Counters

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Tonqeen

Counters

Post by Tonqeen »

Is the counters ready for every country and if so, could you post a link that show the different countries counters?
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Counters

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Tonqeen

Is the counters ready for every country and if so, could you post a link that show the different countries counters?
The units have been finished for several years. But posting a full list of them as rendered in MWIF is not really feasible - there are over 3000 of them. The tutorials give a fairly complete list of a representative units for each unit type (76 types, plus some variations within type) and country (~80 that have units). Patrice's web site has the counter sheets from the board game of WIF, and those have been duplicated in MWIF (virtually unchanged).

Each unit has data that is not visible on the counter 'face'. In the board game it was placed on the back of the counter. In MWIF there is a Unit Data Panel that displays all the data associated with the counter (much more detail).

Here is a screen shot of the Pools form, which is the form that displays the most units at one time; and in this instance it shows the force pool for Germany.

Though there are 52 units displayed at once, we still haven't seen all the German fighters. Especially conspicuous by their absence are all the units that have been scrapped and those that are on the map already.

EDIT: Added screen shot. Internet Explorer was confused when I tried to originally upload the screen shot, so I had to exit the program and log back in.

Attachments
Pools 5 5 2009 1.jpg
Pools 5 5 2009 1.jpg (249.93 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Is it just me or dont the color look blurred near the text and numbers ? Make my eyes feel a bit sore after some time fixing it..

Same for the text on the button by the way. Perhaps it is related to the computer resolution you take picture from... 
Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky
csharpmao

Post by csharpmao »

I think the blur effect is due to jpg compression, when saving the screen shot.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: csharpmao

I think the blur effect is due to jpg compression, when saving the screen shot.
It is.
Tonqeen

Post by Tonqeen »

Thanks for answers.
Patrice's web site has the counter sheets from the board game of WIF

Can you link that please?
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Tonqeen

Thanks for answers.
Patrice's web site has the counter sheets from the board game of WIF

Can you link that please?
Here : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/froon/WiF/c ... /index.htm
But it is only low res scans.
ItBurns

Post by ItBurns »

I don't know if this helps but the kind Froonp also has available a spread sheet that lists all the units and their different strengths. It can be found on his site at http://pagesperso-orange.fr/froon/WiF/wif.htm. You will have to search for it - its right under the heading counter lists.

This I found to be much easier on the eyes and since its a spread sheet I was able to sort it any way I wanted for comparisons.
No sane man can afford to dispense with debilitating pleasures; and no ascetic can be considered reliably sane.
composer99

Post by composer99 »

That countersheet spreadsheet is the best non-ADG WiF accessory there is.
~ Composer99
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: composer99

Since Patrice did the proof reading of the units in MWIF, I would be willing to bet it is a 100% match to the units in MWIF.
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Since Patrice did the proof reading of the units in MWIF, I would be willing to bet it is a 100% match to the units in MWIF.
Except for 3 Japanese MECH whose names were changed from their original WiF FE name against my will.

Attachments
Namechang..206208.jpg
Namechang..206208.jpg (19.82 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

I don't know if this helps but the kind Froonp also has available a spread sheet that lists all the units and their different strengths. It can be found on his site at http://pagesperso-orange.fr/froon/WiF/wif.htm. You will have to search for it - its right under the heading counter lists.

This I found to be much easier on the eyes and since its a spread sheet I was able to sort it any way I wanted for comparisons.
Don't hesitate to download it again if you have since a long time, because people keep on signaling me tiny errors in the files a couple of times per year. I included a date & hour in the file for those who wonder if they are up to date.

Direct link : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/froon/WiF/P ... -PatiF.zip
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Froonp

Except for 3 Japanese MECH whose names were changed from their original WiF FE name against my will.

Ah yes. The mechanized units whose names included the word 'Armor'. I thought this would be confusing to players since the behavior of these units in combat would be as mechanized units, without the increased benefits that armor units receive.
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

Ah yes. The mechanized units whose names included the word 'Armor'. I thought this would be confusing to players since the behavior of these units in combat would be as mechanized units, without the increased benefits that armor units receive.
Yes, but who are we to rename what the Japanese designated as armored units, to mechanized units, even if from a practical point of view, they are more matching mechanised units because Japanese tanks are best rated as tankettes and recon vehicules compared to the rest of the world definition or armor.

I would not. If it pleases Japan to call them "Star Destroyers of Death", this is their choice, and I'd keep that.

Units names are units names, units types are units types. Matching both is pointless and redundant from my point of view.

[;)]
Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker »

Awww c'mon! Its Japan, their mech are fighting Chinese, which means they are armour for the most part :)
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Japan had light and medium armour too, aren't you underestimating them? Of course compared to soviet tanks they were not as fiersome. But I am sure they were doing the job against the chinese army, no need to build a 60 tons tank if the enemy have no armor, most of the theater of operation is jungle and islands.

Mmmm from wiki seems that the japanese armor were desperately outclassed in both quality and quantity against the americans. [:)]
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

The japanese fielded a grand total of 4 Tank divisions in the war  (not Armour corps)!  Since they never had a tank or mech corp at all, and the counters are just pure fantasy, I guess we can call them whatever we like.  Another fine example of WiF Fantasy, where they beef up the axis powers to make them be able to compete against the allies for a fun game.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

The japanese fielded a grand total of 4 Tank divisions in the war  (not Armour corps)!  Since they never had a tank or mech corp at all, and the counters are just pure fantasy, I guess we can call them whatever we like.  Another fine example of WiF Fantasy, where they beef up the axis powers to make them be able to compete against the allies for a fun game.

Yea. The Allies got no beefing and no fantasy units in WiF. Hmmm.... the armored French corps leaps to mind.

4 Tank divisions with 4 motorized divisions and supporting elements would be 4 armored/mechanized corps if they were organized that way. In most oob there were no more than one tank division in an armored corps.

I am sorry for the snide answer. [:(]

Edit: I have no trouble with the French armored corps in WiF.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker »

Also on this point it is fair to say, the counter mix is NOT limited to historical limits, 4 Tank and 4 Motorized divisions could easily form an Armoured corp and two mechanized corp for the Japanese OOB.  However WiF allows the players to build more or less than this historical amount.  There are reasoned estimates of how many more they could have produced, and I suppose scenario start amounts mean you must have at least some.

Most of the folks that play WiF I would think agree that for the most part the game does a good job balancing Historical force levels with a 'what could be', and in addition the game balance as a whole tends I think to have the players gravitate to a very reasonable OOB.  So if Japan can build 2 armoured corps 3 mech corps and a div here and there, they usually pay for that with less than historical levels of Naval and Aircraft.  To say the unit mix is pure fantasy is disingenuous to say it politely.  If you disagree, that is fine.  If you disagree and want to support your position, that is fine and I am sure folks will joust with you.  However to just come and say its fantasy without any backing is... mmmm well I am polite usually so I won't comment further.

composer99

Post by composer99 »

Mike, they also boost up the Axis production capabilities, which means that the Japanese can, assuming their convoys have not been sunk, build out their armour and naval/air assets. Most Japanese players don't build armour in the early part of the game, though (usually they start in 1942 when shipbuilding is winding down).
~ Composer99

Return to “World in Flames”