Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> After Action Reports >> Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/15/2009 11:29:34 PM   
gwgardner

Some overall notes: this will be a rather vanilla Allied effort. NO PP shipments other than 50 PP lendlease to the British and the Russians, once the US starts lend-lease. The game system makes it impossible to hold on to Gibraltar, if Spain goes to the Axis (I very much dislike the siege feature of the game.) So I'm assuming Gibraltar will fall, thus closing off the Med. As such, I'm having the British send early reinforcements to Egypt, since they will be blocked later on.

It's May 1st, and things have finally started to get lively on the Western Front.

British: Conferences with the French showed a defeatism that leads us to refuse an expeditionary force. The British air force was briefly based in France, but took heavy losses during ground strikes during the period of Sitzkrieg. With no resources to both reinforce the air units and to build up a defense capability, the air force has withdrawn to bases in Northern Ireland for further training and eventual refit. One air fleet is stationed in Egypt, performing recon against a possible Italian entry into the war. All available armor and motorized units, which were to have gone to France, have been dispatched instead to Egypt also.

France: The British having backstabbed us, by refusing all but moral support, we are left in dire straits. We have little to throw in the way of the German armored spearhead that is striking directly into the heart of France. Defeat seems certain. If Paris falls, so will the government fall.

USSR: We are poised to carry out the secret protocols in our agreement with Germany, and will take the Baltic states as soon as possible. Not trusting the Germans in the long run, however, we are looking to shore up defenses in general along our borders.

Situation on the Western Front:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 2/18/2009 1:59:06 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/17/2009 12:43:37 AM   
gwgardner

May 9 situation:

The French High Command is confident that we can hold out for, oh ... two more weeks? And the British call that defeatism?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/18/2009 2:09:32 PM   
gwgardner

The right-wing thrust of the French army into the Ruhr has been blunted short of it's goal. Whether or not that effort delayed the German offensive in any way seems unlikely. The army is now falling back upon Paris and Metz. In the south, the perfidious Italians have declared war and show that they are of the same stamp as perfidious Albion. The Italian army shows no advance yet, through the Alps towards Marseilles.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/23/2009 2:33:37 AM   
gwgardner

Does anyone know if the Allies could send forces to the USSR, as an ally? Or would they be considered enemies? I used 30 diplo points to get Saudi Arabia to go Allied. My idea was to then get Iraq, and then send British/US units to help the USSR. But now I'm thinking that ain't going to work in this game system.

Yeah, I've been tardy posting on the AAR. All this early stuff is pretty standard anyway - hopefully the next patch will liven things up in that regard. Tension is building however - Chuck has hinted that he may not wait till the historical date for Barbarossa.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 2/23/2009 2:34:58 AM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 4
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/23/2009 3:44:38 AM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Does anyone know if the Allies could send forces to the USSR, as an ally? Or would they be considered enemies? I used 30 diplo points to get Saudi Arabia to go Allied. My idea was to then get Iraq, and then send British/US units to help the USSR. But now I'm thinking that ain't going to work in this game system.

Yeah, I've been tardy posting on the AAR. All this early stuff is pretty standard anyway - hopefully the next patch will liven things up in that regard. Tension is building however - Chuck has hinted that he may not wait till the historical date for Barbarossa.

I don't think you can. The WA and Soviets are different factions.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 5
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/26/2009 4:18:35 AM   
gwgardner

It's late summer '40, and the Axis has run roughshod across Europe. Since the US has remained completely isolated, and hasn't contributed even one PP to any warring or neutral power, the Germans are using their superiority at will.

After a protracted siege of Lisbon, the city is close to desperation. As the Germans have finally brought up an infantry corps to help the Spanish forces, Portugal will soon go the way of France.

Yugoslavia has fallen, and now the Axis has invaded Greece. The approaches to Athens will be furiously defended, in the mountains and on the plains.

Malta fell, when the Royal Navy was unable to supply the island, making it possible for the Axis to make a push in North Africa. The British Mediterranean Commmand made a decision to withdraw all the way back to the Nile, extending Axis supply lines to the breaking point.

The fear is that the Germans will not stop with Greece, but will attack Turkey too.

[The game's diplomatic system is seriously flawed with regard to neutrals who are attacked by the Axis. Instead of becoming Allied, the neutrals become pro-Allied. So as far as I know, I am unable to go to the aid of Greece, for instance. Weird. Tell me if I'm wrong.]

Attachment (1)

Aggressors: Ancient Rome
My favorite 4x game now.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/723/details/Aggressors.Ancient.Rome

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 6
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/26/2009 4:21:18 AM   
gwgardner

The USSR is astonished at the rapacity of the Axis powers, and has continued with a armament buildup. current defenses are shown here. The arrows indicate the designed fallback directions, should an attack be made. The intent is to use the vast territory of Russia to suck the Axis into longer and longer lines., while gathering a mobile force to launch a counterattack when possible.

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 7
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/26/2009 2:38:05 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

[The game's diplomatic system is seriously flawed with regard to neutrals who are attacked by the Axis. Instead of becoming Allied, the neutrals become pro-Allied. So as far as I know, I am unable to go to the aid of Greece, for instance. Weird. Tell me if I'm wrong.]

I think they join your side the turn after they are attacked.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 8
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/28/2009 4:19:05 AM   
gwgardner

Yawn...
Let's see if the Germans have made any headway on their attack into the Pelopennesus.
What's this?
Bold headlines indeed!

Reuters News Flash:
Chaos in the Soviet Union
Joseph Stalin dead!
Red Army Coup!
Blood in the streets of Moscow and Leningrad!
German News Agency reporting attacks across the borders!

Sketchy and therefore preliminary reports out of the Soviet Union tell of a surprise and bloody coup d'etat. A coterie of high-level Red Army officers, including several Marshalls, backed by lower-level officers, planned and carried out widespread attacks on the Kremlin and other government installations. Enraged by a series of purges within their ranks over the recent years, and further outraged by the government's policies with regard to Germany, the officer corps has apparently been planning such a coup for some time.

Reports out of Berlin indicate that the Red Army has apparently launched cross-the-border attacks. Propoganda Minister Goebbels has made a special announcement on national radio, stating Reichs Chancellor Hitler has remained fully apprised of the developing situation and is personally in command of the situation.

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 9
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/28/2009 4:24:37 AM   
gwgardner

All indications are that the recent coup against the Stalin regime was much better planned than the subsequent Red Army attacks across the border against Germany.

The situation in the North - Soviet, or should it now be said, Russian infantry are streaming into Prussia on a broad front. It is as yet unknown whether this attack has caught the German army by surprise, or how well prepared they are to meet the assault upon the fatherland.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 2/28/2009 4:25:20 AM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 10
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/28/2009 4:27:02 AM   
gwgardner

In the South, without any modern mechanized forces to spearhead the invasion, the Red Army has apparently failed to take it's obvious first objective, the road and rail nexus of Lublin. However, the German high command cannot be unaware of the danger of these hordes of Russian troops approaching Warsaw from both the north and south.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 2/28/2009 4:28:37 AM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 11
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/28/2009 2:51:57 PM   
gwgardner

new from the AP:

dateline Ankara
Marshall Zhukov has emerged as the leading figure in the recent coup in the Soviet Union. A slew of pronouncements and martial law decrees have emanated from his office in the Kremlin.

This yesterday:
"We intend to reverse the policies of the criminal Stalin regime. The Nazi regime in Berlin will be first to feel the impact of our decisions. We will return to Mother Russia all territories and treasure torn from us by their perfidy.

"Our forces are striking deep into Prussia and Poland, and we will march all the way to Berlin if our demands are not met."

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 12
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/28/2009 2:59:30 PM   
gwgardner

new from the BBC:

There is rejoicing in the streets of London today, with confirmation of the Red Army's attack into German occupied territories, and indeed into Germany itself. The joy is less evident in Athens, where it is reported that German tanks are on the outskirts of the ancient city. It is feared that the coup leaders in Moscow have acted to late to draw attacking forces out of Greece. A more hopeful attitude can be found in Alexandria, where the government reports that German armored forces have continued to be reinforced, and are now threatening the government's hold on the vital Suez.

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 13
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 2/28/2009 3:01:46 PM   
gwgardner

Situation at the front:

Note that the concentration of mechanized forces is intended to disrupt efforts by the enemy to construct a defensive line, forestalling the advance into Prussia and Poland.

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 14
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/1/2009 5:04:49 PM   
gwgardner

In Egypt, a strong Axis offensive, led by two German tank corps, is almost within sighting distance of the Pyramids. Field Marshall Alexander is certain that the offensive can be blunted if we can hold out for two more weeks. In that time, two more infantry corps will be available.

The quality of our mechanized and tank forces are not nearly up to par with the German, and it's hard to envision going on the offensive ourselves until we can get better quality units.

Even so, on the southern end of the desert front, we have launched a small offensive against primarily Italian forces, attempting to isolate a lone tank division there.

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 15
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/3/2009 3:42:28 AM   
gwgardner

Egypt stabilized (I think):

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 16
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/3/2009 1:35:10 PM   
gwgardner

I couldn't have been more wrong about stabilizing the Egyptian front. Using heavy air strikes, he was able to destroy the one infantry corp standing between him and the Nile in front of Cairo. A German armored corps is now preparing for the crossing. I have brought in a mechanized corp to defend the outskirts of Cairo and forestall the crossing, but as long as the enemy can continue to use his air power at will, things are not looking stabilized at all.

I have one seriously damaged air fleet skulking in hangars in Lebanon, but no PPs to reinforce it.

Convoys carrying US lend-lease aid have finally begun arriving, and that is helping, but I fear too little, too late.

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 17
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/4/2009 12:25:08 AM   
gwgardner

Not content with stasis on the northern front, and already feeling political heat from the rather inglorious outcome of his attack upon Germany, General Zhukov launched a surprise attack upon Romania.

Kishinev has already fallen to the Russian advance, and advance units have made a bridgehead across the Prut River.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 3/4/2009 12:26:25 AM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 18
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/4/2009 7:00:58 PM   
gwgardner

June '41

The Russian offensive in Romania continues, with primarily infantry attacks all along the front, attempting to wear the defensive wall down and force a fallback.

Under diplomatic pressure, primarily from the British, it appears that Hungarian enthusiasm for the Axis has cooled somewhat. That is considered vital for the Russian cause, as a British ally.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 3/4/2009 7:07:28 PM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 19
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/4/2009 7:05:03 PM   
gwgardner

On the northern front, the Germans have shifted the main focus of their offensives on the approaches to Lublin. The northernmost German armored spearhead was weakened and vulnerable to a counterattack. Combine tank and infantry forces attacked the lead German armored unit and almost destroyed it.

In Egypt, meanwhile, the continuous German assaults are making incremental headway. Most telling, they are absorbing huge expenditures by the British on supplies and reinforcements.

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 20
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/6/2009 4:07:28 AM   
gwgardner

Alexandria has fallen. So much for stabilization of the Egyptian front. And now the Italians have landed in Palestine, and have taken Jerusalem. And thus we all see how limited is our (my?) intelligence!

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 21
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/6/2009 9:13:19 PM   
gwgardner

With his commitment of the entire Luftwaffe to North Africa, the enemy has shown commendable patience in achieving his goals. The decisive battle in this fight may have just occured south of Cairo, in the very shadows of the Pyramids, when three German armored corps launched their long-awaited crossing of the Nile, after a horrendous air assault on the defenders.

It must be noted that the ill-fated Italian assault into Palestine drew away the entire British mobile reserve, thus allowing the Germans a clear path in encircling Cairo.

We have ordered a general fall back upon the single remaining supply and communications line into Cairo, which will be defended to the last man. If Cairo falls, so falls Egypt, and along with it Palestine. It will then be up to the Russians to stand strong against a renewed air and armored assault against their lines.

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 22
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/7/2009 1:36:48 AM   
gwgardner

British: With the fall of Cairo, the situation in Egypt is untenable. A fighting withdrawal to ports on the Suez is underway. The object is to ship out as many personal and as much material as possible. the approximate cost of the defense of Egypt was 1500 to 2000 PPs.

Russia: With the collapse of the British position in Egypt, there is nothing to keep the Axis from throwing everything they have at us. With their superiority in technology and the power of their air force, our defensive line will crack. We are preparing positions in the interior and will be ready to fall back on them.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 3/7/2009 1:38:25 AM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 23
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/8/2009 7:53:40 PM   
gwgardner

AP News Flash!

3rd Nov. '41
Dateline New York

Sketchy reports from England indicate that there was a major naval engagement in the Atlantic over the last two days, between the Royal Navy's main battle fleet and the combined High Seas Fleets of Germany and Italy. The Admiralty in London has not been very forthcoming with either a confirmation or any indication of the results of the battle, but unnamed sources say that it was a disaster for the Royal Navy.

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 24
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/8/2009 8:02:21 PM   
gwgardner

Churchill [this of course had absolutely nothing to do with my judgement] insisted on redeeming the defeat in the deserts of North Africa by joining with the foe closer to home.

In accordance with his directives, 500 of our hard-earned PPs, that we had husbanded for months, were expended in building amphibious transports and preparing a sortie of the main battle fleet.

A division of armor and an entire corps of infantry were loaded upon transports and escorted towards the shores of France.

In a complete and utterly horrific surprise, the Royal Naval armada met up with the combined Axis High Seas Fleet off the coast of Cornwall. The Royal Air Force was unable to participate in the battle, as was the Luftwaffe, due to rain squalls over the area of conflict, so it was ship against ship. Rather, it was one Royal Navy ship each to three of the enemy, leading to the results that could be expected.

In a complete and utterly horrific surprise, the Royal Naval armada met up with the combined Axis High Seas Fleet off the coast of Cornwall. The Royal Air Force was unable to participate in the battle, as was the Luftwaffe, due to rain squalls over the area of conflict, so it was ship against ship. Rather, it was one Royal Navy ship each to three of the enemy, leading to the results that could be expected.

All that remains of the Royal Navy, elsewhere employed in anti-submarine operations, have been recalled to port, leaving the Axis with dominance of the sea.

Followup invasion forces have been ordered to disembark and return to encampment.

A call goes out to the US to intervene, before she too faces the enemy alone.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 3/8/2009 8:06:12 PM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 25
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/8/2009 8:04:44 PM   
gwgardner

The Axis Fleet is so large, three times that of the Royal Navy, that the US would be hard-pressed to make any impact in the war if she enters, without a long-term naval building program.

This time around with the game has shown me that the naval aspects cannot be taken lightly.

I think the US strategy will have to be to attempt to wear down the superior Axis fleet, while using its (hopefully) bigger PP advantage to outrace the Axis in building more ships.

Can the Russkies hold out that long?

To make matters worse, I did not make any US investment in naval research!!. I'm still at level one!.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 3/8/2009 8:18:49 PM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 26
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/10/2009 2:23:42 AM   
gwgardner

Russians: After a long winter in which the Germans seemed to be testing and probing our lines, they launched their major offensive with a massive air bombardment and even more massive armored assault. To make matters worse, all indications are that the Hugarians are preparing to join the Axis, thus opening a whole new segment of the long front.

British and US: We are going to bring our fleets together and try take back the seas. In the meantime, we are securing the defense of the UK, and testing the enemy's air defenses in France.

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 27
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/10/2009 4:03:11 AM   
gwgardner

Russia: The German offensive in the north continues with an effort to widen the breakthrough, and a daring advance into Kaunus. Zhukov has ordered an all-out attempt to cut off and destroy that advance unit. At all costs, we cannot allow the body of the armored units to join back up.

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 28
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/10/2009 4:05:24 AM   
gwgardner

In the South, a very similar situation has developed, with the opening of a second German offensive. Hungary has still not gone over to the Axis, but we are preparing a defense. The mobile reserve has been committed to halting the German offensive.

Attachment (1)

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 29
RE: Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective - 3/10/2009 2:19:17 PM   
gwgardner

No change on the Southern Front, but April brings a small victory for Russia in the North. A very small, and no doubt fleeting victory. The entrapped German armored corps in Kaunus was able to break out, linking up with the main force, but that meant evacuating Kaunas. We entered to wildly cheering crowds, and started our own mass evacuations. it is doubtful we can hold the city for long.

Being unable to hold the flanks of the German pocket, we are now attempting to extricate out own pocket southwest of Kaunas.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 3/10/2009 2:20:25 PM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> After Action Reports >> Sturm und Drang : Allied Perspective Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI