Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 10:40:14 PM   
Joram

Ok, so I thought I'd do an AAR on one of the new scenario's. In fact, it's one I haven't really looked at much personally so don't expect any dazzling generalship!

Here's the rules:

Simple Economy where all I have to worry about is money and labor. The only province improvements in Simple Economy deal with Walls/Guns/Barracks and Docks.

Standard Victory conditions however I will give myself a 100 Glory Point (which I may often refer to as 'gp's) advantage because, well, because I can.

Combat and Strategic AI is set to 'normal'.

No idea how far I'll get as I have to balance life, work, and testing but will do my best to show off some of the new features. I won't however get into naval combat for the very simple reason that Poland has no navy. Plus Gil did an excellent one.

Feel free to suggest courses of action and I will try to accomodate the requests but will also go at my own pace. I'll probably spend an inordinate time on the setup to show the initial conditions but then well skip whole turns as I wait for things to happen that may be interesting.

So without further ado (or is it adieu?) here's the setup screen. In these special scenario's, it's Sweden that is replaced so by picking Sweden as the player, you actually become the nation in the scenario, in this case Poland.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 10:46:31 PM   
Joram

Oh one more comment, I am fairly familiar with Napoleonic history from 1805 onward but very unfamiliar with 1792 so I don't really know what to expect from the situation! We'll see what happens.

Here's the initial overview. No large armies, save Turkey, are built yet as the nations haven't fully mobilized like they had in later years. So Poland (the light blue) has a small but experienced army at it's capital. Russia is sitting in my southern territories. Lots of large 'minor' nation armies about as well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 10:52:01 PM   
Joram

Here's my beginning army having beer and kielbasa down in Krakow. It's small with all my units under 50% strength but it is also highly experienced with one of my units having a morale of 6.50 which is very high, especially for a non-guard unit. I have two lancers as well which are deadly on the charge and even deadlier in the pursuit phase.
I also have leaders with high morale bonuses which is important for rallying. Though obviously with my superior generalship you will probably never see that ever being needed!

Will also use this screen to point out some changes from CoG. First, if you look at the bottom you see the GUI is new and improved. Since I'm on simple economy you only see money and labor being kept track of for the economy. But you also see the National Morale being displayed, land and naval experience, mobilization limits have been introduced and more.

We were all very sad to see the little advisor heads go but they had to go in order to make space for the new overview, provinces, units, and upgrades buttons. Finally, you will notice a bar (partially obscured) just below the main map which is the 'relationship' bar. Here you can tell at a glance what they think of you instead of going all the way into the diplomacy advisor as before.

On the right side above the mini-map you see the plus/minus for zooming in and out, the 'r' which toggles the relationship bar, and the 'm' which toggles different map overlays (production,attitude).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joram -- 2/6/2009 11:02:26 PM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 3
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 11:06:27 PM   
Joram

And here's the look at my southern regions (no snickering!) where the Russians have apparently decided to share pierogi recipes. Except if you look closely at the relationship bar it must not be going very well as they do not like me in the least. Is war soon afoot?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 4
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 11:21:05 PM   
Joram

So there's three things you always should check first off when you are starting a scenario with the first being a survey of your forces, the next being your relationship with the other nations, and finally, getting your economy going.

Since I prefer to focus on the military aspect of the game, my personal preference is to not have to deal with commodities so that is the main reason why I play on the simple economy. Others like the more detailed economy of the original CoG which I can assure you has been kept in and improved and is now known as the 'advanced' economy.

So for the simple economy, the economy screen is very simple to use. Naturally. My main economic levers on this screen are military readiness and draft size. Both of those directly affect my income.

Now for those unfamiliar with the game, military readiness affects the maximum size an individual division can be. The basic unit of strength, the division is normally 10k men for inf/cav and 3k for artillery. If I set military readiness down to 90%, well then my divisions can only be filled to 9k and 2700 artillery. Makes them weaker but saves you money!

Draft size is fairly self explanatory though the exact mechanics are a bit more difficult to explain. Suffice it to say, each draft point adds a certain number of men to the draft pool and costs 15 money.

Other items that affect income in the simple economy is upkeep (your primary expense by a large margin usually), treaty income or expense, and merchants. Oh and colonial income but Poland doesn't have any colonies.

Ok, so that got a little long-winded there but this is a beginners AAR. My moves on this screen were to leave readiness at 100% and increase my draft size to 4. With these changes I expect to get 73 profit next turn (this isn't exact for a number of reasons).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 5
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 11:27:55 PM   
Joram

This is also where you can look at the new and improved training report. Poland only has a few of these upgrades but they are good ones. Nationalism helps keep your national morale up which helps you stay in wars longer and I believe can give you other combat morale bonuses. Also, Patriotism is a great one for defending one's own territory.

You also see your current level of land and naval experience. This is gained by fighting battles (you don't necessarily have to win!) and also by the number of barrack and dock levels you have. This shot is actually from a later turn so I've actually spent a lot of my initial experience pts on unit upgrades rather than saving it for a training upgrade.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 6
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 11:34:32 PM   
Joram

I'm sure you're itching me to get moving but as I said, I'm going to spend a lot of time upfront showing the different concepts! So here is the province management. No sliders to worry about in simple economy, simply these province upgrades. Here you can see i have the 'barracks' highlighted which shows how barracks are required for certain units as well and the price of the next level. I'm aiming to get at least one region to level 5 so I can build corps but warning, province upgrades take a long time so you really need to plan ahead.

While not shown, I went around and bought barracks whereever I could, and other than my capital which will contain my high-level barracks, I focused on provinces with low-level barracks to improve. That way I can get more bang for my buck for the experience bonus that barracks provide every few months. Also, I choose to make my capital the one with the highest barracks even though there's another province with higher barracks level to start with because should I lose a war, the capital is the only province I know will remain safe from being taken away via surrender treaty!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 7
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 11:37:45 PM   
Joram

And with that I'm hitting the sack as it's getting on towards midnight.  Feel free to ask questions and I or others will do our best to answer them later.  If there's something particular you want to see, like me rushing Austria while it's at war with France, let me know.  My initial thoughts on a plan of action though is to build up my troops for awhile and maybe kick Russia out of my house.  But we'll see. 

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 8
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/6/2009 11:48:17 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

So without further ado (or is it adieu?)

It's "ado." As in Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing."

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 9
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 3:41:29 AM   
Missouri Rebel

Those screenshots really show off the map, which is excellent btw.

How does one gain experience and does it carry over through the turns or is excess wasted?

Is there a set starting amount?

Do some nations get more/less?

Thanks again Joram.

mo reb

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 4:36:32 AM   
balto

How does bayonet practice carry over to Quick Combat?

Thanks.

(in reply to Missouri Rebel)
Post #: 11
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 8:27:28 AM   
moose1999

This is very informative.
Looking forward to the rest!

regards,

Briny

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 12
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 8:51:33 AM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

So without further ado (or is it adieu?)

It's "ado." As in Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing."

Thanks Gil! I never was very good in English! :) Err, at English. Whatever!

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

How does bayonet practice carry over to Quick Combat?

Thanks.

That's a great question Balto and while I know all upgrades give you a benefit it Quick Combat, since the manual is not quite all in one place yet I can't find exactly how it contributes. Maybe Gil or Eric can help elucidate.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri Rebel

Those screenshots really show off the map, which is excellent btw.

How does one gain experience and does it carry over through the turns or is excess wasted?

Is there a set starting amount?

Do some nations get more/less?

Thanks again Joram.

mo reb

Nations do have a set amount of initial experience which can vary by Nation and scenario. But after that, experience is generated via the total number of barracks (or docks for naval experience) or via combat (win or lose). In fact, here's a screenshot of the military advisor. Notice at the bottom where it shows how many experience points I get per quarter, 7 land, 1 naval. My barracks spending spree that I mentioned before will help this but it will be awhile before I see the fruits of this. 7 pts is not a lot as even basic training upgrades cost 60+ pts (which also can vary by nation). Individual unit upgrades, which you can see several in this shot however can be purchased for as low as 4 pts or cost as much as 15.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 8:56:02 AM   
Joram

And here is a partial list of unit upgrades. This list actually varies by morale and I chose my lowest morale unit because I didn't want to spoil all the fun! As you see, the majority of upgrades cost 7, with an occasional 4 and the highlighted one is 15. Which in fact I can't afford and would be grayed out if I hadn't highlighted it.

Higher morale units get a list that is over twice as big. And navy have their own set of improvements.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 14
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 9:03:38 AM   
Joram

Ok, so the last thing I did was try to get a loan from Austria which I don't really need but if they accept it, it may just help our relationship which is a bit rocky. So I hit the end-turn button and here is part of the event report for that turn.

Notice my gps are now at 113. 100 for the starting bonus I had plus 13 more for achieving certain 'political goals'. Which in Poland's case is simply controlling provinces they already control but in many cases for other nations it is necessary to control enemy territories.

Turkey declared war on Montenegro which cost it some glory for picking on the little guys.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joram -- 2/7/2009 9:29:28 AM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 15
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 9:08:12 AM   
Joram

It's now July 1792 and during the interphase I had several warning come up because of Russia's buildup and transgression of my territory. (This actually happens while the AI is working and before the event report so sorry this is slightly out of order)

Here's one of those messages and the options I have. I choose to ignore this as I don't think I'm quite ready to take on the Russian army. Plus, I'm trying to see if news filters to me on the progress of the war between France and the Austria/Prussia coalition.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 16
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 9:15:55 AM   
Joram

Ok, so now the AI ends and I look at the event report to see not much has happened. I'm going to focus a little bit more on knowing my nation so here is the supply/upkeep report. Notice replacements flowing to my units and also notice that cavalry (as well as artillery and guard units) get replacements at a slower rate than infantry.

But also notice the supply costs for the two lancer units (and cav in general really). Ouch! Those may be good units but is costing me an arm and a leg to keep them. I decide to let the good citizens feed them and put them inside Krakow which lowers their upkeep costs by approx. half. This is a good practice to utilize while you are waiting for things to happen. Units in fortress are automatically supplied and receive reinforcements too so I could theoretically spread my units around my various cities and not need the depot I built.

Since i hadn't mentioned it yet, depots are free to build/destroy but are they cost money to leave up from turn to turn. However, depots are necessary for your units to be considered 'in supply' for combat purposes as well as the only way to have more troops than the forage value of the province allows without having a significant attrition penalty. Which you can see for Vienna which I just happened to have highlighted, is about 50k troops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joram -- 2/7/2009 9:18:20 AM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 17
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 9:25:14 AM   
Joram

Looking at the production report, I see that Plotsk is an important province. Looking on the map I see that it's just south of East Prussia which is part of the major nation, Prussia. Who doesn't like me right now. Advanced economy of course would show all the commidities.

If I were to fight a war and lose, that province is in danger of being taken away from me so I better stay nice with Prussia. Indeed, Poland is in a precarious and somewhat unique position of having nearly every province adjacent to a major nation.

The significance of that is you can only ask for or lose provinces adjacent provinces so for instance, if I happened to go to war with Spain and win, I couldn't ask for Granada. Islands are an exception to this rule though so I could ask for Majorca. Suffice it to say, I need to choose my enemies and allies with particular care.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 18
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 9:27:59 AM   
Joram

Not much else is going on so the last thing I do this turn is purchase a merchant. Merchants can be a decent source of income. The risk here is that I have absolutely no fleet to protect it so if I go to war with someone with a decent fleet, it can be sunk and I've wasted my money. Note that it takes awhile to build ships, any ships, so again it pays to think ahead.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 19
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 9:34:51 AM   
Joram

Turn ends and I still getting transgressions from Russia and I'm still choosing to ignore them. Spain declared war on the Italian city-state of Genoa. France won a couple naval battles, one against Austria and one against Prussia. No reports of land battles though.

Austria apparently didn't want to loan me the money. No idea though if it is because they don't like me or maybe just didn't have it. I can see there's a loan request between Prussia and Spain. France added the Skirmisher training doctrine to their repertoire.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 20
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 9:40:44 AM   
Joram

Not much really is going on in August 1792 because I'm primarily building up my troops. One side affect of adding these new replacements to my troops is that it is lowering some of my troops morale. The replacements are coming in with a morale of 3.95 so my unit that started off at 6.5 is losing morale having gone down to 6.27.

Also, a Russian diplomat has decided to enter my territory. Poland doesn't have any diplomats to start with so I effectively have no counter. We'll have to see if he's just passing through or is going to cause mischief. Thankfully he doesn't appear to be a particular good one (values go from 10-70 in scale) but he does have a decent espionage score which is useful for spying.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joram -- 2/7/2009 9:43:46 AM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 21
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:00:49 AM   
Joram

So after hitting the end turn, August actually produced some real intriguing developments.

First, there were a couple land battle. France won a big one in Luxembourg (and indeed wound up conquering it from Austria), but lost a small one Isle de France. Generally, people absolutely hate it when you have foreign troops marching through your capital so if France doesn't do something about that in the coming months, they can very much lose the war even if they win the majority of battles.

Also note I tried to ask Great Britain for an alliance which they promptly refused.

Note the glory benefits for the battle results. Winning side gets a positive, losing side gets a negative.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 22
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:10:17 AM   
Joram

Now here's the other intriguing development. France actually is proposing a three-way between me, Poland and themselves. Now, I've always known the French were kinky but wouldn't have expected them to get in bed with Britain.

Before I make too many suppositions though, let's see exactly what France is proposing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 23
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:15:56 AM   
Joram

Going through the diplomacy advisor-> View Treaties button, you see the proposal. Here you see they've proposed a standard tri-lateral protection treaty where one will be forced to declare war on the enemies of the others in that timeframe. Again, this treaty is intriguing because if it does happen to pass, Britain and myself will have to declare war on Prussia and Austria.

Knowing that Prussia is occupying France's capital, there is also the remote chance that France could surrender before this treaty comes into affect (January). If that were to happen, then no war would be declared but I still get payment from France! Plus I have two nice allies in case I choose to pick a fight with Russia. (Yes, they would have to declare war even if I picked the fight). Hmmm. Let's see how likely that scenario is.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 24
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:22:04 AM   
Joram

So here's the nation report which you can get through via Diplomacy->View Relations tab (which is default)->Country Details.

Highlighting France's morale I see it's 380 which is decent but not great. However, it is a long way from surrendering. In fact, France is a bit of a bear to get to surrender because Napoleon himself adds to the morale since he's such a hero. They however do not have 'nationalism' yet (like they do in later years) so it still may be possible. Decisions decisions! I'd almost prefer France to lose because I'd hate to get drawn into a war with both Austria and Prussia. I'm reasonably sure I could defeat one but not both at the same time if it were to come to it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 25
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:29:24 AM   
Joram

Well, I decided to throw caution to the wind and accept the treaty after I could have sworn I overheard some Austrian joke about Poles and firing squads. Insult me will they! However, the whole treaty became moot as Britain, rather unsurprisingly, decided they didn't want any part of France.

No battles were fought which must mean the Prussian army sitting in Paris and raiding the cafes for decent coffee is pretty strong.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 26
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:31:51 AM   
Joram

One other interesting note for this turn was that France actually managed to cause a coup in Piedmont and thus instantly added two provinces to it's empire. Diplomats can be quite powerful. Sure wish I had some! The event report shows other diplomats trying to do this as well but only France so far has been successful.

Note that this causes a certain amount of unrest so they won't be contributing much for a few months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 27
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:44:02 AM   
Joram

Ok, so since this is just to show off different things, I've decided to take a gamble. The tri-part pact didn't work but I just noticed that Austria has left her capital wide open. I know this may likely bring down the wrath of Prussia (though not definitely), I may try to get a quick strike into Vienna and force some land concessions. If I do it quick enough, and Prussia isn't done with France yet, I may then be able to defend myself against Prussia if they choose to attack later.

Plus, Krakow is feeling kind of cramped and it would be nice to have some more room so Austria doesn't do the same trick to me!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 28
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:48:25 AM   
Joram

Declaring war! Note, that I can't move in on the same turn I declare war this way. If I want to do that I could do a 'surprise attack' but then I believe you take a relationship hit with everyone and I don't want that. So after I declare war, I simply end the planning and hit end-turn. Also notice the new 'total war' option. If I did that, Austria would not be allowed to surrender and I would have to conquer every last province. Austria is a bit big for me to try that plus again, I would take a massive relationship hit with everyone.

edit - you can bring this popup by right clicking on any Austrian province, though I just happened to have my cursor over the capital, that's not required.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joram -- 2/7/2009 10:49:43 AM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 29
RE: AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy - 2/7/2009 10:56:29 AM   
Joram

Nov 1792 . Ok, so the results of Octoberweren't exciting. No battles were fought which means France is definitely in trouble. Prussia continues to siege Paris and I speculate France has only two or three more months before the people force the government to surrender.

Also, on a side note, you can see snow is falling in some of the provinces. (it's grayed out a bit since I have the event window open) It in fact is falling in almost the entirety of Russia and some of my border provinces. I suppose I should have thought of the timing before I declared war because snow can interrupt my supply lines and I would take massive attrition casualties if I'm not careful.

However, what's done is done and time to plan my attack on Vienna.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> AAR - Poland 1792 Scenario - Simple Economy Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI