Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HPS modern champaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HPS modern champaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 8:22:17 PM   
archita

Hi!!!

Can i ask if it's possible to have Fulda Gap and NGP and other titles ( Korea 85... ) here?

I wish digital download ( most easy and soft )

thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 8:24:17 PM   
Terminus

Yes, I'm sure HPS will be happy to sell some of their competitor's titles for them...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to archita)
Post #: 2
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 8:27:55 PM   
archita

Fulda gap + NGP+ korea 85 together is a great title !!!

i hope that Matrix will sell that stuff...it's strange that we have same john tiller on civil war and not other °°

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 8:30:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

You're always welcome to suggest that to HPS, we have cordial relations with them and we also own and play most of their titles, but I think they'd rather do their thing and let us do ours.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to archita)
Post #: 4
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 9:33:35 PM   
andym

I tried buying the modern era games from their UK vendors several times and got bugger all back!Id love them to be available via Matrix!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 9:58:58 PM   
Fallschirmjager

They are semi-fun games, but like their Panzer Campaigns every game is a cookie cutter design that is at least 10 years old or more.

On another note....
Don't buy them from HPS. They charge full price for games no matter how old they are. You can get them from other vendors for over 50% off depending on the game.
I reccomend http://www.navalwarfare.net/ if you absolutely must have a HPS games.
I think the owner of the site buys the games in bulk and charges fair prices for them. The older the HPS game the cheaper the price (a earth shattering concept I know!)
He can also find just about any game you want if you e-mail him a special order. Hell, one time I ordered six war games from him and special requested a game I was having trouble finding and he not only found it, but he threw it in for free!

Anyways, I am going to stop here before I get another nasty PM from a mod for bad mouthing HPS.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 6
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 10:03:32 PM   
archita

i'm surprised that HPS not have a digital deliver service

there are official and legal way to have digital deliver of '85 fulda games?

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 7
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 10:06:09 PM   
E

You can get them from NWS for a few bucks off of retail.  Or if you have a lot of patience & do a lot of searching, you can occasionally get them off of e-bay at great prices sometimes (I once picked up several Squad Battles titles & a couple Panzer Campaigns titles that were still sealed for $12 each... delivered). 

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 8
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 10:23:47 PM   
killroyishere

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

They are semi-fun games, but like their Panzer Campaigns every game is a cookie cutter design that is at least 10 years old or more.

On another note....
Don't buy them from HPS. They charge full price for games no matter how old they are. You can get them from other vendors for over 50% off depending on the game.
I reccomend http://www.navalwarfare.net/ if you absolutely must have a HPS games.
I think the owner of the site buys the games in bulk and charges fair prices for them. The older the HPS game the cheaper the price (a earth shattering concept I know!)
He can also find just about any game you want if you e-mail him a special order. Hell, one time I ordered six war games from him and special requested a game I was having trouble finding and he not only found it, but he threw it in for free!

Anyways, I am going to stop here before I get another nasty PM from a mod for bad mouthing HPS.

Actually HPS and Matrixgames keep pretty fair prices on older software games. Go try to buy a copy of Avalon Hills Titan for it's initial selling price these days! Go try to buy some of the older monster games by Avalon Hill or SPI for their initial prices. You cry about the prices of HPS being the same when they were new that's a bargain compared to older games in most other catagories. Oh yeah go try to buy a copy of Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire for it's initial selling price. I've seen it sell for $100 or more on ebay. So, while yes you can get HPS and Matrixgames cheaper at NWSonline the official site prices are actually still fair compared to how time makes older wargamers more expensive and even a lot of pc software.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 9
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 10:28:52 PM   
nelmsm1

Remember that HPS patches all the older titles to the newest release. So even though Smolensk is getting a little long in the tooth it will be patched up to match the newest release.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 10
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/1/2009 11:27:15 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

On another note....

Actually HPS and Matrixgames keep pretty fair prices on older software games. Go try to buy a copy of Avalon Hills Titan for it's initial selling price these days! Go try to buy some of the older monster games by Avalon Hill or SPI for their initial prices. You cry about the prices of HPS being the same when they were new that's a bargain compared to older games in most other catagories. Oh yeah go try to buy a copy of Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire for it's initial selling price. I've seen it sell for $100 or more on ebay. So, while yes you can get HPS and Matrixgames cheaper at NWSonline the official site prices are actually still fair compared to how time makes older wargamers more expensive and even a lot of pc software.

Matrix discounts it's older games. HPS does not.
HPS charges $50 for EVERY game is carries. Some of the older Panzer Campaign games are more than 10 years old.

Uncommon Valor is a great example of a Matrix title that is a older game that im sure Matrix still sells copies off. They could have kept it at full price but since the game is well over 5 years old they have discounted it.

And how are older HPS games a bargain
Games like most other items depreciate in value as they get older. As I said earlier, every game on their website is $50 USD no matter its age.

It would be somewhat understanble if the games were radically different. Instead they have been pushing the same game engine across dozens of titles for over a decade now.
Sure their have been some changes from release to release, but the very first Panzer campaign title looks 90% the same as the last one released. It is cookie cutter game design and I am not a fan of it.

Your arguments reguarding board games do not really have much bearing on this topic since board games are a different beast altogther.
And your argument on Alien Crossfire (great game) also has no bearing.
That game is expensive because it is out of print. And being out of print makes it rare.

I could sell my copy of the SNES title Chrono Trigger with box and manual for around $150 USD. Factory sealed copies of the game go for $250 USD. The SNES version is out of print and rare.

HPS games are still in production.
I really do not want to be drawn into this argument though. As I said before I have been warned about this topic before. I think I have made my case already that I am not a fan of HPS buisness practices. So I am done with this topic.

One final thing I will say is that by using NWS you can save a lot more than a 'few' bucks. You can save $20 right now on almost any HPS title. %40 savings is pretty substantial.

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 6/2/2009 2:05:14 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/2/2009 12:20:56 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

Go try to buy a copy of Avalon Hills Titan for it's initial selling price these days!

Examples from one industry do not necessarily relate to another.

Post #: 12
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/2/2009 2:04:53 AM   
V22 Osprey

Well, HPS CAN sell their older games for full price.Think about it, the improvements later down the road get patched into the older games.So smolensk may be over 10 years old, put it has the improvements of the latest PzC title Budapest '45.I like this approach, which make sures older games in the series dont get obsolete(Which in turn means they have every right to charge full price).Unlike other companies that make you buy a reshashes of older games in the series.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 13
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/2/2009 5:19:17 AM   
Hertston

I do wish HPS would start selling digitally; I'd have bought an awful lot more of their stuff over the years if they had. They could do a a few bundles that way, too... I accept the comments made about updates and such, but how many people are really buying those earlier titles these days at $50 a throw? A PzC 'East Front' bundle, say, would attract many more buyers and new customers, who may well then go on and buy the new releases. Let's face it, HPS are never going to sell games on the basis of screenshots.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 14
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/2/2009 12:12:07 PM   
nelmsm1

Yeah, it's amazing how they keep operating at what must be losing proposition.  

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 15
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/2/2009 12:25:39 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I do wish HPS would start selling digitally; I'd have bought an awful lot more of their stuff over the years if they had.

Absolutely here too

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 16
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/2/2009 8:30:37 PM   
archita

HPS games will do digital deliver a day?

or my dream is see on matrix a complete box with Fulda Gap,NGP,Korea and Danube...

or see new version with new graphic,new units,new playing style,new maps and more powerful editor

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/2/2009 10:31:31 PM   
Arctic Blast

How are the Modern Campaigns games? I've always been a bit curious about those.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to archita)
Post #: 18
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/2/2009 10:50:25 PM   
archita

i think enough interesting

there arent many titles on classic IIIWW...

i like very much the picture of units and scenarios on Central Europe in HPS titles 

there are projects on classic third world war ?

i love battles between NATO and Warsaw Pact :)

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 19
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 12:01:14 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: nelmsm
Yeah, it's amazing how they keep operating at what must be losing proposition.  

The point being made is simply that they could increase sales and profits by offering a digital purchase option together the occasional 'deal' and 'bundle' like you see from Matrix. If you don't think that is the case, or you know why HPS don't think it is, then please enlighten us as to why.

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 20
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 1:20:34 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

An old fashioned war game sells their games the old fashioned way.  Maybe you should email your bundled electronic download idea to them.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 21
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 2:30:18 PM   
JudgeDredd

Personally I think it's crazy not to save a few pounds for your customers and go digital download. But hey ho...I'm only the customer...what do I know (I do know I do not own, nor am I likely to own, any HPS titles, as much as I would like to!)

I forgot I did lay out for their air war game in the Middle East

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 22
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 2:51:06 PM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Personally I think it's crazy not to save a few pounds for your customers and go digital download. But hey ho...I'm only the customer...what do I know (I do know I do not own, nor am I likely to own, any HPS titles, as much as I would like to!)

I forgot I did lay out for their air war game in the Middle East

Hey JD what do u think of that game, worth the purchase price? NWS has it on special for $US29 I think
Ron

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 3:37:58 PM   
archita

HPS is very popular for IIWW titles but IIWW is too played ( i'm boring )

classic IIIWW is rich of interesting scenarios from '50 to '90 years

sure, there is TOAW and MBT for that but i dream games most funny to look and play ( and most strategic view )

it's mpossible to view other IIIWW games in Matrix?

( i think that it is absurd not sell titles on digital downloading  )

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 24
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 4:16:37 PM   
JudgeDredd

I want to like it, and there are hours of fun...but a few things annoyed me. I haven't played in a while, so can't recall a great deal.

One glaring annoyance I had was in the mission I remember playing, I had to do a strike on an installation. When I eventually located what I was looking for and bombed it, I sent another flight (maybe recon, maybe another strike) but the installation disappeared....like the pilots didn't know the map reference anymore. So the flight I was sending down had to "find" the installation again!

It really wasn't a bad game, but it had some shortcomings. It's still on my hard drive, but when I go into my desktop folder with all the links for my strategy games, I bypass it. It isn't that I don't want to play it or necessarily think it was a bad game...just that I have other "better" games to be playing.

I wouldn't necessarily say people should avoid it...I expect there are quite a few hours to be had...I just never played it enough to recommend it really.

I will play it some over the weekend and let you know.

(in reply to archita)
Post #: 25
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 4:19:11 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: archita

Modern Wars: Volume I is a platoon level game based on John Tiller's Campaign Series. The first Volume will deal with the various Middle East conflicts and Vietnam. Volume II will deal with NATO vs Warsaw Pact and Korea.

Volume I should be released sometime this year.

Jason Petho

(in reply to archita)
Post #: 26
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 6:15:50 PM   
JudgeDredd

lol...I just went to play War Over the Middle East and it suddenly hit me why I skip it...it's not that it's a bad game, but you need the disk in and with so many other games not requiring the disk, I simply fire another one up!

Go figure...a disk being needed stops me playing a game...and they wonder why...nevermind

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 27
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 6:18:14 PM   
JudgeDredd

lmao...worse still, I've put the CD in and it asks me to install. When I decline and click on my shortcut, it asks me to insert the disk into my H drive...not my I drive as it is currently in...but in H!!! WTF kind of backward crap is that?

So there you have it, BASB...the reason why it never gets fired up...I must've forgotten I'd performed the "WOME" dance!

I seem to remember another issue that I couldn't get my aircraft to mid-air refuel. I was adamant I was doing everything right (not really alot to do wrong) but they just wouldn't hook up...but I'm pretty sure I didn't hear of anyone else having that issue...although I didn't really actively look

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 6/3/2009 6:20:37 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 28
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 6:42:55 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: archita

Do you have Flashpoint Germany? An excellent WW3 game from Matrix.

(in reply to archita)
Post #: 29
RE: HPS modern champaign - 6/3/2009 6:46:39 PM   
andym

I tried Flashpoint Germany but just didnt take to it for some reason.Ill wait for JTCS modern wars.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HPS modern champaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI