Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Female gamers, or: love at first byte

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Female gamers, or: love at first byte Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 4:53:50 PM   
SlickWilhelm

My marriage failed a couple of years ago for reasons other than gaming, but my ex-wife was never a supporter of my hobby. She never appreciated the fact that some men hunt/fish, some men do woodworking, and some do computer gaming for a hobby.

What's a poor war gamer to do?

Now I'm in a relationship with a woman who not only supports my hobby, but is a gamer herself! We spend quality time gaming side-by-side...how romantic!

Can life get any better?

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Post #: 1
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 5:06:48 PM   
Joshuatree

I've heard about this rare kind of species... so they *do* exist do they? I thought it was rumours only...

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 2
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 5:11:02 PM   
PunkReaper

Glad you are happy.... My wife isn't a gamer but is quite happy to do her hobbies while I do mine. Some years we even shared the same hobby room listening to music while playing away at our own thing.... It doesn't have to be about doing the same thing just about giving each other the space to do your own thing...vive la difference. And we have been married 27 years yesterday.

Post #: 3
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 5:33:51 PM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Some years we even shared the same hobby room listening to music while playing away at our own thing....

Huh? I told you them English guys were funny,

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 4
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 5:39:28 PM   
PunkReaper

oh yes... no denying it.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 5
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 6:00:07 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Now I'm in a relationship with a woman who not only supports my hobby, but is a gamer herself! We spend quality time gaming side-by-side...how romantic!

Can life get any better?

"Romantic dinner in light of Heavy Bolter"

Or how about this:

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 6
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 6:22:58 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

Can life get any better?

Yes, but who wins? And how much fighting does it Cause????

And if you handle the loss well, what kind of gamer are you anyway

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

Post #: 7
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 8:44:11 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Way to go Punk, I've been in the trenches now for 18 years myself, and no, she don't game. Oh at first, dabbled into some D&D, but now merely grins feebly at my enthusiastic descriptions of such and such a game ( rather like one does to victims of mental retardation, or the insanely naive)
Nah, she won't play, but my youngest, now there's one who shows potential.
Cheers, and if you got one of those " diamonds in the ruff", enjoy !!

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

Post #: 8
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 9:32:33 PM   
ilovestrategy

We've been married for 18 1/2 years. She doesn't game but she always knows where I am, either helping that wimp Frodo out in Lord of the Rings Online, turning back the axis in Gary Grigsby's World at War, ruling the world in Civilization II or helping humanity conquer the galaxy in Sins of a Solar Empire or Galactic Civilization II.  

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 9
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 9:40:58 PM   
rickier65

Actually, my wife and I both played our first wargame against each other. Shortly after we were married, we were browsing in a Kroch's and Brentanos Bookstore and saw something that "looked" like a game, it was called Conquerors and put out by some company named SPI.

My wife was interested in the time, primarily Latin - Greek history. She had a thing for languages. We had played some Risk before with friends, but this looked different. WSe decided what the heck - back then we coulnd't afford to go out for entertainment so we got the game.

Of course, this was 39 years ago - we played this game (it actually had a couple games in the plastic tray box with clear plastic cover (still have it infact). And we enjoyed it.

we moved on to some others, ended up getting a subscription to S&T - played against for a few years - then in mid-80's she decided she didn't enjoy them anymore - life had of course gotten a lot more busy - including two children by then - and she had other things she wanted to spend her time on.

I kinda stopped playing for while - then got a computer - and shortly tereafter, my first computer wargame - and I was back at it!

Wife and I celeberated our 39th anniv just a couple of months ago. And she's fine with me spending time playing "my" games - .

Rick

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 10
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 10:30:27 PM   
PunkReaper

39 years married..... don't hear that very often these days.... congrats

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 11
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/9/2009 11:21:40 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Lucky Dog!! Good luck too You both.
quote:

My marriage failed a couple of years ago for reasons other than gaming, but my ex-wife was never a supporter of my hobby. She never appreciated the fact that some men hunt/fish, some men do woodworking, and some do computer gaming for a hobby.

What's a poor war gamer to do?

Can life get any better?

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 12
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/10/2009 3:23:46 AM   
Missouri Rebel

I hide my wargames under the mattress in hopes that they will not be discovered. Then when the lights are low and everyone is fast asleep I bring them out to 'study' them. My secret is still safe.

Actually, my wife played a little Axis and Allies but it really wasn't her thing. She only did so to appease me. She does however support my Hobby/addiction and even feigns interest at the look of some of my computer games. I guess after 18 years we have a mutual understanding. She doesn't question me about the latest game and I don't mention yet another purse. I would ask her how many purses she needs that rarely get used but, we all know where that would lead.

Straight to the ASL closet.

mo reb

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 13
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/10/2009 3:58:12 AM   
Randomizer

I was already board gaming when I met my wife and she quickly got used to stepping over Jutland on the living room floor or the dining room table covered in GDW's Assault.  She used to tolerate me leaving SPI's Terrible Swift Sword or War in the East set up in the basement when I went off on exercise for ten or twelve weeks.  I would return to find them carefully preserved but a bit dusty.  Once computers came along she got into some gaming but was never into them like myself.  Every now and then though she will go on the occasional binge playing Civ 3, MOO2 or (believe it or not) the orginal X-Com - UFO Defense played in the DOS Box.  We've been married 29-years and lived in sin for five before that so I suspect she might be a keeper.

Best Regards

(in reply to Missouri Rebel)
Post #: 14
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/10/2009 7:13:14 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joshuatree
I've heard about this rare kind of species... so they *do* exist do they? I thought it was rumours only...

Sure, my wife even likes the occasional (light) wargame like BattleCry - nothing she likes better than crush, kill and destroy poor ol' me in a game

Next Saturday, we'll be visiting the wargame convention in Ghent together and she won't be the only wife there who's actively participating.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 15
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/13/2009 2:42:58 AM   
Perturabo

I would never marry a non-gamer. 

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 16
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/13/2009 4:14:21 AM   
jwarrenw13

Married 35 years.  Wife has never minded my playing wargames and sports simulations games, even though she has had no interest in them at all.  Her reasoning is that I'm at home and doing something I enjoy.  She enjoys crafts, things like crochet and needlpoint and things like that.  I think she sees it as similar to that, my hobby.   There's also the idea that I spend less on gaming than I might on some other hobbies.  It was just never an issue.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 17
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/13/2009 11:45:35 AM   
Scott_WAR

I have yet to find a female gamer close to my age (almost 40). I see a lot of girls my oldest sons age(18) that play games(lucky bastard and doesnt even know it). My daughter(16) also plays games, so it seems the next generation may actually see more eye to eye when it comes to gaming.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 18
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/13/2009 4:46:25 PM   
Kuokkanen

My little sister plays games too. In christmas 2007 I bought her In the Groove (PC dance game), and she was all over it. Last christmas I bought her 2 Riddick movies (DVD versions) and Escape from Butcher Bay. Gotta ask her has she played game through yet. It seems that her current boyfriend doesn't play as much, if at all

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 19
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/13/2009 11:01:48 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Can life get any better?

What works for some, I guess. That would eventually drive me nuts, I suspect. To be honest I'd far prefer Mrs Herts remain a non-gamer and stick to playing her saxophone for recreation instead; you need quality time apart 'doing your own thing' as well as together for a relationship to last IMHO.

Post #: 20
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/14/2009 12:30:33 PM   
marky

the female gaming species exists, but it is exceedingly rare. we must now turn on animal planet and see if we can find them...

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 21
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/15/2009 6:28:37 PM   
sysrkm

Hey Slick,

Has she got a sister???

Regards,

sysrkm aka rob

Post #: 22
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/15/2009 7:12:32 PM   
Mike Parker

My fiance' is a gamer so I am loving that.  She hasn't played the wargames I love but is interested in them.  We used to play a tactical level web based mech game (battletech stuff) and she really liked that and had a good head for it.  And she is way hot!  I am sooooo lucky!

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 23
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/15/2009 8:07:31 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: sysrkm

Hey Slick,

Has she got a sister???

Regards,

sysrkm aka rob

She does!

Alas, a married sister. Sorry.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 24
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/17/2009 2:25:45 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

We used to play a tactical level web based mech game (battletech stuff)

Neveron?

MekWars

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 25
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/17/2009 2:50:18 PM   
06 Maestro

The fairer sex has an ability to love most of what you do before marriage. You should not be surprised at all if the very next day after you get married she is no longer supportive of some of your activities. Retraining your habits to suite her takes time-she needs to start on day one.

I would not believe a woman was a gamer unless I saw her game collection-one which she acquired before I met her. It would be nice-I suppose, if she was a gamer, but not necessary. I have been married to a non gamer for over 20 years.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 26
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/17/2009 2:55:00 PM   
EUBanana

My other half isn't a gamer but is used to it.

She's one of the few women in the world whose requests can be deflected without argument by the words, "After this battle?".

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 27
RE: Female gamers, or: love at first byte - 4/19/2009 7:49:52 AM   
LST Express

Married 32 years and my wife doesn't mind my wargaming a bit. Maybe because it babysits me.......

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Female gamers, or: love at first byte Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI