Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What will you try in Your first MWiF game ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/12/2009 6:07:11 PM   
chacal83000

Well, since it's a lot time since my last boardgame (10 years ? More !) i had a lot of time to think about The "winning strategy..." to play in my next game.

Now So what will YOU try first as Axis or Allies in the full campaign ?
-Classic Barbarossa ?
-1942 Barbarossa ?
-Seelowe ?
-Mare Nostrum ?
-Something else ??

Personnally I'll go after a operation Seelowe, let's look : Joseph and Adolf have a lot of common things why be at war ? : A mousatche, the same perception of gouvernment, in russia evrything is so long away, it's cold, they have a huge army...

Now look at poor Churchill. His only protection is 'La Manche', his only weapon is the Royal Navy, he lacks of units, of pilots of evrything....

England, I arrive !!

--
Ludwik
Post #: 1
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/12/2009 7:09:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: chacal83

Well, since it's a lot time since my last boardgame (10 years ? More !) i had a lot of time to think about The "winning strategy..." to play in my next game.

-Classic Barbarossa ?
-1942 Barbarossa ?
-Seelowe ?
-Mare Nostrum ?
-Something else ??

Personnally I'll go after a operation Seelowe, let's look : Joseph and Adolf have a lot of common things why be at war ? : A mousatche, the same perception of gouvernment, in russia evrything is so long away, it's cold, they have a huge army...

Now look at poor Churchill. His only protection is 'La Manche', his only weapon is the Royal Navy, he lacks of units, of pilots of evrything....

England, I arrive !!

Warspite1

Just you try it sunshine. We`ll be ready for you when you do - just like we were ready for Phillip II, Napoleon Bonaparte and Adolf Hitler. My money`s on the Royal Navy, a few Spitfire`s and Dad`s Army seeing you off.

Seriously though, has anyone actually seen the CW conquered in WIF?

(in reply to chacal83000)
Post #: 2
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/12/2009 9:41:41 PM   
chacal83000

Philip II, Napoleon and Adolf were amators.... wait for me ;) And by the way they had only one chance to succeed. I can try again and again ;) If evrything go well I hope to convert londonians to schnaps ! ....

I never saw CW conquered in WiF, but in fact i have seen it tried only once... and by a noob player.... me.. I suppose that it never arrive because most of player try a good old Barbarossa..

--
Ludwik

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 4:44:14 AM   
LiquidSky

I have landed a in a few different games, but have never managed to do more then perhaps take London.  The problem is not air or even the sea (although a few low rolls by the british, and its game over), but the large land army the British can field in England.  Your time frame is also rather short, because the American army will arrive in late 1941.  Realistically, all you are attempting to do is to make the British react to you, while your African army can make some gains, and to try and inflict some strategic damage (such as destroying the London blue factories).  But for all that you are buying units that will not help you in Russia.

The war will be won or lost in Russia.  Dont let the allies suck you into another theatre.  The CW are just a gnat until the US enters, where they upgrade to mosquito :)  In 1943 is when the allies will get going, and if you have finished off the Russians (or are finishing them off) you have won.

Post #: 4
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 6:50:19 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I would say it is in practice impossible to conquer Canada and thus conquer CW.

I've seen Great Britain conquered. I also seen South Africa and New Zeeland conquered. The only attempt I seen on Australia was made by myself and I was stopped before I even got one factory (lots of USA reinforcements arrived and I sort of counted that a success to get them to Australia instead of a few other places). I never seen a serious attempt on India. Both India and Australia seems to be realistic to conquer.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 7:21:56 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

England, I arrive !!

Warspite1

Just you try it sunshine. We`ll be ready for you when you do - just like we were ready for Phillip II, Napoleon Bonaparte and Adolf Hitler. My money`s on the Royal Navy, a few Spitfire`s and Dad`s Army seeing you off.

Those Saxons and Normans are some mean sailors. And they valiantly defend their war loot even on land and in the air. They have a tradition of winning and they stubbornly intend to keep fighting until they win. So all that try be ready for a trashing...

< Message edited by Orm -- 4/13/2009 5:00:07 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 2:43:34 PM   
micheljq

quote:

quote:

-Classic Barbarossa ?
-1942 Barbarossa ?
-Seelowe ?
-Mare Nostrum ?
-Something else ??

England, I arrive !!

Warspite1

William the Conqueror, did, in 1066. Ah those Normans! Harald Hardrada tried too, it did land but Harold the Saxon vanquished him.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 2:45:32 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

The war will be won or lost in Russia.  Dont let the allies suck you into another theatre.  The CW are just a gnat until the US enters, where they upgrade to mosquito :)  In 1943 is when the allies will get going, and if you have finished off the Russians (or are finishing them off) you have won.

True but not 100% agreed. I saw games where USSR was in good shape but the Allies were unlucky or used bad strategies, and Axis won nevertheless, even with a strong USSR.

I want to play Commonwealth on my first game, it's my prefered because of the lots of theaters where it is involved and the many possibilities. I find it most challenging to play. And I need to further increase my skills at playing it. I did not played Axis much often, I don't know why.

< Message edited by micheljq -- 4/13/2009 2:51:47 PM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 8
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 3:51:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

quote:

-Classic Barbarossa ?
-1942 Barbarossa ?
-Seelowe ?
-Mare Nostrum ?
-Something else ??

England, I arrive !!

Warspite1

William the Conqueror, did, in 1066. Ah those Normans! Harald Hardrada tried too, it did land but Harold the Saxon vanquished him.

Warspite 1

Yes - you see how far back you have to go back for the last time we were beaten at home? Not bad is it, one defeat in almost a thousand years and even that was a flukey shot in extra time!!

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 9
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 4:19:56 PM   
gridley

Yeah the Common Wealth is fun to play. I love being on the ropes for a while and having a mobile army. I mean, in a game where there is no fog of war I was able to do more surprise landings as the CW than any other. Basically just being a pest till D-Day...sometimes more if the axis makes a big enough mistake.

Now I just have to remember how I did it.

Gridley

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 10
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 4:24:48 PM   
chacal83000

One time per 1000 years ! Not that bad. Hmmm, we are in 2009 ! Time for another one, preapre to make storage of tea !!

micheljq : Isn't CW one of the most difficult to play ? Never played it beacause I found it's ... daunting : lot of fronts, lot of thinks to do and a lot of possibilities to forget something important. Must be fun anyway !

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 11
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 4:49:58 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I would say it is in practice impossible to conquer Canada and thus conquer CW.

I've seen Great Britain conquered. I also seen South Africa and New Zeeland conquered. The only attempt I seen on Australia was made by myself and I was stopped before I even got one factory (lots of USA reinforcements arrived and I sort of counted that a success to get them to Australia instead of a few other places). I never seen a serious attempt on India. Both India and Australia seems to be realistic to conquer.

I have conquerered India before.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 12
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 4:56:48 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: gridley

Yeah the Common Wealth is fun to play. I love being on the ropes for a while and having a mobile army. I mean, in a game where there is no fog of war I was able to do more surprise landings as the CW than any other. Basically just being a pest till D-Day...sometimes more if the axis makes a big enough mistake.

Now I just have to remember how I did it.

Gridley

Just prepare your surrender speech Gridley. We remember our strategies.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to gridley)
Post #: 13
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 4:58:09 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

One time per 1000 years ! Not that bad. Hmmm, we are in 2009 ! Time for another one, preapre to make storage of tea !!

micheljq : Isn't CW one of the most difficult to play ? Never played it beacause I found it's ... daunting : lot of fronts, lot of thinks to do and a lot of possibilities to forget something important. Must be fun anyway !

To me the Japanese are the toughest nation to play well.

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 14
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 5:17:37 PM   
chacal83000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

To me the Japanese are the toughest nation to play well.

Good Hunting.

MR

Of course theye are, their position is hopeless... but at least you can focus on objectives, with CW it's like there was too much to do with too few...

--
Ludwik

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 15
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 5:37:22 PM   
micheljq

quote:

I have conquerered India before.

Good Hunting.

MR

I saw Australia conquered once by Japan.

I also saw Japan kicking USA's arse. Sinking 4 U.S. carriers in a battle while Japan lost a few NAVs and a carrier damaged, and another battle where U.S. lost again many carriers in a simple naval battle in the same campaign. USA sent a task force against a Japan fleet, but he underestimated the power of the nippons NAVs in the same zone.

USA did go as far as the Philipines but was stopped there. The Japanese player felt so secure that he did use 2 offensive chits in a land action to practically eliminate the chinese communists and take their capital.

< Message edited by micheljq -- 4/13/2009 5:42:36 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 5:47:44 PM   
composer99

I have been the recipient of two Sealions in recent memory as the CW player; one failed and one succeeded (by which I mean the UK was conquered). I have heard of several games where the Axis had done severe damage to the CW economy or conquer the UK. Some of them turn out well for the Axis, some don't.

As much as the game is won or lost in USSR, the nice thing about crippling or knocking out the UK is that it severely isolates the USSR, and the increased need for US forces in Europe or propping up the CW weakens their war effort against Japan, and adds an extra layer to the European Axis' defensive perimeter. Absolutely worth the effort.

Both the Sealion or Seal-the-Med strategies are good options for Germany in 1941 and can assist in keeping the Western Allies off your back for a spell while you turn aound and come to grips with the mighty Soviet Bear (which you must do, probably by '42 at the latest). On the other hand, a 1941 Barbarossa is very hard for the USSR to defend against, the trade-off being you give the Western powers more time, space, and flexibility to strike at you.

~ Composer99

Post #: 17
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 6:01:42 PM   
gridley

Yes, I would have to agree the Japanese are a tough nation to play...very rewarding when played well.

The problem we found after a while, when we were all half decent players, was the Chinese front basically came down to 2 maybe 3 rolls of the dice, lose those you lose the front. Other fronts in the game were far more forgiving. It's incredible how level the designers were able to make that front. On taht note, I wonder if random computer generated numbers will be kinder to me than the dice guys.

That being said the Japanese were fun to play having knocked China out of the game or not.

Gridley

Post #: 18
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 6:04:27 PM   
Mad Russian

In the same game I defeated India, my German partner crushed Russia. We finished the game in Summer of 1942.

That was the most crushing victory we've done. There are more on the horizon though.....

As for what my/our opening strategies will be....line up and we'll show you.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/13/2009 6:07:12 PM >

(in reply to gridley)
Post #: 19
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 7:34:39 PM   
CrusssDaddy

Once I have purchased the game, installed it on my computer, familiarized myself with the interface, prepared my gaming area with tasty food and drink, and selected the 'World in Flames 1939-1945' scenario, I'm going to roleplay a strenuous diplomatic initiative by all parties to try to find common cause and prevent an outbreak of hostilities. If nations can just work together to ensure that common goals are met and individual needs worked toward, then the greatest tragedy the world has ever known may be avoided.

War is never the answer.

Post #: 20
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 7:48:10 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

War is never the answer.

It's almost always the answer in WiF!!

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 21
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 8:49:29 PM   
chacal83000

@CrusssDaddy :
Maybe wait for an addon or MwiF product 2 if Polif or DoD are implented, maybe there will be no war ? Not very fun from a WiF average player point of view IMO...

...Let me go, I have a invasionplan to prepare... First : planning the production...

--
Ludwik

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 22
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 9:25:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

@CrusssDaddy :
Maybe wait for an addon or MwiF product 2 if Polif or DoD are implented, maybe there will be no war ? Not very fun from a WiF average player point of view IMO...

...Let me go, I have a invasionplan to prepare... First : planning the production...

If you are planning production, you might want to read the section on that in the Players Manual thread (3.4.??).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 23
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/13/2009 9:31:13 PM   
Zorachus99

As Germany Conquered these non-historical locations: Great Britain, USSR, Turkey, Spain, Bulgaria, Egypt, Iceland
As Japan Conquered these non-historical locations: Australia

I've played quite a few games but still:
1) Haven't invaded Pearl Harbor
2) Seriously invaded India
3) For now 20 years I have yet to be in a game where China was conquered before the Allies capitulated. Strange isn't it?

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 24
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/14/2009 2:18:44 AM   
Missouri Rebel

What will I try in my veryfirst game?

I will try not to get frustrated at the scope and size involved and press through the learning curve. After achieving that I will try to play a multi-player game. That's where it seems like WiF will shine. You guys are fortunate to have played so many great games over the years with various outcomes. I am enjoying reading these accounts.

You veterans probably already know about French World in Flames Page but, for those noobs like me, this site is very informative. Scroll down to GAME REPORTS. There you will find several short AAR's of sort that show the general flow of WiF games. Very cool indeed.

Hope it's o.k. to post the link here.

mo reb

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 25
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/14/2009 3:00:17 AM   
Mad Russian

In all the games we've played we never actually saw China defeated as a nation either. We did destroy the Chinese armed forces on several occasions and had the Chinese down to only holding Urumchi.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Missouri Rebel)
Post #: 26
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/14/2009 3:49:06 AM   
brian brian

I will launch a land war on the Asian continent between Russia and Japan, just to see what happens.

Post #: 27
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/14/2009 5:38:55 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

In all the games we've played we never actually saw China defeated as a nation either. We did destroy the Chinese armed forces on several occasions and had the Chinese down to only holding Urumchi.

Good Hunting.

MR

They'd be defeated then. Urumchi has no factory.

Paul

Post #: 28
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/14/2009 9:37:58 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

They'd be defeated then. Urumchi has no factory.

In one (or more) of the older WIF versions you needed to capture Urumchi to knock out China.

< Message edited by Orm -- 4/14/2009 9:38:10 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 29
RE: What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? - 4/14/2009 10:26:34 AM   
Maesphil74

My first game of MWIF will be my first game of WIF all together...

I'll probably print the manual, grab myself some Duvels (mmmm) and have a good read for several nights.

Then i'll have a go at the tutorials

My first real game will probably the Barbarossa scenario (russian perspective).

I really look forward to the complete war scenario...
This game is going to absorb me big time. I hope I'll have some social life left.
My better half doesn't know what's coming the end of July

Phil

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> What will you try in Your first MWiF game ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI