expect me to be demanding my slice, which will suit their idea of not allowing Austria to get too big. I am not going to be demanding anything. This is the hydra of their creation.

Military
A thumping defeat of the Hessian forces, and we take two Hessian IDs prisoner. As expected the single remaining Hessian ID has retreated to British Brunswick.
So the Prussian Army will stay in location to attack the walls. I also ring Hesse with supply depots to make sure the food and bullets get through.
The Army of the Rhine is now in Madgesburg guarding the supply head. There should be nowhere for the single remaining Hessian ID to go.
I don't think the British will also DoW Hesse. They may and arrive hoping to claim the province. As stated, I did not want Hesse the province necessarily, just to crush the army. That has been achieved. If he thinks that will bring me to the bargaining table he is mistaken.

Production and Trade
The militia built in Poland is housed. Only one location left without defence.

Economy
I am taking a monetary hit for having all the supply depots deployed. Approx 75 income this turn.

Game
Strange, I have not lost empire status?

(in reply to evwalt)
Post #: 72
RE: A piece of the hallowed Bavarian land... - 8/16/2009 8:12:44 AM   
lenin

Empire status is adjusted every quarter, so you might have a turn or two to rectify the situation.

"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 73
RE: A piece of the hallowed Bavarian land... - 8/16/2009 8:54:40 AM   
aprezto

Thanks Lenin;

Nope, no chance I can manage that.

(in reply to lenin)
Post #: 74
RE: A piece of the hallowed Bavarian land... - 8/16/2009 9:28:16 PM   
ShaiHulud

Sorry I've not replied sooner, but, offering advice, while having 100% hindsight AND reading the other threads, has to be done carefully.

I agree with Evwalt that you should hook your star to France. Problem is, France is reluctant to commit to war with Britain! Nevertheless, try, hard, to convince France of your worthiness and LOYALTY as an ally.

Britain is burning all its bridges to Prussia and you'd love to give them pause, yes. Bide. To quote Machiavelli, " Do your enemy no small harm". Prepare your armies, find good allies, and, when you strike, make sure it's a crippling blow.

In addition to wooing France, start serious talks with Russia. Even if you don't/won't talk alliance, seek them as protectors from the aggression of others. If they accept such a role, then that's one less front you need fear. Trade with Russia would suffer little disruption, so, try to get in early and be ready to get advantageous trades when Russia gets her economy running well.

Don't give up on courting Sweden. Sweden HAS to expand through Denmark. That's the only area of any worth to them that they can reach.

Lastly, DO NOT be tied to Austria when she reaps the whirlwind. No matter whom she fights, she will be vulnerable to stabs on multiple fronts. I don't think there is a chance in hell that Austria will be sending armies to defend Prussia when she has so many areas to defend herself.

That's my advice, for what it's worth.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 75
RE: A piece of the hallowed Bavarian land... - 8/17/2009 3:34:30 AM   
aprezto

Hi ShiHulud

Very true, and do try to continue to do this. All sorts of paranoia running around in your head during this game, adds to the spice, and as you say, you can inadvertently provide just a little too much information that you've obtained from knowing the other country's positions. Either way, the advice is still well received.

Yes, it very much appears that Britain doesn't want to even pretend the pretext of garnering Prussian support.

You are very right about Sweden, but I've tried to be cautious regarding Russia. I don't want to start telling everyone that I plan to become neutral. This will allow them to gang up on Austria and I don't really want Austria to be completely devastated if I can possibly pull that off. I have wrestled with this, because it does feel duplicious. Maybe I better just realise that unhorsing the cart from Austria means unhorsing it all the way. I don't know how much pause I am actually giving these opponents of Austria though. I mean, with the loss of Bavaria I am very weak. I am trying to rectify that with new troops, but in my previous games against the AI, as Prussia, it has been her multiple generals that pop up through combat that start to make her forces capable. But I am probably kidding myself if I think I can become neutral and not invoke Austria's disgust.

I have to hand it to Spain. Through all this she doesn't rate a mention, yet there she is on the top of the standings.

(in reply to ShaiHulud)
Post #: 76
Fresh hope? - 8/19/2009 11:22:53 PM   
aprezto

Turn 37 and 38

Diplomacy
The cat is officially out of the bag. It appears, in the course of conducting diplomacy, Le Terje had divulged to Britain that I planned to renege on my Pledge of Defence with Austria. This is not what I offered to France so this prompted a very hasty email correspondence to France. Thankfully he didn't declare war on Austria on turn 37 and I don't find myself forced to honour the treaty and go to war against France. After another misunderstanding with Le Terje, that he thought I was now reneging on my deal to become neutral, something I still plan to do, things with the French settled down. I would imagine he wants to wait until the arrival of Napolean anyway, so a delay does not upset his timetable.
There were some disquieting hints at not wanting to attack Britain in his correspondence though. I don't know if this is just bluff and bluster, but as previously stated, an Anglo-French alliance is real cause for concern.
The above may be news, but what this really bought about was a massive diplomatic stouch with Britain.
Name calling and handbags at five paces continued for most of a day, war was imminent, until suddenly two important points were bought to light. The manual has an error falsely stating that a protectorate is worth 1 empire point. But it is worth one empire point plus one per province. Since all protectorates have at least one province this means even the smallest protectorate is worth 2 empire points. Where a conquered province is only worth 1 empire point.
His initial offer of Brunswick for Mecklenburg + 10 colonies had taken this into account. I thought he was continuing with his bully boy ways.
He then went further to sweeten the deal by offering 150 Money. This is of course more carrot than the constant stick he's been busting my head with lately.
I have agreed to this and in doing so things have backed off somewhat. I note that I have made another miscalculation though, Mecklenburg is worth 1 glory for me to hold, where Brunswick is -1 glory if an enemy holds it. While I might have been up to my eyeballs in agro with the Brits, the game still thought of them as friends. I have, in short, done myself out of another glory point a turn. This means I will be down to 3 per turn from provinces. A large fall from the grace filled days of 9 per turn when we held all of Bavaria.
In other news:
We manage to subdue Hesse and Bavaria is taken by storm by the Austrians.
We lose our Empire status, and with it 500 NM. Ouch and double ouch - more on that later.
Our two diplomats have made it to Lower Egypt in Ottoman lands. This has not gone un-noticed by the Ottomans and they have threatened to march on Brandenburg to plunder it with half a million men. I don't know how he intends to get there to do so...? I'm not really taking this threat seriously, but I will insurrect Egypt and then approach the Ottomans about burying the hatchet. We, of course, have still had the far rougher of the deal. He will not lose empire status through the loss of Egypt.
The British offered a treaty of 300 money for the island of Malta to Spain. The Spanish decline.

Military
The Prussian army marches back to Madgesburg.
The Donner corps, part of the Rhine army, moves into the garrison at Madgesburg.
The newly built Jager infantry marches to Madgesburg to join the Prussian army and another
The militia in Mecklenburg is moved to Brandenburg.
The gain of Brunswick now at least gives us a land bridge to our southern holdings. There is still the province of the Papacy (now under Spanish control) in the centre of all this. I may have to go cap in hand to the Spanish to see if they are willing to broach ceding it to us....??

Production and Trade
No change to trade.
Another Jager infantry is ordered, now that I know these units don't lower morale with all other units.
A militia unit is ordered in Eastern Prussia, which has no defenders now that the Rhine army had moved to the West.
I am contemplating the purchase of a guards unit. They are very expensive and take so long to arrive that I am unsure of the wisdom of this. They are very nice units though...
The whole resource economy is given an overhaul. I was at -66 NM after the loss of empire status. I have moved many of the sliders to focus on luxuries, usually at the expense of iron, which I have plenty of now. I still cannot garner enough to do any better than +25 NM a month.
Of course the loss of the 10 colonies will not help the spice income either!

Economy
With the reduction in depots and the armies being in home lands or put into garrison, we have an income of approx 160. This will be reduced by 10 next turn from loss of colonies, and more because we will lose a stable Mecklenburg (while we wait for Brunswick to stabilise).

Game
I don't know whether I want to follow all the advice about either demanding provinces from Austria or gobbling up German minors that I have been given. I think there is an element of wisdom to having strong armed forces and little of value to an opponent who would face them to obtain, well nothing.
There are still two provinces we'd like to look at: Nausau, which is still neutral, and the Papacy province. Neither of these offer glory politically, I also don't know what impact they have on other nation's glory. So I am still very much undecided.
Prussia is still third, but very closely followed by Britain. However, Britain has been struck by a game bug (we think) and have also lost empire status. So where they were heavily closing in on us that might abate a little.
There is little doubt that a war is coming. It might suit Prussia very nicely to be on the fence and chased by the combatants, offering services, up to, and maybe even including DoW, for territorial concession. It goes against the instinct a bit I have to say, look weak in order to be strong....

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 77
Pledge of Defence - 8/24/2009 2:00:52 AM   
aprezto

Turn 39 and 40

Diplomacy
The game is beginning to move at pace.
Firstly, the Austrians have been in touch offering to extend the Pledge of Defence for a further year, added to this is the ceding of Berg.
For reasons outlined in previous updates we want put some distance between us and the Austrians. So far no response from Matto, but it cannot be positive when it arrives. So much hinges on this. Does it mean that we have just given the Russians/French/British the opportunity they've been looking for to crush us, or is the opportunity they've been looking for to crush Austria. If they take the second option, we will have to weigh up our options.
At present I have added to the correspondence (of turning down the Pledge of Defence extension) that we will keep the alliance and offer an enforced peace.
I have opened negotiations with the Spanish regarding Spanish ceding of Wurzburg to Prussia. They are open to this and would like a royal wedding and an alliance in return. We wish any alliance to be secret, considering they are the glory leaders at the moment. At present he is negotiating with other powers the ceding of territory and didn't want to start more negotiation with us. Seemed a strange reason. I am still unsure about the alliance, even if secret. We are already trying to undo ourselves from the Austrians due to being targeted by their opponents. I don't wish to get into the same bind if I can help it.
The Spanish continue their hot run as well. The Italians have asked them for protection and they have DoW'd the Venetians, and have already marched on Venice. Someone better wake up and smell the Spanish roses here. He is racing away in points, and gobbling up minor nations with armies.
I am thinking of approaching the French about any inclinations they have for Nassau. I don't want to tread on their toes, but would like to look into this.
My diplomats have been camped in Egypt now for two turns. The Ottomans have their diplomats there too, and are trying to oust mine. So far no insurrection.

Military
My armies are now camped in Madgesburg and Brandenburg. I have no plans to move them anywhere other than maybe Nassau if the French are open to our obtaining them. Next turn they will see we have turned down the Pledge of Defence extension. That may make them more hospitable.

Trade and Production
This last turn the level 7 port was finished in Western Prussia. This increased our estimated income for trade from 14 to 17.
Pommerania finished its farms so another port extension is commissioned here.
Another militia is commissioned in Poland and this will be the last.
My inflation is certainly on the rise with the purchasing of these military units. Up to 13% now.

Economy
I have about 700 in treasury and an income of 163

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 78
RE: Pledge of Defence - 8/24/2009 11:58:10 PM   
aprezto

Turn 41

Diplomacy
The most important happening was this discussion with Matto about our dissolution of the Pledge of Defence. Matto is happy with me to end it. I think ultimately he'd rather just keep me as a friend than pizz me off.
Now the rest of the world know, so it will be interesting to see if the Russians or the Brits do anything about it.
The French are another matter. I wonder whether they'll take this opportunity to attack the Austrians, or indeed, us?

Military
A new artillery unit is produced in Breslau, with the factory improvements there it comes out with 3.80 morale, which is better by about .4 of the current artillery in the field.
It is given orders to march to Brandenburg, but I doubt it will make it. Unfortuantely there is snow in Silesia so it has to go around the long way.

Trade and Production
No change

Economy
No change

Below is a picture of the Prussian Army in Brandenburg. This is not quite all our forces, but it is the lion's share. Both the Donner and Blitzen Corps are added to the Prussian army. Next turn the artillery, built in Breslau, and another Jager infantry will be added to the Donner Corps. Blucher will also be moved to the Donner Corp. Still very weak compared to other European armies.
I will have enough textiles to commission another Jager infantry next turn. I wonder though whether they are worth it compared to normal infantry. In the tactical game they are certainly very useful...?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 79
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Fickle Bavarians Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI