Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Restricted Command Movement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Restricted Command Movement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Restricted Command Movement - 4/26/2009 9:08:17 PM   
pad152

Is there sea movement of restricted command units to another base under the same command in AE?
Post #: 1
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/26/2009 10:25:03 PM   
jwilkerson

Negatif.

If you can't pay PP - then you can do it with air transport - but not with sea movement.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 2
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/26/2009 10:55:26 PM   
Yamato hugger

It was looked at every way from sunday to find a way to make it work without the players being able to abuse it, but there always was, so it was decided (I dont think anyone was against it actually) to leave it out.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/27/2009 1:04:57 AM   
pad152

Air movement is almost useless because most of equipment can't be moved by air. I always try to bring troops back to Java for the last stand of Dutch forces. Sounds like this is not possible with AE.

Sea Movement - Restricted Movement

1. Require setting the destination first before loading troops on ships.
2. When loading troops, if they belong to a restricted command then check the destination first to make sure it's under the same restricted command, if not don't load.
3. If the TF docks at a port that is not part of the restricred command then don't unload.
4. If troops belonging to a restricted command don't unload within 30 days or some how end up somewhere else they disband.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 4
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/27/2009 1:42:23 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Air movement is almost useless because most of equipment can't be moved by air. I always try to bring troops back to Java for the last stand of Dutch forces. Sounds like this is not possible with AE.

Sea Movement - Restricted Movement

1. Require setting the destination first before loading troops on ships.
2. When loading troops, if they belong to a restricted command then check the destination first to make sure it's under the same restricted command, if not don't load.
3. If the TF docks at a port that is not part of the restricred command then don't unload.
4. If troops belonging to a restricted command don't unload within 30 days or some how end up somewhere else they disband.

Very close to our last proposal, but we had a number of problems. Mainly in the ability of players to find cheats with the various controls. In the end, we were not able to come up with an acceptable process.

Just between you, me, and whoever else reads this thread - I am in favor of something very similar to what you wrote. Only using a mixture of evaporation if the unit is kept at sea and a "mutiny" rule that would destroy the unit, damage or sink the ship, and possibly damage other units and facilities in an "improper" unload location.

But the problem has more twists and turns than a politicians speach. Every time we solved one cheat, another popped up. It's not in there, but not because we did not try.

Examples: a player can unload at a non-base hex, which has no HQ. Or a small base somewhere could be changed to the restricted HQ, the troops unloaded and then marched out.

It would be a lot easier if you'all would just play fair.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 5
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/27/2009 6:56:07 AM   
pad152

I didn't know you could even change a base to a restricted HQ, never thought of that one!

To me pulling troops back to Java for a final stand isn't gamey or unfair just good strategy.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 6
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/27/2009 7:48:00 PM   
Oldguard1970

Restricted commands make it harder for players to do whatever they want, just as commanders were unable to do whatever they might have wanted.  It is true that restricted commands inhibit the players' abilities to do things that a real commander might have done, but PPs give the players some level of control.  It is not a bad balance.

Besides, I suspect we players enjoy far more flexibility than the actual commanders ever had. 

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 7
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/27/2009 8:45:34 PM   
pad152

The issue is PP's no longer give you control, my understanding in AE you can't use PP's on units under Restricted Commands in AE, this along with no sea movement within a restricted command just ties the player hands.  What's the point of a game if the player doesn't have control? Might as well start the game with the resource area already in Japanese control, run an AI vs AI game.

Yes, moving units out of a restricted command is gamey but, the player should have a method of moving units (land, air, sea) within a restricted command or go back to the WITP method using PP's.

Don't allow bases to be changed to a restricted command other than by capture and once there are no longer any bases under a specific restricted command, then have all units under that command disband, this would eliminate a player trying to save units or try using them elsewhere.

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 8
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/27/2009 9:13:44 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

I didn't know you could even change a base to a restricted HQ, never thought of that one!

To me pulling troops back to Java for a final stand isn't gamey or unfair just good strategy.

Thats why Im a tester and you arent

Seriously, we really tried to come up with something, just too creative of a testing team

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 9
RE: Restricted Command Movement - 4/28/2009 4:03:18 AM   
treespider

quote:

The issue is PP's no longer give you control, my understanding in AE you can't use PP's on units under Restricted Commands in AE,

Incorrect...only some units are permanently restricted. Others are "partially" restricted meaning they can be bought. I move around all sorts of Dutch units...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Restricted Command Movement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI