Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Remember Turret 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Remember Turret 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Remember Turret 2 - 4/19/2009 2:20:03 PM   
mbatch729

On April 19, 1989, the powder charge for the center gun, turret 2 exploded at 0955. 47 of my shipmates lost their lives that day. Over the years, other events on April 19 have overshawowed that event. Today, please remember my fallen shipmates.

"We are the ship. She breathes through us and she lives as a part of us. As long as she sails we will be a part of her. A part of the IOWA Spirit. That spirit lives on and the men of Turret Two will forever be a part of that living spirit!" - Captain Moosally.

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa
Post #: 1
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/19/2009 4:25:40 PM   
PunkReaper

A very sad event ... with a great loss of young lives. What was your take on the cause of the explosion?

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 2
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/19/2009 7:47:13 PM   
Joshuatree

We will remember your shipmates Mark.
I even remember this sad event, must've been on discovery or another documentary channel. Such a loss of young lives in an instant, the older one gets, the younger they become or so it seems.
I never lost a mate while I was in the army, maybe some got hurt, lost their fingers or lost their teeth, but no one got killed, so I can't even begin to imagine how it is to lose 47 of your shipmates.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 3
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/19/2009 8:04:40 PM   
mbatch729

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

A very sad event ... with a great loss of young lives. What was your take on the cause of the explosion?

Over-ramming of the powder charge. Purely an accident involving old powder and an under-trained gun crew.

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 4
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/20/2009 1:03:13 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Is the Iowa still in operation?  Last I saw of it was in the movie Under Siege.   We need more cool battleships like the Iowa.  They can shoot up terrorists and pirates too as long as people can accept a little collateral damage along with the results.

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 5
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/21/2009 3:56:44 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Is the Iowa still in operation?  Last I saw of it was in the movie Under Siege.   We need more cool battleships like the Iowa.  They can shoot up terrorists and pirates too as long as people can accept a little collateral damage along with the results.

Mighty Mo was used in that movie...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 6
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/21/2009 4:05:33 AM   
rogueusmc

Onboard scenes were the Alabama though I think...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 7
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/23/2009 4:05:25 AM   
105mm Howitzer

All my sympathies go with you and your mates. As a former gunner myself ( Army, not Navy) I recall our instructions and constant urges for safety around the gun site, lest some accident send dozens of charge bags and shells ( and everything else around it) skyward real fast.
Cheers
MC

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 8
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/23/2009 10:48:46 AM   
cdbeck

I don't remember the event (I was only 10 at the time) but I read the story. What a tragic day. Sounds like the official investigation turned out to be a debacle as well, which is sad as it only compounded the grief everyone must have been feeling.

It happened during a firing training, right?

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 9
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/24/2009 12:50:26 AM   
madgamer2

AMEN. A friend of mine went to Hawaii many years ago and when they went to the Arizona memorial it was closed for a short period as they were burying a former member of the crew who wished to be interred with his shipmates. I find that to be a very good thought. Yes a ship is the crew and the crew is the ship may there souls rest in peace having given everything they had. I salute you and your former mates who died on the ship that bears the name of the state I live in. May they rest in peace.

Madgamer

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 10
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/24/2009 3:23:47 PM   
cdbeck

Madgamer, they buried the fellow in the memorial, which is in the Ocean, right? I did not know they did that. What an interesting and touching act.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 11
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/24/2009 8:08:53 PM   
madgamer2

I can not myself confirm this but was told this by a friend who was there. I think that they are cremated first but have non knowledge of the actual ceremony. Perhaps one of greater knowledge of this can enlighten us to if it was really possible to be buried with your shipmates.
I heard from a man at the Indianapolis shrine in that city that several of the crew who survived had there ashs sprinkled or sunk at or near the site where tat grand ship went down. Again I have no prof of either of these events but find them like you to be expressible by mere language. It touches me somewhere in my soul if true.

Madgamer

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 12
RE: Remember Turret 2 - 4/24/2009 11:26:55 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Sad day when that happened. Whats worst, most people don't remember it. Remember when A rifle company of over 200 plus Marines died in the barracks attack. My friends at work don't remember it. But I will always,always remember men and women such as those.
quote:

ORIGINAL: mbatch729

On April 19, 1989, the powder charge for the center gun, turret 2 exploded at 0955. 47 of my shipmates lost their lives that day. Over the years, other events on April 19 have overshawowed that event. Today, please remember my fallen shipmates.

"We are the ship. She breathes through us and she lives as a part of us. As long as she sails we will be a part of her. A part of the IOWA Spirit. That spirit lives on and the men of Turret Two will forever be a part of that living spirit!" - Captain Moosally.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Remember Turret 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll