Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Teaching in the USA?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Teaching in the USA? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Teaching in the USA? - 2/20/2009 9:59:18 PM   
Kung Karl

Hi all!

So, I am a Swedish teacher. I teach History and political science at high school level. I currently live and work in Sweden and I am 26 years old.

I want to move to the USA.

Is there a market for foreign teachers?

How can I get information about moving to the US from Sweden? Do you people have any advice to give me?

The main problem as I see it is emplyment. In Sweden I have a university level education and I am employed at a good high school. I make a fair living and have a woman whom I currently live with. I need to be able to get a real job in the US. She is a pharmaceut. How is the market for them in the US?

I know there is diffrent laws and markets all over the USA. I teach history and know about states rights etc ;)

Anyway, any pointers are apreciated!

As a side note I can say that I love the Minnsesota Vikings in the NFL and Los Angeles Kings in the NHL. ;)

Post #: 1
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/20/2009 11:34:26 PM   
U2

Hi,

Well I am also a teacher from Sweden and I also wanted to move to the USA to teach a few years ago. They do offer teachers from certain countries to apply in NYC AFAIK but I never found Sweden to be on that list. AFAIK you need a green card and then you can apply for any job. The problem is that your english needs to be top notch and you need to know everything about American history/politics. So unless one is lucky, I don't think teaching would be an option in the USA. Would anyone hire us? To teach American history at High School level you would have to become almost as good as a native speaker and study at college again to gain the knowledge about history that you would need. I'm not sure students would like to be tought be someone who's English is not top notch and I don't know if any school would hire someone who's studied Swedish history/politics. They simply do not know what you have studied. Easier to go with an American that studied in the USA.

Get a green card and go for it! I'm happy I stayed here but if this is a dream of yours you must try.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 2
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/20/2009 11:52:00 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kung Karl

I was an educator in the U.S. for 33 years before retiring a couple of years ago. There is always a market for good secondary school teachers, but don't do it blindly. Unless you are prepared to pursue a position teaching in some of the worst schools on the face of the planet (without any guarantee that you will ever be hired even there), you should make contact with agencies and groups that provide you with information about, and access to, institutions that still value academics and integrity. Otherwise, you are likely to be very disappointed with the entire adventure. I won't go on at length about this, except to advise that you be careful and proceed cautiously. Some fields, like mathematics and science, are in high demand, while others, like English and social studies (including history) are glutted with job seekers who can't find anything else - and with the economy as it is, the market is currently very poor.

Information is the key, and you won't get what you need here. Start with the U.S. Embassy. They are usually very helpful with information you can use to network your way toward the contacts that will help you. Find education Web sites in the U.S., such as the one for the National Education Association. Get in touch with American university education departments. Do the same with individual state education departments. You've got a lot to do and many decisions to make before you even think about relocating.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 3
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 12:00:48 AM   
Marauders

The market for Social Studies teachers hit rock bottom years ago.

If you are not a superstar coach, forget it.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 4
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 1:12:45 AM   
Feltan

You may wish to contact private schools as well, they will be able to sponsor you for a visa. Private schools, for the most part, do not pay as well as public schools, but you do not have to put up with the same level of crap as public school teachers. In private schools, troublesome students can actually get expelled.

Pharmacists are in demand, but you have to be licensed in the state you work in. Licensing is not easy. Furthermore, much of the growth in pharmacy is in "warehouse" jobs -- filling mail order or bulk industrial presciptions where speed is rewarded, and low productivity gets you sacked.

One other note -- given the state of the economy, this is not an optimal time to be seeking entry into the US work force. Unemployment is creeping up, and there is a general feeling of doom with regard to the economy.

Sorry, wish I had better news for you.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 5
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 3:44:59 AM   
jwarrenw13

Good advice. I teach high school English and journalism in Louisiana. I am aware of a couple of school district who have brought in groups of teachers from the Philippines to teach math and science in "at risk" areas, meaning poverty stricken, high minority areas. This is apparently some kind of grant program, and I really don't know the details, but it is possible for a teacher from another country to come to America and teach. Just be careful what you get in to.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

I was an educator in the U.S. for 33 years before retiring a couple of years ago. There is always a market for good secondary school teachers, but don't do it blindly. Unless you are prepared to pursue a position teaching in some of the worst schools on the face of the planet (without any guarantee that you will ever be hired even there), you should make contact with agencies and groups that provide you with information about, and access to, institutions that still value academics and integrity. Otherwise, you are likely to be very disappointed with the entire adventure. I won't go on at length about this, except to advise that you be careful and proceed cautiously. Some fields, like mathematics and science, are in high demand, while others, like English and social studies (including history) are glutted with job seekers who can't find anything else - and with the economy as it is, the market is currently very poor.

Information is the key, and you won't get what you need here. Start with the U.S. Embassy. They are usually very helpful with information you can use to network your way toward the contacts that will help you. Find education Web sites in the U.S., such as the one for the National Education Association. Get in touch with American university education departments. Do the same with individual state education departments. You've got a lot to do and many decisions to make before you even think about relocating.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 6
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 4:57:53 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

If you can teach math, science or IT, then it might work out for you, so long as your English (or Spanish) language skills or good.

Come to think of it, though, why on earth would you want to leave Sweden for the USA?

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 7
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 9:45:29 AM   
Kung Karl

Well, I don't want to leave Sweden for good. I love my country very much but I just thought it would be a good experience.

Anyway, you guys have comfirmed my doubts so I will probably stay here in Sweden. I have a good job now that I like very much. The problem is that the numbers of students will go down in the coming years so I thought maybe now was the time to try something new for a while until the jobs is coming back.

Thanks for the info guys, now I can safley put my thoughs about moving to the US at rest. I will go there for a vacation though. I realy want to see the Minnesota Vikings in action. Next year Adrian Peterson will run all the way to the super bowl!

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 8
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 11:32:44 AM   
Tomus

Have you thought about an academic exchange? My dad was a college professor and he transferred a couple of times to the US for one year stints where he swapped jobs with an American. I am sure that teaching offers the same deal. The only issue I guess you would get would be finding an American teacher who spoke Swedish.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 9
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 11:49:28 AM   
cdbeck

I'm with Tomus, there are loads of academic exchange programs that will get you a year or so of teaching experience in the US. I know a girl from the UK who did that, had a wonderful time teaching in New Hampshire, and met my best friend - ending up getting married to my best friend and moving to the US! So her experience was pretty great (the teaching system in the UK was not to her liking - although she was teaching in Hull - you Brits will probably understand what I mean).

I wouldn't think the American teacher would need to speak Swedish - they would come over as an English teacher, in all likelyhood. AFAIK, Sweden has some of the best English education in Europe (along with Norway, the Netherlands, and Iceland), so the language barrier is far less than one would expect.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 10
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 2:19:58 PM   
Doggie

Do you speak Spanish? Then maybe you can pass for an illegal immigrant from Central America. If so, the government would welcome you, and offer you a range of benefits not available to American citizens.

Europeans, especially those with job skills, are hunted down and deported.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 11
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 2:46:49 PM   
vonRocko

Doggie speaks the truth unfortunately.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 12
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 4:05:37 PM   
Charles_22

quote:

Well, I don't want to leave Sweden for good. I love my country very much but I just thought it would be a good experience.

Anyway, you guys have comfirmed my doubts so I will probably stay here in Sweden. I have a good job now that I like very much. The problem is that the numbers of students will go down in the coming years so I thought maybe now was the time to try something new for a while until the jobs is coming back.

Thanks for the info guys, now I can safley put my thoughs about moving to the US at rest. I will go there for a vacation though. I realy want to see the Minnesota Vikings in action. Next year Adrian Peterson will run all the way to the super bowl!
Nope you set your hopes way too high. Do you remember Tavaris Jackson? He usually eliminates any Peterson benefit. I don't know how much higher Peterson can get than having the rushing title, and still they choked. They need a steady QB, and Jackson is two years away from being that, at best. Ferotte at least didn't lose games for them, but he won't probably last a whole season either. I had to wonder in their last playoff game, if Ferotte was capable of playing, because Jackson sure wasn't.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 13
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 5:39:36 PM   
Kung Karl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

quote:

Nope you set your hopes way too high. Do you remember Tavaris Jackson? He usually eliminates any Peterson benefit. I don't know how much higher Peterson can get than having the rushing title, and still they choked. They need a steady QB, and Jackson is two years away from being that, at best. Ferotte at least didn't lose games for them, but he won't probably last a whole season either. I had to wonder in their last playoff game, if Ferotte was capable of playing, because Jackson sure wasn't.

Tarvaris Jackson was ok at the end of the season I would say. I hope they can find a better QB in the off-season tough since that is the position holding them back. They have a great defence and two great running backs. The wide reciivers are ok if they only could get a great QB throwing them the ball. I am optmistic. :)

< Message edited by Kung Karl -- 2/21/2009 5:48:23 PM >

(in reply to Charles_22)
Post #: 14
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 6:54:51 PM   
Tomus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

Do you speak Spanish? Then maybe you can pass for an illegal immigrant from Central America. If so, the government would welcome you, and offer you a range of benefits not available to American citizens.

Europeans, especially those with job skills, are hunted down and deported.

Funny how the same is true in Europe. If you have no skills, a criminal record, your're wanted in another country, you can't speak English,have a forged passport, and hate the country you are going to and plan to destroy it...not only will we give you, at our expense, a house, education for your children, money every week to live on, free travel, free access to computers and printers, free driving lessons and of course more free lawyers than you can know what to do with so you can sue us if someone hurts your feelings.

< Message edited by Tomus -- 2/21/2009 6:55:38 PM >

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 15
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 8:42:45 PM   
Charles_22

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

quote:

Tarvaris Jackson was ok at the end of the season I would say. I hope they can find a better QB in the off-season tough since that is the position holding them back. They have a great defence and two great running backs. The wide reciivers are ok if they only could get a great QB throwing them the ball. I am optmistic. :)
Yes, but you saw how hopeless he was in that last game. He hasn't shook that tendency to stink on a high basis. I don't know why he did quite well in the closing games, but I look at it as an exception rather than a rule.

I will tell you one thing about Peterson though, at least I saw him that way early in the season, that he gets to the line of scrimmage so quick a lot of the time, it looks like he's going to score every time (it looks that way from the side tv camera angle anyway). I didn't even feel that way about OJ in the old days. It seems he's a really difficult tackle past the line of scrimmage too. I seen him in the playoffs and maybe another game at the end of the season, and he wasn't running like that anymore. Defenses might as well forget short yardage defense against him, because that seems like a long gain about half the time and just makes him better.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 16
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 10:46:08 PM   
cdbeck

Way to turn this guys benign question into racial politics guys. 

Wow, is American Football popular in Sweden? I know, here in France, it is pretty much only what people watch when nothing else is on. I think that they are actually still playing "reruns" from the past season here - and they aren't even close to the Superbowl yet. Hilarious, I could make some money with some wagers! Of course, the same holds true with TV shows - I want to walk in and scream stuff like "X dies when Y shoots him!" or "He fires all of his staff!" Would be great fun, the American spoiler.

SoM

(in reply to Charles_22)
Post #: 17
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 11:36:34 PM   
jagdwolf

A lot depends on the market where you are looking; some states are over run with teachers (especially in the northeast) while others, generally in the south, are desperate for them. Likewise, the bureaucracy you have to wade through to get certified varies widely from state to state.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 18
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/21/2009 11:47:44 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

The problem is that the numbers of students will go down in the coming years so I thought maybe now was the time to try something new for a while until the jobs is coming back.

Is Sweden's birth rate still declining?

If so, it's a genuine shame. I hope that children aren't looked upon as a burden and a handicap to women (as they are in the USA). The Swedish are a great people, but no culture can survive if it falters in its reproductive imperative.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 19
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 2:54:57 AM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Way to turn this guys benign question into racial politics guys. 

It aint "racial politics"; it's the truth. Why not tell him the way things are? The truth is educated people from places like Australia and Western Europe are not welcome in the United States. The INS really will hunt them down and deport them. We're not kidding here. It's no joke. But we can't deport an illegal alien from Central America even after he serves time in prison.

This has nothing to do with political opinions; it's a simple irrefutable fact. Politics come into why things are this way. A guy from Sweden has just about no chance of getting a visa to work in the United States.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 20
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 4:29:27 AM   
Jonathan Pollard

I know that the USA has an immigration lottery, and if Sweden is an eligible country (AFAIK most European countries are eligible) your chances of winning might be quite good if you don't have much competition. You would be competing only against other Swedish entrys in the lottery.

< Message edited by Jonathan Pollard -- 2/22/2009 11:26:35 AM >

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 21
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 5:26:33 AM   
Zap

quote:

What happens when governments try to control the population. Or as stated above women have the same outlook as they do here. In either case what a shame.

< Message edited by Zap -- 2/22/2009 5:30:12 AM >

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 22
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 10:04:32 AM   
cdbeck

quote:

It aint "racial politics"; it's the truth. Why not tell him the way things are? The truth is educated people from places like Australia and Western Europe are not welcome in the United States. The INS really will hunt them down and deport them. We're not kidding here. It's no joke. But we can't deport an illegal alien from Central America even after he serves time in prison.

This has nothing to do with political opinions; it's a simple irrefutable fact. Politics come into why things are this way. A guy from Sweden has just about no chance of getting a visa to work in the United States.

This is so ridiculous, it barely deserves a response. First, if an immigrant is illegal, then by definition the person did not go through the proper channels and is a irrelevant comparison to someone seeking a temporary work visa. Many countries have illegal immigration, and the problem seems far removed from the situation here.

Second, I would hardly call your bold statement "irrefutable fact." Show me INS policy to deny Europeans and allow Central Americans. I think, if you could find official policy, you would see that it is easier for employed and skilled Europeans to immigrate than equally employed and skilled South and Central Americans. My friend's UK wife got her work visa in six months, and she previously was granted a temporary visa (without being married) to teach for a year (which is what this person wants). Many Europeans do this. No one is arguing that illegal immigration is <easier>, at least bureaucratically, but it is still illegal.

SoM

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 23
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 11:59:19 AM   
Kung Karl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

The problem is that the numbers of students will go down in the coming years so I thought maybe now was the time to try something new for a while until the jobs is coming back.

Is Sweden's birth rate still declining?

It is just a bumb for a few years. It will turn around soon again. At the lower level there is a big demand for teachers so no need to worry in the long run.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 24
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 3:40:16 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

It is just a bumb for a few years. It will turn around soon again. At the lower level there is a big demand for teachers so no need to worry in the long run.

Good deal. And please don't let anything that was mentioned in this discussion discourage you from seeking employment, temporary or permanent, in the USA. We need more smart people here, LOTS OF THEM!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 25
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 4:41:42 PM   
Tomus

quote:

quote:

This is so ridiculous, it barely deserves a response. First, if an immigrant is illegal, then by definition the person did not go through the proper channels and is a irrelevant comparison to someone seeking a temporary work visa. Many countries have illegal immigration, and the problem seems far removed from the situation here.

Second, I would hardly call your bold statement "irrefutable fact." Show me INS policy to deny Europeans and allow Central Americans. I think, if you could find official policy, you would see that it is easier for employed and skilled Europeans to immigrate than equally employed and skilled South and Central Americans. My friend's UK wife got her work visa in six months, and she previously was granted a temporary visa (without being married) to teach for a year (which is what this person wants). Many Europeans do this. No one is arguing that illegal immigration is <easier>, at least bureaucratically, but it is still illegal.

SoM

That said its easier to kick out a European from the US as it doesn't create such a political issue than it does trying to deport South Americans.

Look at the UK, 12 years of uncontrolled third world immigration without the government batting an eyelid and most of the press claiming how marvellous and how diverse we are all becoming...then we get 2 years when a couple of hundred thousand hardworking highly skilled Poles come in and suddenly we are being swamped...

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 26
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 5:02:15 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus
Look at the UK, 12 years of uncontrolled third world immigration without the government batting an eyelid and most of the press claiming how marvellous and how diverse we are all becoming...then we get 2 years when a couple of hundred thousand hardworking highly skilled Poles come in and suddenly we are being swamped...

That is what you call social engineering, but the kind that is worked out in the Star Rooms-no need to confuse the common man with all these details. Seriously though, this is clearly a plan by those in power.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 27
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/22/2009 5:48:27 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

SoM

I could not find the current total quotas allowed from nations of/by birth, but I clearly recall that up to a few years ago Mexico was allotted well over half of total legal immigration.

The simple truth is that Latino's have increased from about 1% of the population to approx 15% in 40 years. Most of that change has occurred in the past twenty years-and it is accelerating. While these people are known to eh, how shall I say this, have large families, this magnitude of increase was only possible through massive migration from the south- legal and otherwise. By 2042 (I'm sure a very conservative/less threatening figure) White non Hispanic will be a minority. By 2050< Latino's will make up 30% of the US population-I doubt that they are including the 40 million illegals that will be here by that time.

I do not have enough info to debate the treatment of illegal's based on their nation of birth. I do have an English buddy who has gotten his U.S. citizenship-years ago. He married an English woman- and then his tribulations began. It took him over a year to get her here-even though he was a U.S. citizen. He had very good knowledge of the system. He would frequently point out the absurdity of the current system. We are clearly awash with millions of Mexicans that the government apparently won't do anything about. I recall reading about a German fellow. He was an auto body/painter for many years here. Paid his taxes and broke no laws (except the immigration law). After he was caught, he was paraded around several states for six months before finally expelling him fro the States.

Fortunately, illegals can be deported, although if they have been here a while, it gets more complicated. The Border Patrol actually does a decent job for the resources they have. In years past, it had been estimated that approx 90% of illegal border crossing were successfully intercepted. At times, this represented 20,000 people-per day-that is right; per day. It was estimated that approx 2,000 per day would slip through the cracks. It will soon be a non issue. As soon as the new immigration amnesty is passed, the current 50 million illegals (ok, quasi illegal) will invite their "families" here.
What a brave new world. Habla Espanole?

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 28
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/23/2009 10:45:55 PM   
Doggie

quote:

Second, I would hardly call your bold statement "irrefutable fact." Show me INS policy to deny Europeans and allow Central Americans.

As your location is given as "Marseille, France", pardon me if I believe you have absolutely no understanding of the subject.

"Under the porch" is here in Raleigh, North Carolina, where the hispanic population has gone from zero to fifteen percent in as many years. This area is also home to several world class universities, and there are a number of foreign students attending classes here. I have known dozens of them from western Europe, as well as the foreign born spouses of American miltary personel living near the numerous military bases in North Carolina. All of them endure unending harrassment from the INS, while illegal aliens thrive here.

University graduates from western Europe find it it virtually impossible to obtain a residence visa, while computer geeks from India and Pakistan fly in on tourist visas and never leave. A European must have an international driver's license issued in his country of origin, just as I had when I lived in Europe. The State of North Carolina issues NC driver's licenses to residents of Central America based on an I.D. from the mexican consul. That I.D. card is issued on the applicant's word alone:

quote:

in some locations, when an individual seeking a Matricula Consular is unable to produce any documents whatsoever, he will still be issued a Matricula Consular by the Mexican consular official, if he fills out a questionnaire and satisfies the official that he is who he purports to be.

Nobody else can do that. I can't do that. If I lose my driver's license, I got to cough up a birth certificate, passport, or miltary I.D. before I can replace it. Only Hispanic immigrants are able to secure a legal I.D. card on their word alone. If you, as resident of France, were to be caught driving without an international driver's license and a valid residence visa, you[ would be locked up and deported at your own expense.

Illegal immigrants are simply released, like this guy

quote:

Trooper Beckley Vaughan of the North Carolina Highway Patrol said that after Vicente is released from the hospital, he will face charges of careless and reckless driving and operating without a license.

Vaughan said troopers also intend to investigate whether Vicente is in the United States legally. Vicente does not speak English and told investigators, via a translator, that he has been in the U.S. looking for work for two years.

$2,000 dollar bond means he walks after producing $200 in cash. A quick trip to the Mexican consul gets him a new I.D.

This happens every week here. Illegal immigrants, often driving drunk, kill scores of people, driving with no license and no insurance, and they are rarely deported.
But what do I know? I only live here.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 29
RE: Teaching in the USA? - 2/23/2009 11:35:27 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi all,

Thread locked. This is not the place for these discussions, thanks. In the future, can we please try to not tangent off on side issues and stick to the original poster's questions?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Teaching in the USA? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll