Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: cost of buying from matrix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: cost of buying from matrix Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/3/2009 11:06:44 PM   
bink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think Sarge was suggesting that it was unlikely the original author of that book actually authorized the Chinese version you purchased or got any money from the sale, given the lack of IP respect in China overall. No way to prove that, of course but it's worth keeping in mind.

Erik,

What does the lack of IP respect in China have to do with legitimate production there?

Also, can you please address my earlier response to your post, querying your definitions of retail?

Thanks,

bink

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 61
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/3/2009 11:19:47 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

How is it a "chinese knockoff"? He "bought" a translation of a military book and the company printed it in China to save on cost...it's called business.

Seriously JD ,

Are you really agreeing that Perturabo’s ”Chinese knockoff ” is one our hobby and Matrix should follow ?...........................

No I'm not Sarge. But no-one here has any knowledge how the printers printed it in China...if it's been reprinted illegally, then your point is valid. But you nor I have any knowledge of how he came about the book and whether the printer/publisher was legitimate.

I'm not daft...I know what goes on in China and other regions of the world...that doesn't mean there are not legitimate businesses and it certainly doesn't mean that someone who bought a translated reprint of a book cheaper because it was printed in China broke any law...that's all I was saying.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 62
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/3/2009 11:29:16 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

I think Sarge was suggesting that it was unlikely the original author of that book actually authorized the Chinese version you purchased or got any money from the sale, given the lack of IP respect in China overall. No way to prove that, of course but it's worth keeping in mind.

What? A Chinese version?
It's not a Chinese version. I can't even talk Chinese. It's a Polish version from a main publisher of military history books in Poland.

It was printed in China. It's probably because for some weird reason costs of printing books in Poland are as high as costs of printing books in Western Europe despite that wages in Poland are 3-5 times lower than in Western Europe.

Sarge could as well call Digital Downloads an "internet knockoff" because one doesn't have to pay for postage and costs of producing a physical version.

Anyway, adjusting prices to local market seems to be a normal practice in some parts of book market (i.e. certainly military books and not novels) and news magazine market. I have recently bought an Osprey book from Polish publisher and it costed 30PLN (10$) - English versions cost 72PLN which is definitely too much for me and the Polish version is the only way I can buy them (I'm not sure if they'll continue publishing them, though. They made a deal for Campaign series and are going to see if they'll sell - the problem is that they have not only chosen the series that will interest a narrow group of people and have a saturated market but also have chosen some of the most uncool campaigns possible.), now I have bought Tank Warfare for 49PLN (~16$), while the English version costs over 100PLN.
There are series of books about criminal divisions of SS - I'm planning to buy some of them - one book costs 39PLN (13$) while English version costs 93PLN.
All of them are from different publishers.

Similarly Polish edition of Newsweek costs 5PLN (less than 2$) while the US one costs 5$.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

Post #: 63
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/3/2009 11:35:46 PM   
bink

Chinese Book Publishing Industry Facts:

Since some prior posts suggest that books printed in China do not reimburse the author, and are in some way not legitimate, here are some facts about the Chinese printing industry, from the Book Manufacturers' Institute (from 2005 data):

bmibook.org/html/ppt/John%20Maine%20Pres.ppt

Key Takeaways:
- Asia exported $1.3 billion of books to the US in 2005 - equal to 4.6% of book sales
- Over 500 million books per year now exported from China to the U.S.
- China is the dominant exporter of books to the U.S.

Here is a link to details about a U.S. title published in China that encountered some problems:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/28/business/media-china-seizure-halts-delivery-of-us-book.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/K/Kirkpatrick,%20David%20D.

I have come across many books printed in China, and it is disingenuous to suggest that a Chinese book is, ipso facto, not genuine.

Note that the book Perturabo was referring to was a "translation", and products are often (except in Matrix's case) priced taking into account the income of the sales market.  So a product gets a premium price in the U.S. market, but is priced at a lower level in Mexico (for example).  In some cases, repricing a product for a different market means cost-cutting, for example, by production in a lower production cost center (such as printing a book in China!).

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 64
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/3/2009 11:52:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: bink
What does the lack of IP respect in China have to do with legitimate production there?

I think my comment was pretty self-explanatory. I didn't see anything from the original poster that would indicate whether his copy was an authorized translation/reprint or not. I was clarifying what seemed to me to be Sarge's point.

The fact is that a lot of stuff that is made in China, often for local consumption, involves effective theft of foreign IP. At the same time, a LOT of very legitimate, legal stuff is made under license, etc. by Chinese companies for local and foreign markets. Just about everything I can buy in the store these days is made in China.

quote:

Also, can you please address my earlier response to your post, querying your definitions of retail?

I'll look for that.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 65
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/3/2009 11:56:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

<snip>
I have come across many books printed in China, and it is disingenuous to suggest that a Chinese book is, ipso facto, not genuine.

I wasn't suggesting that, though I think Sarge was. Is this an issue of personal/professional interest for you? I agree that you can't assume it's not genuine because it was printed in China.

quote:

Note that the book Perturabo was referring to was a "translation", and products are often (except in Matrix's case) priced taking into account the income of the sales market.

Actually, we have priced for local markets in the past and had some bad luck with it. It's a lot easier to price for local markets when you're a large company with better economies of scale and products that sell at mainstream levels rather than niche market levels. The cost of localization and local pricing for a niche company often combines to simply make no sense when it comes to the bottom line, especially if local partners don't respect local market limitations and with international re-sale sites like Amazon and E-Bay that's becoming increasingly hard to enforce.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 66
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:01:59 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I think we have different definitions - I consider a high volume physical store as retail, but it sounds like yours is more exclusionary. What do you consider retail? How do you differentiate that from a dealer?

Nationwide stores that primarily focus on computers and software (such as Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.) and a few very large retail outlets that are big into software (like Wal-Mart) are what we consider to be retail. If you're sending out a game to retail, these chains together will likely make up 90%+ of your total sales and getting into them with your game will pretty much determine the success or failure of any full "retail" release. When you look at those kinds of releases, you're often looking at thousands of copies (or tens of thousands for more mainstream titles).

Chain stores that are primarily local or regional or carry software as an extra item but don't focus on it, as well as smaller hobby stores, book stores and online web stores are in our definition of "dealer". That means we'll generally deal with them in small quantities and frequent shipments, including games that don't go to full "retail". That's what I think is happening with a store like J&R and HPS, and they would definitely be more of a "dealer" for us, someone we might deal with directly and restock periodically rather than doing one big release and letting it work its way through the retail channel. In total, they probably account for <10% of any "retail" release and we look at them more as normal resellers than really sending a game to "retail".

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/4/2009 12:02:38 AM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 67
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:20:02 AM   
bink

quote:

quote:

<snip>

I wasn't suggesting that, though I think Sarge was. Is this an issue of personal/professional interest for you? I agree that you can't assume it's not genuine because it was printed in China.

quote:

Note that the book Perturabo was referring to was a "translation", and products are often (except in Matrix's case) priced taking into account the income of the sales market.

Actually, we have priced for local markets in the past and had some bad luck with it. It's a lot easier to price for local markets when you're a large company with better economies of scale and products that sell at mainstream levels rather than niche market levels. The cost of localization and local pricing for a niche company often combines to simply make no sense when it comes to the bottom line, especially if local partners don't respect local market limitations and with international re-sale sites like Amazon and E-Bay that's becoming increasingly hard to enforce.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik,

Regarding the first point, it is of no professional interest to me. I have no vested interests in this. I do have an unvested personal interest in the way that the Perturabo's observation of buying a book made in China was turned into an assertion that the author was not reimbursed.

Regarding the second point, whilst I acknowledge the difficulties you face at a retail distribution level with different pricing levels, I would have thought that your direct downloads would have obviated that problem? I have not looked at your direct download pricing for non-US regions, but am going on your comments.

Surely it is unreasonable to expect consumers in countries with low incomes to pay the same price for products that consumers in higher income countries do, particularly when the marginal production costs are trivial?

Take a look at this Wikipedia page showing purported IMF GDP per capita data (it looks reasonable, if not completely accurate):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Take a few numbers to compare (rounded up/down to nearest '000)

USA $47K
Russia $12K
China (PRC) $3K

If you compare the China to USA GDP numbers, pricing a USD 60 game at the same level in China would be analogous to a $900 price in the USA. This type of pricing would only encourage piracy.

There was a recent article in a games magazine (PC Gamer?) that looked at PC gaming in Russia, and how piracy was combated - partly by stiff judicial sentences for piracy, but also by direct retail distribution and reasonable local market pricing.

I don't think any company that tries to adopt US based pricing in low-GDP countries (such as China) can feign any surprise when its products are pirated because it has priced itself out of that market.

Post #: 68
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:26:39 AM   
SireChaos

quote:

quote:

quote:

<snip>

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Erik,

Regarding the first point, it is of no professional interest to me. I have no vested interests in this. I do have an unvested personal interest in the way that the Perturabo's observation of buying a book made in China was turned into an assertion that the author was not reimbursed.

Regarding the second point, whilst I acknowledge the difficulties you face at a retail distribution level with different pricing levels, I would have thought that your direct downloads would have obviated that problem? I have not looked at your direct download pricing for non-US regions, but am going on your comments.

Surely it is unreasonable to expect consumers in countries with low incomes to pay the same price for products that consumers in higher income countries do, particularly when the marginal production costs are trivial?

Take a look at this Wikipedia page showing purported IMF GDP per capita data (it looks reasonable, if not completely accurate):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Take a few numbers to compare (rounded up/down to nearest '000)

USA $47K
Russia $12K
China (PRC) $3K

If you compare the China to USA GDP numbers, pricing a USD 60 game at the same level in China would be analogous to a $900 price in the USA. This type of pricing would only encourage piracy.

There was a recent article in a games magazine (PC Gamer?) that looked at PC gaming in Russia, and how piracy was combated - partly by stiff judicial sentences for piracy, but also by direct retail distribution and reasonable local market pricing.

I don't think any company that tries to adopt US based pricing in low-GDP countries (such as China) can feign any surprise when its products are pirated because it has priced itself out of that market.

And you, sir, cannot feign surprise if someone buys cheaper games priced for the Chinese market, re-imports them into the US, and undercuts Matrix Games there.

If people cannot afford the price of a computer game, then they cannot buy it - and if they cannot buy it, they cannot have it. It´s as simple as that. Having access to computer games is not a universal human right, and computer game publishers are not obligated to provide them to people when doing so would cost them money rather than earn them money.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 69
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:27:16 AM   
bink

quote:

quote:

I think we have different definitions - I consider a high volume physical store as retail, but it sounds like yours is more exclusionary. What do you consider retail? How do you differentiate that from a dealer?

Nationwide stores that primarily focus on computers and software (such as Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.) and a few very large retail outlets that are big into software (like Wal-Mart) are what we consider to be retail. If you're sending out a game to retail, these chains together will likely make up 90%+ of your total sales and getting into them with your game will pretty much determine the success or failure of any full "retail" release. When you look at those kinds of releases, you're often looking at thousands of copies (or tens of thousands for more mainstream titles).

Chain stores that are primarily local or regional or carry software as an extra item but don't focus on it, as well as smaller hobby stores, book stores and online web stores are in our definition of "dealer". That means we'll generally deal with them in small quantities and frequent shipments, including games that don't go to full "retail". That's what I think is happening with a store like J&R and HPS, and they would definitely be more of a "dealer" for us, someone we might deal with directly and restock periodically rather than doing one big release and letting it work its way through the retail channel. In total, they probably account for <10% of any "retail" release and we look at them more as normal resellers than really sending a game to "retail".

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks for the clarification. I always associated with retail with the concept of going into a store and making a purchase.

In regard to an earlier thread about the difficulties of Matrix posting dealer information on it's website, why not post dealer/distributor information? There are other models for this, and it lets you list U.S. based dealers and other distributors. These distributors can then be contacted for sub-dealers. If you like, I can provide examples of other manufacturers who adopt this model. For example, if you have 2 distributors in Canada (I am making this up), list them, and the consumer who wants to find a dealer can then call the dealer or look up their website to find a list of sub-dealers.

A great example here:

http://www.haagendazs.com/reserve/

Pick a flavor, and Haagendazs will tell you who carries it!!

I think that it is a fairly costless way for you to make Matrix more consumer friendly and accessible.

Post #: 70
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:33:03 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

The direct downloads are indeed our answer to the challenges of getting any kind of global distribution.

quote:

Not really. We and our developers are located in first world developed countries with commensurate costs. The partners we deal with (Digital River) also require a first-world share for their services. The end result is an effective base cost per copy given niche market quantities that precludes the kind of pricing that would really be required to release into a place like Russia or China. Our experiment with Poland, for example, effectively turned into a net loss for us.

As far as using the digital downloads for this, even there we have a higher base cost per copy than you might assume, but the real problem comes in confirming the location of the consumer. There are ways to do this, but they are not foolproof at all and vastly different download pricing without a foolproof method of confirming customer location is an invitation for abuse.

If we were a mainstream game company, with those kind of economies of scale and much lower marginal costs, I think it would make a lot of sense to price for these markets. For a niche market company like ours, it doesn't really work.

quote:

I disagree. If anyone thinks piracy is justifiable they get no sympathy from me. We do all we can to make our products more affordable for our customers within the limitations of the costs to develop and publish these games. We try to get as many of the obstacles to purchase out of the way as possible, through digital downloads and very customer-friendly copy protection. That's about all we can do for now.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 71
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:33:35 AM   
bink

quote:

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

And you, sir, cannot feign surprise if someone buys cheaper games priced for the Chinese market, re-imports them into the US, and undercuts Matrix Games there.

If people cannot afford the price of a computer game, then they cannot buy it - and if they cannot buy it, they cannot have it. It´s as simple as that. Having access to computer games is not a universal human right, and computer game publishers are not obligated to provide them to people when doing so would cost them money rather than earn them money.

But I did acknowledge that this can be a problem with retail distribution. My point was that it is surmountable with direct downloads.

From a business perspective, you can either write-off low-GDP markets to piracy, or try to make some revenue from them.

And no, it is not as simple as "if they cannot buy it, they cannot have it" - they can have it, but illegally.

How would selling a direct download (assuming bandwidth and electronic processing costs are trivial) cost a company money?

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 72
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:34:12 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I think that it is a fairly costless way for you to make Matrix more consumer friendly and accessible.

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll see what we can do.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 73
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:36:41 AM   
bink

quote:

quote:

I disagree. If anyone thinks piracy is justifiable they get no sympathy from me. We do all we can to make our products more affordable for our customers within the limitations of the costs to develop and publish these games. We try to get as many of the obstacles to purchase out of the way as possible, through digital downloads and very customer-friendly copy protection. That's about all we can do for now.

Regards,

- Erik

So, are you saying that you would be surprised if your games are pirated in China?

Post #: 74
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:37:32 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

How would selling a direct download (assuming bandwidth and electronic processing costs are trivial) cost a company money?

Well, the problem is that those costs are not actually trivial in the end, though they are less than the costs of retail distribution. Some are set percentages or scaling costs (payment processing, bandwidth, customer support, etc.) some are more fixed costs (marketing, phone orders, setup) but in the end if you aren't selling a LOT of copies, the result is that you have a basic price per download that you can't go below if you want to actually make a profit at the end of the day.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 75
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:40:29 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

So, are you saying that you would be surprised if your games are pirated in China?

I misread you there, no not surprised at all, but I would not consider it in any way justifiable and I am disappointed that it happens. There are many games released each month, both computer, board and miniatures games, that I simply can't afford. I would guess that I can probably afford to buy about 20% of what I would actually want to buy gaming-wise each month. Yet, I don't feel the need to pirate or otherwise steal those things that I can't afford and I think the vast majority of our customers feel the same way.

To expand on that, when I find a game I enjoy I actively look for opportunities to buy more stuff made by that developer/designer/publisher to give them more of my support. Now, if I could only afford to buy one game per year, it would just mean that I would research all the more carefully before I made my one purchase. I wouldn't go pirating the rest.

I do realize this happens however and that's just the way some folks are.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/4/2009 12:42:47 AM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 76
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 12:49:37 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

Actually, most of the digital industry (programs/music/movies) simply chose to ignore the income differences - which is pretty weird taking in account that unlike book industry they are practically not limited by the reproduction cost - which of course results in much lesser sales and much higher piracy than in the Western Europe.

Personally, I used to buy full priced new games and later new music CDs several years ago, but in a long run, it was overspending - it led to stupid situations where my mother was waiting for a payment a few times bigger than monthly income of an average family and we were hungry for a few days before it because we ran out of money XD .
It's something I'm not going to do again, even when I'll finish school and then finish the entry period in work and start earning a bit bigger money.
Mainly, because it's a financial suicide and great way to dig oneself in debts in case of health problems or loss of work. Building a basic financial security is much more important than foreign entertainment and upgrading a computer, which sadly, many young people in Poland don't understand.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 77
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 1:09:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
Building a basic financial security is much more important than foreign entertainment and upgrading a computer, which sadly, many young people in Poland don't understand.

I agree with that completely, games are a luxury after all and can also be expensive when you consider some of the mainstream titles with limited gameplay time and limited replayability that also practically require top end computer hardware.

With that said, for those that have the money to spare, computer games are one of the best entertainment values in terms of bang for the buck.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 78
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 1:44:22 AM   
bink

quote:

quote:

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll see what we can do.

That would be great. Using Google (or other search engines) to find a dealer is not always easy, particularly when there are many search results.

Here are other examples (to give you ideas) of a manufacturers approach to providing dealer information:

http://nhthifi.com/current/store.html
http://www.audioengineusa.com/resellers.htm

In the meantime, who are your dealers in DC, Philadelphia, and New York? If I know who they are, I will definitely visit any that are within a reasonable distance! (I spend time in all 3 cities...)

Post #: 79
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 1:58:54 PM   
Sarge

quote:

quote:

<snip>

I was not suggesting anything, I simply responded to Perturabo comment below and his position of “Whatever” I want cheap or no support !

China or bust…………………

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
Yeah, whatever. I'm still not buying unless I can buy for a more reasonable price.
Anyway, I bought myself a translation of a western military book - it was two times less expensive than the original book. They went as far as printing it in China to make the price more reasonable.

This is the comment I responded to , personally I don’t think this comment can be described as constructive . Perturabo, Bink and JD obviously have a different definition of how to support our hobby

Sry for the fireworks

My bad

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 80
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 3:50:01 PM   
JudgeDredd

I may well have a different definition to you with regards to supporting our hobby Sarge...but mine is one which involves purchasing games I like...most of them are full price. Very seldom do I "bargain bin" hunt.

I obviously don't know what your definition is, but if it's different to the one I just stated, then you are correct.

As for Perturabos comment you bold typed...what exactly is wrong with that statement? I don't buy a new game unless it's at the price point I can afford and something I am going to enjoy. You can take that whatever way you want. Spin it if you want...but I've spent in excess of £15,000 on my hobby over the last 15 years.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 81
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 9:05:47 PM   
Sarge

quote:

As for Perturabos comment you bold typed...what exactly is wrong with that statement? I don't buy a new game unless it's at the price point I can afford and something I am going to enjoy. You can take that whatever way you want. Spin it if you want...but I've spent in excess of £15,000 on my hobby over the last 15 years.

Nothing is wrong with his statement, I just don’t agree ………its that simple Judge

Your free to continue the campaign to enlighten Matrix on the benefits of outsourcing their production to China for cheaper /“twice as less” titles to your hearts content .

Good luck

< Message edited by Sarge -- 5/4/2009 9:06:36 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 82
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/4/2009 10:40:59 PM   
JudgeDredd

lmao. I love it that you think I have an agenda Sarge, but really...I'm not that deep.

Some of Matrix games are a bit on the pricey side...but if I'm interested in the game, then I'll pay it. Hell I've even taken a couple of titles that I thought I should steer clear of (Kharkov Disaster on the Donetz was one). Some purchases I've regretted and most I haven't.

Bottom line...Matrix can sell their games for what they like and if I like a the sound of a game and I have the money, I'll buy. If either of those two criteria are not met, I don't buy. It's truly that simple.

I don't shop anywhere else for Matrix Games...I buy them right here.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 83
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/5/2009 5:51:55 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

I'm with you. I'm strapped for cash but I don't mind paying an extra $10 for the customer service Matrix offers to go along with this weboard that Matrix offers free of charge to use as an outlet to communicate with the developers, staff and other people around the globe that share our passion. You can't put a price on the last point. Seems some folks think this board is an outlet to take shots at Matrix for their policies.

This can't afford it is well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bullstuff.

I doubt there are many members on this board that are struggling from a financial point of view more than me but somehow I manage to save to get the games I want. It's all about choices, cut out a few McDonalds trips and you'll have a game you want in no time. There is nothing that gives you more bang for the entertainment dollar than a wargame from Matrix.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 84
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/5/2009 9:05:53 PM   
Lützow

quote:

Same for me.

I'm happy they carried over the legacy of Talonsoft and like the attitude at this forum. How Erik cares about customer concerns, dev's participation and longtime support, the lack of DRM nuisances and a steady flow of new releases. The majority of games on my hard disk are from Matrix nowadays and I don't mind paying a bit more if it helps to keep them going.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 85
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/5/2009 9:17:29 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
...This can't afford it is well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bullstuff.
I wouldn't say that exactly. Some people have and idea of what they think is expensive and what is not. Doesn't mean it's a crap idea...just different to others.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 86
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/13/2009 3:11:19 AM   
trauth116

The digital download model works where there is affordable and unmetered (or generously metered) bandwidth, which isn't the case in Australia (thanks to Telstra as well as the outdated infrastructure that passes as "state of the art" down here- which in reality means that the size of a game can be a big hit to the metered plans, which are pretty much universal here (I miss my cable ISP :( ).

Anyway, the discussion is one that I find pretty interesting in that a lot of people gripe about the postage costs, when in fact it is increasing postage costs combined with the dynamics of the exchange rates. Then throw in the limited to non-existence of brick and mortar type retail outlets- and it becomes a general business problem for any game publisher. (Just my 5 cents (no such thing as 1 cent pieces here in Oz). :)

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 87
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/13/2009 6:35:20 AM   
Qwixt

For what it's worth, I typically will not pay more than about $50 for a boxed version of the game. I was looking at CC:TLD, and once I rang it up including delivery, it came out to $60+ to my door, which is not worth it to me. I am considering the digital download, but I like manuals, and not having to print them. Also, to be honest, I don't see value in paying brand new price for a repackaged old game. Really seems like a rip off to me.

(in reply to trauth116)
Post #: 88
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/13/2009 7:20:58 AM   
Doggie

Just because Matrix doesn't have any retail outlets don't mean there's no overhead.

You don't expect Rutkins to fly coach do you? He needs that private jet so he can arrive at game conventions in Hawaii rested and refreshed. David Heath has an extended family and that thirty bedroom retreat at Hyannis port also doubles as a convention center. And don't think von Martial's castle in Garmisch-Partenkirchen cleans itself. Servants and ladies in waiting need to be paid.

It's an international corporation and expenses come with the territory.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 89
RE: cost of buying from matrix - 5/13/2009 2:58:48 PM   
Charles_22

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
...This can't afford it is well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bullstuff.
I wouldn't say that exactly. Some people have and idea of what they think is expensive and what is not. Doesn't mean it's a crap idea...just different to others.

You have to remember there have been those at this website who claim that they would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for WITP, and yet haven't given Matrix an extra dime for buying it. I think the intent is to try to claim the price for WITP was cheap, so somebody else shouldn't hesitate to buy it, but, naturally, until you see them do precisely what those sort of people say, you know they're judgement is lousy.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: cost of buying from matrix Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI