Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AE and ongoing patches

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AE and ongoing patches Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AE and ongoing patches - 5/27/2009 2:44:49 PM   
Cavalry Corp

OK like you all I am looking forward to AE...

BUT I would like to ask if patches will be upgradable for games in progree IE no restart for effect.

I had two PBEM games of 42-45 games going one got to Oct 43 before the allied player gave up for personal reasons the other in MARCH 43 and still going despite the fact the allied player has lost all his original CV .

So I would like to ask if patches will upgrade games in progress, I think my WITP games had been without some earlier fixes or am I wrong ??

regards
Cav
Post #: 1
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/27/2009 4:40:35 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

OK like you all I am looking forward to AE...

BUT I would like to ask if patches will be upgradable for games in progree IE no restart for effect.

I had two PBEM games of 42-45 games going one got to Oct 43 before the allied player gave up for personal reasons the other in MARCH 43 and still going despite the fact the allied player has lost all his original CV .

So I would like to ask if patches will upgrade games in progress, I think my WITP games had been without some earlier fixes or am I wrong ??

regards
Cav

WITP games will not port over to AE. All AE games will have to be started fresh from AE.

As to WITP patches for WITP - in the past we have done patches in such a way as to permit ongoing games to continue. The next WITP, which internally is called 1.8.0.7 at this point - might deviate from that pattern to allow some more extensive corrections - so it is possible that the next WITP patch would only work for new games - alternatively a less intrusive set of changes might allow existing games to continue though some new features and fixes might only apply to newly started games. We have not finalized the scope of the next WITP patch - so we aren't sure exactly how it will pan out yet.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 2
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/27/2009 4:46:23 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Thanks for the quick reply

OK thanks for that , I suppose we all understood that for WITP but AE will require more dedication and my question was really aimed toward that game.

If there was likely to be any important patch soon after relese of AE that would require a new game start - I should consider that .I hope that will not be the case...

Cav

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/27/2009 4:57:10 PM   
jwilkerson

We have been doing weekly builds for the AE testing for over a year now - during that time there have only been 2 or 3 times we've done a build that REQUIRED new game start - so based on that track record I seriously doubt we would even consider doing a build that would REQUIRE a restart.

The one we just did was at our choice - not to fix a bug but to increase the number of AI scripts allowed. For AE we went from about 150 up to 1000 and we thought that might be enough - but we've used them all up - so we just increased it again and that required a save file change which required new game start.

But note that while it is very unlikely that we would do a patch that would REQUIRE a restart - it is possible that a patch might make changes that would only apply to new games - but this would not REQUIRE a restart.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 4
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/27/2009 5:42:48 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Again thanks for the reply

Actually I meant say an OOB or weapon issue that applied only to a new game and could not be applied to a game in progress. The thought of re start patch would be rather horrible . I suppose most of the oob issues etc are already fully ironed out in the existing game in any event so not much to fear there.

Thanks for the explanation

cav

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/27/2009 6:44:05 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

We have been doing weekly builds for the AE testing for over a year now - during that time there have only been 2 or 3 times we've done a build that REQUIRED new game start - so based on that track record I seriously doubt we would even consider doing a build that would REQUIRE a restart.

The one we just did was at our choice - not to fix a bug but to increase the number of AI scripts allowed. For AE we went from about 150 up to 1000 and we thought that might be enough - but we've used them all up - so we just increased it again and that required a save file change which required new game start.

But note that while it is very unlikely that we would do a patch that would REQUIRE a restart - it is possible that a patch might make changes that would only apply to new games - but this would not REQUIRE a restart.

Those numbers make me tremble...and sweat a lot............

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/27/2009 8:32:22 PM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Really this is good news. I can't tell you how many times I had to restart in the early days of WITP due to the latest patch adding something to the game we couldnt live without.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 7
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/27/2009 11:58:42 PM   
TalonCG2

Perhaps I should start a new thread to ask this, but...
Reading this thread made me think of something.

I assume the install of AE will be similar to the install of many other game program addons almost like a super patch. Once AE is installed over Witp, will you still be able to play both versions? Or does it completely overwrite Witp converting it to AE?
If I'd like to continue my current game in Witp to it's completion for instance, will I need to have two separate installs? One vanilla Witp I have now and on my other hard drive I install AE over a fresh new install of Witp?

< Message edited by TalonCG2 -- 5/27/2009 11:59:00 PM >

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 8
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/28/2009 12:15:42 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: TalonCG2

Perhaps I should start a new thread to ask this, but...
Reading this thread made me think of something.

I assume the install of AE will be similar to the install of many other game program addons almost like a super patch. Once AE is installed over Witp, will you still be able to play both versions? Or does it completely overwrite Witp converting it to AE?
If I'd like to continue my current game in Witp to it's completion for instance, will I need to have two separate installs? One vanilla Witp I have now and on my other hard drive I install AE over a fresh new install of Witp?

It does not overwrite WitP.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to TalonCG2)
Post #: 9
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/28/2009 1:54:46 AM   
Erik Rutins

AE is not a patch or upgrade to WITP. It's a separate installation. You will need to have WITP installed on the same system to run AE, but you will still be able to play both separately without a problem.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 10
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/28/2009 8:21:14 PM   
pad152

I wonder how this will effect mods, custom campaigns/scenarios?

Example: Changing the ship class of the USN Alaska from a CA to BC, would this get changed back if the database get refreshed with a patch?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/28/2009 9:00:23 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Example: Changing the ship class of the USN Alaska from a CA to BC, would this get changed back if the database get refreshed with a patch?

WitP and AE operate the same way ...when you open/start a new game, the data in the scenario file is "baked" into your save file. The save file then has all of the data to run the game, and the game is run from the data in the save file.

If the data in a scenario file is updated...it does not affect ongoing games because ongoing games are using the data in the save file. The only way to make use of the "new" data is to start a new game.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 12
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/29/2009 12:18:21 AM   
pad152

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

WitP and AE operate the same way ...when you open/start a new game, the data in the scenario file is "baked" into your save file. The save file then has all of the data to run the game, and the game is run from the data in the save file.

If the data in a scenario file is updated...it does not affect ongoing games because ongoing games are using the data in the save file. The only way to make use of the "new" data is to start a new game.

So any database changes/fixes will still require a restart of a scenario/campaign just like WITP!

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 13
RE: AE and ongoing patches - 5/29/2009 1:23:56 AM   
Dukemourn

Will any AI script improvements in a patch require a restart?

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AE and ongoing patches Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI