Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

another game crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> another game crash Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
another game crash - 5/18/2009 10:26:28 AM   
STIENER

i had 2 more crashes tonite.......EXE crashes like in GJS.
one was when on the st. gremain varaville map just after we went to deploy screen. the paras had TWO drop zones [ never seen that before ] and we had another on another map.cant remeber which one......same tho....just after we went to deploy screen.
im hosting
im german
a different opponant than the other thread with the plane
your thoughts...........

< Message edited by STIENER -- 5/18/2009 10:27:10 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: another game crash - 5/18/2009 10:30:42 AM   
Andrew Williams

EXE crashes - do you mean "CCE.exe has stopped working......"  standard windows error message?

What OS are you using?

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 2
RE: another game crash - 5/18/2009 10:47:04 AM   
STIENER

yes.....windows XP

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 3
RE: another game crash - 5/18/2009 1:40:20 PM   
DesertedFox

Fear not Steiner, you are in good company.

Whilst playing the standard GC of TLD I have also had an airstike crash and a windows CC error crash whilst hosting.

However, my laptop has regular Application Errors so I was not sure if it was the game or my crappy laptop.

Mark

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 4
RE: another game crash - 5/18/2009 9:24:47 PM   
Andrew Williams

DF

Do you recall what plane made the attack?

Did it complete it's run?

Could it have been a battle winning move and the enemy FM collapsed?

Was it a single battle or a campaign/operation?

If it was a camp/op did the game save and when you restarted could you move to the next battle?

(in reply to DesertedFox)
Post #: 5
RE: another game crash - 5/19/2009 12:26:06 AM   
2ndACR

Had 1 crash during GC.......A20 and it never made it's run......playing as the allies and I called it in. Crash the moment the plane starts it's run......tried to do it again and could not duplicate.

Post #: 6
RE: another game crash - 5/19/2009 9:45:07 AM   
DesertedFox

Hi Andrew,

Sorry mate, can't remember the exact plane but it was an A20 or A26.
No it did not complete its run. As it appeared on my screen that was the crash.
It definately was not a force morale failure, had to replay the battle.
It was the stock TLD GC.
No, it didn't save and had to replay the battle.

Hope that helps. I know at times stuff like this can be like looking for the proverbal needle.

As I said though, my laptop is fairly high end but I have Application Errors frequently with other apps, mainly IE, so who knows, was it the game or my laptop.

Mark

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 7
RE: another game crash - 5/19/2009 6:02:39 PM   
RD Oddball

It almost sounds like an error in the data in the A20 since it would've been spooling up use of it's weapons at that point.  Possibly an error in the tanks.azp somehow.  Steiner can you confirm if it was the A20 or not?

(in reply to DesertedFox)
Post #: 8
RE: another game crash - 5/20/2009 1:17:18 AM   
Senior Drill

The data looks good for the A20. A hull mounted Wulfgerate 40 with ammo. A run through the Vehicles in an Access DB editor shows all aircraft having ammo for their hull and turret guns (read for aircraft as "nose gun or bomb" and "wing guns or bombs" - same same, all same).

I'm suspecting the mis-match of several of the Vehicle.txt (which includes guns) Crew Size and AxsTeams.txt Team Size columns that I pointed out to Oddball two weeks ago in a PM. All is kosher with the .exe until it tries to kill a thing that has conflicting data on just how many sprites in it that can be killed.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 9
RE: another game crash - 5/20/2009 4:24:02 AM   
STIENER

RD Oddball.....in this thread i started here it was to do with my two CCE.exe crashes. it had nothing to do with planes. see top post.

in my other thread it was not an A 20 it was a typhoon.

(in reply to Senior Drill)
Post #: 10
RE: another game crash - 5/20/2009 6:51:48 PM   
RD Oddball

Ok thanks.  Drill the crew size has been addressed and will be fixed in the patch.  Thanks again.

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 11
RE: another game crash - 5/20/2009 11:49:04 PM   
Senior Drill

Cool, Jimbo!

@ Stiener: What I suspect to be the problem is not the aircraft, but the targets they are attacking or get caught up in their fires. A mis-match in the Vehicle and *Teams files for the crew and team sizes could be the issue or a part of it. The game engine sees from the data files that Tank X has 5 sprites, rolls it's dice for each and decides that all 5 are wounded or die, then goes to adjust the team but finds there are only four to be mashed up. Being the program that it is, it decides to instead contemplate the nature of life and CTDs.

A20's have the largest and most devestating attack and are wonderful support weapons when they make a good attack. Most everything will get seriously screwed up. They do have this annoying tendency to drop short, left, right and long, sometimes completely missing the intended target sitting passively there in the saffron haze, and lay waste to your units, enemy units you didn't even know were there or some defensless apple orchard. If by chance, a unit that can throw a computer embolism is sitting where the mis-drop takes place, you might not see what got hit before the game crashes.

On the first day that I had the game, I did have a couple of CTD's when playing though part of the GC. The later that night, being the data munger that I am, I made my own TLD data workbook, finishing some hours before the "official" one was linked, or at least pointed out. Both mine and the "official" workbooks point out the same inconsistancies. I made corrections to my data files based on the error checking formulas in the spreadsheet and put those into my game. I've played every GC and most of the Ops through without a crash.

You can be patient and wait for the patch, or you can enter the Dark Side and mod. One caveat: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

<edited for spelling, at least those that I see>

< Message edited by Senior Drill -- 5/20/2009 11:51:28 PM >

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 12
RE: another game crash - 5/31/2009 3:46:06 PM   
oldspec4

Game crash while playing the Battle for Caratan operation.  I was probably into the 6th or 7th battle as Germans; and crash occured at the end of the battle.  Running the Beta patch and had not experienced any prior stability issues before this CTD.  Also, the saved game is no longer shown so have lost all progress to date .

(in reply to Senior Drill)
Post #: 13
RE: another game crash - 5/31/2009 4:39:36 PM   
panzerlehr62

Hello,

Just reporting first game crash due to plane attack.

Game is patched to  .01b.

Merville battery map. Attack was on 1/2 building at bottom middle edge of the map just to left of the "from cabourg flag exit". Inf unit attacked was probably damaged (maybe 1 man) before plane attacked them. It made its pass and attacked and right at that point the game ended for my oppenent. Game was still running for me, althou it was froze as far as orders or time counting down. Sgt Drill I think your explanation for this crash is probably dead on ("A mis-match in the Vehicle and *Teams files for the crew and team sizes could be the issue or a part of it"), and I will definitly keep that in mind next time I decide to call in a air strike. Out of about 4 strikes called in so far that was the first crash.

Gz...

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 14
RE: another game crash - 6/2/2009 12:10:00 AM   
Andrew Williams

pzlehr

Was the game saved after the crash or did you have to replay the battle?

We're trying to pinpoint this one so just need all the details.

(in reply to panzerlehr62)
Post #: 15
RE: another game crash - 6/2/2009 12:29:07 AM   
panzerlehr62

Sadly it did not.

I was the host computer.

I hoped against all hope but it didnt...because the replay didnt go so well, my skilled oppenent kicked my butt the second time...

I didnt get the plane name either( say about 99% sure it was twin engine plane), it had been available for some time and the messages had scrolled it off screen and I didnt catch it. It didnt come in at much of a angle either, was like in and out in about a second it seemed. It did fire and it seemed right at that point the game crashed. Ive never seen a game crash like that either as far as just sitting there in pause mode effect. I had to tab out and cancel it out. I could issue orders but of course nothing happened. No timer was visible either. Hope that helps a little.

Bob if you read this and remember somethg I am missing(I have no idea what happened on your end) or you think you know the plane name add it to this page.

Edit: I must add this, the game has been very, very stable, real impressed. That crash really caught me off guard too because of that. Now threw first turn (day) so we've had a good number of battles considering the night turns too with NO problems!

Gz...

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 6/2/2009 12:43:48 AM >

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> another game crash Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI