Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supremacy at Sea?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Supremacy at Sea? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supremacy at Sea? - 3/12/2009 11:19:14 PM   
GBS

Has anyone tried this game? How does it compare to WIP? Is it worth buying?
Post #: 1
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/12/2009 11:28:18 PM   
modrow

I did not try it, but looked at it with big eyes as well, asking myself whether it may be interesting. So I second your request and hope for loads of valuable info.

Note that this may find more attention if one moves it out of the AE sub-forum to the WitP general forum.

Hartwig

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 2
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/13/2009 12:41:57 AM   
Richrd

I bought it. I tried to make a N. Atlantic scenario starting in 39, as opposed to the stock 40, 41 scen. Couldn't do it. Shelved it for now, but I'll try again after a few more patches. The ship designer thingie is kinda lame.

Richrd

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 3
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/13/2009 1:00:46 AM   
jjax

I dont have the game but i browsed their forums.

It seems that they are having interface problesm. More specifically, the game is not regeristing mouse clicks on buttons.

They are not planning to fix the problem right away but they do offer some advice: make sure you click firmly. It does not instill a lot of confidence does it?

If any one who has the game would like to add to this post feel free (i hate commenting on stuff i dont own...and yet i do)

--JJAX

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 4
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/13/2009 5:08:08 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Sounds lke it blows chunks....

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 5
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/13/2009 11:21:21 AM   
Halsey

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjax

I dont have the game but i browsed their forums.

It seems that they are having interface problesm. More specifically, the game is not regeristing mouse clicks on buttons.

They are not planning to fix the problem right away but they do offer some advice: make sure you click firmly. It does not instill a lot of confidence does it?

If any one who has the game would like to add to this post feel free (i hate commenting on stuff i dont own...and yet i do)

That's funny!

How do you firmly "click" a mouse, without breaking it.

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 6
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/13/2009 5:01:05 PM   
Grotius

I bought it too. Indeed there are some UI issues. For me it's not so much the firmness of mouse-clicking as the location thereof; in one case, the click hot-spot is a single pixel in the top-right of the screen, as the game doesn't fit my monitor correctly.

Beyond that, the gameplay itself doesn't necessarily suit me. I played the intro WITP scenario, and as I feared, it had the AI marching half the IJN clear across the Pacific to California. Whereupon I sank most of it. :)

Still, the system has potential, and I think it may work better on an operational scale than on the strategic scale I tried. In particular, the Med scenario looks promising. I like the hour-by-hour execution of turns; that's a cool idea. I'll play with it some more at some point.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 7
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/16/2009 10:48:06 PM   
MemoryLeak

I bought it the first day out. Always a mistake and someday I might remember that. I was excited about it because I downloaded the manual and it seemed really interesting. I haven't played for a long time now. The 2IC(my AI helper) changed too many of my decisions. It is a constant battle between him and me as to where fleets go. And you can't attack specific hexes for invasions. And I will never undertand the supply if I live to be a 100.
I like the information screens and the layout for the data you need to fight a war. The interface is not friendly because it is inconsistent for many tasks, including exiting from a form.
Main map screen is too busy/cluttered. And I cannot get immersed in it. I feel more like a spectator than a participant..
The overall premise is good but it is going to need some work. IMHO.

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 8
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/17/2009 4:48:14 AM   
madgamer2

much can e learned by reading some of the posts in there forum and downloading some information they have on there site. It uses a totally different way of simulating navel and to a degree land warfare. Thus they have there problems but have a very good design team and are planing to add things like a WW I module and expanded land battles.
You can be presented a plan given your choice of 4 stances..timid,cautious,aggressive, very aggressive.you can just let your second in comand do it all or take part at various levels. You control prduction and can design your own ships and other interesting things. Do check out there forum and site.

Madgamer

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 9
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/17/2009 5:34:14 AM   
dudalb_slith

Frankly, I wish they would concentrate on a tactical Surface Naval Warfare game, since one is sorely needed since "Fighting Steel" seems to be unplayble on most modern video cards.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 10
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/17/2009 6:06:38 AM   
Terminus

Why are you talking about this here, in the AE subforum?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 11
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/17/2009 1:37:38 PM   
Akos Gergely

Man have you tried Jutland? ! ? I kow it's not the same era but you should test it if you like Tactical level naval games. It's everything that FS could not live up to.
On the other hand it will tax your graphics card at higher resolutions ;)...

(in reply to dudalb_slith)
Post #: 12
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/17/2009 5:42:05 PM   
tanksone

quote:

ORIGINAL: csatahajos

Man have you tried Jutland? ! ? I kow it's not the same era but you should test it if you like Tactical level naval games. It's everything that FS could not live up to.

Hi, the DRM they use to quote Ron, "blows chunks".....

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 13
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/17/2009 6:29:33 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

it's not quite as pointless as the "Near Miss" thread....

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/17/2009 7:40:00 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

it's not quite as pointless as the "Near Miss" thread....

We are looking for pointless time consuming threads to keep us occupied from otherwise nagging you to death to release the bloody game. Well,you did ask.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 15
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/18/2009 10:56:08 AM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

ORIGINAL: csatahajos

Yes, I've tried Jutland, the 'trial' edition. I can't get on with it at all, seems what they think is intuitive *isn't*, for me.
Looks pretty, though. Maybe it would be better if I had a printed manual. It's still on my drive, but I'm thinking that it's going to go when I next need to make space.

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 16
RE: Supremacy at Sea? - 3/18/2009 11:48:34 AM   
Dili

I saw the pdf introduction with a Mediterranean scenario, SM-81 bombers in 1941 and 1942 nah.... at that time they were already in transport squadrons...

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Supremacy at Sea? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI