Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Very disappointed about release date

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Very disappointed about release date Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 1:51:56 AM   
bo

I am not a hindsighter but I felt all along that this game is so big and so difficult to bring to the computer that maybe one person cannot bring it to fruitation to everyones liking, I will be thrilled if Steve can bring this together by the end of September but now I have great doubts. I know this wont sit well with everyone and I dont want to be one of those trolls but I am hoping the game will be out by Christmas and it will be a decent game we can all enjoy, this is in no way derogatory towards Steve in any way, I am not a programer and do not understand anything about programing but I think I have common sense and just maybe I am letting my deep disappointment show in this post and for that I appoligize to all of the posters who have helped me in the past including Steve. With the AI and all the optional rules I think its just too big of a game. SORRY!

Willy

< Message edited by bo -- 6/2/2009 1:52:50 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 2:21:35 AM   
Missouri Rebel

No need to be sorry for being disappointed. With expectations come disappointment. Yet I am sure no one wants to see MWiF released more than Mr. O'Keets. Lets just continue to wait patiently and lend our support since he is indeed the sole programmer.

Plus, it's Summer for Pete's sake. Let us go for a hike, fish some streams, swim across the river, gig some frogs, skin some cats.....etc.

Bout time it starts to get the first chill we will be warming our toes to the fire enjoying a long awaited friend.

All things in time.

mo reb

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 2
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 2:43:07 AM   
Grapeshot Bob

WW2 took 5 years. Steve is trying to replicate it in less time.

Be patient.

Mark

(in reply to Missouri Rebel)
Post #: 3
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 4:59:31 AM   
sapper_astro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

I am not a hindsighter but I felt all along that this game is so big and so difficult to bring to the computer that maybe one person cannot bring it to fruitation to everyones liking, I will be thrilled if Steve can bring this together by the end of September but now I have great doubts. I know this wont sit well with everyone and I dont want to be one of those trolls but I am hoping the game will be out by Christmas and it will be a decent game we can all enjoy, this is in no way derogatory towards Steve in any way, I am not a programer and do not understand anything about programing but I think I have common sense and just maybe I am letting my deep disappointment show in this post and for that I appoligize to all of the posters who have helped me in the past including Steve. With the AI and all the optional rules I think its just too big of a game. SORRY!

Willy

No game is too big to make, depending on whether you are given enough time. Give him some time, encourage the best, and be patient. I keep seeing people freaking out in this forum because they cannot play it! I bet, if the game was half done like that World War 1 game by Ageod, the screams, and the disappointment, would never stop.

The AI needs to be in, otherwise they will not make the sales. Plain and simple. And with enough time and tinkering, testing, the AI will be more than good enough. It might not be if this game gets rushed. Patience, this isn't some average game we are waiting for you know? It is WiF...think on it for a while.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 4
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 5:47:20 AM   
BallyJ

I am also very disapionted. However great gains have been made.
I will be happy if the game is released in time for chrismas.
Then my wife can buy it for me as a christmas present.
In fact that might be a better time to aim for, say december 1st 2009.
That wiuld provide some margin for error on the time scale shown in "when".
Good luck to all involved, particularly Steve.
Don't give up the ship just yet.
Regards John

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 5
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 6:58:47 AM   
Snydly

For me I think this will be better ... by the time the game is released the Rainy season will begin. 

Keep up the good work ... I will have time to refresh the rules and play the odd bit of the game to get the feel back after a 12 year hiatus.

(in reply to BallyJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 12:42:37 PM   
Caquineur

quote:

ORIGINAL: BallyJ
...my wife can buy it for me as a christmas present.

Or you could buy it for your wife as a christmas present.

quote:

...In fact that might be a better time to aim for, say december 1st 2009.

I guess it shouldn't be a bad thing, sales-wise, to release the game then. It seems to be in line with the program being finished at the end of September, and counting "a few weeks to package the game for distribution"

(in reply to BallyJ)
Post #: 7
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 2:27:57 PM   
Mike Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caquineur

quote:

...my wife can buy it for me as a christmas present.

Or you could buy it for your wife as a christmas present.

You sir are BOLD!

"Here you are baby... Oh its a strategic level WWII Computer game... Oh stop making that face.. its got a counter named 'Tirpitz'... why are you getting the luggage from the attic?"

(in reply to Caquineur)
Post #: 8
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 4:20:14 PM   
composer99

If I weren't playing tabletop WiF I'd be disappointed in the further delay. However, since I am thoroughly enjoying my tabletop game I'm in no hurry. I feel a bit sorry for everyone who for whatever reason are expecting MWiF to fill their main WiF-playing function.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 9
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 5:33:07 PM   
Anendrue

As we all have been saying it will be done when it is done. That is fine with me, better a good game than a bad one.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 10
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 6:16:11 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper_astro

quote:

Willy

No game is too big to make, depending on whether you are given enough time. Give him some time, encourage the best, and be patient. I keep seeing people freaking out in this forum because they cannot play it! I bet, if the game was half done like that World War 1 game by Ageod, the screams, and the disappointment, would never stop.

The AI needs to be in, otherwise they will not make the sales. Plain and simple. And with enough time and tinkering, testing, the AI will be more than good enough. It might not be if this game gets rushed. Patience, this isn't some average game we are waiting for you know? It is WiF...think on it for a while.

I agree with you 100% Sapper but my conclusion is that this enormous endeavour to make this game come to life is possibly too much for one programmer, back in 2004 I read where Matrix signed this contract to put this game into computer format, I then lost sight of it until about 8 months ago when I got very excited about the possibility of this happening soon. I believe in my heart and soul that Matrix should have assigned a number of people to help Steve do this game with Steve as the head programer, I know it is a little late for me to say this now but I cant help how I feel. I should not have posted my feelings on this forum, and stating my feelings is surley not going to help things along.
If any mistake was made it was Steve announcing a firm date maybe do to duress in reading the feelings of people on the forum. I agree, do not put this game out to it is ready period! And do not give any date out until it is done! There has never been a better forum moderator than Steve in all of computing war games thru the years and I do hope he takes my opinions to be just what they are, just opinions. [forgive me I have never been Mr. positive]

Willy

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 11
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 9:09:11 PM   
Edfactor

As i have said, it will be released when it is released. Just release it when its ready.

As far as the size of the job, i do kind of agree that its a huge job and more then one person would have made this alot easier. I think a 3 person team would have been the way to go; Steve and an assistant to help with some of the code and a 3rd person to work on the AI (a good AI is such a huge task in and of itself)

Anyway good luck Steve, I'm sure everyone appreciates the hard work your putting in.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 12
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 9:23:54 PM   
Sarge

Has there been some statement that we’re looking more like the close of 2009 for the release now?

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 13
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/2/2009 10:27:12 PM   
peskpesk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

June 1, 2009 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of May

Project Management
Too many bugs and too many other tasks remain to meet the planned July release date of MWIF product 1. I expect to be finished by the end of September, but Matrix Games needs a few weeks after I submit the finalized code to package the game for distribution. Also, publication has to be scheduled into all their other projects. At the end of this post is a summary of the tasks that remain for me to do.

See the When thread.

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 14
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/3/2009 2:17:00 AM   
sapper_astro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper_astro

quote:

Willy

I agree with you 100% Sapper but my conclusion is that this enormous endeavour to make this game come to life is possibly too much for one programmer, back in 2004 I read where Matrix signed this contract to put this game into computer format, I then lost sight of it until about 8 months ago when I got very excited about the possibility of this happening soon. I believe in my heart and soul that Matrix should have assigned a number of people to help Steve do this game with Steve as the head programer, I know it is a little late for me to say this now but I cant help how I feel. I should not have posted my feelings on this forum, and stating my feelings is surley not going to help things along.
If any mistake was made it was Steve announcing a firm date maybe do to duress in reading the feelings of people on the forum. I agree, do not put this game out to it is ready period! And do not give any date out until it is done! There has never been a better forum moderator than Steve in all of computing war games thru the years and I do hope he takes my opinions to be just what they are, just opinions. [forgive me I have never been Mr. positive]

Willy

I can see where you are coming from, but as you say, it is a big job. Luckily we have a bloke here doing the work (Steve) who has a damn good attitude to his work. I just want him to finish his baby when he is fully satisfied, because by reading his work, you can tell that this guy is crafting a labour of love.

Of course I cannot wait until he is finished either...

But I can wait to get a finished game. I know the alternative. Oh how I know the alternative. And I am sick of enduring that alternative where a potentially brilliant game has been ruined by not having nearly enough time in the oven.

So personally I am discounting even the latest prospective release date. If it needs more time, so be it. Much better than the much tasted alternative we get most of the time.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 15
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/3/2009 3:03:17 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

quote:

Accomplishments of May

Project Management
Too many bugs and too many other tasks remain to meet the planned July release date of MWIF product 1. I expect to be finished by the end of September, but Matrix Games needs a few weeks after I submit the finalized code to package the game for distribution. Also, publication has to be scheduled into all their other projects. At the end of this post is a summary of the tasks that remain for me to do.

See the When thread.

Thanks, truly not a big deal being summer and all I wouldn’t have time embark on the WIF endeavor anyhow .

Would you recommend re-reading/brushing up on the board rules being its been a couple of years since I even looked at my copy ?

Sorry for the trivial questions I am not regular reader of the forum WITP has consumed most of my attention and allotted hobby time , that is till the release of WIF.

Again thanks .......

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 16
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/3/2009 4:25:09 PM   
obermeister

I will say I'm glad to see the release date moved for one reason.  Seeing how much was left to do in the amount of time he had, I was starting to think that Mr. O'Keats was some kind of android super-programmer from the future.  Seeing that he had to push back the release date make me feel less inferior as a programmer.  

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 17
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/3/2009 5:18:13 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

quote:

Accomplishments of May

Project Management

See the When thread.

Thanks, truly not a big deal being summer and all I wouldn’t have time embark on the WIF endeavor anyhow .

Would you recommend re-reading/brushing up on the board rules being its been a couple of years since I even looked at my copy ?

Sorry for the trivial questions I am not regular reader of the forum WITP has consumed most of my attention and allotted hobby time , that is till the release of WIF.

Again thanks .......

I always recommend the tutorial threads. Reading through them should serve as a good way to refamiliarize yourself with WIF. At the top of the forum is a thread that will take you to each of those.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 18
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/4/2009 3:09:32 PM   
Grymme

Had the feeling this would come sooner or later. Personally i do not think the game will be released in september either though. My guess (because thats what it is) is that the game will be released, but the release date will be somewhere around next summer.

I do not say this to critizize the developer. But it feels like a more like realistic expectation. AI testing needs at least a couple of months. And thats after the AI is generally functional. It seems like that tast to begin with is a 100hs away,

Feel free tom flame on me if you like.

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 19
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/4/2009 4:02:40 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grymme

Had the feeling this would come sooner or later. Personally i do not think the game will be released in september either though. My guess (because thats what it is) is that the game will be released, but the release date will be somewhere around next summer.

I do not say this to critizize the developer. But it feels like a more like realistic expectation. AI testing needs at least a couple of months. And thats after the AI is generally functional. It seems like that tast to begin with is a 100hs away,

Feel free tom flame on me if you like.

2010 seems probable, it will be released when it's released, when ready, no problem. I guess I will continue playing WoW for a while and I am beginning a PBEM campaign 1 vs 1 on Vassal in the meantime.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 20
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/5/2009 9:36:54 AM   
Neilster

I wrote this yonks ago...

WW2 raged for (depending on when you start and stop counting) 6 years and 1 day (1st Sep 1939 to 2nd Sep 1945).

Matrix announced that it was taking-over/developing the computer version of World in Flames on Oct 21 2003. So on Oct 22 2009, we could have actually fought WW2 in the time it has taken to develop MWiF

That's right folks. The Nazi subjugation of Europe by Blitzkrieg, the long Battle of the Atlantic, the Allied bomber offensives, Japan's spectacular advance, the vast struggle on the Eastern Front, D-Day and the Allied drive into the heart of the Third Reich, the island hopping campaign in the Pacific, the development of nuclear weapons and the titanic production effort of all sides: they fit into this time period.

So a slight slippage in the release date could mean it actually happens on the utterly appropriate date of Oct 22 2009! Unless it slips a bit more, in which case "We'll all be home for Christmas..." etc etc

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 21
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/5/2009 11:44:45 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

WW2 raged for (depending on when you start and stop counting) 6 years and 1 day (1st Sep 1939 to 2nd Sep 1945).

Matrix announced that it was taking-over/developing the computer version of World in Flames on Oct 21 2003. So on Oct 22 2009, we could have actually fought WW2 in the time it has taken to develop MWiF

That's right folks. The Nazi subjugation of Europe by Blitzkrieg, the long Battle of the Atlantic, the Allied bomber offensives, Japan's spectacular advance, the vast struggle on the Eastern Front, D-Day and the Allied drive into the heart of the Third Reich, the island hopping campaign in the Pacific, the development of nuclear weapons and the titanic production effort of all sides: they fit into this time period.

So a slight slippage in the release date could mean it actually happens on the utterly appropriate date of Oct 22 2009! Unless it slips a bit more, in which case "We'll all be home for Christmas..." etc etc

Cheers, Neilster

Yes, but for the developpement of MWiF, the phoney war lasted for much longer, from 21 october 2003 to June or July 2005 when Steve really launched the Blitzkrieg on MWiF.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 22
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/6/2009 1:26:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Yes, but for the developpement of MWiF, the phoney war lasted for much longer, from 21 october 2003 to June or July 2005 when Steve really launched the Blitzkrieg on MWiF.

Hmmm, that would explain the fire bombing I am experiencing these days.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 23
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/6/2009 6:48:47 AM   
Neilster

Nice one Patrice

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 24
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/6/2009 5:13:22 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Gee Steve I did not know you were working on fire bombing of Tokyo by B29's you dont miss a trick, very clever of you, how do you implement that feature

Willy

Post #: 25
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/6/2009 7:52:26 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Gee Steve I did not know you were working on fire bombing of Tokyo by B29's you dont miss a trick, very clever of you, how do you implement that feature

Willy

No, I am on the receiving end. Incoming!

Steve

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 26
RE: Very disappointed about release date - 6/7/2009 6:40:09 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Willy

No, I am on the receiving end. Incoming!

Oh I see Steve, sorry thought you meant firebombing of Japan When do you think you will announce the next completion date and please announce it the day before you release it [:D]

Willy

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Very disappointed about release date Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI