Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rabid Frogs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Rabid Frogs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rabid Frogs - 7/8/2009 12:50:36 AM   
aprezto

Turn 16

Diplomacy.
Well, just as I turn to the East, worrying about the Russians (more on that later). The French start spouting to all and sundry that Prussia having land on the West of the Rhine is casus belli. The fact it has been argued with him that the Bavarians asked for Prussian protection, and I can't actually cede him the two provinces he is upset about - you can't do that when the provinces are part of a protectorate - doesn't wash. He wants Bavaria returned to neutrality.
Interestingly, he now of course, holds land to the East of the Rhine as well: the two Dutch provinces, Wurttenburg and Baden.
I think the land East of the Rhine is probably in his sights as well!
So, this has kicked me in to action on the diplomatic front, and to little affect. I approached the British regarding a secret free passage treaty so that I could use the British continental land for manoeuver room. My idea being that I sidestep through Hannover if he approached directly on Brandenburg from the Netherlands. Hopefully I could take out supply depots in such fashion, or even hide in British land, able to reach out and hit him, but not get hit in return.
The British will have none of it. I fear the whole understanding about the Dutch has put the two in much closer kinship than is safe for Prussia.
I also approached the Spanish about an opportune DOW if the French came East. The French have been showering them with gold each turn, and the Spanish think it remiss to DOW a benefactor. They recommend we start subsidising them too, to offset the ground made by the French. We of course cannot afford this.
In other words, the initial approaches to the likely conspirators in the instance of a French attack are not very interested in the conspiracy. In fact I think the French have been far more active and are reaping a few of these rewards.
The Spanish and the Turks ratify an alliance...

Military
Well my Corp will not load its General and move towards Munich. I may have to have some troops in it first. I can't afford troops yet so this wont happen yet. I may look to build another infantry unit next turn, that way it should gain the benefit of a morale boost from the completed barracks, which is still 2 months away.
The Rhine Army does not make it to Eastern Prussia this turn, I try to finish their movement again.
The Russians have beenbuilding militia madly it seems. They look to be boosting the garrisons of all their border provinces with militia. At least 2 and in some places 3 of these units. This lends me to believe they are either hunkering down, or are readying themselves for war, such that we can't easily make headway into their lands. I just cannot do the same. I don't have the money or the manpower.

Trade and Production
The trade link between Upper Palatinate (in Bavaria) and the British is broken this turn due to lack of resources at my end. Since it is a protectorate I can do nothing about this. It was a bit of a one sided affair anyway, the Brits doing better from the deal then Bavaria.
This turn I commission a farm in Pommerania. I need the agriculture boost. Still struggling with a single growth every 2 turns at best.

Economy.
The only expenditure this turn was the purchase of the farm - only 8 Money (16 horses though). I have 208 cash on hand - and the Spanish want me to subsidise them. With what would I fight if I got any lower than this?

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 31
French war drums - 7/9/2009 10:42:24 PM   
aprezto

Turn 16

Diplomacy
The French are rattling the sabre, to the point of war almost being inevitable, over our holding of the Bavarian provinces of Kleves and Palatinate.
In short the wish us to cede them back to us, or they will go to war to get them. It seems they have the British on their side in as much as they (the British) believe these provinces are more rightly French than Prussian, and wont take sides in a contest of arms to sort out this right.
After much deliberation, name calling and banter, we have decided to cede these provinces to France in exchange for Wurttemburg and a cash amount of 30 money.
The British were of the view Wurttemburg should just be freed, but this is the loss of two glory provinces for no gain. Wurttemburg is at least East of the Rhine and a glory location.
I think they wont go for this. Greed is strong with the Frenchman.
In other news the French manage to cause the Austrian province of Lombardy into insurrection.
The Spanish and Turkish do sign their alliance.
The French shower the Spanish, Russian and Turkish with 30 money a piece.
I note a French spy in Westphalia. He is either just spying, but is far more likely trying to cause another insurrection.
I send the Diplomat in Brunswick into Prussian territory with orders to expel foreign diplomats. His legal ability is only 20 (expulsion is controlled by legal), so I may have little chance of getting this guy out.

Pic attached. This is the Treaty of 'Smoothing Rhine Waters'. It at least gives us something in return for the loss of two glory provinces. I still think the French will not go for it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 32
RE: French war drums - 7/9/2009 10:43:22 PM   
aprezto

Military
Alot to discuss here.
Firstly lets look out to the East. If you look at the attached pic you can see that the Russians have been building the border. Each of the red rings shows the garrisons of their provinces and Livonia (not shown) and Dvinsk both have 2 militia each. Notice also that the Russians have built a cavalry unit in Livonia (or it was levie - I note cossacks in the South - so potentially this is so).
In contrast, all of my holdings bar Courland have no militia defences. The only consideration I can make to defence out here is the Army of the Rhine - located in East Prussia (green ring). It is not much to behold - two infantry division.
I plan to build another infantry division in the east for the army of the Rhine, and as many militia as I can muster.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 33
RE: French war drums - 7/9/2009 10:44:31 PM   
aprezto

Military - Around Kleves
In this pic we can see the main French armies of the North and the Swiss in Flanders. They moved SW from Batavia to sit in Flanders. This means they don't have to cross the river to get to Kleves I imagine.
The Army of Prussia reassembles after one turn in garrison, and marches from Madgesburg to Westphalia - all things going well (green arrow). If war is to come, their likely target will be defence of Berg, down the road to the north through Friesland, Batavia and potentialy to Flanders. Hoping to cut off supply locations. Doubled edged sword this of course, he has more troops than I do so can repay the favour, or march on Brandenburg.
The green arrow passing through Kleves is the militia of the Palatinate marching to Berg to become a garrison there. This is in case the French do accept my treaty proposal. It has been my experience that you lose the garrisons when this occurs. I am desperately short of militia so try to save at least one. The one in Kleves does not follow suit as it at least is a speed bump for the French army in Flanders.
The diplomat surrounded by the red circle is the French one I am worried about. He may be causing an insurrection. Not my diplomat in Magesburg, he has just moved there. His orders will be to attempt to expel the French spy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by aprezto -- 7/10/2009 3:02:40 AM >

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 34
RE: French war drums - 7/9/2009 10:45:28 PM   
aprezto

Military - around Munich
In this pic we can see the situation in the south. The northern green arrow is the hopeful movement of the Corps moving down from the north with its Corp commander. Unlikely to get this far however.
The other green line is the movement of the Bavarian army to Augsburg in preparation for moves against either Wurttenburg and Baden in two hops, or against Lorraine directly, in the hope of stretching his supply lines. Unsure of which to do at present.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 35
RE: French war drums - 7/9/2009 10:46:04 PM   
aprezto

Military - units
Well I need lots. I just cannot afford them. I need militia, probably about 4, in the East to make it more difficult in the event of a DOW from Russia. I need militia to follow the Bavarian army, as they are likely to make headway - I might liaise with the Austrians about such garrisons. I also need at least one more militia in Brandenburg, it only has 2 at present and that wont last very long in a seige against the French Army.
I need about 3 more regular infantry units. One to flesh out the Army of the Rhine - realistically I need cavalry and artillery, but that is moon dreams, I want regular infantry in the south to enable me to cut supplies (militia can't do this unless in your own territory).
All in all, a hard ask.
Unfortunately, this is all pipe dreams, as I really must have a war chest. You need money or else things will go pear shaped very quickly. So despite all of these wants, I decide against buying anything and keep accumulating cash. Next turn I will be thinking hard about that Jager infantry. They take soooooo long to assemble though (6 turns), the war might be over before they arrive.

Production.
I gain a factory in Breslau. As above I can't afford to build anything new here - actually after a barracks so I have another location to build units (than Brandenburg).

Economy
Well I have 320 in the kitty. I want to keep it above 300 - enough, with a 66 income - to buy the Jager infantry next turn if that is my decision.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 36
quiet - 7/11/2009 9:40:23 PM   
aprezto

Turn 17

Diplomacy
A very quiet turn. No DOW by the French. The most important step impacting Prussia being our proposal to the French to share the Rhine provinces via our treaty. It is a public treaty so if the French turn it down all will know they are the warmongers.
The Swedish propose a treaty that Russians and the Spanish do not make an alliance. I imagine this is so that the Russian's targets aren't reduced. The Swedes always need to worry about their Finnish land.
The French diplomat that was in Westphalia has moved away of his own accord, and his destination doesn't appear to be anywhere within my land.
My other diplomat manages to advance relations with Hesse by 50 - a good leap - but I think I am fighting subsidisation here somehow?? (no reports as such in events). I don't appear to be monopolising their friendship.

Military
The reorganisation of the Prussian army, and its subsequent move to Westphalia, has fallen to pieces. Three of the infantry divisions and a general did not reorganise within the army and are left in Madgesburg while the rest of the army makes the trip to Westphalia. I try this again this turn.
Amazingly my 'Donner' Corp in the south manages to move most of the way to Munich. The Bavarian army has moved to Augsburg. I set the Donner Corps to move to Augsburg and for the Bavarian army to move into the Corp. I don't know if this will work. Protectorate formations do not like to be split. This may or may not qualify as splitting. If it doesn't work I may have to look at adding the Corp to the Bavarian army and slowly filling it with native Prussians, or in a perfect world, the Hessiens.
This turn I commission a Jager infantry in Brandenburg. The barracks upgrade has concluded and with its new capacity Jager infantry only take 5 turns (rather than 6) to build.

Production and Trade.
No changes to trade. I think I may have to look at selling some of my resources to minors in order to augment my monetary income (see Economy), will look at this next turn.
In production I commission another bank in Brandenburg, and as above, I've commissioned a Jager infantry Division.

Economy
Ouch, income is down to 47 because I have all my armies in the field and two depots looking after them. The purchase of the Brandenburg bank and the Jager Infantry division reduces my treasury to 186. No purchases next turn it appears. A few bank improvements are coming on line so hopefully I can turn things around a bit. I don't want to increase the tax rate if I can help it.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 37
RE: quiet - 7/14/2009 12:24:34 AM   
aprezto

Turn 18 and 19

Sorry to anyone that actually reads these. Was a bit busy and missed a turn there.

Diplomacy
Wonders never cease. The French agree to our treaty and we hand over the two provinces West of the Rhine in exchange for Wurttemburg and 30 money.
We are therefore reduced in glory income by one, but have staved off war. I wonder whether this is such a good thing, as France is likely to get much stronger, and with Austria's help we might have had enough power to overcome France now.
Little else to report. The game is very quiet from Prussian perspective now. The French, and now the English, are throwing around cash to the great nations in order to increase affiliations with each of them. Prussia still cannot afford to do this.
My diplomats continue their jobs, I try another coup in Brunswick but I'm unsuccessful. Hesse is now very pro- Prussia but they seem happy to go it alone at present.

Military
To save money, I again put the three units in the Army of Prussia (I have 9 units in this army - 6 within the Blitzen Corps within the Army and 3 in the army itself - the three units that go into the Westphalia garrison are the ones in the army).
I build another infantry division in East Prussia to increase the size of the Army of the Rhine.
I can also report that you 'can' split a protectorate army into a Corps within that army. This has worked with the Bavarians in Munich.

Trade and Production
Nothing to report

Economy
The purchase of the ID drops me to 250 money. An estimated income of 47 next turn. This has slightly increased due to the garrisoning of troops. I did have to pay an extra 10 money this turn to supply the Bavarian army as it snowed in Munich.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 38
RE: quiet - 7/14/2009 9:55:09 AM   
soeren01

You have 735 hits on this threa, so there are quite a few people reading.
And good reading it is .

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 39
RE: quiet - 7/14/2009 9:12:23 PM   
aprezto

Hi Soeren01 (formerly Soerrn, did matrix forums eat your handle like it did my original one?)

Glad to hear you are reading it. Very much a voyage of discovery as I go along. Looking back the obvious change to the AAR is the dissolution of the fiction element. I liked the idea of this alot, but have found that I am so short on knowledge of this time (Napoleonic), and am writing for a group that are likely to be the opposite, that my attempts lacked the authenticity I'd have liked.
700ish hits, actually that isn't too bad. I wonder how many of them are me editing though

(in reply to soeren01)
Post #: 40
soooo quiet - 7/16/2009 6:41:50 AM   
aprezto

Turn 20

Diplomacy
OOOOooooo it's quiet. Like that time you went to the haunted house.... Just before something without a head jumps out and scares the brown stuff out of you.
Nothing occurs publically this turn. No diplomatic wrangling, no combat against angry rebels, natives, privateers - nothing.
In a bit of an issue, as far as secrecy goes, I note, as I saved the game, that I got a flash of the Austrian turn. The outstanding feature of it being that there was a diplomatic query for them to respond to. Since nothing appeared in the public section it makes sense to suppose there is something afoot.
I mused on this, and aside from the fact it is a flaw in the game, I thought it was potentially Russian in nature and to do with the division of Polish land, which is unlikely to have sat well with the Russians. They went to war against Poland and got nothing.
Otherwise it appears everyone is hunkering down and waiting for 'something'... who knows what.
It is at this point I am reminded that I have not played a game, even vs the AI for the 23 year period this game is slated to go on for. Therefore I am short of the reasoning as to what the others are waiting for. Leeming-like I do the same, whether to not appear silly, or because I am bereft of ideas as to proceed. More on that at the end of this status report.

Trade and Production
No change in trade.
In production a bank is finished in Western Prussia. Due to other purchases I cannot commission another project here yet.
I change the production sliders in Brandenburg to complete the bank there in 9 turns rather than the 22 it was to take without intervention. This change is at the detriment of food production.
Speaking of food production I get a population boost in Brandenburg this turn, with another slated for next turn - wonders never cease! Maybe my population issues are turning a corner. Alot of military still to build though.

Military
A militia is built in Breslau for the defence of Wurttenburg (received in the treaty with France). Development of the Jager infantry at Brandenburg and the Infantry division in Eastern Prussia are both two months off completion.

Economy
It appears I made somewhat more than the 47 money expected last turn as I have 305 stockpiled this turn. 65 of that goes on building the Breslau based militia unit. Income estimated at 67 next turn.

Strategy
So, I think I need a plan, whether short term or long term. At present I am allied to the Austrians. The revelation that they are being propositioned in secret treaties is a little worrying.
However, looking at the map (you can note it in the picture attached by looking at the mini-map) there is a sizable area of neutral territory. I think I should attempt to incorporate them into my empire as rapidly as possible. To this end I think I may have to start a few small wars and take out some of the small single province territories. I have done well in this region diplomatically, and this is a dangerous step as I could just push these provinces into the arms of other great powers. I also don't want to take this approach with territories that have standing armies - like Hesse - I want their very capable troops (morale 6 - v nice under good generals). But I think I want territories under my control, able to adjust resource sliders, than as protectorates garnered through diplomatic wooing.
So I think I will start a small roll of DoWs to accummulate territory. This will hurt my glory of course.

Pic attached - here we can see the situation in the east with the Polish territories about to relent to Prussian rule. This will allow me to build some militia in these locations. They don't have bad populations; there was just no point building militia when they wouldn't be worked upon while the provinces themselves were still under unrest.
Also, ringed in red, we can see the three different infantry units under construction/training (?)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 41
Glory - 7/16/2009 6:44:00 AM   
aprezto

And here is a pic of the glory standings. You can see that we are sitting in the middle of the table, accumulating about 8 glory a turn. Spain is getting over 10 and appears to have done it without invoking the ire of the rest of Europe, unlike Austria, in second - who we are also tarred with.
If I do proceed with my small wars I will be taking hits of 10 glory for each DoW.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 42
RE: Glory - 7/16/2009 10:17:52 AM   
ShaiHulud

Umm, I missed something. Did you GIVE Silesia to Austria? Frederick the Great is spitting on you.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 43
RE: Glory - 7/16/2009 10:12:27 PM   
aprezto

Give? No. Lend to our glorious allies. Um yes, as long as they promise to give it back (June 94). I received 3 Polish states permanently into that bargain.

(in reply to ShaiHulud)
Post #: 44
RE: Glory - 7/18/2009 12:03:40 AM   
aprezto

Turn 21

Diplomacy
Very very little happening diplomatically. I have baulked at declaring war on Brunswick. I note that they have 2 militia behind the walls of their province. Next month my peace treaty with Britain ends. There are still large British forces in Denmark and he could use this time to move on Brandenburg.
So I try the diplomatic approach again: a coup.

Military
A blunder. The militia I built in Breslau, slated for Wurttenburg, cannot move through Austrian territory - woops. Well it is not an unnecessary creation, as I still need militia in the Polish territories, which all get over their unrest this turn. So this militia is sent to Eastern Prussia (movement permitting) to move further to Kovno.
Another militia is commissioned in Petrokov.

Trade and Production
No trade changes
The Polish territory has the following developments commissioned:
Walls in Grodno - Grodno is a superfortress and with larger walls will accommodate the Army of the Rhine.
Farms in Kovno - Kovno is a very good grower of wool.
Bank in Plotsk - got to keep increasing the income.

Economy
We had a treasury of precisely 300 at the beginning of this turn. I have 223 by the end with an estimated 103 being raised in the next turn. We shall see.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 45
RE: Glory - 7/20/2009 8:20:25 AM   
Russian Guard

Remember that for you to have a better chance for Hesse or any minor to ask for protectorate status, you should try to have at least 40k troops adjacent to them if possible. In a recent solo game as Prrussia I got both Hesse and Thuringia that way - used diplomats to make them favor me (almost solid purple circle), and then stationed troops adjacent.

Hessian infantry are sweet to have - I call them "The Hessian Guard" heh.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 46
OOC - 7/29/2009 11:54:32 PM   
aprezto

turn 22

Hi Russian guard, thanks for reminding me of this. I did know it but had forgotten it. It impacts the moves I make this turn.

Sorry for the length wait on posts. As you will already no we had to wait on Austria (Martin). His command structure fell to pieces and he was unable to give commands (his laptop died).
Anyway, he has command coordination back again and the game can continue.
OK, I also want to talk about a phenomena that follows games like this but is not actually part of the game itself: Role playing. It can be fun to 'pretend' yourself the leader of your nation. As such you can colour alot of your correspondence with other players. However, sometimes the lines can get blurred and that occured with me this turn.
Essentially I have been in discussion with Mus of Britain over the decision Brunswick made to ask Britain for protection this turn, which I don't mind saying irked me greatly. As such I wrote a provocative letter to Mus (or King Mus as I headed it) asking his intentions. I coloured the letter with what I thought the feelings of the Prussian court would be considering I wanted Brunswick as a landbridge to the lower provinces of Bavaria.
The tone - and tone is ALL important - was slightly angered.
However, I have to admit that the following correspondence took me aback. Name calling and aspersions cast on the character. I have to admit I am very unsteady with way people in these times spoke or wrote to each other, but I'll admit that if we had spoken to each other, like we did in this correspondence, then I would imagine Britain and Prussia would be on the edge of war.
This is not a good place for either of us to be. Relations within the game are very close. Britain really cannot afford to have Prussia against it on the continent, as she has many holdings there now. Prussia does not want Britain against her for much the same reason, he is quite powerful there now - Denmark, Hannover and now Brunswick under his wing, taking no consideration of his giant navy and well trained native armies.
So, the point here is that using such devices as OOC - out of character - discussion is important. Mus was not intending to insult he was acting his part - from his perspective a 'greedy and demanding proposal from Prussia'.

So, to the game.

Diplomacy
Well alot of what was discussed above was diplomacy outside of the game. Britain will not give me Brunswick, although he did at last provide a trade that he would be ready to look at: Prussia gives Britain all 10 of her colonies. Since I am already very cash strapped, and I would gain little from Brunswick for some time while it was in unrest, and that the colonies give me much needed spice, this is a no-go.
Britain also wants to recreate the enforced peace, his point being that if I am looking to gain the control of some of these minors then having Britain in an enforced peace treaty will mean they don't jump to Britain. I don't know if this is true. I know that a minor is unlikely to go to an ally of their provocoteur, but I don't think an enforced peace is the same thing.
My diplomats are not managing to get ahead with their game of converting provinces. I take the steps outlined by Russian guard - moving troops to be on the border of the minors.
More money is subsidise towards Hesse. Slowly I gain good relations with them. I now have the Army of Prussia slated to move to Berg. This could be taken as provocation by the French though...
I also move the Bavarian army up to Upper Palatinate to put pressure on Thuringia.

Military

As stated the armies are moving to put pressure on the minors. You can see via the screen shot, that the Army of the Rhine has also moved back from the East (well that's their orders), because you can see the large Austrian army in Prague. Austria is going to DoW Saxony, which of course means we will DoW them too (pledge of defence treaty).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 47
Saxony - 7/30/2009 12:37:02 AM   
aprezto

turn 23

Diplomacy
Little to report other than the Austrians do indeed declare war on Saxony. I don't immediately declare with them - thought I would - must be next turn (pledge of defence).
My army of the Rhine only manages to leave their garrison in Eastern Prussia. So they are a very long way from Brandenburg. The Saxon army might move on me in a turn if the Austrians cannot subdue them quickly.
I continue to play at charm against the minor nations of greater Prussia but so far none have seen the light. More of the same this turn.

Military
As explained the army of the Rhine are given orders, again, to move on Brandenburg.
My army of Prussia has to be recoordinated as the troops have not managed to get into cohesian properly. They are all in Berg now and will hopefully start to 'persuade' the Hessians to come on over.
The Austrians hand back Silesia to me and I move the militia built this turn to Silesia to garrison the walls.

Trade and Production
No change to trade
This turn a court in Petrokov and walls in upper Palatinate are finished. I commission a bank in Petrokov.
I gain two population this turn. 1 more estimated for next turn.

Economy
I have two depots out - one in Berg and one in Munich - yet I am still managing to accummulate 105 money this turn. A very welcome turn around in funds. I think this may be the effect of getting Silesia back and no snow provinces.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 48
The situation - 8/3/2009 11:35:33 PM   
aprezto

Turns 23, 24 and 25

Diplomacy
I discussed, in the previous instalment, my mistake with handling OOC conversations with King Mus of Britain. My recollection of the conversation is that I sent an email, in character, that the 'court' in Prussia were asking to know what would be done about Brunswick asking for protection. I added no demands but the email was a little accusational.
Mus took it very badly and basically responded that I got what I deserved for attempting a coup. Things deteriated badly from there, to the point that now I feel would would not come to our aid and we would not of them.
This is a great problem, as the players have ruled that insurrections by diplomats will be allowed. There is no one better placed to spam out diplomats, an expensive unit, than the British. There are also few other great powers as vulnerable to their insurrections as the Prussians, especially since about a third of my armed forces are the Bavarians. I would have to keep these forces in Munich constantly in order to stop his diplomats from breaking the Bavarians away. Obviously, if Bavarian army can't manoeuver it is pointless.
Britain offered an enforced peace proposal to last 25 months. At the same time he used his diplomats to malign me in Hesse. Now, this feels like blackmail. Take our offer or we keep getting in the way of your attempts to incorporate the Hessians.
Thinking I better backpedal here I offered to take the peace treaty and what's more, offered to exchange Mecklenberg for Brunswick. This is beneficial for him as it is a glory location (Mecklenberg). It is also a glory location for me, but so is Brunswick so no loss. I made this offer on the condition he stopped maligning me Hesse.
He has refused. Saying he wont stop maligning Prussia until we are more friendly, more friendly - apparently - is the exchange of provinces.
I am at an empasse. I feel I must get back on better terms with the British, but I hate bullying.
While there was accusational words made towards Britain by Prussia, we have not actually attacked them in a physical form. Britain is now doing that to us with the maligning.
Must I eat humble pie?
I am still allied to Austria; the pledge of defence continuing for another year or so. France is heavily influencing the Turks, Spanish and Russians. If the French continue to woo Britain, that is an awful lot against us were they to attack. The Swedes have some other plan, unknown to me at this time. I would figure though that they would be in Britain's back pocket.
It is all very worrying, I don't know whether I can go back on my principles though.

Anyway, on with the rest of the game. Thuringa becomes a protectorate. Just Hesse or Brunswick between greater Prussia and Bavaria now. Thanks to Russian
Guard's advice I have two armies with over 40K sitting on the Hessian border now. I am subsidising Hesse each turn, and have both diplomats attempting to charm them. This is being offset by British maligning while they are also subsidising Hesse. I have about a 400 diplomatic point lead on the British but they've been very successful at having nations ask them for protection.

Military
The two main armies: Prussian and Bavarian, stay in place pressuring the Hessians. The Army of the Rhine, which had moved from the East across to Brandenburg when I thought the Saxons would be at war with us through the Pledge of defence: aside - it appears, when an ally DOWs another nation, or at least a minor, that your the pledge of defence does not count?? I did no expect this.
The Army of the Rhine returns back to the East - Eastern Prussia.
I purchase, after turns of saving, a division of light cavalry. I am short of cavalry. They are so expensive.
I also purchase a militia for Wurttemburg, which has at last come out of unrest and have no defenders.
Speaking of Military escapades, the Austrians seem to be having trouble with the Saxons. They have killed one militia unit in Saxony (they have two though) and have had to retire back to Prague as the Saxon army has managed to cut off their supply source.
I note, during a break in the fog of war, that the British were heavily investing in corps containers. They had about 4. I have two. I think the British plan is to sit on the fence and then crush an empire embroiled in a war.

Trade and Production
No change in trade
I build the light cavalry and one militia.
A bank and a farm have been commissioned in Polish territory.

Economy
I am running at a reasonably regular 105-110 money a turn. I spend about 500 of savings this turn getting military units. This reduces my treasury to 143. Not good, but I think I will be needing these forces soon enough.

Game
I am running at fourth with about 200 glory. With the acquisition of Thuringa I get the opportunity to become an empire. I am taking that opportunity. There is certainly danger here as diplomats could easily remove the provinces required for qualification and you take a nasty glory hit losing empire status.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 49
RE: The situation - 8/7/2009 1:17:58 AM   
aprezto

No substantial update.

Things stay the same except the British have now moved all of their diplomats-3 into Hesse and are maligning Prussia. I move my second diplomat there this turn to charm. At present we are about breaking even, his maligning is offsetting my charm, two diplomats should get me going forward again.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 50
RE: The situation - 8/7/2009 7:34:36 AM   
ShaiHulud

I have to say, British strategy is completely unfathomable. First they cripple the Swede's fleet and take Denmark, then they play to cripple the Prussians, all while playing footsie with the French. Just who do think will be holding the French down after they've hindered all the other powers?

They seem to be hindering the lesser power's growth to gain momentary and unsupportable territorial gains. Now they want Hesse? Someone should remind them that the British battle was fought with British gold on the banks of the Elbe, and, not by the Danish army.

< Message edited by ShaiHulud -- 8/11/2009 4:06:06 AM >

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 51
Diplomatic woes - 8/10/2009 8:57:51 AM   
aprezto

Turn 29

Hi Sardaukar. I'll admit it has me flumoxed too. The only answers I can come up with is that Britain, for all her power, doesn't have easily gained glory locations. All this expansion has allowed him to gain glory and become an empire, which of course gains him glory.
I also broached with him that I had talked to France and that maybe Prussia could join in with Britain and France. This was another mistake, because apparently he took this as Prussia threatening to side with the French. The way he is acting I truly think he is courting the French.
This is a game after all - you don't have to follow history.
I, though, may have fallen into the trap of playing the game like it did mirror history, and that I could take it as read that the British would be Francophobes. Seems this ain't necessarily so.

Diplomacy
His intriguing behaviour continues this turn: another diplomat arrives at Hesse. No doubt to ratchet up the pressure. He also offers the treaty I bought up in earlier instalments:

Britain cedes Brunswick to Prussia
Prussia cedes Mecklenburg to Britain
Britain recognises neutrality of Hesse
Prussia gives Britain 10 colonies.

Needless to say I don't sign this. There is no guarantee I will gain Hesse, and even if I do there is no guarantee it will happen any time soon. 10 colonies, on the other hand, is 10 money and spices guaranteed. So, I counter with a treaty that allows just the first two provinces ceding.

There is no guarantee he will go for this, and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth to wilt under this bullying.

In other news, now the Turks have decided to join in the game. Their diplomat has moved to Munich and attempts an insurrection. I've done nothing to or with Turkey, but they don't like the Austrians, and I have a pledge of defence with the Austrians. It makes some sense that he would try and denude me of Bavaria.
So I move the Bavarian army back to Munich. The Prussian Army will have to suffice as the 40K troops on Hesse's border.

Military
Other than moving the Bavarian army down to Munich there is little news here.

Trade and Production
Brandenburg finishes a bank and I commission a farm there.

Economy
I have a treasury of about 260 money after building the farm. Income is hovering around 100. This will change when the Bavarian army moves back to Munich - I will be able to decommission one of my supply depots.

Ahh, as I finish writing this I see turn 30 has just been delivered. I wonder what the British will have done to me now...

(in reply to ShaiHulud)
Post #: 52
The pig headed bulldog. - 8/13/2009 12:52:18 AM   
aprezto

Turn 31

My apologies ShaiHulud for mistaking you for another Dune regular.

Diplomacy
The British do not go for the trade of Mecklenberg for Brunswick and continue to harrass us in Hesse. I would not be surprised if the Turkish attempts at the insurrection of Bavaria are also instigated by the British Bully. It 'feels' like if he doesn't have it his way, he wont have it. Very little in the way of compromise.

So, I have to assess the situation.
I have a firm friendship with the Austrians, but almost everyone else is gunning for them, which means they are gunning for us.
The British are not playing the historical role of suppressing the French, in fact they are actively attacking one of their current opponents, being us.
We will soon be coming to the end of our pledge of defence with Austria.
Despite their belligerent way of getting a solution, we did manage to find one with the French over the Rhine provinces.
The French army is the largest in Europe, closely followed by the Austrians, but also, closely followed by the Russians.
The French have been actively pursuing the Russians.
The French are very likely to want to attack the Austrians.

I have concluded, but will raise it here, that I am going to court the French. I will refuse to be allied with the French, but I also wont look to attack the French - an enforced peace appearing to be the best solution. I will actively help the French if they decide to attack the British.
This approach will obviously horribly alienate the Austrians, especially if this proves to be the green light to the French to attack them. I will however, attack the Russians if they take this opportunity to attack the Austrians.
This is a very very dangerous game. Without having a firm friend like the Austrians, if I can't pull off a solution with the French, then it will be me to the chop.
However, I feel pushed to this by the British. I am just sick of his diplomatic attacks. It is something done to you by your enemies.

I have to move one of the diplomats - the least effective - out of Hesse and down to Munich to attempt to oust the Turkish diplomat. This is why I think it reeks of British intervention, it is the perfect foil for our ongoing attempts to gain Hesse as a protectorate.

Military
The Bavarian army has moved back to Munich. I had thought this would stop Bavaria suffering an insurrection, but it apparently doesn't. No change otherwise.

Trade and Production
I will gain a port in Danzig next turn which takes the port to level 7 there. This apparently doubles the income from merchants docking there.
A militia is commissioned in Poland to cover another of my otherwise empty provinces.
The unit of light cavalry will be created in Brandenburg next turn. It will move to join the Bavarian army in Berg.

Economy
Holding at 110 money a turn at present. It should go up slightly with the port upgrade.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 53
RE: The pig headed bulldog. - 8/13/2009 11:43:34 AM   
ShaiHulud

A rapprochement with France seems like a good play right now. A regular, and hefty, French subsidy would be of great assistance to Prussia. The nearby British holdings will surely be at great risk, particularly if Sweden can be induced to join any attacks on Denmark.

Prior to WWII, Chamberlain kept potential allies at arms-length with his stumbling diplomacy. His eyes were opened, in stunning fashion, by the Russia-Germany pact. When he came running to Russia, too late, his window of opportunity was gone. I suspect this Britain will, also, have his eyes opened but, again, too late.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 54
correspondence - 8/13/2009 11:10:10 PM   
aprezto

Indeed ShiHulud;

So, I can report so far on French correspondence. Basically, in this reality, they don't want war with Britain because they may lose their navy and colonies. I will work on them about this, it certainly didn't bother Napolean that he didn't command the waves if he commanded Europe.
He wanted my opinion on Prussian intentions if a war was started with Austria, who along side Spain, he sees as the most worrisome (due to glory). I have stated that I wont be renewing my pledge of defence, but that I also would not join an attack, or attack the French were they to do so. I don't know how I would make it work, but I'd try to help the Austrians against the Russians and the Turks however.

The point being that, like Chamberlain, Mus can't keep sitting on the fence, and that he can't keep attacking me while preaching that I should be wooing British approval at the same time. He is forcing me into French arms.

It is better that I don't get caught between 3 nations against Austria if I can help it. Britain will suddenly realise that she opened the gate to a French rise.

A subsidy by France - could be a good idea. It would make Britain realise what's going on though. I don't know whether I want to telegraph intentions or not...

I have an alliance with Sweden. I would think Sweden very worried about being against the British, she is somewhat isolated. I am also worried, that Sweden is firmly in the British court, approaches of intent to help with attacks against the British are very likely to find their way back to Britain. Once Britain is attacked then I would approach them unilaterially - if they hadn't already DOWed against me I suppose.

(in reply to ShaiHulud)
Post #: 55
RE: correspondence - 8/13/2009 11:46:34 PM   
evwalt

I would teach Britain a lesson. Make an enforced peace with France to start when your defense treaty ends with Austria. Let France bash the Austrians and Spanish (would only drag them down glorwise) while you turn against the British.

Drive them from the continent and then sit on their negative glory areas (Hannover and Saxony) and watch them drop 2 glory a turn from you doing nothing! The British get few glory points as it is, the steady loss of 2 a turn will hurt.

Russia in "Going Again II"
France in "Quest for Glory"
Prussia in "Invitational"

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 56
Run away little diplomat - 8/14/2009 12:39:26 AM   
aprezto

Hi Evwalt - my Danish brother in arms!

That is certainly the path I am walking down now. I need to continue to woo France in order to get that certainty and then I am going to 'try' and expunge him from the continent.
The Austrians already hold Saxony, so he's losing one there, and Hannover would be my first port of call. The loss of which (although the future would change this) would be the glory location, but more importantly, he only tenuously holds the right number of provinces to remain an empire. The loss of this one being enough to remove that status.

I don't know if the French would be dragged down glorywise if he attacked the Austrians and the Spainish if he can trust the British not to attack in the rear. He is very powerful now.
The Austrians have numbers but their troops and especially their leaders are not as good or as numerous. The Spanish are now a different proposition entirely. They have trained their troops while they took out North Africa. Interesting how the Spain came to an agreement with France about Piedmont, in order, it appears, to gain a much needed General. I have noted a new General in the Spanish army and I think he is from Piedmont (not sure on this though).

I am wondering whether it is time to start wooing the Russians as well? Could be wasted effort if they help the French attack the Austrians.

Does anyone know the amount of glory I'd lose for nullifying the very extended enforced peace treaty I now have with the British?

Diplomacy
The British continue to malign and attempt to expel my diplomats from Hesse and on the second count they succeed this turn.
So now I have two turns where I will only have the amount of offset I gain from subsidising the Hessians - the British will make up ground every time they achieve an expulsion.
My other diplomat has arrived in Munich to try and expel the Turkish diplomat attempting an insurrection there. If I manage to expel the Turkish diplomat I think he has to go all the way back to home territory, which is a fair hike. Odds are even. I gain 50% bonus for being in home territory, he has half as much again legal ability on my diplomat attempting the expulsion.

No update, as of this note, regarding French correspondence other than the response to ShiHulud above.

Military
Since I now know that the Bavarian army cannot stop the insurrection attempt in Munich I march them back to the north to keep up the pressure on the Hessians.
My light Cavalry is built in Brandenburg and goes into the garrison for the moment.
The new militia built in Poland is moved to his new location. The weather is snow so this might hurt his strength (only foraging).
I buy the upgrade 'increased infantry fire 1', with experience.
I note Britain gains another naval upgrade - bully for them - my merchant will be toast with or without this.

Trade and Production.
The new docks I alluded to last turn were in Eastern Prussia, not Western Prussia - it is the western docks that are moving to size 7. That is still seven months away.
A bank, walls and a farm are finsihed in various provinces this turn. I commission two farms and a bank in these locations.
I build another jager infantry in Brandenburg. These units do suck up experience from other units but they are very good.

Economy
No change in esitimated earnings then, even though a new bank is commissioned.

Game
The Spanish and Austrians are markedly in the lead - 200 in front of Prussia in 3rd. We are 10 above the British, but earning more per turn, and then it is down to the French. No wonder Terje is attempting to get at the Austrians.
Then it is Turkey, Sweden and lowly Russia on 50ish points.

(in reply to evwalt)
Post #: 57
RE: Rabid Frogs - 8/14/2009 2:56:01 AM   
evwalt

Are playing with insurrections? If so, why don't you send a diplomat to one of the Irelands to do one? That should have one of the British diplomats scurrying back to expel you and give you some breathing room.

Don't think I would break the enforced peace. I think you lose glory points for each turn that enforced peace was supposed to go.

Russia in "Going Again II"
France in "Quest for Glory"
Prussia in "Invitational"

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 58
Fickle Bavarians - 8/14/2009 5:47:32 AM   
aprezto

Turn 33

Hi Evwalt, well breaking the truce is not an option then, still 17 months to run on that one. I think Britain would start claiming that attempting insurrections was an act of war on Britain, like maligning isn't. He also has so many more diplomats that I would ultimately lose this battle. Anyway considering this turn, I might have to woe back a bit.

Diplomacy
Gads, so with all the bitterness around the British diplomatic action it is the Turks who have actually gone and hammered me. Their diplomat manages to cause an insurrection in Bavaria this turn.
I didn't know an insurrection destroyed the troops of the minor nation as well as lost you the protectorate, but they appear to have disappeared.
I therefore decide to stop going after the Hessians, their troops are decidedly temporary, and just put the money I have wasted down to lessons learnt. Trouble with this is of course that the British will keep trying for Hesse, ultimately get them, and with their zillions of diplomats are unlikely to suffer the insurrections any other nation would.
I send a diplomat south to do the same thing to the Turks. The other better stay close to try and defend from the same thing happening at home.
I will now have to get in touch with the Austrians and see if we can't divide up the Bavarians again. I have to tread far more carefully now. I don't want to require too much from the Austrians, or have the war trigger the French taking Bavaria as a protectorate putting us at war with France.
The fallout from a simple Turkish diplomatic fiddle. Amazing.

Military
The loss of the Bavarian Army is a massive blow to my power. I fall to the second lowest army size, just above the Swedish.
The Donner Corp container, General and a single ID located with the Bavarians are pushed out to Breslau. I march them back to Brandenburg - time to reorganise.
The Army of the Rhine once again leaves Eastern Prussia and marches west to Brandenburg.
The Prussian Army is also ousted from Berg (Bavarian) to Madgesburg. I march them to Thuringia via Saxony (Austria).
So, because minor armies are useless for anyone other than Britain, I have declared war on the Hessians. I absolutely do not want Britain getting his hands on those veteran troops. May as well use this enforced peace to my own advantage (Hesse will not ask Britain for protection status while this treaty is in effect).
Time to gain some combat experience!

Trade and Production
The loss of the Bavarians proves that I have neglected the creation of my own army. I need to increase the number of artillery under Prussian control. One is started in Breslau.
I have started it with a barracks of size 3 but with size 4 building. Does the artillery get created with the morale as at purchase or commission time? I don't know. Only 0.1 of a morale step anyway. I suppose everything will count soon enough.
I am going to have to conduct a rapid expansion of the army or else I will be an easy beat when I go it alone.

Economy.
Strangely the loss of Bavaria actually helps me out monetarily. Income increases to 136. I am gonna need it.

Game
The loss of Bavaria is huge. Munich, Berg and Augsberg bought in 5 glory a turn. It will also mean I lose Empire status. That will hit me in glory totals and also lower glory per turn by 2.
The Turks have done me no favours and they will most certainly not be on my Christmas card list.

(in reply to evwalt)
Post #: 59
RE: Fickle Bavarians - 8/14/2009 6:39:58 AM   
ShaiHulud

One of the common complaints is about the frequency of revolts due to 'diplomacy'. I think they plan some changes, but, not in time to assist your game, unfortunately.

As a diplomatic move it's difficult to see how Turkey can expect to gain any advantage from sabotaging Prussia. But, IF this induces a squabble (over Bavaria) between Austria and France, Turkey might find advantage with a stab in the Balkans when Austria is distracted. Other than that linkage, it seems a gratuitous act.

Re: British 'diplomacy'- If Britain is NOT subsidizing and supporting Prussia, then, Prussia has absolutely no need of Britain! Britain cannot protect Prussia and, by snatching up German minors other than Hanover (her only legitimate interest in the area) she is actively HARMING Prussia. Apparently, Britain does not foresee a long game.

Re: Austria- Once again, your most natural ally is greedy and encroaches on Prussian interests (in Saxony).

Re: Jaegers- I'm pretty sure that their recruitment has zero effect on your other troops. A GUARDS unit, however, reduces all your troops by .33 morale.

I think it's near time for Prussia to 'fish or cut bait'. Prussia needs to secure an ALLIANCE that others will fear to daunt. To this point, only France and Russia have options to expand that do not intrude upon Prussia. Both Britain and Austria have displayed a blatant disregard for your interests. So, if Sweden will side with Britain, you are left with France and Russia. Each has a vast area to expand into(Italy and Poland, respectively) while Prussia can offer flank protection and, possibly, a second front. If she stands alone, Prussia will fall. The Austrians will drag her into unequal battles, clearly, and solely to Austria's benefit.

< Message edited by ShaiHulud -- 8/14/2009 7:38:05 PM >

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Rabid Frogs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI