Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weapon description?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Weapon description? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weapon description? - 2/23/2009 9:16:57 AM   
DonMichUP

I can't find in the manual any information on the various ship and aircraft weapons that we can use in battle. Is there a place to learn what various missiles are, and what they are best used for? For example, I know what an "ARM" is, but there are others such as HARM, etc, including many with numbers attached to their name. Some kind of list would be nice
Post #: 1
RE: Weapon description? - 2/23/2009 2:44:16 PM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

Hi,

While this sort of list is beyond us now, I think it would very much benefit us to provide something like what you ask for. Some of it is provided in the Database feature if the database editor has provided the text description. Select a unit, press Database in the Unit Status window, and scroll to the bottom. You can also browse for details on other platforms and their components.

The acronym usually describes the general purpose of the system, i.e. AIM - Air Intercept Missile. The number tells you what model the system is. A letter may tell you what revision of that model. Capabilities will vary vastly between say AIM-7M and AIM-54C. While their general purpose is the same, you really will feel a difference in their performance.

But you can find a lot of the information in wikipedia and some other great reference sites.

Like this one.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/index.html

Still, a general understanding of the acronyms would probably be a good place to to start.
http://www.fas.org/news/reference/lexicon/aca.htm

Anyone else have some good references to post? And please don't say Janes.

-edit: and wouldn't you know if I checked our own wiki manual I would find a decent reference:
http://computerharpoon.com/wiki/main/index.php?title=Glossary

Thanks,

< Message edited by rsharp@advancedgamin -- 2/23/2009 2:55:21 PM >

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to DonMichUP)
Revisions: 1 | Post #: 2
RE: Weapon description? - 2/23/2009 2:51:20 PM   
FransKoenz

Hoi,

Here is perhaps a good link for you.......

http://www.designation-systems.net/

It includes a list of US and non-US weapons systems. It is in fact a designations overview, but with copying and pasting it into your search-engine you might find detailed information.

Hope this helps.

Greetz,
Taitennek.

PS. Who the f*ck is Jane?

(in reply to DonMichUP)
Post #: 3
RE: Weapon description? - 2/23/2009 3:17:39 PM   
CV32

The Designation Systems website is much more than just an overview of names and numbers, just to be clear. Clicking on individual weapons in the index will give you a good description of each weapon and its variants.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Jane's Information Group, btw. Its just a public source like any other, and should be cross referenced against as many other reputable sources as you can find, in order to weed out obviously wrong data. (Keeping in mind that these are all public sources of what is sometimes very closely held information).

The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapon Systems, edited by Norman Friedman, is another excellent source, but its a book (rather than online, except excerpts from older copies through Google Books), and quite expensive.

I should add that most folks are probably not as fanatical about this stuff as the DB authors and scenario writers, and Googling any particular weapon, sensor, etc, will probably provide more than plenty of the kind of info that the player is looking for.

(Why haven't the HC/HCE and H3/ANW lines ever had a text description capability in their databases for weapons and sensors and such, I wonder? )

< Message edited by CV32 -- 2/23/2009 3:27:06 PM >

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to FransKoenz)
Post #: 4
RE: Weapon description? - 2/23/2009 7:01:35 PM   
DonMichUP

Thank you all for the info. Although game play itself is the best teacher, it'll definitely help me with this learning curve. At GlobalSecurity.org, I found a great reference page that will help me learn what weapon is used for what. Maybe it will help other newbees too(?). It's at http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/missile.htm . My problem is that I need to attack inland basis, have exhausted all of my Tomahawks (there's a lesson learned lol), and need to take out the SAM sites before I lose any more planes. Been to the base only to have to abort the mission because "weapon not capable". So, I'll use that page, and other sources within the game, as a reference and learning tool. Thanks again!

(in reply to rsharp@advancedgamin)
Post #: 5
RE: Weapon description? - 2/23/2009 7:05:53 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV32
Why haven't the HC/HCE and H3/ANW lines ever had a text description capability in their databases for weapons and sensors and such, I wonder?

Russell informs me that text descriptions for weapons and sensors is already built into the ANW database structure, and whether any information actually appears there will depend on the database. Thanks, Russell.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 6
RE: Weapon description? - 2/23/2009 7:50:15 PM   
FreekS

quote:

ORIGINAL: DonMichUP

Thank you all for the info. Although game play itself is the best teacher, it'll definitely help me with this learning curve. At GlobalSecurity.org, I found a great reference page that will help me learn what weapon is used for what. Maybe it will help other newbees too(?). It's at http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/missile.htm . My problem is that I need to attack inland basis, have exhausted all of my Tomahawks (there's a lesson learned lol), and need to take out the SAM sites before I lose any more planes. Been to the base only to have to abort the mission because "weapon not capable". So, I'll use that page, and other sources within the game, as a reference and learning tool. Thanks again!

Don,

When taking out SAM sites and ground targets:
- be aware of the minimum release altitude of your weapons; that is usually mentioned in the bottom of the weapon description (in PDB anyway). If you are too high or low for the weapon you may enter the enemies kill zone without being able to fire
- be aware that ARMs (anti-radiation missiles) like HARM, Shrike and ALARM can only be fired if the enemy radar is up. However you do not need a precise fix on the tranmitter, aiming at the SAM symbol inside an uncertainty zone is possible.
- Try (this is hard) to get your planes and weapons on target at the same time. As a rule of thumb, I tend to fire ARMs only when my ASMs or Planes with bombs are halfway to the objective relative to where the ARM shooters are (ARMs are fast).
- Try a simple scen first!

Freek

(in reply to DonMichUP)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Weapon description? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI