Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

couple of questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> couple of questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
couple of questions - 3/6/2009 4:40:52 PM   
willycube

Hard to get my feelings in order here, all of us are looking for a great WW2 game which has been ellusive to say the least, I have never played WIF board game and the only thing I know about it comes in the name of your forums which are excellent. The only board games I had were Tactics and Avalon Hills 3rd Reich, when Talonsoft bought the rights to put it on a computer the gaming world rejoiced. If there was a bigger disaster than the computer version I would like to know, the graphics were good the rules were good but the AI was terrible which led me to the conclusion that no one and I mean no one can do a good AI, not there fault the technology is not available yet I guess. The AI of a good chess game is excellent, the reason I guess you are only dealing with 64 squares, not many hundreds of squares like in a war game. I play Battlefronts SC series which are well done but they are beer and pretzles games, meaning they are quick turn games with not a whole lot of data to comprehend but enjoyable. I just downloaded the rules of WIF and have started to read them [whew] and there are many. Finally a couple of questions that have probably been answered before but would appreciate help on this. First will the computer stop you from accidently putting a naval, air, or ground unit in the wrong hex? Will the die roll be shown on screen or just the results, when a unit of any kind takes damage wil it show on the units counter, and last will all units be a nato symbol or can the counters be changed say to tank for an armored division. Any help would be appreciated.

Willy

< Message edited by willycube -- 3/6/2009 4:41:28 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: couple of questions - 3/6/2009 5:02:04 PM   
micheljq

I know some PC games where the AI is good, even excellent. I think of all the Civilization series, Company of Heroes, there must be other ones I forget. Good AI on PC games is actually feasible.

World in Flames the board game is really, really exciting, I suggest you try WiFFE some time. Matrix did many PC games with good AI, Uncommon Valor and Korsun Pocket are good examples I know. For MWiF, i think it will be good when it will be released we will see.

(in reply to willycube)
Post #: 2
RE: couple of questions - 3/6/2009 5:17:15 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: willycube

Hard to get my feelings in order here, all of us are looking for a great WW2 game which has been ellusive to say the least, I have never played WIF board game and the only thing I know about it comes in the name of your forums which are excellent. The only board games I had were Tactics and Avalon Hills 3rd Reich, when Talonsoft bought the rights to put it on a computer the gaming world rejoiced. If there was a bigger disaster than the computer version I would like to know, the graphics were good the rules were good but the AI was terrible which led me to the conclusion that no one and I mean no one can do a good AI, not there fault the technology is not available yet I guess. The AI of a good chess game is excellent, the reason I guess you are only dealing with 64 squares, not many hundreds of squares like in a war game. I play Battlefronts SC series which are well done but they are beer and pretzles games, meaning they are quick turn games with not a whole lot of data to comprehend but enjoyable. I just downloaded the rules of WIF and have started to read them [whew] and there are many. Finally a couple of questions that have probably been answered before but would appreciate help on this. First will the computer stop you from accidently putting a naval, air, or ground unit in the wrong hex? Will the die roll be shown on screen or just the results, when a unit of any kind takes damage wil it show on the units counter, and last will all units be a nato symbol or can the counters be changed say to tank for an armored division. Any help would be appreciated.

Willy

You might want to read the tutorial threads (an index is at the top of this forum). The tutorials were designed for player who know nothing about WIF. THe threads have the long gory history of their development, but if you simply look at the pretty pictures and read the pages where towards the end of the thread where the pictures have been finalized, you might find it easier going than the ADG WIF FE rules booklet.

Whether the AI Oppoenent plays well remains to be seen.

Illegal moves will not be allowed and MWIF will enforce all the rules, including those which have been deemed 'fuzzy' by over-the-board players (Harry Rowland, the designer of WIF has answered over 700 questions on the rules and the program incoporates his answers).

Changing the visual elements is possible to some degree, but I consider that an element of a WIF "design kit" which is not part of MWIF product 1.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 3/6/2009 5:18:02 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to willycube)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> couple of questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI