Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How does PacWar Measure Up?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> How does PacWar Measure Up? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How does PacWar Measure Up? - 2/10/2009 5:37:23 PM   
RedMike

Compared to games like UV/WitP ?

Is the code base sound ? I mean as a simulation does it function well ?

I like UV but I'm not sure how stable/sound the code is, and I can't stand WitP. So, is PacWar a good solid alternative ?

Thanks!

Hannibal ad portas
Post #: 1
RE: How does PacWar Measure Up? - 2/10/2009 8:45:43 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

In PBEM, given equally capable human opponents, the Japanese player will lose and the Allied player will win. So yes, as a simulation it does function well . Against AI - like most other games, good for learning, but no challenge for experienced players. Japanese side is tougher of course, but not impossible to win.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 2/10/2009 8:46:02 PM >

(in reply to RedMike)
Post #: 2
RE: How does PacWar Measure Up? - 2/10/2009 9:31:22 PM   
RedMike

Yeah but how about the code, is it solid ? Or do squadron's mysteriously disappear like in UV, stuff like that. I get the feeling UV is abandonware. I like UV a lot but there are some things about it that are crappy. For example, Allied land based air that never attacks the Japanese navy. Just let's them sail on in to Oz. I can't stand that, not realistic to say the least.

Hannibal ad portas

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 3
RE: How does PacWar Measure Up? - 2/11/2009 12:17:24 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

PacWar has some minor quirks, e.g. Rangoon being isolated (not in automatic supply) no matter what (it is not clear whether this is a bug or WAD), but there are no major bugs like disappearing units.  However, as with all automated functions, the AI may not take the same decisions you may have taken  - like preferring to attack some transport TF far away instead of the carriers at the doorsteps. But this can usually be 'explained away' (weather, easier target, bigger threat of invasion compared to just being bombed, recon or communications failures etc.).  Btw, same goes for UV if LBA refused to attack - it might be caused by many things or combination of things, like lack of supplies, low morale, bad leaders, overstacking of airbase, damage to airbase etc.  

(in reply to RedMike)
Post #: 4
RE: How does PacWar Measure Up? - 2/14/2009 1:53:58 AM   
Yamato hugger

I played PacWar for years and years against a friend of mine. The ONLY thing about it I didnt like was the "hiways" that ships travel on. You arent free to move anywhere on the map, your ships take preset paths from base to base. The signals intel is actually superior to WitP I think. By and large, if it wasnt for that 1 thing, I would still be playing that over WitP frankly.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> How does PacWar Measure Up? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI