Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Third Reich

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Third Reich Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Third Reich - 5/18/2009 6:20:59 PM   
andym

Does anyone have a copy of the Avalon Hill Third Reich rule book?If so would it be posible to have a PDF version sent to me?My bro has te game and hasnt played it for years as hes lost the rules.PM me for my e mail addy.In anticipation many thanks.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
Post #: 1
RE: Third Reich - 5/18/2009 10:29:53 PM   
leastonh1

Have you tried posting this on BoardGameGeek? I've supplied and been supplied with missing counters and rulebooks for a couple of old wargames from members there. They're usually really helpful for things like this. Worth a try 

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 2
RE: Third Reich - 5/18/2009 11:06:34 PM   
bairdlander

try HOI2 from Paradox games,its the same thing

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 3
RE: Third Reich - 5/18/2009 11:40:55 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym

Does anyone have a copy of the Avalon Hill Third Reich rule book?If so would it be posible to have a PDF version sent to me?My bro has te game and hasnt played it for years as hes lost the rules.PM me for my e mail addy.In anticipation many thanks.

First you need to know which edition he has, 1-2nd have a slightly different board/map , some of the counters and rule set then 3-4 ?

Check the bottom of the page for the 4th /final edition rules line 21.......
http://www.wargameacademy.org/3R4/

< Message edited by Sarge -- 5/18/2009 11:41:15 PM >

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 4
RE: Third Reich - 5/19/2009 12:06:12 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

try HOI2 from Paradox games, its the same thing

How is it the same thing?????

-

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 5
RE: Third Reich - 5/19/2009 4:30:25 PM   
andym

Great stuff guys,many thanks.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 6
RE: Third Reich - 5/19/2009 9:03:28 PM   
SeaMonkey

Forget A3R, and try pzgrnd's "Third Reich" creation in SC, beats Avalon Hill's hands down.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 7
RE: Third Reich - 5/19/2009 11:31:20 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

Forget A3R, and try pzgrnd's "Third Reich" creation in SC, beats Avalon Hill's hands down.

I reckon Strategic Command is a very poor game. No comparison to Third Reich.

-

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 8
RE: Third Reich - 5/20/2009 12:02:55 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

-

I agree with this.

Third Reich was a very fun game that alas was ported over to the PC in my humble opinion very poorly. I and many others spent many hours as beta testers on the project. Sadly, resources were expended and priorities changed by AH before all the bugs and quirks could be fixed.

If I ever win a 100 million dollar Powerball lottery I'll attempt to revive this classic. Short of that, I don't ever see another attempt being made on this game. I am not even sure what company or companies own the rights to 3R anymore.

Flipper

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 9
RE: Third Reich - 5/20/2009 12:36:33 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

....If I ever win a 100 million dollar Powerball lottery I'll attempt to revive this classic....

Here's hoping you win that lottery!

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 10
RE: Third Reich - 5/20/2009 2:14:07 AM   
SeaMonkey

Ok guys, dream on, but the fact of the matter is you have a viable alternative, sure its not the exact game and sure you can be pessimistic, or you can adjust, you can endeavor to persevere and solicit Hubert Cater, the very approachable designer of SC.

You can invest a little time or a lot and get the game closer to what you want, but it takes effort, not 100 million dollars, just some compromises and your feedback.

Nah...better to initiate an attitude of unacceptability and wait for someone to come along and create your dream.......but remember, its your dream, so don't count on it...like winning the lottery.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 11
RE: Third Reich - 5/20/2009 3:37:32 AM   
killroyishere

I really get a chuckle how most of these types of question threads turn into almost always 'my choice of games is the best choice of games' opinions. The OP didn't ask any suggestions for other games he asked if someone had a pdf file of the rule book. Then it quickly turned into that get my game
quote:

or
quote:

and then
quote:

I play instead epeen war. lol Why can't people just answer the question? But, on that note 'Making History:The Calm & the Storm' is really the better and closest game today of Avalon Hills Third Reich. lol

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 12
RE: Third Reich - 5/20/2009 3:52:34 PM   
Yogi the Great

Ok, from an old out of touch gamer who had the AH board game version of Third Reich
and also has the computer games SC and SC2.  You can certainly see the simularities and the computer games are fun.  But the old board game was much better.

Disclaimer:  While I now play almost exclusively computer war games I generally wish they could faithfully recreate the old classic board games for the computer. 

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 13
RE: Third Reich - 5/20/2009 4:01:01 PM   
sapper_astro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Ok, from an old out of touch gamer who had the AH board game version of Third Reich
and also has the computer games SC and SC2.  You can certainly see the simularities and the computer games are fun.  But the old board game was much better.

Disclaimer:  While I now play almost exclusively computer war games I generally wish they could faithfully recreate the old classic board games for the computer. 

Isn't that what we are all after? I would love a fully computerised ETO/PTO from TSR. The other game in this scope I played the most, World in Flames, is being ported, though at quite a slow pace. I only hope when it is released it is a masterpiece.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 14
RE: Third Reich - 5/22/2009 12:46:47 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

....If I ever win a 100 million dollar Powerball lottery I'll attempt to revive this classic....

Here's hoping you win that lottery!

lol

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 15
RE: Third Reich - 5/22/2009 12:49:09 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

I really get a chuckle how most of these types of question threads turn into almost always 'my choice of games is the best choice of games' opinions. The OP didn't ask any suggestions for other games he asked if someone had a pdf file of the rule book. Then it quickly turned into that get my game
quote:

or
quote:

and then
quote:

I play instead epeen war. lol Why can't people just answer the question? But, on that note 'Making History:The Calm & the Storm' is really the better and closest game today of Avalon Hills Third Reich. lol

huh? your kidding me. This from a game that is nothing but a what if game. Yeah the units are similar, after that, it has nothing at all to do with 3rd Reich

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 16
RE: Third Reich - 5/24/2009 12:38:40 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

Does anyone have a copy of the Avalon Hill Third Reich rule book?If so would it be posible to have a PDF version sent to me?

PDF copy of 4th Edition rules is attached.

quote:

I agree with this.
Third Reich was a very fun game that alas was ported over to the PC in my humble opinion very poorly. I and many others spent many hours as beta testers on the project. Sadly, resources were expended and priorities changed by AH before all the bugs and quirks could be fixed.
If I ever win a 100 million dollar Powerball lottery I'll attempt to revive this classic. Short of that, I don't ever see another attempt being made on this game. I am not even sure what company or companies own the rights to 3R anymore.

Well I disagree. I didn't win a lottery but I have spent the past several years on my own using the Strategic Command 2 series to create a faithful adaptation of the original board game. Not perfectly, but perhaps better in many respects. Yeah yeah the SC2 game has tiles instead of hexes and no unit stacking and such and such... But, with a little creativity and some persistence, I have managed to revive this classic with fairly decent Axis and Allied AI scripting -- and my mod is freely available. Unless and until someone else develops the "ideal" PC version of Third Reich, players suffering withdrawal may want to consider my alternative.

Attachment (2)

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 17
RE: Third Reich - 5/24/2009 3:26:48 AM   
SeaMonkey

I was wondering when Bill would show up with an enticing morsel from this simulation of A3R.  Bill, did you bring your crowbar?  These guys have minds like steel traps and you'll have to pry them out of theirs, they'd just rather sit there and wait for the trap to corrode than to try and think of a way out.

I guess it was nice for a conversation, their loss of gaming satisfaction, not ours, since we know about the gem that is SC.  Oh well on to my next PBEM turn......

later

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 18
RE: Third Reich - 5/24/2009 3:45:27 AM   
Canoerebel

Avalon Hill's boardgame Third Reich was published in the late '70s or early '80s. Fantastic game made even better when Advanced Third Reich became availalbe in the late '80s or '90s. this was followed by Empire of the Rising Sun, a decent Pacific Theater wargame. A3R and ERS were then combined into Global War 2000 (because that's about when it came out) that was alot of fun.

Avalon Hill had tremendous problems trying to adapt to the computer game market, fell woefully behind, and was plagued by bugs. They computerized Third Reich, but it had an extremely poor AI. The development of computer games was probably AH's downfall. They couldn't keep up and became antiquated - the dinosaurs of the gaming industry.

I think Hasbro bought ought Avalon Hill, or at least its games.

Someday somebody will acquire the rights to A3R and ERS (and Global War) and offer them in some kind of computerized version. Or, at least I hope that will happen...

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 19
RE: Third Reich - 5/24/2009 3:47:05 AM   
Canoerebel

P.S.  I have the old boxed versions of both Third Reich, Advanced Third Reich, and Empire of the Rising Sun.  Maybe my sons will take up wargaming....

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 20
RE: Third Reich - 5/24/2009 11:39:30 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

Bill, did you bring your crowbar? These guys have minds like steel traps

Nah, to paraphrase Yogi Berra, "If people don't want to play good wargames, nobody's gonna stop 'em." Many folks look at some particular aspect of a game and make a superficial assessment without fully understanding the true depth of the game engine and editor. Too bad. Attached is a teaser screenshot of my next version, showing updated unit graphics with the different infantry and armor. Veterans of the board game may notice HQs and artillery are new additions and 5-4 air fleets are broken down into seperate fighters and tac bombers, but the rest is straight out of the box. Turns are monthly rather than seasonal, providing some additional operational flavor, and when you throw in fog of war and weather you get a Third Reich game as good or better than the original. What's not to like??

I too would love to see an authentic PC version of Third Reich developed with all the classic rules and variants implemented AND a challenging AI provided. If I can do what I've already done, why can't some professional take on the project and make it happen? In the meantime, we have the Matrix version of WiF to look forward to this summer and its ETO scenarios should be great to play, as well as its PTO and global scenarios. But still, the Third Reich classic begs for attention, someday.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: Third Reich - 5/25/2009 3:13:28 AM   
madgamer2

www.nobleknight.com......tell them I sent you. They have 1 copy of Deluxe Third Reich
for $25.

Madgamer

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 22
RE: Third Reich - 5/25/2009 3:16:06 AM   
madgamer2

I don't know what your using but this is not true. Similar yes but not the same.

Madgamer
I was wrong it was an article about the game from a magazine, check there anyway

< Message edited by madgamer -- 5/25/2009 3:30:44 AM >

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Third Reich Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll