Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Digital Download?...maybe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Digital Download?...maybe Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Digital Download?...maybe - 6/3/2009 11:17:55 PM   
madgamer2

OK here we are in the 21 Century....no more going to the store...no more worry about a game selling out before you get there. Now we just download it. Well the ONLY place I do digital is Matrix.
Let me tell you a little story. I wanted to buy ROTK 11 from Koei for the PC and had two choices. I do not like Direct2drive that much so I tried the other one and when I saw the Download manager they used I got a refund. So with a deep breath i tried direct2drive and the game did download and I paid for it.
Some weeks later I had a new HDD installed and had to reinstall the game. When it finished it wanted to verify I was a real user. It turns out they send a message saying they can't find my order info that I could find by going ton there web site. Finally they say that the new license number is being sent. I wait.....and wait.....and wait....and wait....till I finally email them and they have no solution so I demand a refund and get one.
At this point I have no ROTK 11 game and am not happy. I am lucky however as I get a friend who lives in the UK and is a member of a on line group that I am to buy the cd with case and manual at the amazon UK web site. I wire him the money with a little extra and he sends me the game.
The point of all this is digital download is fine from a proven source such as Matrix. I for one prefer to have a hard copy of a game but it seems like the I want it now mind set is here to stay. If I have to wait a couple of weeks thats fine. I like the digital from Matrix as no disk in drive is needed to play. So beware not all digital download's are the same.

Madgamer
Post #: 1
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/3/2009 11:32:54 PM   
JudgeDredd

I'll add if I may with an experience I have come across no more than 10 minutes ago.

I bought Armed Assault in December 2006. I bought it as Digital Download through something called SprocketIdea or Softwrap...both have a hand in this and I am not sure of the relevance of either...I do recall having a mare of an installation (3 activations and one of those was used to patch the game!)

Anyway with Armed Assault 2 on the horizon, I thought I would install it again. I got the exe I downloaded and ran it. It installed fine. When I tried to start the game, it gave me an interface to Buy the game or activate a licence. I choose to activate the licence knowing it had already been registered. I was then asked to enter my Purchase IS and Reference ID. I did so from the email I received from the company. It then stated that it didn't recognise the activation code. So I entered the details again and tried again...same thing.

I then choose the option "I forgot my details" and entered my email address. The game then told me my purchase details had been sent to that address. When I looked, sure enough a new mail had arrived. I checked the details and, as I thought, they were identical to what I had just entered. So I tried anyway...why not! Same problem...activation code not recognised.

Unbelievable! I should have known this would happen. I had an activations issue when I first received the game, used one activation on a bogus install, the second on the proper install, the third on the patch install and then promptly found I had ran out of installs. I had also had a problem in 2008 when I tried to install the game and had to re-download using the sprocket downloader...only this time the URL wasn't becoming available...had to contact support again. Now this.

Now, I have been naive in the past, but I have very much had the last straw with limited, online activations. I have managed (and I am very proud of myself for doing so) to steer clear of Theatre of War 2 because of Battlefronts activation policy (and it does hurt me...because I do like Battlefront) and I will do the same with Armed Assault 2 - if it has limited activations or online activations or both, they can kiss my funds goodbye.

It took me a while, but I eventually wised up and thought "You know what...I really don't have to jump through hoops to play a good game".

I have plenty on my hard drive, all great games and most from Matrix.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 2
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 1:23:51 AM   
sapper_astro

Same story here. Every other place I have downloaded the game, it requires the same old rubbish as when I buy it in the box; online activation/other hurdles. I haven't bought a game that requires this for just over a year now, and I am not going to start again. I want to own the thing now, and into the future.

As a quick example, let us say you wanted to play an old wargame from 1990. Who do we have left? hmm.....SSG! Yes, we have one company left! The rest, soon as you tried to install, would tell you that things do not compute/etc. I have already discussed this with another Matrixer who also plays old games, so it seems things are (slowly) making some headway.

Actually, there is one other place. Good old Games. I have been fine with them, and (at least there wasn't a few months ago!) online activation. The game is yours after download.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 8:31:09 AM   
Lützow

GamersGate doesn't require online activations either. But they don't let you make installation disks from downloaded files.

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 4
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 12:24:05 PM   
Arsan

I really like the direct download for buying games.
But the "no hassles, no activations no download managers, no restrictions" way of DD.
You pay for your game, and you download your "full" game ready to install and play when and where you want and that allow you to make backups of it... As its "your" game after all

Of these "no hassle" DD options i know...
- Matrixgames shop
- Ageod games shop
- Gog.com shop (Good old Games)

Three excellent places to buy!

I try to don't buy in any other kind of DD places. The only exception i have made (and i'm not proud of it ) is Stardock and his Impulse thing for the Galactic Civilization 2 games.
For now it seems to work Ok, but i'm sure that if they go out of business sometime in the future my games will be lost forever
Instead, i know my Matrix, AGEOD and Gog games are safelly stored with two backups (DVD-R and removable hard disk) for me to play and install when i want to

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 5
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 3:46:07 PM   
Perturabo

Does anyone know if Gog games can be played on win98?

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 6
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 4:15:12 PM   
Yogi the Great

1)  I'm old fashioned, so I prefer the "hard" copy of games.  I do like the ability to download updates and "fixes" over the Internet once you have purchased a game.  One gripe I have (again old fashioned) I think too many games are rushed out with too many bugs.  The original version (hard copy or download) should be a fnal product in playable condition, the companies seem to almost feel that they can just issue the fixes and/or enhancements later and not worry about it.

2)  Another reason I like hard copies:  I'm still on dial up at home.  Download can be near impossible and even if it can be done the time required is prohibitive.

3)  I don't like a new "Trend?" such as the new Empire Total War where you have to activate and use online systems to even play the game.  I am a guarenteed no purchase customer for games such as this, even though I have the rest of the series and this would have been a must buy for me otherwise.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 7
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 5:25:29 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

1) I'm old fashioned, so I prefer the "hard" copy of games.

Yeah, somehow buying "hard" copies is more satisfying. Especially if they have a big pretty box and a few hundred page manual *drools*.
Though, I prefer digital download when there's no good box and manual in physical version.
It would be nice if there were full re-editions of games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate with a full box, manual and other bonus stuff.

quote:

One gripe I have (again old fashioned) I think too many games are rushed out with too many bugs. The original version (hard copy or download) should be a fnal product in playable condition, the companies seem to almost feel that they can just issue the fixes and/or enhancements later and not worry about it.

I don't think it's old fashioned, especially taking in account that it's not a new problem. Personally, I wonder how they get away with it legally as it breaks customer's rights.
I guess it's a time for a gamers lobby against selling faulty products without informing customer about it.

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 8
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 5:46:13 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

1)  I'm old fashioned, so I prefer the "hard" copy of games.  I do like the ability to download updates and "fixes" over the Internet once you have purchased a game ...

2)  Another reason I like hard copies:  I'm still on dial up at home.  Download can be near impossible and even if it can be done the time required is prohibitive.

3)  I don't like a new "Trend?" such as the new Empire Total War where you have to activate and use online systems to even play the game ...

Ditto: same here re points #1 and 2: I also prefer to both edit and read HC.
However, on-line activation isn't a deal-breaker; it's more of an annoyance.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Post #: 9
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 5:52:16 PM   
Perturabo

Annoyances are deal breakers to me. What's the point of buying an entertainment product if it has annoying features which have nothing to do with it's function?

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 10
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 6:03:50 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

1)  I'm old fashioned, so I prefer the "hard" copy of games.  I do like the ability to download updates and "fixes" over the Internet once you have purchased a game.  One gripe I have (again old fashioned) I think too many games are rushed out with too many bugs.  The original version (hard copy or download) should be a fnal product in playable condition, the companies seem to almost feel that they can just issue the fixes and/or enhancements later and not worry about it.

3)  I don't like a new "Trend?" such as the new Empire Total War where you have to activate and use online systems to even play the game.  I am a guarenteed no purchase customer for games such as this, even though I have the rest of the series and this would have been a must buy for me otherwise.

Count me old-fashioned as well.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 11
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/4/2009 10:28:23 PM   
Arctic Blast

For me, the only 'deal breakers' are something like SecuROM installing folders all over the place that stay after I delete the game they came with, registry keys I need extra software to get rid of and the like...and activation limits, which are just inherently stupid. Aside from that, I'm fine.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 12
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 12:14:24 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

For me, the only 'deal breakers' are something like SecuROM installing folders all over the place that stay after I delete the game they came with, registry keys I need extra software to get rid of and the like...and activation limits, which are just inherently stupid. Aside from that, I'm fine.

I remember cleaning out my registry folders from programs that would leave files and folders and when I was done I got nearly a Gig of Hard drive space!

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 13
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 1:05:01 AM   
leastonh1

The absolute last time I got my fingers burned with online activation was when I bought an addon module for Neverwinter Nights. The module insists on authenticating against the Bioware server BEFORE it will even run. Every single time I run the module to play, I have to wait for it to authenticate. If the Internet is down, the game won't play at all. It's the last time I buy any product with a feature like this. As JD said, this is also the primary reason I won't be buying ToW2 or any other game from Battlefront.

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 14
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 1:09:48 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H
The absolute last time I got my fingers burned with online activation was when I bought an addon module for Neverwinter Nights. The module insists on authenticating against the Bioware server BEFORE it will even run. Every single time I run the module to play, I have to wait for it to authenticate. If the Internet is down, the game won't play at all. It's the last time I buy any product with a feature like this. As JD said, this is also the primary reason I won't be buying ToW2 or any other game from Battlefront.

The Battlefront system doesn't have 'a feature like that'. You register online once and that's it unless you need to re-install.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 15
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 8:00:16 AM   
Lützow

quote:

As JD said, this is also the primary reason I won't be buying ToW2 or any other game from Battlefront.

Did you try the demo? I ran out of time while still setting up my troops and afterwards deleted this crap from my hard disk. When I hate one thing in strategy games, it's time pressure.

Battlefront is just another publisher who jumped the bandwagon and their last decent title was CM 3.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 16
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 8:54:53 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Yes time pressure does not make fun in wargames.  What is a ROTK 11?  Rotting Kangaroo?  Eleven rotting kangaroos??   

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 17
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 10:22:45 AM   
leastonh1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
The Battlefront system doesn't have 'a feature like that'. You register online once and that's it unless you need to re-install.

Sorry, I meant to mention that bit. I know it only connects to register unlike NWN, but even so, if Battlefront decided to drop the game after a few years or disappeared for some reason, the game is unplayable. As a player who still loads very old games from time to time, this isn't acceptable. Some people aren't bothered by it and that's fair enough.

Lützow - I got the demo and was enjoying it to begin with. Then troops began to completely and consistantly ignore orders. Like the infantry squad who ran out of the cover of buildings to take on a tank in the open. They did this several times, against specific orders to stay put and I uninstalled immediately.

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 18
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 11:10:18 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

...Then troops began to completely and consistantly ignore orders. Like the infantry squad who ran out of the cover of buildings to take on a tank in the open. They did this several times, against specific orders to stay put and I uninstalled immediately.

Yep...put me right off too

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 19
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 9:08:48 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

I remember cleaning out my registry folders from programs that would leave files and folders and when I was done I got nearly a Gig of Hard drive space!

Good grief, man! That's...that's just sick!

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 20
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/5/2009 10:34:48 PM   
Perturabo

Files and folders in the registry?

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 21
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/7/2009 2:53:07 AM   
madgamer2

As several of you have noted it is not that download is bad but dependent on WHERE you do your digital download. I trust only Matrix as on 2 occasions Eric R has sent me my serial number and gone out of his busy day to insure that I got the information I needed. You can't buy this kind of service.
Read my thread above for an interesting time with Koei games. I am sure after reading some responses there are other places I may now try due to recommendations from Posters asnd members of this forum. We help each other here for the most part and that is a good thing.

Madgamer

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 22
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/7/2009 3:03:18 AM   
madgamer2

for me DD + hard copy, box and manual is the best and cheaper at Matrix than most places. To me its the service that is most important and you can trust the folks here at Matrix and a few other places.
Companies like Koei that sell the hard copy versions to certain parts of the world and not the USA will never get my money again. I got a copy of the new ROTK XI through a good friend in the UK. By wiring him the money in USD he made a little and I got the game CD with box and manual. He is not a gamer but a guitar player like me and a member of a online group who took the time to do this for me.
The funny part was that even with the $15 wire fee and mailing from the UK the game still cost me about $50 which is cheaper than if it waqs sold here by Koei. The game BTW is a good one and IMOP the best in the series sense the first one and worth the trouble.

MAdgamer

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 23
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/7/2009 3:10:29 AM   
madgamer2

Hi Yogi!
I got a bit extra from KKG thanks to you. I am like you and I do buy DD games but from Matrix only. Us old guys don't mind waiting for the mailed version. Now if I could just get something for all the old CD games I have managed to accumulate over the years. I love your Dog pic.....I have two cats myself

Madgamer

Post #: 24
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/7/2009 3:20:31 AM   
madgamer2

And all those guys in there 3 piece suits in them ivory towers can't seem to get the connection between a customer buying a pirate version vs. there copy protected "real" version. I do not buy pirated games and if faced with copy protected schemes I go without.
I have some friends who like that NWN game including me but because of that problem you state do not buy such addon's. I just play a lot of oblivion with different MOD's to keep it interesting. I find your posts to be intelligent and interesting...but are you really bald?

Madgamer

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 25
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/7/2009 3:24:32 AM   
madgamer2

Yeah the key word is "reinstall" That is why as I explain above I bought a hard copy of ROTK XI through a friend in the UK because of "The reinstall hassle Blues" (maybe I should write a song about it)/ I am also not that impressed with there games.

Madgamer

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 26
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/7/2009 3:31:37 AM   
madgamer2

Its Romance of the three Kingdoms eleven ..... It is IMHO the best sense the first one way back when. BEWARE if you live in the USA that the two download sites are both not that good. I did get refunds from them both for different reasons. If you live in the UK or Europe or the east (Japan,etc) you can buy the Hard copy with case and manual but not in the USA.
If you want a bit of background send me a PM and I will tell you but it is a great game and covers the waring period in China and is based on the Novel of the same name. A very different but interesting game.

Madgamer

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 27
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/7/2009 3:14:55 PM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

GamersGate doesn't require online activations either. But they don't let you make installation disks from downloaded files.

Some of the games Gamer's Gate sell do have online activation but that is the game developer's choice and not Gamer's Gate. I bought Men of War and it has online activation, so did 1701 AD. And you can make an installation disk by simply telling the Gamer's gate installer to keep the files after first install. Backup the files in their folder and the installer to disk and it will install from the local files you saved so no need to download them again next time you need to reinstall.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 28
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/7/2009 3:46:00 PM   
Lützow

@ Milkweg

But you cannot burn everything on DVD and install from it, right? At least this didn't work by last year.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 29
RE: Digital Download?...maybe - 6/8/2009 3:21:26 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

Hi Yogi!
I got a bit extra from KKG thanks to you. I am like you and I do buy DD games but from Matrix only. Us old guys don't mind waiting for the mailed version. Now if I could just get something for all the old CD games I have managed to accumulate over the years. I love your Dog pic.....I have two cats myself

Madgamer

Glad that KKG contacted you, thanks again for letting me know about them, just wish I had known earlier before most of my collection was already gone.

Yes the Dog "my best friend" Elton is no longer with us, but I don't have the heart to stop using his picture.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Digital Download?...maybe Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI