Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game won't run, so how to turn off vids?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Tech Support >> Game won't run, so how to turn off vids? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game won't run, so how to turn off vids? - 6/11/2009 2:29:31 AM   
sapper_astro

Hello all,

My copy of Kharkov won't run, and like my copy of CC Longest Day, I suspect it is (depending on which way you look at it) some new video system Matrix is using/My video/sound card needs new drivers. Winter Storm and every other Matrix game works perfectly, videos and all, but now two Matrix games will not load (strangely newer games...).

I managed to get CC LD working by turning off the videos before the game starts. This is important, because the first thing I get otherwise is a green screen, and then a total reboot of my system. I tried the Windows report rubbish, and it told me to update my graphic card drivers. After doing this, the same problem occurs. So could someone please tell me how to turn off or get rid of the videos before the game is started. Thank you.

Post #: 1
RE: Game won't run, so how to turn off vids? - 6/11/2009 3:12:10 AM   
Erik Rutins

Nothing really changed between Winterstorm and Kharkov as far as the intro video encoding. Very bizarre problem you're having. Could you post your DxDiag again and have you in fact updated your drivers? The videos are in WMV format, which just required a working Windows Media Player (which comes installed as part of Windows).

Do you at least see the introductory resolution configuration screen when you try to launch Kharkov?

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 2
RE: Game won't run, so how to turn off vids? - 6/11/2009 5:28:02 AM   
sapper_astro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Nothing really changed between Winterstorm and Kharkov as far as the intro video encoding. Very bizarre problem you're having. Could you post your DxDiag again and have you in fact updated your drivers? The videos are in WMV format, which just required a working Windows Media Player (which comes installed as part of Windows).

Do you at least see the introductory resolution configuration screen when you try to launch Kharkov?

Hey Erik,

It beats me mate, but that is what is happening: Older Matrix titles are working fine, the newer ones seem to need the video's turned off.

I have included the DXdiag. I have updated the video drivers to the newest available. If you can find the cause of this, be my guest. It would be a nice thing to have these two games (and any other new Matrix ones) working fine. Thanks Erik

Edit: No, nothing but the green screen after a couple of seconds black screen, then total system reboot. No problems with Winter Storm, Cross of Iron, other older titles. This only happened with Longest Day and now, Kharkov.

Edit2: Hang on. I am getting the screen you are talking about Erik. The one with all the options on it. I have it set on the default it comes up as.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sapper_astro -- 6/11/2009 12:44:59 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Game won't run, so how to turn off vids? - 6/13/2009 1:08:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sapper,

I don't see anything blatantly wrong in your DxDiag, but videos causing a system reboot definitely means something is very wrong in your system. Let's remove the videos from the equation and see if that helps.

First, go to your Panzer Command Kharkov installation directory and try double clicking on panzercommandintro.wmv to see if it runs for you outside the game. Second, try renaming it to panzercommandintro.bak or something like that so that the game can't find it and try running the game again.

In the resolution configuration that comes up, set everything down to its minimum level and see if that helps too.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 4
RE: Game won't run, so how to turn off vids? - 6/13/2009 3:59:59 PM   
sapper_astro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Sapper,

I don't see anything blatantly wrong in your DxDiag, but videos causing a system reboot definitely means something is very wrong in your system. Let's remove the videos from the equation and see if that helps.

First, go to your Panzer Command Kharkov installation directory and try double clicking on panzercommandintro.wmv to see if it runs for you outside the game. Second, try renaming it to panzercommandintro.bak or something like that so that the game can't find it and try running the game again.

In the resolution configuration that comes up, set everything down to its minimum level and see if that helps too.

Regards,

- Erik

Hey Erik,

I first of all tried playing the video by itself. Perfect. It went fine in Windows media player. I next tried to start the game normally, with all settings down. System crash.

Next up, I renamed the into video, put the settings back on high, crossed my fingers...and it works. Without the video it works fine, same as CC:TLD. If I only knew why this was happening. It only happens with these two games so far, and it seems to have something to do with the intro video and...something else.

I bought Kharkov Disaster on the Donetz (got some extra cash as a birthday present, so there is another matrix purchase coming up, just haven't decided on which game yet) so I will try that out next. It would fall within the same time frame.

This mystery is getting on my nerves.

Edit: I tried K:DotD and it worked fine, but there is no intro video for this game.

< Message edited by sapper_astro -- 6/13/2009 4:05:41 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Tech Support >> Game won't run, so how to turn off vids? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI