Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TF/Ships and HQ Commands?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> TF/Ships and HQ Commands? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/21/2009 7:39:53 PM   
pad152

Did HQ commands for TF's/ships get implemented in AE?

If so how does it work?

Post #: 1
RE: TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/21/2009 8:37:44 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Did HQ commands for TF's/ships get implemented in AE?

TFs always had HQs. Ships were added, but only as an organizational convenience. You can assign ships to a Command or Naval HQ without Political Point cost and use an option on the show shps screen to show all the ships assigned to a given HQ, and where they are.

quote:

If so how does it work?

Quite well.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 2
RE: TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/22/2009 4:09:07 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

. . . and use an option on the show shps screen to show all the ships assigned to a given HQ, and where they are.

I will try to ask this with just words and not ask for a screenshot: so it will work and look similar to how the airplane management screens look? In other words, similar to how we can only look at fighter squadrons on the screens that show all aircraft, aircraft at a base or attached to a HQ, I will be able to only look at say 3rd or 7th Fleet ships from the screens that shows all ships?

Also, I dont think this is possible but I will ask anyway: is it possible to know what HQ a ship belongs too in the TF ship selection screen? For instance, say I have 1000 ships at Pearl (I know we cant do that anymore, but you get the idea) and want to create a TF with only ships from the 3rd Fleet. Is there anyway to do this without just knowing the ships beforehand? Such as a sortable column similar to what we can do with ship type or name? I have not seen this in any of the screens, so again, I dont think it possible.

If so, I vote to add to the list of 'would be cool but there isnt time to put it in at this point and you dont understand how long it would take to make something like that work in a AE'

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 3
RE: TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/22/2009 4:47:41 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

I will try to ask this with just words and not ask for a screenshot: so it will work and look similar to how the airplane management screens look? In other words, similar to how we can only look at fighter squadrons on the screens that show all aircraft, aircraft at a base or attached to a HQ, I will be able to only look at say 3rd or 7th Fleet ships from the screens that shows all ships?

Yes

quote:

Also, I dont think this is possible but I will ask anyway: is it possible to know what HQ a ship belongs too in the TF ship selection screen? For instance, say I have 1000 ships at Pearl (I know we cant do that anymore, but you get the idea) and want to create a TF with only ships from the 3rd Fleet. Is there anyway to do this without just knowing the ships beforehand? Such as a sortable column similar to what we can do with ship type or name? I have not seen this in any of the screens, so again, I dont think it possible.

If so, I vote to add to the list of 'would be cool but there isnt time to put it in at this point and you dont understand how long it would take to make something like that work in a AE'

No, and it would be a significant problem to show in any meaningful way. As with most our screens, they are already chock full of data and adding more is a real issue - especially an HQ name which is 20 characters. Also, there is already a lot of slight-of-hand on that screen as the data displayed varies with the type of TF being created - capacities for transport TFs, guns for surface combat TFs, etc.

It might be possible to put in some kind of selection based on HQ but that would be clumsy with the current interface limitations.

All in all a good idea, but not easy to implement.

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 4
RE: TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/22/2009 5:23:01 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

All in all a good idea, but not easy to implement.

As always, thanks for the prompt replies Don.

Just having the ability to assign ships to a HQ is a *huge* step forward in being able to be much more organized in the game. That is actually on the features that I look forward to most about AE. So something like what I said above would just be additional bells and whistles. I figured it would be a PITA to get something like that in though.

Maybe having the ability to do so by another means would be nice down the road, but again, its not super critical. Just glad that assigning ships to a HQ made the final cut.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Chad

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 5
RE: TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/22/2009 5:46:09 PM   
pad152

Does the AI use HQ commands?
AE AI Scripting that keeps ships tied to a specific command or does it still try to send most ships back to Osaka?

Should be real interesting to see what the AI does with all of those little ships!

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 6
RE: TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/22/2009 7:12:00 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Does the AI use HQ commands?

No.

quote:

AE AI Scripting that keeps ships tied to a specific command or does it still try to send most ships back to Osaka?

Neither.

What the AI does is a secret...

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 7
RE: TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/23/2009 3:58:28 AM   
byron13

quote:

TFs always had HQs. Ships were added, but only as an organizational convenience. You can assign ships to a Command or Naval HQ without Political Point cost and use an option on the show shps screen to show all the ships assigned to a given HQ, and where they are.

Huh. Maybe I've missed this, but what affect does placing ships - other than carriers - under a particular HQ have? I'm not sure I really even see the point since the non-combatant ships were designed to go from here to there and back again, i.e., designed to be in some other HQ's area for much of the time.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 8
RE: TF/Ships and HQ Commands? - 5/23/2009 4:17:56 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

quote:

Huh. Maybe I've missed this, but what affect does placing ships - other than carriers - under a particular HQ have? I'm not sure I really even see the point since the non-combatant ships were designed to go from here to there and back again, i.e., designed to be in some other HQ's area for much of the time.

HQs for ships is an organization aid only. It allows you to assign ships to an HQ and then find out where they are. Just an aid for players who want to keep their ships organized. Don't read anything else into it.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> TF/Ships and HQ Commands? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI