Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Plane art help needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Plane art help needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Plane art help needed - 3/9/2009 10:54:32 PM   
scottott999

While I wait for AE to make an appearance, I've been trying to improve my artistic talents. I decided to try and make some "what if" prototype aircraft but am having some difficulty getting the end results that I seek.

The top aircraft is an image that I came across that I cleaned up slightly. If has both a metallic finish and kind of gloss on the top to give the appearence of the sun shinning down on it.

Below are some line drawings that I modified and colorized but I can't seem to find a tool in either paint.net or Photoshop 2 that gives me that shine affect. I'm not sure if it's me or if the tools I'm using just don't have that functionality.

Any adivce would be appreciated.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Plane art help needed - 3/9/2009 11:00:07 PM   
Cathartes

I'm not familiar with paint.net and I don't really know what Photoshop 2 (2.0 elements?) is capable of, but if you can use layers to put the shine on an image. You will have more control over this effect and you can change it easily without changing your base image.  Your layer settings and the 'color' you use (probably white, but can depend) will be how you control your degree of shine.

(in reply to scottott999)
Post #: 2
RE: Plane art help needed - 3/10/2009 5:38:10 AM   
Crimguy

What he said. I used to skin Jane's F18 and would make a shine layer. Use the airbrush tool and set the transparency to your taste. Merge your layers and your set.

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 3
RE: Plane art help needed - 3/10/2009 8:37:01 AM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: scottott999

While I wait for AE to make an appearance, I've been trying to improve my artistic talents. I decided to try and make some "what if" prototype aircraft but am having some difficulty getting the end results that I seek.

The top aircraft is an image that I came across that I cleaned up slightly. If has both a metallic finish and kind of gloss on the top to give the appearence of the sun shinning down on it.

Below are some line drawings that I modified and colorized but I can't seem to find a tool in either paint.net or Photoshop 2 that gives me that shine affect. I'm not sure if it's me or if the tools I'm using just don't have that functionality.

Any adivce would be appreciated.

It's not fantastic, but it's a start. I'll pm you the paint.NET image so you can have a look at the different layers

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 4
RE: Plane art help needed - 3/10/2009 11:00:03 PM   
scottott999

Thanks all for the quick reply!  I really appreicate the advice as I was definitely going down the wrong path trying to make adjustments all in the same layer not to mention the frustration. 

Dixie, the PM you sent me was fantastic.  Actually seeing the different layers was extremely helpful with grasping the concept.    I tried looking though some of the previous forum threads for a tutorial on how you guys created your art but I didn't really find anything.  Perhaps you might want to post something of the sorts on your web site for us newer guys.  Even for the non-inspiring artist I think its pretty interesting to see the transformation from a line drawing to final artwork that ends up in the game.

By the way I think you did a great job on the Kaiser

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 5
RE: Plane art help needed - 3/11/2009 5:59:52 PM   
Akos Gergely

Wow! Great to see someone doing art for my beloved never-were navy planes. Will be one of the first ones to add to my AE scenarios :D. Please keep us informed about the developements.

Post #: 6
RE: Plane art help needed - 3/11/2009 6:06:18 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: scottott999

Thanks all for the quick reply!  I really appreicate the advice as I was definitely going down the wrong path trying to make adjustments all in the same layer not to mention the frustration. 

Dixie, the PM you sent me was fantastic.  Actually seeing the different layers was extremely helpful with grasping the concept.    I tried looking though some of the previous forum threads for a tutorial on how you guys created your art but I didn't really find anything.  Perhaps you might want to post something of the sorts on your web site for us newer guys.  Even for the non-inspiring artist I think its pretty interesting to see the transformation from a line drawing to final artwork that ends up in the game.

By the way I think you did a great job on the Kaiser

The pic is just an example of what you can do with it. With more time you could make a much better example, patience is the key here. Some of the stuff on the one I showed you was done far more quickly and is far more exagerrated than I would usually do. Hopefully it's shown you a way to do it, it's a slippery slope though...

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 7
RE: Plane art help needed - 4/6/2009 12:44:04 PM   
Akos Gergely

Any news on these sides? I'd like to get permission to use these in an upcoming mod near you in the near future (after AE release :)).

Also any planetops?

If there is any volunteer plane artist who is not completely overwhelmed with making AE to be the greatest wargame ever could lend us a heloing hand would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Plane art help needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI