Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Land Unit Fragments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Land Unit Fragments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Land Unit Fragments - 2/20/2009 1:10:16 AM   
Heeward

Frequently I read in AAR's (and concluded why did I not see that), small land unit fragments evacuated, or left in Japan / West Coast as insurance. Then the majority of the original land unit is destroyed. There fragment is then becomes the new main land unit and gets entirely rebuilt. Therefore the player does not loose the original land combat unit.

Is this considered an issue in AE?
If so how is it being addressed.

As the allied player has a fixed replacement pool - this establishes a limit, but as Japan produces replacements on demand, they are only limited by oil / resources / heavy industry.

For example I withdraw 2 squads via air transport from the 2nd Imperial Guards Division, which is subsequently destroyed.
The 2 squads then become the division, and as long as it has sufficient supplies, and Japan has the resources, it gets rebuilt.

The Wake
Post #: 1
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/20/2009 1:39:07 AM   
wdolson

Fragments will still become the parent if the parent is destroyed.  However, there are some big caveats.  A lot of early war ground units that were destroyed have withdraw dates.  So if you play this trick, you won't have the new unit forever and you could spend a lot of resources rebuilding a unit only to have it go away on you.

Another factor is the limited pools of devices for many of the minor combatants.  For example, you can evacuate a fragment of a Dutch unit, but it will never rebuild after it becomes the parent because there will be nothing in the pool to rebuild it. 

If Japan wants to invest lots of HI in rebuilding land units from fragments, they can, but they will be robbing Peter to pay Paul.  Japan has a lot of needs and not all of them will be able to be met.

So it is addressed, just indirectly.  So far in play testing, it appears to work fairly well. 

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 2
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/20/2009 11:21:18 AM   
Bogo Mil

But you still have to keep a fragment if you plan to rebuild a unit? It would be quite cool, if an empty fragment would appear at a home base (Tokyo, S.F., Aden, ...) if a unit was destroyed.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/20/2009 12:31:58 PM   
Mistmatz

Don't want to hijack this thread but I just saw three differnt symbols and colors for a Fighter group in wdolsons sig.
Can anybody the meaning of the colors (nationality, size?) and the symbol differences (wings differ)?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/20/2009 1:36:26 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

Don't want to hijack this thread but I just saw three differnt symbols and colors for a Fighter group in wdolsons sig.
Can anybody the meaning of the colors (nationality, size?) and the symbol differences (wings differ)?

Nationality and nationality...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 5
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/20/2009 2:05:01 PM   
wdolson

Most nationalities now have their own set of icons in their own color.  The plane tops on the air icons comes in 3 different flavors: US equipment, British equipment, and Japanese.  Alternate color sets are provided, so if you don't like the stock, it's easy to switch to something else.  Some people might prefer the monochrome look of WitP, while some people who might have some trouble telling the difference between colors can choose a higher contrast color for one or more nationality.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 6
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/20/2009 2:06:00 PM   
drw61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

Total guess is......
Brown is UK (the brown TB looks like a Swordfish)
Green is Australia (green F looks like a Boomerang)
so Blue is US (blue F looks like a P40)

< Message edited by drw61 -- 2/20/2009 2:07:51 PM >

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 7
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/20/2009 2:13:00 PM   
wdolson

The US is olive drab.  The blue is New Zealand.  You are correct about the other two.

The image is a screenshot from Singapore in the early going, so no US units there.

Bill

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 8
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/22/2009 6:13:22 PM   
cyberwop36

I'm more interested in what looks to be a attack helicopter unit in the land unit bar. Right next to the HQ. lol

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: Land Unit Fragments - 2/22/2009 7:15:49 PM   
Yamato hugger

Thats an air HQ. 2nd from the left.

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Land Unit Fragments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI