Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A somewhat different AI question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> A somewhat different AI question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A somewhat different AI question - 4/16/2009 2:00:55 PM   
erstad

AE increases the level of caution and micromanagement required. As a player, we have to pay attention to many, many details we didn't before and if we screw it up, we could be in a world of hurt.

Does the AI have some cheat capability around some of this? It seems there is a high probability that there could be some unintended consequence where the AI doesn't plan as well for a particular aspect. I would think it would need an edge to play as well (from a mechanics standpoint) as a competent human.

Simple example - Torpedos are created at air HQs. The AI may or may not be able to correctly discern threat axes and put the air HQs at the best bases where torps might be required. The AI could have a percentage chance of having torps from any given base. Note I am not suggesting that this particular item is necessarily a good thing, only using to illustrate the general point.
Post #: 1
RE: A somewhat different AI question - 4/16/2009 3:09:52 PM   
Flying Tiger

Not sure you will get any truly intelligent answers to this one erstad. IMHO, i kind of hope the AI does 'cheat' a bit to give a tougher competition (the example you gave above is exactly the type of 'help' i would be happy to see the AI get). But if it is cheating.... i DONT want to know how or when or where!!!

So those in the know - PLEASE dont post a list of all the 'bonuses' given to the AI!! Although i am confident that would not have happened anyway.

Cheers

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 2
RE: A somewhat different AI question - 4/16/2009 3:10:27 PM   
Terminus

That is correct.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 3
RE: A somewhat different AI question - 4/16/2009 5:22:49 PM   
Andy Mac

Sorry no comment on this one

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: A somewhat different AI question - 4/16/2009 7:31:09 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad
AE increases the level of caution and micromanagement required. As a player, we have to pay attention to many, many details we didn't before and if we screw it up, we could be in a world of hurt.

Consarn it, dangnab it, goldarn it, it does not, it does NOT, IT DOES NOT !!! And you bet your shiny arse, I’m shouting.

AE is like an onion. You can play the game just as you play WiTP-1. There are some differences and some tweaks, but you can play AE, successfully, without getting into the nitty-gritty. It won’t take long, with any WiTP experience at all, to figure out the basics. The only major difference is you get more “stuff”, more ships, more battalions, more bases, more air groups, but they … all … play … the … same.

As you peel the onion, you see more and more options that are accessible to tweak, configure, and realign force structure: to shift a balance more towards this, than that; to emphasize one thing over another; to become more efficient in utilizing scarce resources.

Not even the developers have exhausted all the different possibilities. That’s what’s going to give AE a real set of legs. You can start from a WiTP paradigm, but you will have several years worth of differential options to play with.

Most of the described detail you see in these threads, is detail in the normal, automatic flow of things, as well as details relating to the various options. We are damn proud of how we dialed these various things in, and want people to know we took the grognard position. But that does NOT mean you have to be a grog to play.

Everything defaults to WiTP. Additional playability detail is in the heart, mind, wishes and experience of a player. If you got your historical shoot really together, AE tries to challenge at every level of the onion.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 5
RE: A somewhat different AI question - 4/16/2009 7:40:14 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

AE is like an onion. You can play the game just as you play WiTP-1. There are some differences and some tweaks, but you can play AE, successfully, without getting into the nitty-gritty. It won’t take long, with any WiTP experience at all, to figure out the basics. The only major difference is you get more “stuff”, more ships, more battalions, more bases, more air groups, but they … all … play … the … same.

As you peel the onion, you see more and more options that are accessible to tweak, configure, and realign force structure: to shift a balance more towards this, than that; to emphasize one thing over another; to become more efficient in utilizing scarce resources.

Not even the developers have exhausted all the different possibilities. That’s what’s going to give AE a real set of legs. You can start from a WiTP paradigm, but you will have several years worth of differential options to play with.

Most of the described detail you see in these threads, is detail in the normal, automatic flow of things, as well as details relating to the various options. We are damn proud of how we dialed these various things in, and want people to know we took the grognard position. But that does NOT mean you have to be a grog to play.

Everything defaults to WiTP. Additional playability detail is in the heart, mind, wishes and experience of a player. If you got your historical shoot really together, AE tries to challenge at every level of the onion.

Wonderful description John!

Thanks and great gratitude to all hard working WitP-AE guys!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> A somewhat different AI question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI